Boathouse on the Pier
3411 Lake Tahoe Blvd.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Boathouse on the Pier
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tahoebeachretreat.com/dining/the-bistro/
- Phone: 5306001846
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mike Quintal
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine
- Entertainment: Entertainment changes seasonally. Currently, the Boathouse features Wine Not Wednesdays, with live music and wines by the glass at half price, and Sunday Songs with Bloodies and Bubbles.
A word from Boathouse on the Pier
Boathouse on the Pier is located on the 1,000 ft Pier, right over Lake Tahoe. A part of the Beach Retreat & Lodge, the Boathouse has the views in town and offers lunch, happy hour/cocktails and dinner. Live entertainment and specials each week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Boathouse on the Pier reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)neighborhood gem (3)fit for foodies (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxVIPDined on 6/26/2014xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- Food was not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014We were seated outside as requested. Beautiful view but people kept coming out to see the view on a tiny balcony and taking pictures and talking. They would hang by our table and talk. It took away from the experience. People that are not sitting outside should not be allowed to come out and take over others space. Then the food was served. Not good at all and expensive. Would not return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- need a chef that knows their saucesredwaveDined on 5/23/2014Seafood linguini and clam vongole are cream sauces not cheese flavored. Prices are a little high for what you getSpecial Features:
- The following 77 reviews are from the Boathouse on the Pier reviews archive.
- Nice dining experienceDiningProVIPDined on 5/18/2014Our reservation was honored on time and we were promptly seated as most of the tables were filled when we arrived. The wait staff service was outstanding. Menu options were appropriate and plentiful with some creative dishes. We had two very good entrees. Overall an excellent evening of dining with easy listening live music and a great view of Lake Tahoe. Recommend you try the Boathouse on the Pier when in the area.Special Features:
- four stars is a strechLocalgemfanDined on 5/11/2014this place apparently is going through new management and it shows. they are almost 4 stars, but I gave it to them because they are trying and because after the two child seats didn't have adequate belts the bass-boy (tall blond) wish I remember his name as this was a month ago held our child for few minutes while we ate dinner. the food was ok could be better, they ran out of the most about 10 dishes for the mothers day weekend ( so that was disappointing ) view is spectacular and I think we'll be back again in few years once everything rolls out...Special Features:
- Boathouse reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014A very nice restaurant with a gourmet menu and a spectacular view of Lake Tahoe, since you a literally on the lake. A broad choice of foods on the menu, very friendly service and a chocolate cherry cheese cake to die for. We had two dinners, one lunch, and one breakfast there because it was so good and certainly convenient as we were staying at the adjoining hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misleading adMisleadingSpecialDined on 4/15/2014Went to Boathouse on friends' recommendation. Conveniently located in S. Lake Tahoe; reservations went great, and necessary even off-season and mid-week. Friends had mentioned good Happy Hour deals where appetizers were half off and we found a flyer advertising the same. We ordered three starters; in fact, two of us only ordered appetizers and a salad. When the bill came, everything was full priced. The waiter explained that only one appetizer was available at half price, but he never bothered to relate that little nuance or inform us which one was the "special". Service slow--about an hour when we finally got meals. Food very good; not over-priced for a resort town, but more than we expected to pay based on the flyer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewCathyDined on 4/13/2014I found this tucked away restaurant via Yelp. It's behind the Beach Retreat Lodge on a pier overlooking the lake, beach and mountains.We went for lunch since the dinner looked too pricey for us and enjoyed it very much. The staff were friendly, the food was good, the decor was cute and the view was perfect. We would have eaten outside along the balcony if it wasn't so windy. We enjoyed the fried Calamari with cherry peppers appetizer, a bowl of Clam Chowder to share, Fish and Chips (sweet potato fries for $2 extra), Blacked Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos. The Chowder was not as thick as my husband likes, but the flavor was wonderful to me. The Fish Tacos could have been a bit more flavorful, but still very good. Has a stroll along the beach after :).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little find on the waterYCPLVIPDined on 4/7/2014Found this restaurant through an Open Table search. Delighted with the find; very friendly and accommodating staff, delicious food (we had the coffee encrusted salmon); and a perfect place for watching the sunset. We plan to return and also want to try the hotel too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After a spectacularly scenicsen2007VIPDined on 3/22/2014After a spectacularly scenic cruise into Emerald Bay and a view of Eagle Falls we dined at the Boathouse with our son visiting from La Jolla. A good stroll along the beach brought us to the pier stretching as long as the eye can see and an authentic looking boathouse. It had the feel of a popular hot spot just by its location- with lively music and people just enjoying. We were warmly welcomed and seated windowside with a great lake view. The clam chowder was the finest we ever tasted, the spicy Thai chicken wings tasty and the pasta pomodoro quite delicious. Our glasses were replenished with attentive care even with a bridal party at the next table! And yes, we did see the sun setting on serene Lake Tahoe- just a beautiful memory for all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as should have beenDinerSouthShrDined on 3/19/2014It is in a great location, a Lake Tahoe south shore marina. The quality of food was good. The apetzerThe service was poor and slow. The atmosphere was loud, because of the live music. The acoustic guitar player/vocalist should be advised that music from 6-9p.m. is generally what is supposed to be "dinner set" mode which means mellow and quiet so customers can enjoy their dinner in serenity and be able to converse with each other. For some reason it took 15 minutes for me to get my dessert, which was only a scoop of vanilla ice cream.Special Features:
- ExperimentJuanVIPDined on 3/18/2014This place have amazing view but that set,food just ok,service just ok nothing great,sitting out,small placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday eveningSandraram007Dined on 3/15/2014After making a reservation for the birthday weekend found that we did not have a table and when we did get a table the hostess was put out with us (very bad attitude) and the waiter was a joke. Will never return to our little spot that we loves so much. Waiter advised they were under new management and I feel bad that it will need to make many improvements to get my business back, will go to Freshies instead. :-(
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014The food was AMAZING- the crab cakes are the best I've ever had. The oysters were fabulous. The clam chowder was delicious and the sesame seared ahi salad was divine. The happy hour specials were generous but we had to order our next drink as soon as we received one- bar service was quite slow (we waited over 10 minutes for our first beers). There was a good selection of drinks though. Great customer service as well. I booked my reservation for Saturday, received a confirmation call on Friday because their system was acting up. Sure enough, they called me with enough notice to secure my reservation despite the technology fail. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found through YelpNatalieRose24Dined on 1/25/2014Yelp reviews pretty much hit this place on the head. Food was good, pricy for the quantity you receive, but again it was delicious. I had the filet mignon and it was cooked exactly how I had ordered it. My boyfriend had the scallops and they too were quite yummy. Unfortunately we went there when it was already dark so we didn't have a view. I'm sure it's a gorgeous view in the day time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not For Happy Hour!!!DinerDined on 12/30/2013We are frequent diners at this restaurant and have really enjoyed it. December 30th we had a wonderful dining experience with our daughter. Unfortunately we went back for happy hour on Saturday after a hike and our experience was not pleasant. We asked to sit at a table as we've done in the past and the gentleman seating customers informed us we would need to sit at the bar. The bar seats have no backs and are not comfortable. We had wine and an appetizer. We would have had more but my back hurt and servers kept running into me at our table. When we left the dining tables were still empty. Great for dinner,but don't go for appetizers (even early) if you want to be comfortable.Special Features:
- Stunning View!OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 12/27/2013Boathouse on the Pier has the most amazing view in Lake Tahoe. The restaurant sits on the water, on a pier and offers the most beautiful views of the lake. If you can catch the sunset, you are in heaven! The menu is small but perfect. There was a good selection of food for both adults and children. This was the best meal we ate in Lake Tahoe on our recent trip. I am still craving the Lobster Bisque. It was divine! Next time I go to South Lake Tahoe I will definitely return to Boathouse on the Pier. Best restaurant in the area.Special Features:
- Okey but...DmitryDined on 12/24/2013We came here for Christmas and it paid a pretty high fixed price for dinner. First, we've had a reservation at 6:15 and we got our table only at 6:45. Appetizers and entrees were very good, tasty, delicious but when it comes to the desert and coffee it's absolute fail. No latte/cappuccino (regular only) and desserts are very poor.Special Features:
- cozy quartersHippocratesDined on 12/14/2013Although rather small, this restaurant offers some of the best choices of wines, appetizers, and meals I've experienced in Lake Tahoe. The service is friendly and very good, as is the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, good entertainment,pearlDined on 11/13/2013Great meal, good entertainment, and great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WHAT A SUNSET!RafaelVIPDined on 11/1/2013We got there just in time to see the sun set behind Mt. Tellac. Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, crowded & way OverpricedEZE2PLZDined on 10/26/2013We did enjoy our dinner & Austyn, our waitress was excellent. My wife had the Filet Mignon & I had the Espresso Salmon. The Filet should have melted in her mouth, but just tasted like a good steak. The salmon was very good but such a small piece that I didn't get to enjoy it for long. The small dinning room is connected to the bar so any loud patrons applauding the musician was very noticeable during our quiet romantic dinner. The meal was definitely overpriced ($30+ a plate) as they are trying to become a fine dining restaurant but have a ways to go. Nonetheless, we enjoyed ourselves but will look elsewhere next time we're in S. Tahoe.Special Features:
- The food was good but somewhattingirlDined on 10/23/2013The food was good but somewhat expensive.at is part of the price. Great view I guess that is part of the price. Service was good but it wasn't too busy when we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the beachGailVIPDined on 10/11/2013Gorgeous setting tucked away with delicious food and dessert. Tuna was delicious as an app and the filet mignon was cooked perfectly. Chocolate cookie with vanilla ice cream was decadent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We spend eight to ten weekendsCurtisWKDined on 10/4/2013We spend eight to ten weekends a year in Tahoe and I'm always looking for a nice restaurant that's away from the casinos. We've watched 4th of July fireworks from the beach next to the pier for years and I knew the sunset view would be just as advertised. The view was great, but everything else was only acceptable. The prices were high for the portion sizes although the food was pretty decent. There's not much to see once the sun goes down. The clientele was a little too varied for me to consider this a romantic location. Unless you want to eat early, watch the sunset from the beach (or the pier itself), and eat somewhere else.Special Features:
- Delicious food, amazing view.MaximDined on 8/11/2013Delicious, accommodating, and an unrivaled view - a little on the pricey side, but the food was pretty good. Nothing out-of-this-world memorable, but honest, well prepared, and delicious. The sunset drinks are fantastic, and pretty inexpensive, too. The view is to die for. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for lakeshore diningretiredandlovingitDined on 8/8/2013We were impressed! We reserved a table for a sunset dinner on our last night in Lake Tahoe. Everyone really enjoyed the food and the location. Beautiful sunset views. The upper outside balcony seating would be very nice for a table of 2, but was too cramped for 4. The waitress couldn't even get between the table and the railing. There was a very cool breeze and some heat lamps or a wind screen on the land-end of the balcony would have helped - we were chilled even with jackets. The inside of the restaurant has a very nice ambiance and would be a great choice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2013Perfect restaurant for that romantic sunset dinner. Great food, fantastic service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful little restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2013We visited this sweet little place for a combo celebration - my birthday, our anniversary and my in-laws anniversary. We had the best table in the place and arrived in plenty of time to enjoy the scenery before the perfect sunset! The drinks were wonderful, the food fabulous and the service very good. They even gave us sunglasses as we had not brought any and the moments before the sunset were bright on the water. Highly recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:
- Location was pristine, food was gooBigcordoVIPDined on 8/2/2013Sunsets are spectacular from this venue. The menu was limited, however their is a seafood or beef choice for everyone. Drink menu is well thought out. Service was good. Not the best, but definitely good.Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2013Poor service, no hostess, brought us worst prime rib ever, waitress squeezed us in while serving drinks at the bar. Sat inside no view. Charged for a salad we didn't get. Just very disappointing.Special Features:
- Makes you want to jump off a pier!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2013I made reservations for my anniversary. The photo on the website made it look like a special place with great views. When we got there, we had to ask where the entrance to the restaurant . We went up the stairs to the restaurant and it didn't have a definite place to check in such as a hostess stand. We found someone and told him we had reservations. He put us at a table with no view. I asked about the deck and he replied that people had it reserved. Had I known that I would have reserved the outside deck to have dinner on. Empty tables during our time there. Sitting there for at least 20 minutes I had to ask for a server, so that we could order drinks. Our meals were fair. The "fresh" vegetables were a joke! I'm still married!
- Great view overshadows bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2013We were in Tahoe to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We choose the Boathouse for the view and sunset. It lived up to our expectations. We arrived early, had drinks and a couple of appetizers (which were good but small serving size), and enjoyed the view from the bar and enjoyed talking to the staff. The staff was very nice and got us a table outside on the deck. Great view, great weather, we loved every minute of it. Food was not very good. How do you screw up a simple pasta dish? Anyway, while the food is sub par (which seems hard to believe since it is such a limited menu), the ambience is out of this world. We would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset on Lake TahoeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2013We went to this restaurant our first night in Lake Tahoe for the view. The reviews for the quality of the food were spotty, but we thought we would take a chance. Anyway, our meal was better than we had anticipated. I had the pear salad with stilton and the seafood special, which was sea bass. Both were very good. They served us hot bread to start, which had been obviously microwaved. However, the flavor was good -- if a little chewy from being nuked.Special Features:
- Great view:bad serviceSunsetdinerDined on 7/24/2013Server blamed the new chef for items on the menu not being available. They ran out wine glasses, and they were down to one dessert offering. early in the evening. We had to wait forever for water, and the service was poor for the rest of the evening.Special Features:
- Brunch/lunch staff needs coachingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2013This "neighborhood gem" has been a favorite of ours for dinner since new owners took over. Went there for brunch/lunch for first time over weekend and found daytime staff lacking in courtesy and basic friendliness. Aside from that, food was great, outdoor seating offered first-rate view, being right on the lake. Staff, particularly bartender, could use a refresher course in hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only for the viewBobdbestVIPDined on 7/20/2013I choose this place because of the views of Lake Tahoe. The food was ok. i would suspect that most of it is not prepared fresh. A majority of what we god was pre-packaged and assembled. The salad was room temperature and a vinaigrette on a seafood salad doesn't work. I though I would try it but just didn't work. The servers were fair. It was hot and the place was pretty warm inside so I think they might have been a little testy. Being a hot day they were out of Iced Tea. I don't know how that happens since tea bags can be purchased at just across the street at Safeway. I heard several sorry's from the staff to other tables so I guess we are not the only ones who felt like we were paying to much for to little. If you go, go for the view.Special Features:
- An Ok RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2013We found the food to be rather bland and the service was very slow. The views, however, are exceptional and the live music they had that evening was really enjoyable, albeit a bit loud.Special Features:
- wonderful place to eat righthotspotDined on 7/14/2013wonderful place to eat right on the beach, We really enjoyed it and our server Amber was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was mediocre andBuddyMacDined on 7/13/2013The food was mediocre and the service was lack luster. The view was great of the lake, but that alone does not make me want to go back.Special Features: