Bobby Van's Grill - New York Ave.
1201 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Bobby Van's Grill - New York Ave.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: 2025891504x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm: closed Sundays in January & August.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jun Chen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bobby Van's Grill - New York Ave.
Bobby Van’s Grill marks the return of the powerful New York City chop shop to the downtown D.C. area but with a new twist. This eclectic New American Steakhouse now boasts a slightly more casual family friendly atmosphere as well as catering to the Washington politician. This 536-seat D.C. destination is fully loaded! There’s four private, intimate and upscale dining rooms with their own bar and bar services. Two 40-foot long bars can be found with friendly bartenders serving strong drinks and even stronger conversations. The main dining room boasts views of both New York Avenue and the plush marble atrium of the adjoining building amidst its beautiful water fountain. This is an ideal place to meet for power lunches, family gatherings and late night dinners in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Bobby Van's Grill - New York Ave. - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bobby Van's Grill - New York Ave. reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (74)fit for foodies (57)romantic (56)good for groups (49)notable wine list (44)great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (29)great for outdoor dining (22)hot spot (20)great for brunch (12)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (10)scenic view (10)Show More
- Put on your Radar ScreenjanniegirlDined on 10/15/2014I love Bobby Van's grill and I think DC diners overlook the great food here. So I say put this restaurant on your radar screen!Special Features:
- Getting the check took a whiledcbpVIPDined on 10/15/2014I'm not really sure what happened but we waited for a while for the check. I even asked for it, and it never came. Finally I put my card out, but then the waiter just took the card without ever showing me the bill. So I asked again. He eventually brought it but it just felt like it took a while.
- Great Night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We celebrated our 6th anniversary here and they made sure our night was special. Everything from bread to desert was delicious. Our server was incredible. Wished us a happy anniversary and made they made sure we had a nice table that gave us privacy. Waiter helped us choose a nice wine which was half off and the desert he surprised us with was incredible and on the house. It was one of the best experiences we have had for dinner anywhere. If they ever open a Bobby Van's near me we will be regulars. Thank you so much for making our night so special!Special Features:
- FantasticBeBeVIPDined on 10/11/2014I always enjoy my food and Saturday night entertainment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pix FareJWPaisVIPDined on 10/10/2014We tried the pix fare which was an appetizer/salad, main course, and desert. It was perfect for the price, my husband had the steak and I had the monkfish. His steak was cooked to perfection and my fish was over-cooked! It was place over a bed of mashed potatoes, it made the fish mushy and the veggies were also over cooked. I was disappointed...Special Features:
- BV LunchWolf53DvrDined on 10/9/2014Had a quick business lunch with my team. Nice food and good atmosphere. It is a bit noisy so don't expect to be able to converse on a normal level.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsGreatDined on 10/8/2014I was in DC on business and wanted a good steak. Found Bobby Van's on the map was nearby so gave it a try. Everything was great. Great Prime steak at "Grill" prices (thus place is Bobby Van's Grill.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular ExperienceRonFromGlenMillsDined on 10/4/2014What a find! The staff is polite and attentive, the food is amazing and the ambiance is open, yet private. Great ambiance, and a true D.C. destination for date-night!Special Features:
- Great place for the whole family!Jules79Dined on 10/4/2014Excellent food and service. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unimpressive EntereesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014The staff inside were courteous, friendly, intelligent, articulate, and helpful. The hostess was warm and very friendly, while being an exemplary professional. Our waiter was exemplary. Unfortunately, our dinner entrees were utterly disappointing. The presentation was unimaginative to the point of plain. My tuna was over-cooked and caked with more than a tablespoon of wasabi and had a stack of ginger piled on top. Wasabi is a seasoning, that should only be required in very small amounts; and, ginger is neither a seasoning nor is it a garnish. My guest could not finish her fish (trout?), but she did not comment. All in all, I was disappointed and embarrassed by the meal.
- Great Choice!mskeeinmdDined on 9/30/2014I went here by accident having only been to the regular Bobby Van's, but I had the same experience. Very attentive staff, great service and great drinks.Special Features:
- Always EnjoyrtesmerVIPDined on 9/16/2014One of our favorite places to go for dinner (and lunch sometimes as well). Just wish they would put the fried chicken at night as we love it! We enjoyed the stead as always and the crab cakes too! Our server seemed a bit "new" as he didn't really know how to answer our questions. But once we got going he was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014Two of my co-workers and I went there for lunch and it didn't take long to find out that Bobby Van goes out of their way to provide outstanding service. I order the lasagna and it was obsolutly delicious well-seasoned never expected that from a steak restaurant. I see why it's a main stay on their menu. I am going back to try some other menu items and I definitly know where to go when I have a taste for lanagna.Special Features:
- Reliable as everPhilipDeVIPDined on 9/15/2014I've never eaten a steak here, but have always been delighted with the seafood entrees I almost inevitably offer. BVG takes non-meat seriously, and this is one of the best restaurants in the Metro Center area, where even non-carnivores can be quite satisfied. The wine list, too, is impressive, even by the glass.Special Features:
- Not all thatjmethechefVIPDined on 9/13/2014After waiting 15 minutes beyond our reservation time, we were seated at a weird table for 3--two of us side by side and one of us on the end, where we kept kicking the other person's feet and legs. Steak was fine, nothing really special about it. Sides were gross. Mashed potatoes tasted like instant and the garlic flavor tasted like garlic powder. The Brussels sprouts tasted like vinegar. The baked potato was just that...a baked potato. No condiments or add-ons except sour cream, which we specifically asked NOT to have. Our server acted like he was doing us a favor by being there. He was, at the end, abrupt and rude when we gave him a Groupon (which, as it turns out, was for the OTHER Bobby Van's we didn't even know it existed)
- Unexpected fair service tonightDCdinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Service has definitely been better on previous visits. Our waiter wasn't very attentive or polished tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jgronerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The main course salads are bountiful and excellent! The tuna nicoise was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was So SoDaveVIPDined on 9/9/2014The restaurant was highly recommended by the hotel, but gotta say the food was so so. The French onion soup was great, the steak was flavorless and had a fair amount of gristle and was chewy. Would not go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedny2dcDined on 9/7/2014Arrived seated right away. Just engaged and excited to be there. And then we say for a long time no server. Not crowded. Server came she seemed cold. We ordered. Salad v good. Bread good. Wine was okay. Server warmed up some as evening went on. Prices are what you expect. Ny strip medrare. Looked awesome. Date had a petite filet. Asparagus to share which was excellent. My steak was cooked as requested however it was very fatty. A ton of fat on it. My date s steak was better but not as flavorful as other pls. Had to ask for water refilled. Wasn't attended to very much. When you're dropping that kind of cash you deserve to feel special I didn't. Dessert good, too big.delfrisco, dist chophouse better steak exp for your $$
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The food, the service, the attention to detail were all fantastic. Everything was done to everyone's satisfaction. Not an easy thing for 10 people to agree with. We were so impressed we recommended Bobby Van's to out Holiday Dinner Plannng Committee. 100+ military, civilians, and government contractors getting together for some Holiday comraderie....we couldn't think of a better place to go the Bobb Van's Grill. Thank you,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Strolling Saxophonist:Fun!BrunchtimeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent. Steakhouse pricey, nonetheless: Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only so-soRecentlyEmptyNestedDined on 8/30/2014We were looking forward to our dinner at the Grill but the experience was disappointing. The service was poor, slow, and almost aloof. When we asked for a wine list it was dropped on our table without a word. We asked to have our appetizer prior to our salads and both were delivered at the same time. The waiter warmed up as the evening went on, but it was hard to forget the experience upon arrival to our table. They also did not honor the Living Social coupon correctly taking the discount on the after tax amount rather than reducing the cost of the meal and recalculating the tax.
- A Bump and GrinjwbrettDined on 8/30/2014Having eaten here a few times before, our experience this time I must say was a bit of an anomaly. In short, 45 minutes from appetizer order to arrival at table. Only after asking the manager what an appropriate expectation of wait time did the bacon wrapped scallops (TO DIE FOR) arrive - piping hot, and later found to have been generously comped. The pork chop was incredibly moist and tiramisu was scrumptious. And I must say the pre dinner martini at the bar was the best in quite a while! A perfect end to a slightly rough start. It happens. It's how they made it right that keeps us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening at Bobby Van'sPoppaZmurfDined on 8/30/2014Had a lovely evening with heavenly food. My filet mignon was huge and cooked to perfection. My date's salmon was a large serving and also cooked to just the right degree. We had the vegetable risotto and it was quite tasty. Our water and wine glasses never got empty and service was prompt. The only demerit is for forgetting the coupon we had presented when arriving; we had to remind the waitress and have the amount deducted from our bill. I'm sure to go back, just check your bill if using a coupon!Special Features:
- EMC73Dined on 8/29/2014Had a wonderful evening, great food and excellent service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as AlwayskdinDined on 8/28/2014I had visited the Bobby Van's Rockefeller Center location a few years ago during restaurant week and when I saw that there was a location here in D.C. I got pretty excited. My boyfriend and I have come to the D.C. location for a couple of date nights and the wait staff is always very attentive without being pushy. The food is always excellent, our steaks cooked to the perfect temperature; which, surprisingly, seems to be difficult to find, even amongst supposedly "good" steakhouses. We highly recommend coming here if you want a good steak, and will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014food was just sub great....service was great. i'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!JoeTexVIPDined on 8/27/2014I met a friend and former client for a late evening dinner. The entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful, but not overbearing. The filet was outstanding and prepare just as requested. Could not picked a better spot for a business meeting.Special Features:
- lose60Dined on 8/27/2014The waiter was absolutely excellent - attentive but not obtrusive. the breadbasket was sinfully delicious; glad that they served only enough for one helping as I would not have been able to eat my meal if there had been more bread or pretzels. always had second thoughts about ordering an entre that is not the speciality of the house, but I stepped out and ordered the grilled trout -- absolutely WONDERFUL. This was my first time going, but I will definitely return.Special Features:
- GreatnordokplDined on 8/27/2014The cold seafood app - was fresh and yummy. Ordered the special: Rockfish, fish was great but the side salad of beets w/pesto and blue cheese was an amazing highlight and the part of the meal I will remember longest. The glass of wine was a generous pour lasting through the meal. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGordonGekkoVIPDined on 8/27/2014The food is absolutely delectable and cooked to perfection. The service is ok. We usually order the porterhouse and highly recommend it. It's great for sharing.Special Features:
- Good salad but so so noisyNobHilleryDined on 8/27/2014This is convenient to my office so I often take lunch guests. The food is consistently pretty good, a bit pricey for lunch but not at all outrageous. Service can be slow and a mite inattentive (too few wait staff for busy lunch hours, I felt like I was flagging down a bus to get a server's attention), as it was on this occasion. The big drawback is the ear-splitting noise level. I know restauranteurs like noise, but this is simply ear-splitting.Special Features:
- Great first date!AlexandriaLocalVIPDined on 8/26/2014Had a great dinner at BVG. Food is exceptional, and the service is excellent. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soggy Steak SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The heading would say it all, but the medium cooked meat was cool, although cooked correctly. Clearly left sitting for awhile.
- ArtHVIPDined on 8/25/2014I had a ribeye steak cooked to perfection, and an excellent Cabernet to go with it. Service was excellent, the ambiance elegant and friendly. The perfect spot for a social dinner among friends. We were treated to a nice port wine on the house as a wonderful ending to a great meal. Thank you for that courtesy!Special Features:
- Bobby Van's GrillLarryDined on 8/23/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner at Bobby Van's! The Filet Mignon was perfectly cooked and probably the best steak I have ever had. The sides as well with garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli. Service was excellent from check in to finish from everyone at Bobby Van's. Also enjoyed the solo sax player who entertained with his classic renditions of straight ahead jazz compositions. I highly recommend this restaurant to the locals and those visiting our great city of Washington, DC. Thanks Bobby Van's and be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the jazz backgroundDCMikeDined on 8/23/2014Loved the food and the jazz sax player (it was a Sat nite )...Great ribeye and Mac & cheese !........And an excellent Manhattan !Special Features:
- Have never been disappointedanonymousDined on 8/20/2014The food here is excellent. My wife always wants to go here for their filet, oscar style (lump crab meat, hollandaise, and asparagus). I have had both steak and a burger - both were awesome! I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Would not go againOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014The service was very slow to be a high end steakhouse. The food was good, but it was very expensive for what you got. A baked potato was $8.00 with no toppings on it. I feel like this restaurant has gone down in the past six months.
- Excellent!!!WinendinedDined on 8/19/2014Food and service were both great!!! Thanks to Jose for making our night. Highly recommend this place for a special occasion or just a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.