Bob's Steak & Chop House - San Francisco
500 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Bob's Steak & Chop House - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bobs-steakandchop.com/
- Phone: 4152733085
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 6:30am - 10:00am; Saturday - Sunday, 7:00am - 11:00am. Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:00pm. Dinner: Nightly, 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Thomas Rhodes
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: The popular bar features two 42" HD plasma televisions for watching your favorite game!
A word from Bob's Steak & Chop House - San Francisco
Bob's Steak & Chop House is ranked as one of the top steakhouses in the country. USDA Prime Beef seasoned and broiled perfectly. On top of that, the salads are huge, the shrimp are monsters and the bread is to die for. Our service is experienced, the wine list is extensive and the drinks stiff. If you’re not a regular already, come by and let us prove why we're so proud of what we do. Bob's Steak & Chop House...Just like the last time...Just like the next time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bob's Steak & Chop House - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (28)great for lunch (16)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (12)romantic (9)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Predictably good!PenguinVIPDined on 9/23/2014I go here often because of the location and the wonderful service and people who work there. Salads the best or the hamburger.Special Features:
- Top notch serviceBigKDined on 9/15/2014Fantastic server. I ordered the Cote de Boeuf, as recommended as the house specialty. It was the worst cut of meat I have been served in a restaurant. These things happen and the staff replaced the steak and were very professional. The rest of my party had great food and would highly recommend. The staff was 1st class, the decor, very nice. Private booths would be great for date night.Special Features:
- ljT0691Dined on 9/10/2014It was ok but not really anything special. Onion rings were cold. Service was great. There's a lot of restaurants here I'd probably a few other ones before I went back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't get much rightADinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014Really surprising that they could not cook the steaks properly in 4 out of 5 of our orders. This is a steak restaurant right. I have been here several times before and it was much better. Hope it's not going downhill.
- Always GoodpsalazarDined on 8/27/2014Met a friend for lunch and as always it was great. We both had the crab cobb...yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014The food was underwhelming for the price-point. There are plenty of other restaurants in the area that serve higher quality products at the same price.
- DissatisfiedVIPDined on 8/20/2014The attentive service and good food made for a great meal, especially when it's business. Never fails to impress and it's also a great place to watch people parade past the window as you bite down on excellently done steak and fries or shrimp and grits. Thanks for great ambience, the very nice young woman who waited on us and the quickly vanishing food once it made its way to our table! All topped by a piece of the best chocolate cake I've had in years!Special Features:
- Food qualityLovtotasteDined on 8/19/2014For a very expensive restaurant, the food is just okay. I would keep looking for better food and menu.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodAztecLadeeDined on 8/12/2014Steak melted in my mouth, awesome mashed potatoes and the best cream corn. Portions are large, we split the steak dinner. Service was first class.Special Features:
- Overrated - UnderdeliveredNotReturningToBobsDined on 7/31/2014We went to Bob's on 7/31/14 to celebrate birthdays. Two in our party ordered New York strip steaks - server described the steaks as slightly under 1" thick. The steaks delivered were under 1/2" thick. Two ordered Filet Mignon, medium. One Filet arrived well done, the other was burned - black and hardened- on the outside. We waited...and waited... for the server, finally asked a bus person to locate our server. The manager brought replacement Filets to our table with a sincere apology. One replacement Filet was still cooked well-done, not medium. The manager did not charge for the Filets. Although the attempt to 'fix' things was appreciated, the special birthday luncheon was a flop. Applebees/Chilis could have done better.
- SusanDined on 7/17/2014I had the filet mignon with mashed potatoes and carrots and the meat was cooked to perfection and melted in my mouth. We were seated in a little room off of the dining room and really enjoyed the privacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThomasDined on 7/15/2014Steak was good, service was way too fast, acting like mechanical robots. The waiter was obviously interested in feeding us with three courses in not more than 45 minutes. Americans may appreicate this, Europeans don't.Special Features:
- Poorly cooked steakDisappointedVIPDined on 7/13/2014We ate at this restaurant while on vacation. We both ordered the 9oz filet medium rare and were severely disappointed in how the meat was cook. The cook charred the outside so badly that you could hear the crunch when you tapped on the steak with a fork. I actually had to cut off the outside layer of the steak in order to eat what was underneath, almost like you would peel off the skin of a piece of fried chicken. We are from KC and are avid steak eaters but have never seen a steak so poorly cooked. On a lighter note, we ate the salmon appetizer which was quite good. My wife loved the smashed potatoes and the enormous carrot was quite good. I am not a cooked carrot eater but I was surprised at how good it tasted.Special Features:
- Great Steaks-hidden gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014Bob's Chop House. I have eaten there 5 times and it just keeps getting better. If you love 'Steak' you will certainly like this.Special Features:
- Best steaks in town!AceInayamaDined on 6/27/2014I've been to them all and Bob's is my favorite! I usually have the bone in ribeye, but this time I had the Kansas City strip, which is the prime bone in new York strip. It was excellent!!
- A Hidden SurpriseReginaDined on 6/20/2014My friends were staying at the Omni so I came up from the south Bay area to meet them. It was perfect. I enjoyed the bar before dinner, a nice crowd, not crowded. Dinner was amazing (5 of us) and the service was impeccable but not stuffy. The ambience was also great. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience. I will be staying in SF this coming weekend and plan to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PolonaDined on 6/14/2014I have found a recommendation for the restaurant on internet. All i can say is - best steak I've ever had. We were party of 5, all very satisfied with the food!Special Features:
- SF Steak LoverSF2014Dined on 6/13/2014My "prime rib eye" steak was a disappointment, as compared to my great experience in January 2014. The questionable "prime" quality steak was dense in texture, and did not taste or look like it had much marbled fat, that makes the meat tender. When I complained to the chef, he stated he has no control over the steak quality, since they are purchased and shipped from the company cental warehouse. My friend also had the same kind of steak but my husband's steak was quite good. The chef offered another steak to take home, but I opted to have my order taken off the tab. I left disappointed with my "steak" experience. Service and ambiance is very good, but when the menu says "Prime", there should be better quality control.Special Features:
- Classy Classic "club" likeNeverAgainDined on 6/12/2014I wanted a place for a serious business meeting; asked for a quiet table, and got a very private booth area. Felt like an old fashioned private club. Excellent service, good, classic food. I had wild salmon - delicious. I'm especially impressed with the service, and space between tables. This is a rare find for SF for business meetings. a Classic!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/4/2014Can always be counted on to never disappoint in food or service. Great portions for any meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 749 reviews are from the Bob's Steak & Chop House - San Francisco reviews archive.
- DeliciousFidifoodieDined on 5/27/2014Frequent this place for work lunches. It's definitely a "bankers" restaurant. That said, food is always great. Recently tried something new the chicken fried prime with the mashed potatoes and it was heavenly! Worth a try for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingJMKyonoDined on 5/25/2014I haven't eaten here in a while but I chose this place for my wife's 40th birthday. I was very surprised and thrilled that they had given us a private dining booth which is part of the reason for the high marks. It made it all the more special. It was excellent and what I would consider one if the top three restaurants in the bay area for prime steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would Not Returntable44Dined on 5/24/2014I selected this restaurant for a birthday celebration. We were seated into an empty restaurant, right near the view of the service doors that allowed me to peer into the kitchen which was not pleasant. The support staff was pleasant but had challenges understanding any request. Our server was brusque, and was clearly annoyed when we asked for anything out of the ordinary. She had to take a steak back for further cooking and as the restaurant added a few guests - didn't come back for 10+ minutes while we had not had the rest of our meals [e.g. baked potatoes dressed] served completely. My mother actually had to get the serving item off another table and then we were scolded for doing it ourselves. I was disappointed.
- horrible food and service.horribleDined on 5/22/2014Too salty side dishes. You should taste your food. Need a new chef. I dont mind to pay for good food and great service. U cant even cook a steak right. We ordered 5 sides and they were all unedible.
- A special nightLuv2dineDined on 5/16/2014Took my partner here for her birthday. What a wonderful evening! From the cocktails in the bar to the last bite of birthday cake, the entire evening was special. Chef Rhodes made some great suggestions -- from the appetizers to the main entrees -- and we both enjoyed them thoroughly! George, our waiter, was the best -- attentive, helpful and very friendly. Even the sous chef, Santana, came by our table twice to pay a friendly visit to see that all was good with us. We were in a very beautiful and classy restaurant but we felt like we were with longtime friends in their home. We both loved the entire experience. We've told so many people about it and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. PiriceyBill77VIPDined on 5/13/2014I have had very nice dinners at bob's. They are a very nice steak house. The bar is great to eat in as well. The prices are a bit over the top as is e case in most of San Francisco now so you will need to be on your expense account for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Good for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/12/2014Food was decent, nice evenly lit room, clean, service was great. Able to have a great business lunch with private conversation at normal tones.
- Awesome meal!BarleyBullDined on 5/8/2014Steak was incredible. Blue cheese stuffed olives in my Kettle One martini were great. Side dishes were perfect. Service was very pleasant. Only minor issue was that my friend asked for a dirty martini and it wasn't dirty. Food was so good that he didn't mind. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/4/2014Steak always prepared just the way we like. We are not much on potatoes so we always ask to substitute for an extra carrot. It was my friend's birthday. The waiter surprised us by bringing out a huge brownie covered with ice cream and chocolate sauce along with a candle to blow out. Service is always excellent. Staff always very attentive.Special Features:
- Best Steaks in TownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/1/2014Although this is part of a small chain of steak houses, this San Francisco restaurant had a quiet, soothing atmosphere and superb food was served by a professional, courteous staff. If you are looking for something that is unique to San Francisco - go somewhere else. If you want a tremendous piece of red meat (or the best fried jumbo shrimp) and a really good bottle of wine to go with it - eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatrt12Dined on 4/26/2014great place to eat dinner food and service was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Nightmarzsteakx2Dined on 4/26/2014A very fancy place, great for taking that special lady, or guy, on a date. Wonderful food, the mashed potatoes are amazing. a little on the expensive side, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Great Steak eveytime!!!weluv2eatDined on 4/26/2014My Wife and I come here 2 to 3 times a year and it is always wonderful!!! We have had the same server for the last two years Francisco and he is incredible. The steak was prepared to our liking and the creamed spinach was to die for. We will be back again and again......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerRuthtonDined on 4/24/2014Steak was average and sides were less than average so considering the price I was disappointed.
- Outrageous!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/17/2014We had the cobb salad & coffee. The salad was very basic with a small portion of crab for $23. Outrageous! We've had better coffee at McDonald's and they don't charge $5. I will never take my clients here again!
- Very expensive for quality of foodChrisDined on 4/13/2014I had filet mignon, and the beef was tender and juicy. Portions were huge. Service very attentive. However, my family and I were astonished at the high prices, and we frequently travel and are used to paying top dollar for top restaurants. While the food was good, it wasn't great, and the value was thus not there.
- Some (great) things never change.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014I had dined here before many years ago, and decided it was time to return. The meal was just as I remembered it, fabulous! The service was equally as wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKgaw7760Dined on 4/10/2014We booked this place for my wifes birthday while on vacation from Houston. My first mistake was not realizing this was part of the Omni hotel, nothing against Omni I just thought we were going to be dining at a stand alone steak house. The steaks were good, no complaints there. I had the bone in Rib-eye and she had the Fillet, these were on par with other steak houses such as Morton's, Vik and Anthony's, etc... Our waitress was nice and friendly, however she was slow and unorgainzed, it may have been one of her first days as she appeared young so we took it with a grain of salt. Overall, I would recommend this place if wanting a decent steak for a general night out, however I am sure there are much better places.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love It!!HarrODined on 4/5/2014We usually don't spend this kind of money on dinner, but it was a special occasion and when in Rome, etc..... Blown Away!! Great food, great service, wonderful bar tenders, the best hotel staff (every single one) in SF!!! I could go on and on but the bottom line is, if you have a special night or can afford it more often, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love steak, don't miss Bob'sLShayDined on 3/27/2014Bob's is a must in San Francisco! You won't find a better Kansas city strip steak anywhere. All the dishes we've tried have been yummy, even the giant, perfectly cooked carrot is a special treat ( I know, a giant carrot? ) but don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.