Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street
135 West 50th Street
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: 2129575050
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Blair Anyan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Bobby Van’s caters to private and semi-private events. Our dining spaces can be divided (through the use of our elegant French doors) into a space as intimate as a party of 10 or can be fully opened to accommodate a party of up to 300.
- Private Party Contact: Kepani Salgato 2129575050
A word from Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street
The combination of a traditional American grill combined with the classic elements of a first-rate steak house best describes Bobby Van’s fourth New York City location. Run by the same four partners who have been awarded Tom Horan’s American Top Ten Steakhouses in each of the past three years, the Grill caters to those seeking the legendary Bobby Van’s Porterhouse as well as lighter dishes such as pastas, salads and fish. All served with the renowned service that has been Bobby Van’s hallmark from its beginnings in 1969. As partner Joseph Hickey said “We’re all about pure, unadulterated customer happiness."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (43)great for lunch (25)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (16)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (14)romantic (12)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Service horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014Food was pretty good but service was amazingly bad. Sat there for 10 minutes trying to get a refill on water and even watched a server get a glass for himself, and drink it, right next to our table. Wine refills just as bad. Also presentation of food was mediocre and server essentially just slaps the plates down in front of you. Wouldnt ever go back and wouldnt recommend.
- Great entrées; average sidesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Filet mignon and veal milanese were lovely - great flavor and generous portions. Sides of fries and string beans were ok, but nothing special.Special Features:
- Meat as you like it!lonneatingDined on 8/15/2014Last night on our family´s vacation in New York. We wanted superb steaks, and we didn´t get disappointed! Marvellous! Perhaps a bit costly, but the food had excellent quality, so maybe you get what you pay for? We also appreciated the moderate noise level. Many NY restaurants are extremely noisy, but in Bobby Van´s you are able to hear what your family members want to tell you...Special Features:
- Restaurant Week ShamBarbFVIPDined on 8/15/2014Beautiful setting, very attentive wait staff, great bread.I thought the idea of restaurant week was to sample some of the excellent offerings of a venue and, in turn, the customer returns at regular prices. When ordering we were told that the beef offerings were a lesser cut than what is served on the regular menu (with a $10 upcharge). Salads that were ordered were 1/2 portions compared to the ones coming to other tables from the regular menu. Th presentation was also different. We ordered chicken (very good), tilapia (too much sauce and salt) and one of the beef (fair). Vegetables that came with the meals great. We also selected of one of each of the dessert offerings-cheesecake (awful), pecan tart (great) and chocolate cake (fair).
- Great NightDDNYDined on 8/14/2014Excellent Food, Ambiance and service. It was a great night, really enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressiveluv2dineDined on 8/13/2014I went with 2 friends for a restaurant week lunch. Their salad was awesome, entree selection good and desserts were delicious. They do a great job for restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sammylabDined on 8/12/2014.The Cobb salad was inedible. The worst I have ever had.
- restaurant weekcherluiVIPDined on 8/7/2014Nice restaurant week choices - very good food and great deserts - great service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The food and service was excellent. We were seated promptly and the waiter and staff were first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NY SteakhouseDJenkins56Dined on 8/5/2014This is one of my favorite steakhouses in New York. The food and service is always outstanding and the food cannot be beat. We took an guest from South Africa there for dinner and she loved it. Everything is ala carte. The salads and sides are all large enough to share among 2 or 3 people. The veal chop is simply melt in your mouth good! I would highly recommend Bob Van's Grill!Special Features:
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2014Classic NY stake house. Perfect before a show, or anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real great NY steakhouseManhattanboundDined on 8/4/2014Great food, great service , and great ambience! The waiters are extremely helpful and pleasant.Special Features:
- Disappointing!!!!RobesDined on 8/2/2014Suggested by a friend for steak. Waiter's initial arrogant attitude deteriorated to inattentive service, haughty tone and actions. After a mixup with his assistant over informing us of specials, he angrily, rapidly and condescendingly described said specials. Increasingly rude with further interaction throughout our meal until he delivered the check. Upon leaving, we informed mgmt. of the problem. Said he was aware. While courteous, it has been my experience in restaurants of this stature that management addresses problems directly with guest. Didn't happen! I recommend any of this restaurant's competitors for $100+ per person. No excuse for abuse!! Last night in town a low point due to unsolicited, inhospitable meanness.
- CHEF AND WAIT PERSON GREAT!GOODEATS457Dined on 7/31/2014This was our first visit to this location. Park Avenue is great also, but very noisey, lots of lawyers and business lunches. 50th Street Bobby Van is obstructed at the moment due to construction so the view is not great. However, you can have an intimate or lunch with a good friend here w/o a lot of noise. I went during Restuarant Week and ordered a steak I could not otherwise afford on a regular day. I was expecting a small piece, however, it was so big I was sad that I could not finish it - (you don't ask for a doggie bag in such a fine place right?) - Anyway, the streak was perfectly cooked medium well, my side dish of string beans and potatoes were excellent and my wait person was kind and patient.Special Features:
- Business DinnerAnthonyDined on 7/30/2014Restaurant is conveniently located in Midtown Manhattan near Times Square. Nice atmosphere, we were greeted promptly and since we had reservations, seated right away. The wait staff quickly came to greet us and serve water. The head waiter came, introduced himself and took drink orders. Basically, a very timely but not rushed service from being seated to taking our desert order. I enjoyed everything but my steak which was tough and something I would have expected at a lower end chain steakhouse. This happens once in a while so I won't throw them under the bus just yet. This was a business dinner with one of my clients from CBS Television. Again, he seemed satisfied with his meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiehubDined on 7/30/2014Went for pre-show restaurant week dinner. Restaurant week menu had nice variety of selections. Rib eye was cooked to perfection as well as the filet mignon. Had a choice of 2 soups, but opted for the Caesar salad. Chocolate truffle cake and cheese cake for dessert were great too. The best part about This place is the service. We arrived 30 min late, our table was held for us because I called to say we were stuck in traffic, and they got us in and out in time to make our show.Special Features:
- Always a good experienceeurokingDined on 7/28/2014This Bobby Van's stand out to me due to due to the great food selection, which is different from the other ones in the area. Bar is light and airy, so you feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014While the steak was amazing the side dishes were merely co-stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ViewHughVIPDined on 7/26/2014We sat at a window seat and there were people using prayer rugs in front of the windows, it was very disturbing. We had to change seats as no one asked them to move.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchtimeCyclistDined on 7/23/2014Enjoyed the great service and window view. Especially enjoyed the variety offered for restaurant week. There were many great choices and a wonderful dessert. Even the coffee was great. Also the bread basket was a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is delicious!!PattyRDined on 7/22/2014We had dinner at bobby vans pre-theater mid week. I chose the restaurant from OpenTable and it was Restaurant Week. What a find!! Although masculine decor I loved it as did my BF. The food was fantastic -- we both had steak-- cooked to perfection, seasoned perfectly and tender. Our waiter was great and quite the deal with restaurant week price fixe!Special Features:
- Work LunchDms275Dined on 7/21/2014It was a good place for a work lunch. Everything was "fine", nothing to get exited about.
- Awesome foodkimkkDined on 7/19/2014The food was spectacular. The ribeye special my husband ordered was huge and was one of the best steak he has had. He talked about it for days. The filet of sole melted in your mouth. The wine by glass a bit pricey however they give you a nice pour. The banana split for 2 was more like for 4. The lobster cooked perfect for the lobster cocktail.Special Features:
- No Air conditioningDiner10Dined on 7/12/2014The AC was broken when we dined on 7/12. Not only were we warm, so was the wine. The food was good but hard to enjoy when you are so hot. We spent $400. The least managent could have done was comped our dessert or offered a free ( frozen) drink.
- Excellent experience alwaysMerleVIPDined on 7/11/2014I have become a regular customer for lunch, dinner, and cocktail hour because the food, drink, and service are all consistently terrific. I bring my customers with me to this enjoyable venue often and they then return over and over themselves because of the nice experience they received.Special Features:
- Disappointing servicetwinkjeepDined on 7/2/2014We chose to eat here per a combination of opentable and yelp reviews, as well as a recommendation from the concierge in our hotel. We had a show and this was literally a stone's through from the theater. The food was nice, however, our server was flaky. I had to remind him that I ordered a glass of wine, and later in the meal, my fiance had to remind him that HE ordered a glass of wine. The food was delicious and I assume our experience was more directly related to our specific server than the actual restaurant, but flaky waiters are inexcusable. The restaurant was not busy. The other wait staff was attentive. I would go back for a nice meal, but it is overpriced (delicious) food.
- Great NYC Steak HouseJimmySlobVIPDined on 7/1/2014Bobby Van does not disappoint! Steaks are delicious, sides are fantastic, and the waiters are pros, not summer interns from NYU. Excellent wine list with lots of moderately priced values.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trouble with steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014I ordered the sirloin cooked medium rare when I received the steak it was medium well at best. This was one of the first times I have ever sent a steak back. After my wife finished her filet of sole which she said was very good until she got a few bones which basically ends the meal for her, it happens. ,The second attempt was maybe medium and ok at best. The best part of the meal was the meal was the service which was excellent.Special Features:
- worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014the food was great, the service was great. we had the specials and they were great. we ordered drinks and they were the perfect mix of alcohol and flavorSpecial Features:
- VivifoxVIPDined on 6/17/2014Never a disappointment, my favorite restaurant in NYC.Special Features:
- Excellent pre - theater diningMdw24Dined on 6/17/2014We booked a 6pm table before our Broadway show. Service was excellent, we were seated quickly and served promptly. Never had any fear if having to rush to the show even though we enjoyed three courses. Delicious steak and seafood, but I'd skip the 21 crepe layer cake if I had to do over. An expensive meal, but to be expected at a NY steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service. great foodMiltonDined on 6/14/2014Good way to wrap up a day shoppin and seeing rocky. And too cool down and enjoy great food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine steakHarryOTDined on 6/11/2014Fine place. Good service. Filet Mignon was good and cooked as ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey but excellentGlutenFreeDined on 6/10/2014We have eaten at 2 of the 3 Bobby Van's Grill in NYC. Food is always great and service very good. I am gluten-free and they are very accommodating. A bit pricey - 2 salads, 2 burgers and a bottle of sparkling water = $125 with tip. Very nice for a special occassion or entertaining clients. The warm spinach salad was out of this world.Special Features:
- DeliciousCanadianCowboyDined on 6/1/2014Right from the bread to the tenderloin everything was superb. Wine list was a little scary if you are just an average cork dork $$$$$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant is closed on SundaysLauramessDined on 6/1/2014So we went to Bobby Van's Grill on 45th Street instead and it was great. The chilean sea bass was delicious and the Espresso Martini awesome. Service from the waitstaff was terrific, especially given the fact that my dinner companion was impossible to please. They remained calm, cool and gracious, which is way more than I would have been.Special Features:
- A beautiful place !!!DrmatosoDined on 5/22/2014I recommend...... excellent food, with top quality meat and exemplary service!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyLalaVIPDined on 5/22/2014Food is good...very expensive Really....unless a business is paying,crazy!Special Features:
- Great ServicePTCruiser63Dined on 5/21/2014We were seated immediately upon arriving and the service was A plus Staff was professional and courteousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodgrizgirlsVIPDined on 5/10/2014The food was very good but the wine list is very limited. Need more Pinot Grigio options. The wait staff was actually too attentive. Felt very rushed to put our order in yet there were plenty of empty tables. The waitress seemed annoyed we weren't ready but I think 5 minutes between asking is a bit aggressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.