Bob's Steak & Chop House - San Francisco
500 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Bob's Steak & Chop House - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bobs-steakandchop.com/
- Phone: (415) 273-3085
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 6:30am - 10:00am; Saturday - Sunday, 7:00am - 11:00am. Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:00pm. Dinner: Nightly, 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Thomas Rhodes
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: The popular bar features two 42" HD plasma televisions for watching your favorite game!
A word from Bob's Steak & Chop House - San Francisco
Bob's Steak & Chop House is ranked as one of the top steakhouses in the country. USDA Prime Beef seasoned and broiled perfectly. On top of that, the salads are huge, the shrimp are monsters and the bread is to die for. Our service is experienced, the wine list is extensive and the drinks stiff. If you’re not a regular already, come by and let us prove why we're so proud of what we do. Bob's Steak & Chop House...Just like the last time...Just like the next time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bob's Steak & Chop House - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)good for groups (16)great for lunch (16)fit for foodies (16)romantic (15)notable wine list (12)neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Solid as alwaysSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 11/20/2014Bob's is a good go-to for lunch with beef choices, as well as salads with beef, crab or other proteins. They accommodated me by serving creamed spinach, which is usually only on the dinner menu. The steak was cooked to the right temperature but was not seared on the outside. Our waiter was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great!sfrobDined on 11/15/2014The experience was good but nowhere near great. The filet was good but did not have the WOW factor that say Mortons gives. Service was above average and staff although spoken with a heavy accent and at times not complet understandable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was superb from the moment we walked inOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Wait staff was attentive but not intrusive. Knowledgeable of full menu, made accommodations for appetizers - calamari and 1/2 order onion rings. Thankful we took this suggestion, too much food. Steaks prepared to perfection, carrots were amazing. For a few bucks husband opted for cream corn and would of willing pd even more. Even warm bread and fresh butter was amazing. Finished it all off with Key Lime Pie -of which hubby is a bit of an expert- says it was the best he's ever had. I had the 4 layer chocolate cake. Do not attempt this one alone, you'll leave depressed that your wasting such a lovely desert. Probably the best meal we had in San Fransisco. Can't wait to get to Dallas and compare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best steakdrepewseyDined on 11/8/2014The food and steaks are the best. I go there every yr for our anniversarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/7/2014I always order the same thing when I go there: the filet mignon and the spinach salad. The food is always prepared the way I like it and the service is always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/4/2014The food and service were excellent. The dining experience was very enjoyable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed BagMaverickDined on 10/31/2014We looked forward to trying Bobs since we are staying at several Omni Hotels around the US. The wait staff immediately provided water and bread. We waited almost 20 minutes to order. We ordered 2 appetizers that never arrived. Salads were excellent especially blue cheese salad. Our party had the bone in KC New York and rack of lamb. Portions were generous especially rack of lamb and cooked to order. Sides especially carrot and whipped potatoes were exceptional. Wine list was good. Closed with a tasty key lime pie. Overall a very nice evening on a quiet Friday night but front of the house needs attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for SteakDrRestaurantVIPDined on 10/27/2014Excellent service. The steak was good, but not particularly memorable. Great side dishes especially the onion rings. Very pricey restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014Steaks were delicious, cooked just as ordered. We were in San Francisco for our 25th anniversary, and this was the perfect place to celebrate. Great wine list. Service was quick and attentive.Special Features:
- Predictably goodPenguinVIPDined on 10/17/2014I go here often; great waiters!; good service, great location and close to teansportationSpecial Features:
- Never again!Badtaste50Dined on 10/5/2014This was my 50th birthday and it was not a good. My lobster was over cooked and the butter tasted strange. Way over priced! Never again!!!
- AWESOME EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The staff at Bob's was fantastic. Excellent food, service and overall experience. My wife and I will definitely be back. If you are looking for a great dining experience. Then Bob's Steak and Chop House is the place to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- duderino1Dined on 10/3/2014We dined at Bob's after a glowing recommendation from the concierge we spoke with. The service was quite attentive and willing to help in any way we requested. However, the food was abysmal. The crab cake appetizer was without question the worst attempt of a crab cake i have ever eaten. Too much batter and burnt. My wife's steak was completely nuked and hard as a hockey puck. My shrimp dinner was pathetically torched as well. Luckily we had the good sense to skip dessert. I will not go back.
- Very niceJoshDined on 9/30/2014Frankly we went here because a couple of other nationwide steak restaurants were full and I've always wanted to try Bob's. We made an excellent choice, and Bob's may have moved to the top. This was an excellent steak, excellent service and over all exactly what I expect from an high end Steak House. Waiters were personable but not obsequious, food was done exactly right, great wine list, unpretentious and perfect for what 2 guys on a big per diem were looking for. Enjoy!
- Predictably good!PenguinVIPDined on 9/23/2014I go here often because of the location and the wonderful service and people who work there. Salads the best or the hamburger.Special Features:
- Top notch serviceBigKDined on 9/15/2014Fantastic server. I ordered the Cote de Boeuf, as recommended as the house specialty. It was the worst cut of meat I have been served in a restaurant. These things happen and the staff replaced the steak and were very professional. The rest of my party had great food and would highly recommend. The staff was 1st class, the decor, very nice. Private booths would be great for date night.Special Features:
- ljT0691Dined on 9/10/2014It was ok but not really anything special. Onion rings were cold. Service was great. There's a lot of restaurants here I'd probably a few other ones before I went back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't get much rightADinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014Really surprising that they could not cook the steaks properly in 4 out of 5 of our orders. This is a steak restaurant right. I have been here several times before and it was much better. Hope it's not going downhill.
- Always GoodpsalazarDined on 8/27/2014Met a friend for lunch and as always it was great. We both had the crab cobb...yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014The food was underwhelming for the price-point. There are plenty of other restaurants in the area that serve higher quality products at the same price.
- DissatisfiedVIPDined on 8/20/2014The attentive service and good food made for a great meal, especially when it's business. Never fails to impress and it's also a great place to watch people parade past the window as you bite down on excellently done steak and fries or shrimp and grits. Thanks for great ambience, the very nice young woman who waited on us and the quickly vanishing food once it made its way to our table! All topped by a piece of the best chocolate cake I've had in years!Special Features:
- Food qualityLovtotasteDined on 8/19/2014For a very expensive restaurant, the food is just okay. I would keep looking for better food and menu.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodAztecLadeeDined on 8/12/2014Steak melted in my mouth, awesome mashed potatoes and the best cream corn. Portions are large, we split the steak dinner. Service was first class.Special Features:
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Awesome potatoes and the beef was of great taste. We really enjoyed the food and rest service. no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated - UnderdeliveredNotReturningToBobsDined on 7/31/2014We went to Bob's on 7/31/14 to celebrate birthdays. Two in our party ordered New York strip steaks - server described the steaks as slightly under 1" thick. The steaks delivered were under 1/2" thick. Two ordered Filet Mignon, medium. One Filet arrived well done, the other was burned - black and hardened- on the outside. We waited...and waited... for the server, finally asked a bus person to locate our server. The manager brought replacement Filets to our table with a sincere apology. One replacement Filet was still cooked well-done, not medium. The manager did not charge for the Filets. Although the attempt to 'fix' things was appreciated, the special birthday luncheon was a flop. Applebees/Chilis could have done better.
- The following 759 reviews are from the Bob's Steak & Chop House - San Francisco reviews archive.
- SusanDined on 7/17/2014I had the filet mignon with mashed potatoes and carrots and the meat was cooked to perfection and melted in my mouth. We were seated in a little room off of the dining room and really enjoyed the privacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThomasDined on 7/15/2014Steak was good, service was way too fast, acting like mechanical robots. The waiter was obviously interested in feeding us with three courses in not more than 45 minutes. Americans may appreicate this, Europeans don't.Special Features:
- Poorly cooked steakDisappointedVIPDined on 7/13/2014We ate at this restaurant while on vacation. We both ordered the 9oz filet medium rare and were severely disappointed in how the meat was cook. The cook charred the outside so badly that you could hear the crunch when you tapped on the steak with a fork. I actually had to cut off the outside layer of the steak in order to eat what was underneath, almost like you would peel off the skin of a piece of fried chicken. We are from KC and are avid steak eaters but have never seen a steak so poorly cooked. On a lighter note, we ate the salmon appetizer which was quite good. My wife loved the smashed potatoes and the enormous carrot was quite good. I am not a cooked carrot eater but I was surprised at how good it tasted.Special Features:
- Great Steaks-hidden gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014Bob's Chop House. I have eaten there 5 times and it just keeps getting better. If you love 'Steak' you will certainly like this.Special Features:
- Best steaks in town!AceInayamaDined on 6/27/2014I've been to them all and Bob's is my favorite! I usually have the bone in ribeye, but this time I had the Kansas City strip, which is the prime bone in new York strip. It was excellent!!
- A Hidden SurpriseReginaDined on 6/20/2014My friends were staying at the Omni so I came up from the south Bay area to meet them. It was perfect. I enjoyed the bar before dinner, a nice crowd, not crowded. Dinner was amazing (5 of us) and the service was impeccable but not stuffy. The ambience was also great. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience. I will be staying in SF this coming weekend and plan to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PolonaDined on 6/14/2014I have found a recommendation for the restaurant on internet. All i can say is - best steak I've ever had. We were party of 5, all very satisfied with the food!Special Features:
- SF Steak LoverSF2014Dined on 6/13/2014My "prime rib eye" steak was a disappointment, as compared to my great experience in January 2014. The questionable "prime" quality steak was dense in texture, and did not taste or look like it had much marbled fat, that makes the meat tender. When I complained to the chef, he stated he has no control over the steak quality, since they are purchased and shipped from the company cental warehouse. My friend also had the same kind of steak but my husband's steak was quite good. The chef offered another steak to take home, but I opted to have my order taken off the tab. I left disappointed with my "steak" experience. Service and ambiance is very good, but when the menu says "Prime", there should be better quality control.Special Features:
- Classy Classic "club" likeNeverAgainDined on 6/12/2014I wanted a place for a serious business meeting; asked for a quiet table, and got a very private booth area. Felt like an old fashioned private club. Excellent service, good, classic food. I had wild salmon - delicious. I'm especially impressed with the service, and space between tables. This is a rare find for SF for business meetings. a Classic!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/4/2014Can always be counted on to never disappoint in food or service. Great portions for any meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFidifoodieDined on 5/27/2014Frequent this place for work lunches. It's definitely a "bankers" restaurant. That said, food is always great. Recently tried something new the chicken fried prime with the mashed potatoes and it was heavenly! Worth a try for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingJMKyonoDined on 5/25/2014I haven't eaten here in a while but I chose this place for my wife's 40th birthday. I was very surprised and thrilled that they had given us a private dining booth which is part of the reason for the high marks. It made it all the more special. It was excellent and what I would consider one if the top three restaurants in the bay area for prime steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would Not Returntable44Dined on 5/24/2014I selected this restaurant for a birthday celebration. We were seated into an empty restaurant, right near the view of the service doors that allowed me to peer into the kitchen which was not pleasant. The support staff was pleasant but had challenges understanding any request. Our server was brusque, and was clearly annoyed when we asked for anything out of the ordinary. She had to take a steak back for further cooking and as the restaurant added a few guests - didn't come back for 10+ minutes while we had not had the rest of our meals [e.g. baked potatoes dressed] served completely. My mother actually had to get the serving item off another table and then we were scolded for doing it ourselves. I was disappointed.
- horrible food and service.horribleDined on 5/22/2014Too salty side dishes. You should taste your food. Need a new chef. I dont mind to pay for good food and great service. U cant even cook a steak right. We ordered 5 sides and they were all unedible.
- A special nightLuv2dineDined on 5/16/2014Took my partner here for her birthday. What a wonderful evening! From the cocktails in the bar to the last bite of birthday cake, the entire evening was special. Chef Rhodes made some great suggestions -- from the appetizers to the main entrees -- and we both enjoyed them thoroughly! George, our waiter, was the best -- attentive, helpful and very friendly. Even the sous chef, Santana, came by our table twice to pay a friendly visit to see that all was good with us. We were in a very beautiful and classy restaurant but we felt like we were with longtime friends in their home. We both loved the entire experience. We've told so many people about it and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.