Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
809 15th St., NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: 2025890060x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Three private dining areas; three that can open up into one large room holding 95 persons seated; Minimum of twelve persons for a private room
- Private Party Contact: Management 2025890060x
A word from Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
Bobby Van's Steakhouse has been named Top Steakhouse in the Washington Magazine and best Porterhouse in DC in the Washingtonian. Along with our Prime, dry-aged beef, we offer the freshest seafood and wonderful specials. Our wine list is a best of Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)great for outdoor dining (63)romantic (48)great for lunch (46)good for groups (45)fit for foodies (42)notable wine list (41)neighborhood gem (33)late-night find (18)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (12)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- good restaurant, steep pricingworldtravellerDined on 8/23/2014Great place, good food (not exceptional) and lovely to eat outside on a warm evening in August. Two persons, one (shared) starter, great meat and a side dish for $200 isn't your average hamburger joint, but then again, you're in the capital of the world having dinner, so what do you expect? The salad is ready for improvement.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014We went for the first time for my husband's birthday. The food was excellent as well as the service. We would definitely recommend Bobby Van's to our friends.Special Features:
- Just Great!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/22/2014We were seated promptly and told that our waiter would take our order shortly. Well, "shortly" turned into such a long wait, that we asked someone to fetch the waiter. The waiter apologized, and the worst part of the evening was over. After that, the service was prompt and the food was great. The escargot appetizer "swims" in melted butter, but that's not a problem for me. I used bread to soak up the sauce. My petite filet was perfectly cooked. It was served with blue cheese and a sauce on the side. The sauce was delicious and enhanced the flavor of the meat (although the meat was fine on its own). My (very picky) husband had the lamb chops, and really enjoyed them. We didn't have room for dessert. Hopefully, we will next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Van DCHonestReviewerDined on 8/21/2014Bit pricey but great food and service. Had a $50 groupon for $100 worth of food. Ordered an appetizer(mussels), 1 petite steak and 1 rib eye, 2 sides, a soda and a wine. Total including groupon was about $160 not including tip. Without the groupon we would not have enjoyed this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MooseDined on 8/19/2014Great steaks. Had the fish tacos, they were splendid. The creamed spinach is the best in the south. Harry's salad, always. The location is the best in DC.Special Features:
- My husband is happyvicluvswineDined on 8/19/2014Went here for my husband's birthday cause he loves steak and thinks I can't cook them the way he likes (bloody). So I made the reservation and surprised him after work. Although they sat us a little close to the door the noise level wasn't bad at all, you didn't feel like you had to whisper but it was quite enough that if you wanted to have a quiet romantic conversation you could. I had the chicken and penne, the chicken was dry but overall a okay meal. My husband of course had the steak, and boy was he impressed, I don't think I have ever seen him smile that much. He cut into it and it was cooked to his specifications. He loved it, I they are a steakhouse and they do steak to perfection. I would recommend it for any steak loverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Maybe it was the company we were eating dinner with, maybe it was the GREAT waiter we had or maybe it was the perfect weather out on the patio.....we had a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Great experienceFoodieDined on 8/15/2014It was great to dine at Bobby Van's during restaurant week. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadie65Dined on 8/14/2014My dinner was excellent (fish cooked perfectly). Husband had filet which he said was not aged but satisfactory. Cocktails were great. Desserts were no where homemade. Tasted like they came directly from the freezer.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week MenuAngelaDCDined on 8/14/2014Unlike many other high end restaurants who present mediocre and menial restaurant week fare Bobby Van's no slacker. As a regular patron it was great to find the 10 Oz filet on the menu. I had mine medium rate. Perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Top NotchTerryT1Dined on 8/14/2014Lunches are definitely equivalent to dinners. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst dining experience in yearsDistrictDiningRocksDined on 8/14/2014I was with a group of 7 for an early lunch reservation. We were one of the only tables in the restaurant, yet the service was incredibly slow, inattentive, and rude. Ordering was rather painful, as the server didn't seem to know the restaurant week menu. 3 ordered the flat iron and 2 others ordered the filet mignon; however, 5 identical steaks were brought to the table. We were told they were all flat iron. Not wanting to delay the group, I tried the steak rather than insisting on what I ordered. While I've never actually tried eating an old shoe, I assume that's what it would taste like. When I asked to have my filet instead, the server reversed himself and told us that everyone received filet. There was more, but I'm out of characters.
- Wonderful Service!StephanieVIPDined on 8/13/2014BV's Steakhouse provided the best food, ambience and service I've had at a steakhouse in a very long time. Nelson started and ended our meal with great suggestions and recommendations. Everything from the steak to the mac & cheese to the cheesecake was divine! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KudosOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014I always ultilize restaurant week to try out places in which I havent been. Then, based on my experience determines whether I will go back. Hence, Bobby Vans is defiantly a place I will be returning. the 10oz Filet was cooked to perfection and just melt in your mouth. Then to top it off the prosciutto mac n cheese was to die for. The server was very knowledgeable and paced our meal nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad steakDCDinerDined on 8/12/2014Filet mignon cost $49 and was very poor quality...grisly and sub par flavor. The manager was rude and refused to give us a price break. I didn't expect a free meal, but when I asked for some concession, he offered an after dinner drink, which I did not want. For that price, there is no excuse for the steak quality I received. I will never go back.
- Great experienceFoodieDined on 8/12/2014Excellent service, great food. It is restaurant week and the service and food was 5 star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!AshburnerDined on 8/12/2014This is the place to go for good steak or seafood. The service is the best. They are knowledgeable and have worked there for years.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Our office team (5) came out for lunch and we all enjoyed it.Special Features:
- 247FoodieDined on 8/12/2014A group of 4 came for lunch during restaurant week. When I made the reservation through Open Table, I requested a nice table and got one. This was the first time I dined at this restaurant. From the moment we entered the premises, we were greeted promptly. The selections we made for appetizers, entree and desserts were all outstanding. One had pasta, two ordered fish, while I opted to upgrade and ordered filet mignon - tasty and perfectly done as ordered. All the food orders were delicious. Portions were generous. Service all around was impeccable. The restaurant ambiance was also quite nice, clean, and cozy. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best steakhouseEbbyDined on 8/11/2014The steak was tender and flavorful. The appetizer was magnificent. I had lobster,crab and shrimp cocktail. After eating the appetizer the waiter came around with a warm towel to wipe our hands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really, undercooked steak?ParticularbutnotpickyDined on 8/11/2014I have one expectation of any steakhouse. That is to cook a steak to the temp requested. The NY strip and filet we ordered both came out significantly undercooked. The cheescake and the choclate moose cake were nearly tasteless. The silver linning is that the bread was good as well as the mac & cheese and fried zuccini sides.
- Excellent Food and Serviceericoa1VIPDined on 8/8/2014Always a favorite. The service is good and welcoming. The menu is top notch. All dishes are well prepared. I recommend the seafood bouquet. I usually have the filet mignon but also recommend the porterhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks, poor serviceDCMeatLoverDined on 8/8/2014Food was great, but our server was rude. Sorry if I don't want to pay extra for your sparkling or bottled water. We both asked for tap water and that was the end of the server's smile. He spoke down to us the rest of the meal even though we ordered two ribeyes, two sides, and whiskeys. Steaks were cooked exactly as we like them (rare), and the sauteed spinach was tasty. However, the potatoes were burned and ridiculously salty. I'd go back for the steak if the server hadn't been so rude. Won't be back again though.
- Stole my Amex infoJohnniesopinionsDined on 8/2/2014Shady foreign staff. Poor service. Waited 20 mins after reservation time to be seated. Icing on the cake. Fraudulent charges on my Amex the next day. I love the other location on New York Ave
- GreenbeltMomDined on 8/2/2014The waiter was inattentive, water glasses went unfilled for most of the meal. The wait time to take our order and then for the food to arrive was excessive. Good thing the bread was delicious and we had plenty to talk about! The wine was excellent, the food was fine but served on cold plates. We have had much better experiences in the past at this expensive restaurant.Special Features:
- PackbackerVIPDined on 8/2/2014I feel like I've been let down by a friend. My husband and I have always had great food and wonderful service at Bobby Van's. It has been one of those things that we have been able to count on . . . Until now. While the food was good, there was nothing outstanding about it. The service was definitely below par, especially when we compare it to the first few experiences we had there. We have a Groupon for Bobby Van's, so I know we will be back. But unless we see definite improvement, it may be our last time.
- GreensDined on 8/1/2014My experience was great and the management was very gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical Steakhouse FareYummyDined on 8/1/2014The steaks were amazing, cooker right to temperature ordered. The escargot app was tasty but not exceptional, crab cakes contained minimal filler, celery was a nice addition. The waiter was sub-par at the start of the evening, but as the evening rush quieted he was more pleasant. Not bad for a groupon and outdoor setting but I much prefer The Prime Rib.Special Features:
- Bobby Van's never fails to pleaseCreatesastirVIPDined on 7/31/2014It's always a treat to go to Bobby Van's Steakhouse -- especially since they offer generous Groupon deals. The seared tuna dish is absolutely delicious; my guest had scallops -- which all goes to prove a steakhouse can handle the challenge of delicious seafood. The service is personal but not hovering. They go the extra mile to provide the whole dining experience to their customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafood tooAmocomidaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Was able to eat light with sesame seed tuna and mushrooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby vansGoodfoodguruDined on 7/28/2014Very good food....great service and noise level was reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice...Leesie273Dined on 7/26/2014Hubby and I had a wonderful time celebrating our 10 year anniversary there. My main issue was it would have been nice if they offer a side and veggie with the $39 filet mignon. I had no idea everything was a'lacarte before dining there. Sides are $9 extra. The good thing about the size is its enough to share amongst 2-3 people, which you rarely find in fine dining restaurants. The wait staff were extremely accommodating and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingntbdVIPDined on 7/25/2014being a steakhouse and a pricey one at that I expected the steak to be the best part of our meal. I ordered the NY strip and it was tasteless. I've had better at Lonestar. The rest of the meal was fine. And the service was very good. But it's hard to recommend a steak house but say don't get the steak.
- Great place for Fine diningrestaurantluverDined on 7/19/2014This was my 2nd time at this restaurant and each time using a Groupon. I really enjoyed everything. I did forget that the sides were family style so we had a lot of food to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usual.BigLebDined on 7/18/2014Bobby Van's never disappoints. Steaks cooked perfectly with char on the outside with plentiful sides and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance..just not great foodWilsonmc26Dined on 7/11/2014The restaurant is beautiful but if you spend $40+ for a piece of steak alone (no side included) it really should be more flavorful. My petite filet was gristly.
- Custom ServiceMcPhersonManVIPDined on 7/8/2014Went to Bobby Van's Steak for a quick pre-ballgame dinner. The service was outstanding. Got us in and out in time to make to the game. The Chef made us four (4) special request custom meals, not on the menu. Superior service all around.
- Washington D.C. SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014We recently dined here while staying in D.C. for the Fourth of July weekend. Overall the experience was good. We had an amazing waiter, Hector who was very professional and kind and always was there when we needed something. After requesting a new table after we were seated next to the kitchen the manager obliged us and moved us near the front of the restaurant. The food was good but definately not worth the price. We each had the filet with a prepared lobster. The filet was cooked a rare-medium which was fine since we ordered medium. The lobster was overcooked and rubbery but was okay. We passed on dessert but opted for coffee which was just OK. We had a great experience with Hector, our waiter, but I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Horrible Server and meh foodCellshadeDined on 7/4/2014Our server was a joke. Snobbish, wouldn't give a damn about anything. I had to pour my own bottle of wine. For 150$ for the two of us I can clearly say this might have been a jewelry 30 years ago; but these days you'd be better of anywhere else. Great disappointmentSpecial Features:
- Awesome ExperienceDeedeeDined on 7/4/2014Everything about Bobby Van's was awesome! Food, service was outstanding ! Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.