Boathouse English Bay
1795 Beach Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6G 1Y9Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
Boathouse English Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/
- Phone: 6046692225x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm ; Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm Friday- Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm Sunday 5:00pm-9:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Brent Fisher
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Boathouse English Bay
The Boathouse is a casual fine dining restaurant with a beautiful view of English Bay from every table. With three different types of experiences, from a fun filled patio, to a cozy pub, to the top floor romantic dining room, there's a room for every occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Boathouse English Bay - Best Restaurants in English Bay ›
Boathouse English Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (84)special occasion (54)great for outdoor dining (29)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (26)fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (15)notable wine list (15)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Average food and serviceRockhopperDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant was recommended by our hotel staff and it was close to the hotel. We were given a table by the window which was nice. The service was slow and the food was average. There was a waiter who was singing and trying to involve the entire restaurant in his energetic performance. He also had some sort of contest for a soft drink between children at separate tables causing the kids to scream at each other with excitement. We were there for a quiet seafood dinner. In addition there were three birthdays with the usual singing. It appeared more like an average family restaurant which is best avoided if you are looking for a quiet place to have a good meal.
- As expectedFrequentDinerDined on 10/12/2014Been many times, it is a English Bay treasure. Comfortable, warm, just a great place to have in the hood!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014I've been to the Boathouse before and booked way in advance as we were coming from Calgary. They seated us in an awkward spot away from other diners and the view,as if we were not even part of the main dining room. We asked to be moved and they did, but still did not give us a window seat (despite having reservations). The food is expensive and not worth the price. I ordered the grilled halibut and although it was fine, it was a small piece of fish, it needed more seasoning (and I don't normal add salt to anything!), the mango chutney was bland and the asparagus did not taste fresh and all of this for ~$32?! Total disappointment and likely won't return. Outdated and food could be much improved for the price.
- Anniversary DinnerSwingyDined on 10/12/2014My wife and I went to the Boathouse to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Service was excellent,....food was very good,....view is great, even though it was raining,.....and they comped the dessert for our special occasion. Very nice touch,.....and shows that they think about the customer. It impressed both of us. Our server was attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable. Would recommend for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- soo soo good!rlcsrgDined on 10/11/2014I had the Coconut Lime Cod with Quinoa and Asparagus, my husband had Crab&Lobster Ravioli. It was SO GOOD! The service was excellent and our server checked in just enough times that we were happy and not annoyed. I wish I had saved room for the Espressos Creme Brule! It looked amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Fest was worth itHungryEatsVIPDined on 10/9/2014An exceptionally well spoken young lady was our server and she was well informed about the dishes and went the extra mile to answer our rather unusual questions directly with the chef. There were three of us and we ordered Blackened Steel-head, Miso pan-fried fish and salmon stuffed with lobster! All were delicious!Special Features:
- Awesome server!mytreatDined on 10/1/2014Our server was amazing so much so my husband left her a 25% gratuity. Unfortunately he found his peppercorn steak tough and grisily however our other 3 meals were excellent. It was our daughter's birthday and even though we only did a quiet little toast once we received our drinks our server must have overheard that exchange and at the end of the meal brought her a piece of cake with sparkler courtesy of the Boathouse which was very considerate. We would highly recommend your establishment mostly because of the service we received. Thank-you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same issues as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014I used to dine at the boathouse in English Bay somewhat frequently so when I had friends in from out of town I thoughht it would be perfect for brunch. We arrived as a table of 6 in the dining room. There was one other table of 4 ladies up there and that was it. After chit chatting and laughing with friends we all ordered. 4 lobster Benny, a shrimp I'm,et and he salmon hash. We waited about 20 minutes for our meal with only one other table in the restaurant. After about 15 minutes, I noticed hey were starting to plate our food. I wish it were later as the grilled cheese stayed on expo for over 5 minutes. By the time it reached us it was long gone. Our server was sweet as ever, but not very attentive. refills were requested 3 timesSpecial Features:
- The tide was out...notagourmetVIPDined on 9/25/2014Open table reviews for The Boathouse have tended to vary, but we decided to go ahead and give the place a try. Unfortunately, we must have caught them on an "off" night. The service was inconsistent and on the whole disappointing. It varied from too chatty/intrusive to disappearing and inaccessible. The food? Meh. Overpriced for certain. We had the crab stuffed shrimp and a veggie pasta dish. Not a lot of flavour/flavour profiles. Just not that interesting and tasty in the end. They also pushed some sort of frequent dining card really hard --- with the manager ready to come over and set up our account. Yuk on that. We will give them another try one of these days - but not anytime soon.
- DELICIOUS!StowellFanDined on 9/23/2014The blackened steelhead was one of the BEST preparations like this that I have had! It was wonderful. Also recommend ensuring one gets the mashed potatoes. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EddyDined on 9/23/2014We would recommend boathouse it was friendly,service was excellent and the food was amazing. Salmon on cedar plate love it.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerDisenchantedDined on 9/17/2014My wife and I attended for dinner @ 7:00 p.m. The greetings at the front was enthusiastic and welcoming. The lower floor was almost deserted and we had a selection of tables. The waiter was presentable and friendly. The only complaint we had was the size of our meals. For $30.00 + per meal I expected a reasonable size portion. But it was miniscule and because of that, we will eat at the Cactus Club next time we are in your area.Overall, we were not impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewGeoffHDined on 9/16/2014A place like the Boathouse, you go for the view, and if the food is good, that's a bonus. Started out with the tuna tataki, properly cooked and seasoned. Cocktails were very good. For dinner, I had the halibut and chips. The halibut was nicely cooked, not over or under cooked. My dinner companion had fish stew, and she enjoyed it. The fish and shellfish were fresh, properly cooked, and flavourful. Overall, a good evening, and worth a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where did the wond come from?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014Got seated in the dining-patio area and felt a cold draft coming in between the tall glass panels. We moved first inside in the dining room, to realize that there was a draft coming from the ceiling as well, like air conditioning. So we moved to the outside patio as it was warmer outside than inside. I mentioned this to service at the end and was explained that there is no AC in this restaurant. I don't live in Vancouver anymore, so it doesn't really matter. But since you asked, this will be a reason for me not to recommend this BoatHouse - which has the most fabulous view of English Bay. We freeze in there on a bright sunny day, at 21 degrees outside. On the other hand, food was excellent.Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodGottaEatOutDined on 9/14/2014We went because it was close by, and friends were staying in the Bay. Oh, and An Open Table special. What we got was very good food (crunchy coconut shrimp, yum!). But the part that made it for us was the engaging service. My favorite BH location is still Horseshoe Bay (same good food with better view - so romantic), but it is worth going to this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, however...LorenzoDined on 9/14/2014Went here with my wife for a rare occasion of dining out before a concert. Perfectly prepared seafood for both of us (mixed seafood grill for me and the seafood chop salad for her), house wine (Tyee Gewurztraminer for me) was delicious, very friendly hostess. However, we were seated upstairs where the air conditioner had given up in the morning and it was stifling! We were not asked if we would prefer any other seating (there is a downstairs bar where the air was working, or an outside deck) - perhaps they had no other seats available. I was quite ticked about it until I realized that our poor waitress was beaded up with sweat - she was the one with the hard work. Would have been nice to have some forewarning or other choices offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View to die for!LlannieDined on 9/13/2014Without saying, considering we sat upstairs next to a window across the street from English Bay - the view was nothing short of spectacular when the sun went down! The service was cheerful and friendly right from hostess through to busboy. Our server was particularly helpful, happy and accommodating! We were very pleasantly surprised that all our dishes were superb! Kudos to the kitchen! The food was delicious and just the correct proportions and attractively plated. To be honest, we had not expected the food to be that great but all of us dining were more than happy with our orders. We shared the seafood platter for starters between the 4 of us and it was very tasty and sufficient and had us drooling for our entrees. Excellent seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service.RobthebruceVIPDined on 9/10/2014Completely horrible service. Will never go back again.Special Features:
- VoltarrVIPDined on 9/8/2014Halibut and chips! It's not too often you find fish and chips with Halibut. It's normally Cod. Love it!!!Special Features:
- It's about the VIEW...MissVVIPDined on 9/6/2014…because it sure ain't about the food! Wow. I hadn't been there in years (because I find their food substandard), but a friend wanted to go there so we went. Yup. The food was still terrible, but the view was fantastic. Our server was also great. Our fries were soggy, wet, and limp (you know that boney-white colour) - it looked like it took a bath in tepid oil.
- No A/CStenoDined on 8/31/2014We were sweating the whole time we were there Kinda spoiled our time there and added extra salt to our plates Scallops disappointing/steaks good/mussels good/salmon yummy Wonderful location though Lovely waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice view!good4youDined on 8/31/2014The view from the deck is great! I enjoyed my B-day lunch here.Special Features:
- aceteraceterDined on 8/28/2014We arrived on time and were seated promptly. The waiter was initially attentive and served us well through the appetizers. The seafood platter was very good and all our guests enjoyed it. We ordered some wine with the mains and had to wait some time to get it. The waiter seemed to disappear for a while. We were then told the wine was not available and reordered the wine. After another long wait and after we had received our entrees, the wine did finally arrive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014The food was OK. I had the scallops which were small and over cooked. My husband had the Halibut which was nice. The calamari appetizer were a disappointment. Hardly any rings but a lot of end pieces. Overall Ok nothing what we expected.Special Features:
- low chairslowchairsDined on 8/26/2014I felt slightly low in my chair which I don't likeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beachside BeautyStowellFanDined on 8/24/2014This was the perfect place for a weekend brunch. With nice weather, sitting out on the deck, the smoked salmon hash and caesars made us feel like we had a bit of a vacation - though much more affordable. Delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent seafood and cocktail listreider04Dined on 8/22/2014The seafood was incredible, fresh and perfectly cooked. The cocktail's and wine list provide a great pairing to excellent food. Along with the beautiful view this place is a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewPaulDined on 8/21/2014Met friends at this scenic location and enjoyed the food. Not overly busy which was good for chatting around the table and being heard. Service was friendly.Special Features:
- Nice place to go.GoodEatingDined on 8/17/2014A bit pricey for the amount of food. I took my granddaughter for a treat. She ordered from the children's menu. I felt her meal was more substantial than mine! Service was great. We enjoyed the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is far too noisy, you cannot converse with your table mates. The waiter forgot to bring the soup, so we waited for 20 minutes before the, by then luke warm soup arrived, followed immediately by the main course. I will not return, there are better alternatives in the neighborhood.
- Great seafood restaurantTrainmanDined on 8/15/2014We visit this restaurant at least once a month. We thoroughly enjoy our experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlippingnorthshoregalDined on 8/14/2014I have been going to kegs and boathouse restaurants for years but the food was not that good. The scallops were very overlooked and the risotto under. The crab was a bit fishy and was expensive. Great service by our waitress from Ireland.Special Features:
- disappointing experienceyummVIPDined on 8/12/2014our server tried hard but was just not up to the professional standard I expected of the Boathouse. 3 specifics I was not happy with - 1) bread is not served on the patio even on request. Was told that's only for the (privileged) dining room customers! (not something I expect when having any dinner out.) 2) we ordered a pino grigio and was served chardonnay Not that we're wine connoisseurs but i was not happy having to pay the add'l price for the chardonnay. 3) manager nowhere in sight and not available when I asked for one. Was only given his business card. Boathouse can be a great place for dining & people watch. Just sad that our experience was not up to par this time.
- Food was great-service not so muchDinerguyDined on 8/9/2014Our group of six enjoyed our dinner at the Boathouse English Bay, and would recommend the restaurant for most anyone. Setting on a warm summer evening looking out at the bay was great, our food was 'right on', and the atmosphere was good. The only disappointment was the service. We were continually having to hunt down someone for anything we needed. Understand it was busy, but at times we watched the servers stand around while we waited for another drink, our bill, to pay, etc. Overall, a nice meal but the service on this evening needed some attention.Special Features:
- Great view, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We only had 1 day in Vancouver and wanted a restaurant that had good food, not terribly expensive, and a nice view of the bay. This had it all. We don't get good seafood where we live, so we went for the prawns and oysters and tuna. Fabulous! Our waiter was prompt although I noticed other tables weren't so lucky. The wine was also good although the mixed drinks were a little "small" for the money. I would recommend the restaurant if you want to be wowed by the food and have a great view as well. The sea wall is right across the street too, so you can have a nice relaxing walk and "people watching" after or before your dinner.Special Features:
- Great waterviewsLennyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great dining experience on water especially for sunsets. Food and service very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited 4 years to be disappointedValuelessDined on 8/8/2014Seafood was too pricey for the size of the portion. My hamburger bun was burned and left me saying I would NEVER order it again.my ceaser salad lacked ceaser dressing.i have not been to the boathouse in 4 years and I don't think I will return.the quality was not there for the price they were charging.
- MehJoshDined on 8/7/2014Portion size was puny, I ordered the sirloin ($23), and it came with one slice of bell pepper, about 8 pea shoots, and a small dollop of mashed potatoes.. I could call it a children's dish to be honest.Special Features:
- Hit ans MissOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2014Appetizers came in 5 minutes while we waited 30 minuted for our entrees. Dinner guests requesteed no garlic on their steak but steak came over a slop of garlic potatoes. Very limited desert menu, asked for ice cream or sorbet and they didn't have any. Asked for some fresh fruit and they brought me 3 sliced strawberries and a few rasberries, then charged $6.00 for it! Not returning anytime soon. Should have eaten downstairs in the bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Great view, great food, and fantastic service. We will be back.Special Features: