Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street
135 West 50th Street
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: (212) 957-5050
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Blair Anyan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Bobby Van’s caters to private and semi-private events. Our dining spaces can be divided (through the use of our elegant French doors) into a space as intimate as a party of 10 or can be fully opened to accommodate a party of up to 300.
- Private Party Contact: Kepani Salgato 2129575050
A word from Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street
The combination of a traditional American grill combined with the classic elements of a first-rate steak house best describes Bobby Van’s fourth New York City location. Run by the same four partners who have been awarded Tom Horan’s American Top Ten Steakhouses in each of the past three years, the Grill caters to those seeking the legendary Bobby Van’s Porterhouse as well as lighter dishes such as pastas, salads and fish. All served with the renowned service that has been Bobby Van’s hallmark from its beginnings in 1969. As partner Joseph Hickey said “We’re all about pure, unadulterated customer happiness."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (34)good for groups (27)great for lunch (25)fit for foodies (17)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (14)neighborhood gem (11)romantic (9)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014Truly enjoyed the meal. Employees very friendly and personableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Excellent food we had steaks they were cooked to perfection. The wait staff was good not great they seemed to be slightly over worked. However answered all our questions. The place was crowded but there is proper spacing of the tables so you are not to close to other people eating. There is some noise but not a lot I would not call it a romantic place or a quite place. The wine list was good place several different types of beers on tap. They did have a T.V. in the bar area and it was louder by they bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When food and service come togetherJohnEspoVIPDined on 11/11/2014It all starts with the friendly greeting form the bartenders when service and mixology come together. The food is very good and the service professional, helpful and friendly. A great place for meetings or pre-theater dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoorJoelDined on 10/25/2014Fish was tasteless, Asparagrass, crab cakes were stringy was just thrown in with out trimming, backs never cut-hard. Retrain your cooks and your prices are off the wall compared to others. Why was I directed to you 50th street when I remember eating in another closer to the theatre district? I was informed that you have 6 sites in NY when we entered. We are in our 70's and have worked in Manhattan (retired) for over 40 years and have eaten in some of the finest resturants.
- Elegant and Club AtmosphereBuddyVIPDined on 10/18/2014If you are visiting NY and staying in the Rockefellar Center area this is a restaurant not to be missed. You can enjoy a wonderful dinner and walk to the theater district. Although a steakhouse, they also have outstanding seafood. It is excellent and prepared to perfection. Do not miss the 21 layer crepe cake on the dessert menu!Special Features:
- good lunchOnePennVIPDined on 10/13/2014Veal was verry good and the tuna was also good good wine by the glassSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - nice lunchJazzyJimVIPDined on 10/8/2014Making a reservation was very important for our busy but efficient lunchtime visit. The food was very good and our party of 5 was quite satisfied with the pizzas, great hamburger and chicken that was ordered. It is definitely a pricey lunch so be prepared. Even the sandwiches come with a big $$.I would recommend this to a friend.
- use open tableOnePennVIPDined on 9/22/2014i enjoy Bobby Vanns but always use open table they have so many places other guest go to the wrong location. The steak was great. The veal was also very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No complaintsBillyi7Dined on 9/20/2014Great resturant close to theater shows. Food was great suggest the rib eye Alittle pricey but great please for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceDannyDined on 9/17/2014If you want a top notch NY Steakhouse, this is your place. Great service and the food is outstanding.Special Features:
- LovethisplaceLovethisplaceDined on 9/16/2014I took my team for a work meeting/lunch. The service was outstanding with the food being even better. The place was filledbut we were able to have conversions without speaking too loud. A great place and I will be back for lunch and dinner!Special Features:
- Not Worth the Pricetagelys72VIPDined on 9/13/2014The best part of the night was the service...fantastic! I love steakhouses and am comfortable with the price tag, however, my $260 will not be paid here again at Bobby Van's Grill. We started the night sharing a Caesar salad which was great. For dinner, I was disappointed by the lack of flavor in my petite filet and my husband's strip. The steak sauce was like a marmalade. For sides, the crisp outside of the hash browns was delish but once you delved in, it was mush. Should have gone with the french fries. Creamed spinach was too creamy as if it were soup. We shared gelatto and I had cappuccino and my husband coffee which was nice. Overall, I would not come back and instead find a place that had more energy more worth my bills.Special Features:
- IngridDined on 9/11/2014We've eaten here many times from work because it is nearby and offers an exceptional menu with great foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!lsteidzDined on 9/3/2014Took my dad here and everything about this place was great. Our server was on point and very timely. The food was amazing. I usually never finish a meal when I have an appetizer and entree, but I had to eat all of it- it was that good! Definitely a great place for a family dinner, date night, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything good but the pricewritaDined on 9/3/2014Food and service were superb and probably worth every penny, but much more than I usually spend. A glass of Johnny Walker Black set me back $18. Two glasses is almost the price of an entire bottle (if you buy duty free, anyway). Been there twice. Heartily recommend to the top 1%. Will return right after I win the lottery.Special Features:
- Excellent Steak RestaurantSteakloversDined on 8/30/2014We had a great table and an outstanding porterhouse cooked to perfection. The service was also outstanding. We would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service horribleDjknotDined on 8/30/2014Food was pretty good but service was amazingly bad. Sat there for 10 minutes trying to get a refill on water and even watched a server get a glass for himself, and drink it, right next to our table. Wine refills just as bad. Also presentation of food was mediocre and server essentially just slaps the plates down in front of you. Wouldnt ever go back and wouldnt recommend.
- Great entrées; average sidesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Filet mignon and veal milanese were lovely - great flavor and generous portions. Sides of fries and string beans were ok, but nothing special.Special Features:
- Meat as you like it!lonneatingDined on 8/15/2014Last night on our family´s vacation in New York. We wanted superb steaks, and we didn´t get disappointed! Marvellous! Perhaps a bit costly, but the food had excellent quality, so maybe you get what you pay for? We also appreciated the moderate noise level. Many NY restaurants are extremely noisy, but in Bobby Van´s you are able to hear what your family members want to tell you...Special Features:
- Restaurant Week ShamBarbFVIPDined on 8/15/2014Beautiful setting, very attentive wait staff, great bread.I thought the idea of restaurant week was to sample some of the excellent offerings of a venue and, in turn, the customer returns at regular prices. When ordering we were told that the beef offerings were a lesser cut than what is served on the regular menu (with a $10 upcharge). Salads that were ordered were 1/2 portions compared to the ones coming to other tables from the regular menu. Th presentation was also different. We ordered chicken (very good), tilapia (too much sauce and salt) and one of the beef (fair). Vegetables that came with the meals great. We also selected of one of each of the dessert offerings-cheesecake (awful), pecan tart (great) and chocolate cake (fair).
- Great NightDDNYDined on 8/14/2014Excellent Food, Ambiance and service. It was a great night, really enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressiveluv2dineDined on 8/13/2014I went with 2 friends for a restaurant week lunch. Their salad was awesome, entree selection good and desserts were delicious. They do a great job for restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sammylabDined on 8/12/2014.The Cobb salad was inedible. The worst I have ever had.
- restaurant weekcherluiVIPDined on 8/7/2014Nice restaurant week choices - very good food and great deserts - great service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The food and service was excellent. We were seated promptly and the waiter and staff were first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NY SteakhouseDJenkins56Dined on 8/5/2014This is one of my favorite steakhouses in New York. The food and service is always outstanding and the food cannot be beat. We took an guest from South Africa there for dinner and she loved it. Everything is ala carte. The salads and sides are all large enough to share among 2 or 3 people. The veal chop is simply melt in your mouth good! I would highly recommend Bob Van's Grill!Special Features:
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2014Classic NY stake house. Perfect before a show, or anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real great NY steakhouseManhattanboundDined on 8/4/2014Great food, great service , and great ambience! The waiters are extremely helpful and pleasant.Special Features:
- Disappointing!!!!RobesDined on 8/2/2014Suggested by a friend for steak. Waiter's initial arrogant attitude deteriorated to inattentive service, haughty tone and actions. After a mixup with his assistant over informing us of specials, he angrily, rapidly and condescendingly described said specials. Increasingly rude with further interaction throughout our meal until he delivered the check. Upon leaving, we informed mgmt. of the problem. Said he was aware. While courteous, it has been my experience in restaurants of this stature that management addresses problems directly with guest. Didn't happen! I recommend any of this restaurant's competitors for $100+ per person. No excuse for abuse!! Last night in town a low point due to unsolicited, inhospitable meanness.
- CHEF AND WAIT PERSON GREAT!GOODEATS457Dined on 7/31/2014This was our first visit to this location. Park Avenue is great also, but very noisey, lots of lawyers and business lunches. 50th Street Bobby Van is obstructed at the moment due to construction so the view is not great. However, you can have an intimate or lunch with a good friend here w/o a lot of noise. I went during Restuarant Week and ordered a steak I could not otherwise afford on a regular day. I was expecting a small piece, however, it was so big I was sad that I could not finish it - (you don't ask for a doggie bag in such a fine place right?) - Anyway, the streak was perfectly cooked medium well, my side dish of string beans and potatoes were excellent and my wait person was kind and patient.Special Features:
- Business DinnerAnthonyDined on 7/30/2014Restaurant is conveniently located in Midtown Manhattan near Times Square. Nice atmosphere, we were greeted promptly and since we had reservations, seated right away. The wait staff quickly came to greet us and serve water. The head waiter came, introduced himself and took drink orders. Basically, a very timely but not rushed service from being seated to taking our desert order. I enjoyed everything but my steak which was tough and something I would have expected at a lower end chain steakhouse. This happens once in a while so I won't throw them under the bus just yet. This was a business dinner with one of my clients from CBS Television. Again, he seemed satisfied with his meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiehubDined on 7/30/2014Went for pre-show restaurant week dinner. Restaurant week menu had nice variety of selections. Rib eye was cooked to perfection as well as the filet mignon. Had a choice of 2 soups, but opted for the Caesar salad. Chocolate truffle cake and cheese cake for dessert were great too. The best part about This place is the service. We arrived 30 min late, our table was held for us because I called to say we were stuck in traffic, and they got us in and out in time to make our show.Special Features:
- Always a good experienceeurokingDined on 7/28/2014This Bobby Van's stand out to me due to due to the great food selection, which is different from the other ones in the area. Bar is light and airy, so you feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014While the steak was amazing the side dishes were merely co-stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1016 reviews are from the Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street reviews archive.
- ViewHughVIPDined on 7/26/2014We sat at a window seat and there were people using prayer rugs in front of the windows, it was very disturbing. We had to change seats as no one asked them to move.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchtimeCyclistDined on 7/23/2014Enjoyed the great service and window view. Especially enjoyed the variety offered for restaurant week. There were many great choices and a wonderful dessert. Even the coffee was great. Also the bread basket was a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is delicious!!PattyRDined on 7/22/2014We had dinner at bobby vans pre-theater mid week. I chose the restaurant from OpenTable and it was Restaurant Week. What a find!! Although masculine decor I loved it as did my BF. The food was fantastic -- we both had steak-- cooked to perfection, seasoned perfectly and tender. Our waiter was great and quite the deal with restaurant week price fixe!Special Features:
- Work LunchDms275Dined on 7/21/2014It was a good place for a work lunch. Everything was "fine", nothing to get exited about.
- Awesome foodkimkkDined on 7/19/2014The food was spectacular. The ribeye special my husband ordered was huge and was one of the best steak he has had. He talked about it for days. The filet of sole melted in your mouth. The wine by glass a bit pricey however they give you a nice pour. The banana split for 2 was more like for 4. The lobster cooked perfect for the lobster cocktail.Special Features:
- No Air conditioningDiner10Dined on 7/12/2014The AC was broken when we dined on 7/12. Not only were we warm, so was the wine. The food was good but hard to enjoy when you are so hot. We spent $400. The least managent could have done was comped our dessert or offered a free ( frozen) drink.