Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
809 15th St., NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: (202) 589-0060
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Three private dining areas; three that can open up into one large room holding 95 persons seated; Minimum of twelve persons for a private room
- Private Party Contact: Management 2025890060x
A word from Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
Bobby Van's Steakhouse has been named Top Steakhouse in the Washington Magazine and best Porterhouse in DC in the Washingtonian. Along with our Prime, dry-aged beef, we offer the freshest seafood and wonderful specials. Our wine list is a best of Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (109)romantic (64)great for outdoor dining (62)notable wine list (60)fit for foodies (58)good for groups (47)great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (12)great for brunch (11)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- My wife and I went there forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2008My wife and I went there for our anniversary. The food was great and service excellent!Special Features:
- Found this restaurant to beOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/1/2008Found this restaurant to be a Palm wannabe. For a steak house, I was disappointed in my steak. Was not tender and was on the dry side. Everything else was good but I didn't feel it to be worth the cost. Have dined at The Palm many times in Atlanta and will go to The Palm in Washington next time.
- Food was exactly what oneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2008Food was exactly what one would expect from a high-end steak house--good, but not spectacular. Service was not very good; i.e. could not get water glasses refilled, waiter rarely visited table, very slow to offer dessert after dinner and very slow to revisit the table after dessert.
- I took my family to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/29/2008I took my family to celebrate some birthdays and anniversaries and we couldn't have made a better choice. The staff was so attentive, the food was great and they made us feel like royalty. On top of all that the food was superb, as good a steak as I've ever had. Hands down the best steakhouse in DC!!!!Special Features:
- I found that for the price,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2008I found that for the price, the food was good, though not outstanding as we had heard...and we came all the way from Boston to see for ourselves for my birthday. The wine was very good, very impressive wine list to choose from. Dessert was probably the best part of the meal.Special Features:
- Two criticisms. 1. ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2008Two criticisms. 1. Server was not attentive, overly helpful or apologetic for mistakes. Didn't volunteer information that would have been helpful (they have a 10 ounce filet, not just the 16 ounce). Didn't apologize when food was sent back due to cooking error, etc. 2. Both steaks were not cooked to ordered temperature. The Med-Well Filet came out Well (very brown - no pink at all). The Med Ribeye came out Med-Well (very slight hint of pink). Sent the filet back and on the 2nd attempt at Med Well it came out much more Rare than even the Ribeye (which was ordered to Med). This was not a case of picky steak eaters, they just don't have a good handle on how to cook to the ordered temp (surprising for a steakhouse).Special Features:
- It was very nice althoughKatyaVPVIPDined on 7/4/2008It was very nice although we were seated next to a very loud large group and a couple of tables with babies. It was a bit disappointing since the restaurant was largely empty and we could have been seated a bit further away.Special Features:
- The steaks were VERY good...especiaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/4/2008The steaks were VERY good...especially the Ribeyes and NY Strips! Largest baked potatoes I have ever had in a restaurant. Food and wine menus were superb. A tad bit pricey, making it a "special occasion" eating experience only, for us, but a real treat, nonetheless. The ambience and customer service were well above average. I would highly recommend Bobby Van's Steakhouse to family and friends living in or visiting the DC area.Special Features:
- Steak was nothing to raveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/3/2008Steak was nothing to rave about and the sides were bland. When we go to good "Named" spots I would like to come out saying "WOW, that was worth it" Not here... bottom line, this place is not worth the bang for the buck.Special Features:
- We LOVE BOBBY VAN's in DCAwesomeVIPDined on 7/3/2008We LOVE BOBBY VAN's in DC and NYC. They took over Stella Osteria in NYC and it's FABULOUS!Special Features:
- Great food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/1/2008Great food, great service, fun bar, outdoor seating........what more could you want !! This is a real gem. I have come here with clients, co-workers, and family. Everyone has always been pleased. The Seafood Tower is terrific.Special Features:
- One of the best classic steakOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/19/2008One of the best classic steak houses in the nations capital!Special Features:
- I've enjoyed this restaurantRomeDined on 6/19/2008I've enjoyed this restaurant everytime I'm eaten there!Special Features:
- Service was excellent. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/18/2008Service was excellent. Food was just okay given the price. Portions were very generous.
- The service was very good:OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/17/2008The service was very good: inobtrusive and efficient. The food was also very good, though not remarkable (a shrimp is a shrimp; a filet mignon is a filet mignon, even if its a huge one, very well prepared). The Bearnaise sauce was good, but not outstanding. One thing did bug me, though. We ordered the seafood appetizer and for some bizarre reason it was presented on some sort of 2'-high rack, so high that I couldn't see who I was eating with and ended up dripping coctail sauce on my (brand new!) necktie. Why can't they just put the food on the table, for Pete's sake, where you can see it and get at it safely.Special Features:
- Very good steakhouse...anotherOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/14/2008Very good steakhouse...another transplant from NYC done very well. Enjoyed celebrating a birthday and took our 5yr old (was her first high end restaurant) and it worked out well. Excellent service and very good food.Special Features:
- The service was decent, theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2008The service was decent, the food was decent, the price was high, but it was okay good overall.Special Features:
- I'm not quite a regular atMickroverDined on 6/11/2008I'm not quite a regular at Bobby Van's in D.C., but I've dined there many, many times. Rarely are there any disappointments, and my most recent visit was no exception. Steak was very good, as was the attentive service. A delightful meal.
- Popular, comfortable and wellOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/10/2008Popular, comfortable and well run. The food is good, the service is excellent. A very enjoyable and reliable experience.Special Features:
- Service was terrible. WaitstaffOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2008Service was terrible. Waitstaff never asked how our food was. We had to ask for steak knives. Water was never refilled unless we asked. The menu prices reflect a top notch steakhouse but the service, attitude of the waitstaff and quality of the food are anything but.
- The waiters were extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/5/2008The waiters were extremely nice to my son, who was graduating high school that day. Several of them congratulated him. Even though we had an early (11:45 a.m.) reservation, we had to wait a really long time for our food (which was okay, because we booked well in advance of the ceremony, but otherwise could have been a disaster).Special Features:
- Very good food and service.AldinedhereDined on 5/31/2008Very good food and service. I've visited Bobby Van's in Manhattan, which I found to have a little better food, but service staff there seemed less attentive than in DC.Special Features:
- Always an outstanding meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2008Always an outstanding meal. While it can get crowded, amazed that people aren't lining up more. Great food, reasonably priced, nice setting, nice bar, outdoor seating.....Special Features:
- I understand that Bobby Van'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2008I understand that Bobby Van's is known for their steak but I was not impressed at all.
- The food was pretty good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2008The food was pretty good, the service was terrible !
- I always think of Bobby Van'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/23/2008I always think of Bobby Van's as a great spot for a business lunch. It's typically quiet and you can enjoy a great meal. It's pricey but overall a good value as the food is tasty and the atmosphere nice. There is almost certainly something on the menu for everyone. On this particular visit my group was seated next to a larger table of 6 that were very loud. Made for a difficult environment to have a conversation.Special Features:
- I had a great lunch but theOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/21/2008I had a great lunch but the host had trouble finding my reservation owing to my hyphenated name.Special Features:
- We visited for my son's universityOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/18/2008We visited for my son's university graduation and were very pleased. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Food was less impressive thanNYCvisitorVIPDined on 5/17/2008Food was less impressive than Bobby Van's in New York. Steak was overcooked. I ordered a $200+ bottle of wine. I was first presented with a glass that was not suitable for a cabernet. I was disappointed. I love NY!Special Features:
- We found the food and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2008We found the food and the service to be outstanding. It was a great evening and we certyainly will be back. ThanksSpecial Features:
- We had a very pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/15/2008We had a very pleasant experience and a delicious dinner. We would return and recommend it to our friends.Special Features:
- The maitre'd welcomed us andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/14/2008The maitre'd welcomed us and made us feel at ease. However, our waiter was indifferent/unattentive. He rudely dropped the sugar/sweetener container on our table. For dessert, we asked our waiter if we could have fresh berries - the immediate reply -no berries. We ordered warm apple cake(caramel sauce on the side). Our dessert arrived cold and felt that it came straight from the fridge(the caramel sauce was on the side). When we complained, our dessert was replaced by a warm cake with the caramel sauce spread all over the cake. As we were leaving, we saw fresh strawberries being served at an adjacent table. We complained to the maitre'd - he apologized and later called to offer more apologies and invited us to dine again at their restaurant.
- Extremely disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/13/2008Extremely disappointing. It's a chain and feels like one. Went for a work lunch. The waiter was rude and didn't get my order right. I ordered a steak salad without onions. He asked how I wanted the steak cooked. I said medium rare. The salad was $15. When it came, it seemed a bit more like an appetizer than entree - there was plenty of lettuce, but only 4 small strips of "steak" which looked like it had been left over - there's no way it was prepared for the salad as I was led to believe. Plus, there was very little blue cheese and way too much dressing. And there were onions which was annoying. Overall, the food was way too expensive and not worth it. My co-workers were similarly disappointed. Avoid this place.
- Loved it, as usual. We hadneptunegurlDined on 5/13/2008Loved it, as usual. We had a birthday lunch outside and it could not have been more perfect. Thanks!Special Features:
- I am aware that this is aOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2008I am aware that this is a Steakhouse and I am sure the steaks are probably awesome; however, the crab cakes were absolutely horrible and very disappointing for that price. I did, however, enjoy the sides (mashed potatoes, spinach and fried zucchini) and our server, Jenna, was absolutely wonderful and very friendly.
- The service began with theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2008The service began with the Valet attendants. They were top notch. We were then shown to our table. Nice location. We had a 10 month old, but that was not a problem for us, the staff nor the other guests. The lamb chops were spectacular. The scallops and shrimp was spectacular. The filet mignon was spectacular and cooked to perfection. One of the guests ordered the surf and turf. The filet mignon was very good, however, she had to send the lobster back because it was very, very dry. The substitute scallops were great. I would suggest sprucing up the place a bit. The floors show the wear of 30 plus years; a good stripping of the wood and buff job would add a lot. Also, brighten up the ladies room and add a baby changing tableSpecial Features:
- Clearly one of the best restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/2/2008Clearly one of the best restaurants in town. Great steaks. Been there for everything for business dinners, nice dinner out with my wife and brought my kids there for lunch. Bar and outdoor seating terrific. Staff is very friendly and remembers their repeat customers.Special Features:
- After being seated we wereSteakloverDined on 4/25/2008After being seated we were given bread and only received service after I found the host after waiting for 20 minutes. For the price, the food was mediocre at best. The jumbo shrimp cocktail was barely average. The steaks were decent, but slightly overcooked. When the meal was complete we were not even offered a desert menu and had to ask for it. We definately felt rushed to leave, and we will definately not rush to return. In short save your time and take your buisiness elsewhere.
- The food was terrible (steakOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2008The food was terrible (steak was excessively fatty...and yeah I know Prime beef has more fat but this was way beyond reasonable, the fried calimari wasn't crisp, instead it was soggy) we waited forever for our food and this place has absolutely no ambiance. Probably a good place to watch the Superbowl or NBA playoffs where rowdiness is expected. I really felt like I wasted $120. Dont' see myself coming there again, unless it's for a drink at the bar, but not dining.Special Features:
- Having lunch out on theirOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/25/2008Having lunch out on their street-side patio is a delight. Salads, burgers, and crabcakes all excellent -- and that's for a steakhouse.Special Features: