Bobby Van's Grill - New York Ave.
1201 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Bobby Van's Grill - New York Ave.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: 2025891504x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm: closed Sundays in January & August.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jun Chen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bobby Van's Grill - New York Ave.
Bobby Van’s Grill marks the return of the powerful New York City chop shop to the downtown D.C. area but with a new twist. This eclectic New American Steakhouse now boasts a slightly more casual family friendly atmosphere as well as catering to the Washington politician. This 536-seat D.C. destination is fully loaded! There’s four private, intimate and upscale dining rooms with their own bar and bar services. Two 40-foot long bars can be found with friendly bartenders serving strong drinks and even stronger conversations. The main dining room boasts views of both New York Avenue and the plush marble atrium of the adjoining building amidst its beautiful water fountain. This is an ideal place to meet for power lunches, family gatherings and late night dinners in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Bobby Van's Grill - New York Ave. - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bobby Van's Grill - New York Ave. reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)fit for foodies (72)romantic (69)good for groups (60)notable wine list (53)great for lunch (46)neighborhood gem (32)great for outdoor dining (27)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (12)scenic view (11)late-night find (10)Show More
- Saturday Strolling Saxophonist:Fun!BrunchtimeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent. Steakhouse pricey, nonetheless: Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014We were looking forward to our dinner at the Grill but the experience was disappointing. The service was poor, slow, and almost aloof. When we asked for a wine list it was dropped on our table without a word. We asked to have our appetizer prior to our salads and both were delivered at the same time. The waiter warmed up as the evening went on, but it was hard to forget the experience upon arrival to our table. They also did not honor the Living Social coupon correctly taking the discount on the after tax amount rather than reducing the cost of the meal and recalculating the tax.
- A Bump and GrinjwbrettDined on 8/30/2014Having eaten here a few times before, our experience this time I must say was a bit of an anomaly. In short, 45 minutes from appetizer order to arrival at table. Only after asking the manager what an appropriate expectation of wait time did the bacon wrapped scallops (TO DIE FOR) arrive - piping hot, and later found to have been generously comped. The pork chop was incredibly moist and tiramisu was scrumptious. And I must say the pre dinner martini at the bar was the best in quite a while! A perfect end to a slightly rough start. It happens. It's how they made it right that keeps us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening at Bobby Van'sPoppaZmurfDined on 8/30/2014Had a lovely evening with heavenly food. My filet mignon was huge and cooked to perfection. My date's salmon was a large serving and also cooked to just the right degree. We had the vegetable risotto and it was quite tasty. Our water and wine glasses never got empty and service was prompt. The only demerit is for forgetting the coupon we had presented when arriving; we had to remind the waitress and have the amount deducted from our bill. I'm sure to go back, just check your bill if using a coupon!Special Features:
- EMC73Dined on 8/29/2014Had a wonderful evening, great food and excellent service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as AlwayskdinDined on 8/28/2014I had visited the Bobby Van's Rockefeller Center location a few years ago during restaurant week and when I saw that there was a location here in D.C. I got pretty excited. My boyfriend and I have come to the D.C. location for a couple of date nights and the wait staff is always very attentive without being pushy. The food is always excellent, our steaks cooked to the perfect temperature; which, surprisingly, seems to be difficult to find, even amongst supposedly "good" steakhouses. We highly recommend coming here if you want a good steak, and will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014food was just sub great....service was great. i'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!JoeTexVIPDined on 8/27/2014I met a friend and former client for a late evening dinner. The entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful, but not overbearing. The filet was outstanding and prepare just as requested. Could not picked a better spot for a business meeting.Special Features:
- lose60Dined on 8/27/2014The waiter was absolutely excellent - attentive but not obtrusive. the breadbasket was sinfully delicious; glad that they served only enough for one helping as I would not have been able to eat my meal if there had been more bread or pretzels. always had second thoughts about ordering an entre that is not the speciality of the house, but I stepped out and ordered the grilled trout -- absolutely WONDERFUL. This was my first time going, but I will definitely return.Special Features:
- GreatnordokplDined on 8/27/2014The cold seafood app - was fresh and yummy. Ordered the special: Rockfish, fish was great but the side salad of beets w/pesto and blue cheese was an amazing highlight and the part of the meal I will remember longest. The glass of wine was a generous pour lasting through the meal. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGordonGekkoDined on 8/27/2014The food is absolutely delectable and cooked to perfection. The service is ok. We usually order the porterhouse and highly recommend it. It's great for sharing.Special Features:
- Good salad but so so noisyNobHilleryDined on 8/27/2014This is convenient to my office so I often take lunch guests. The food is consistently pretty good, a bit pricey for lunch but not at all outrageous. Service can be slow and a mite inattentive (too few wait staff for busy lunch hours, I felt like I was flagging down a bus to get a server's attention), as it was on this occasion. The big drawback is the ear-splitting noise level. I know restauranteurs like noise, but this is simply ear-splitting.Special Features:
- Great first date!AlexandriaLocalDined on 8/26/2014Had a great dinner at BVG. Food is exceptional, and the service is excellent. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soggy Steak SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The heading would say it all, but the medium cooked meat was cool, although cooked correctly. Clearly left sitting for awhile.
- ArtHVIPDined on 8/25/2014I had a ribeye steak cooked to perfection, and an excellent Cabernet to go with it. Service was excellent, the ambiance elegant and friendly. The perfect spot for a social dinner among friends. We were treated to a nice port wine on the house as a wonderful ending to a great meal. Thank you for that courtesy!Special Features:
- Bobby Van's GrillLarryDined on 8/23/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner at Bobby Van's! The Filet Mignon was perfectly cooked and probably the best steak I have ever had. The sides as well with garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli. Service was excellent from check in to finish from everyone at Bobby Van's. Also enjoyed the solo sax player who entertained with his classic renditions of straight ahead jazz compositions. I highly recommend this restaurant to the locals and those visiting our great city of Washington, DC. Thanks Bobby Van's and be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the jazz backgroundDCMikeDined on 8/23/2014Loved the food and the jazz sax player (it was a Sat nite )...Great ribeye and Mac & cheese !........And an excellent Manhattan !Special Features:
- Have never been disappointedanonymousDined on 8/20/2014The food here is excellent. My wife always wants to go here for their filet, oscar style (lump crab meat, hollandaise, and asparagus). I have had both steak and a burger - both were awesome! I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Would not go againOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014The service was very slow to be a high end steakhouse. The food was good, but it was very expensive for what you got. A baked potato was $8.00 with no toppings on it. I feel like this restaurant has gone down in the past six months.
- Excellent!!!WinendinedDined on 8/19/2014Food and service were both great!!! Thanks to Jose for making our night. Highly recommend this place for a special occasion or just a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive DinnerKEArionDined on 8/19/2014Most of the entrees are more than $25, particularly the seafood and the steak. The only reason I could afford to eat here was because I had a Living Social deal.Special Features:
- Great Birthday CelebrationCindyLDined on 8/16/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated his birthday there at the New York Ave. Bobby Van's. Our waiter was completely knowledgeable about every item on the menu. Warning -- the side dish portion are well beyond more than enough for two, as well as the salads. The Caesar salad wasn't a stand-out, but everything else we tried was: the Cajun ribeye (superb, boyfriend ate it all, and it was huge!), his loaded baked potato which again, was enough for more than two people...and my sea bass on a bed of risotto with a wonderfully rich (but not too) sauce, was cooked to perfection. All followed by creme' brulee for dessert, and we were happy! Extensive wine list as well. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic!BeBeDined on 8/16/2014I always enjoy the food, service and entertainment on Saturday evenings. This is one of my favorite spots!Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerLovbobbyvDined on 8/15/2014Dinner was great for the steak lovers but my chicken was a little dry. The waiter was great and when I mentioned it was my brother's birthday, he bought my brother a slice of cheesecake with a candle on it.Special Features:
- StupidNicknameIdeaDined on 8/15/2014The waiter was a counterpoint for the luxury restaurant.
- Another great meal!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014While the steaks are very good, don't miss the seafood. I started with 6 oysters on the half shell and wished I had opted for the full dozen. My husband had the rainbow trout, and I had the sea bass with grilled shrimp. Both were very, very good. Also, make sure to try the bread. The basket included 2 pieces that were like soft pretzels and they were the best! You have a choice of spicy mustard or butter, and I recommend the mustard for the pretzels. I would have requested more of the soft pretzels, but didn't want to ruin my appetite. The service is attentive, but not intrusive. Hope to see you there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm & Wonderful!BrandfirstDined on 8/15/2014Booked a "private booth for two" so that BFFs who had not been together in several years (as we live in different cities) could reunite for a long leisurely lunch. Our waiter for FANTASTIC, our booth perfect and the food over the top! Highly recommend Bobby Van's - class personified:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!aewsfoodieDined on 8/11/2014A night to remember...great service and food...a tad pricey but ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/11/2014The food was amazing. We ordered the ribeye and it was large enough for two people. The bread basket is a reason alone to come to this restaurant. We will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Not cheap but worth itMetroFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went for dinner to celebrate a special occasion. We both had the petite filet, which was larger than most restaurant's regular portion - both were cooked to perfection. The sides were perfectly cooked and seasoned as well. But, be prepared; the food isn't cheap, even with the 1/2 wine. If you go on a night when they offer a price fixed menu you can save.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in DCTravelFarToEatGoodDined on 8/7/2014Bobby Van's Grill at NY Ave is not just a steak house, it is a full dining experience. From the food, servers,and atmosphere, everything is excellent. I have been there over 12 times in the last year and I have never been disappointed. I highly recommend this restaurant if you want great food and great service! Everything on the menu is perfectly prepared and they give huge portions, so you will get your money's worth. I cannot say enough great things about this restaurant and tell everyone if they are DC that they MUST eat at Bobby Van's Grill on NY Ave. All of the waiters are great, but I especially want to point out Linda who is just AWESOME! They all go the extra mile to ensure the patrons are well taken care of! Must go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 for dinnerRalphDined on 8/7/2014Very good. Pork chop dinner for my husband and vegetables grilled for me.Special Features:
- Never Dissapoints.JaywestVIPDined on 8/4/2014Bobby Van's is one of those establishments that has maintained a consistent streak of delivering excellent food, good service and an enjoyable evening. I will continue to dine there, as I always know what to expect and it never dissapoints.Special Features:
- PerfectoLaronDined on 8/2/2014Bobby Vans was all that!!!! We celebrated my husband's 50th birthday there and I tell you everything was top notch from entrance to exit... And the food was five star all the way !!!!!!! If you go there for dinner, don't nothing the entire day before you go!!!! The serving are really big and you have to get a to go bag!! Save room for dessert !!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was mediocre for the priceScottDined on 8/2/2014food was mediocre for the price. My wife's filet mignon was tough. the staff was friendly.. . ..Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/30/2014The service was great. The food was delicious. The prices were perfect! Great place for a date.Special Features:
- Office LunchBrighteyes1311Dined on 7/29/2014This was my first time dining here. While the service was rather slow, the food was great. It was a beautiful day and we sat on the patio. The chairs are not comfortable and because the tables are so close to the sidewalk you are subjected to the random homeless person who decided to stand on the sidewalk and harass the restaurant patrons. It was rather unsettling. I would return simply because the food was good. Next time, however, I will be dining indoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SeafoodladyDined on 7/26/2014I must admit that I come to Bobby Van's for the crab cakes and calamari. The bread is great too.Special Features:
- Never disappointsLauraDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I went to Bobby Van's Grill for our anniversary. Everything was perfect, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service. Worst steak.DiningoutDined on 7/25/2014Very slow. After waiter took our order he did not come over again until the end of the meal. Ordered a filet mignon and it came out overdone at medium well with the outside almost burned. However, nobody came over to ask how our food was. Very disappointing for what we spent on dinner.