Boathouse English Bay
1795 Beach Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6G 1Y9Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
Boathouse English Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/
- Phone: 6046692225x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm ; Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm Friday- Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm Sunday 5:00pm-9:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Brent Fisher
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Boathouse English Bay
The Boathouse is a casual fine dining restaurant with a beautiful view of English Bay from every table. With three different types of experiences, from a fun filled patio, to a cozy pub, to the top floor romantic dining room, there's a room for every occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Boathouse English Bay - Best Restaurants in English Bay ›
Boathouse English Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (111)special occasion (58)great for outdoor dining (42)romantic (36)good for groups (35)neighborhood gem (28)great for brunch (27)great for lunch (25)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (20)hot spot (17)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014My wife and I attended for dinner @ 7:00 p.m. The greetings at the front was enthusiastic and welcoming. The lower floor was almost deserted and we had a selection of tables. The waiter was presentable and friendly. The only complaint we had was the size of our meals. For $30.00 + per meal I expected a reasonable size portion. But it was miniscule and because of that, we will eat at the Cactus Club next time we are in your area.Overall, we were not impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewGeoffHDined on 9/16/2014A place like the Boathouse, you go for the view, and if the food is good, that's a bonus. Started out with the tuna tataki, properly cooked and seasoned. Cocktails were very good. For dinner, I had the halibut and chips. The halibut was nicely cooked, not over or under cooked. My dinner companion had fish stew, and she enjoyed it. The fish and shellfish were fresh, properly cooked, and flavourful. Overall, a good evening, and worth a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where did the wond come from?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014Got seated in the dining-patio area and felt a cold draft coming in between the tall glass panels. We moved first inside in the dining room, to realize that there was a draft coming from the ceiling as well, like air conditioning. So we moved to the outside patio as it was warmer outside than inside. I mentioned this to service at the end and was explained that there is no AC in this restaurant. I don't live in Vancouver anymore, so it doesn't really matter. But since you asked, this will be a reason for me not to recommend this BoatHouse - which has the most fabulous view of English Bay. We freeze in there on a bright sunny day, at 21 degrees outside. On the other hand, food was excellent.Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodGottaEatOutDined on 9/14/2014We went because it was close by, and friends were staying in the Bay. Oh, and An Open Table special. What we got was very good food (crunchy coconut shrimp, yum!). But the part that made it for us was the engaging service. My favorite BH location is still Horseshoe Bay (same good food with better view - so romantic), but it is worth going to this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, however...LorenzoDined on 9/14/2014Went here with my wife for a rare occasion of dining out before a concert. Perfectly prepared seafood for both of us (mixed seafood grill for me and the seafood chop salad for her), house wine (Tyee Gewurztraminer for me) was delicious, very friendly hostess. However, we were seated upstairs where the air conditioner had given up in the morning and it was stifling! We were not asked if we would prefer any other seating (there is a downstairs bar where the air was working, or an outside deck) - perhaps they had no other seats available. I was quite ticked about it until I realized that our poor waitress was beaded up with sweat - she was the one with the hard work. Would have been nice to have some forewarning or other choices offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View to die for!LlannieDined on 9/13/2014Without saying, considering we sat upstairs next to a window across the street from English Bay - the view was nothing short of spectacular when the sun went down! The service was cheerful and friendly right from hostess through to busboy. Our server was particularly helpful, happy and accommodating! We were very pleasantly surprised that all our dishes were superb! Kudos to the kitchen! The food was delicious and just the correct proportions and attractively plated. To be honest, we had not expected the food to be that great but all of us dining were more than happy with our orders. We shared the seafood platter for starters between the 4 of us and it was very tasty and sufficient and had us drooling for our entrees. Excellent seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service.RobthebruceVIPDined on 9/10/2014Completely horrible service. Will never go back again.Special Features:
- VoltarrVIPDined on 9/8/2014Halibut and chips! It's not too often you find fish and chips with Halibut. It's normally Cod. Love it!!!Special Features:
- No A/CStenoDined on 8/31/2014We were sweating the whole time we were there Kinda spoiled our time there and added extra salt to our plates Scallops disappointing/steaks good/mussels good/salmon yummy Wonderful location though Lovely waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice view!good4youDined on 8/31/2014The view from the deck is great! I enjoyed my B-day lunch here.Special Features:
- aceteraceterDined on 8/28/2014We arrived on time and were seated promptly. The waiter was initially attentive and served us well through the appetizers. The seafood platter was very good and all our guests enjoyed it. We ordered some wine with the mains and had to wait some time to get it. The waiter seemed to disappear for a while. We were then told the wine was not available and reordered the wine. After another long wait and after we had received our entrees, the wine did finally arrive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014The food was OK. I had the scallops which were small and over cooked. My husband had the Halibut which was nice. The calamari appetizer were a disappointment. Hardly any rings but a lot of end pieces. Overall Ok nothing what we expected.Special Features:
- low chairslowchairsDined on 8/26/2014I felt slightly low in my chair which I don't likeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beachside BeautyStowellFanDined on 8/24/2014This was the perfect place for a weekend brunch. With nice weather, sitting out on the deck, the smoked salmon hash and caesars made us feel like we had a bit of a vacation - though much more affordable. Delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent seafood and cocktail listreider04Dined on 8/22/2014The seafood was incredible, fresh and perfectly cooked. The cocktail's and wine list provide a great pairing to excellent food. Along with the beautiful view this place is a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewPaulDined on 8/21/2014Met friends at this scenic location and enjoyed the food. Not overly busy which was good for chatting around the table and being heard. Service was friendly.Special Features:
- Nice place to go.GoodEatingDined on 8/17/2014A bit pricey for the amount of food. I took my granddaughter for a treat. She ordered from the children's menu. I felt her meal was more substantial than mine! Service was great. We enjoyed the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is far too noisy, you cannot converse with your table mates. The waiter forgot to bring the soup, so we waited for 20 minutes before the, by then luke warm soup arrived, followed immediately by the main course. I will not return, there are better alternatives in the neighborhood.
- Great seafood restaurantTrainmanDined on 8/15/2014We visit this restaurant at least once a month. We thoroughly enjoy our experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlippingnorthshoregalDined on 8/14/2014I have been going to kegs and boathouse restaurants for years but the food was not that good. The scallops were very overlooked and the risotto under. The crab was a bit fishy and was expensive. Great service by our waitress from Ireland.Special Features:
- disappointing experienceyummVIPDined on 8/12/2014our server tried hard but was just not up to the professional standard I expected of the Boathouse. 3 specifics I was not happy with - 1) bread is not served on the patio even on request. Was told that's only for the (privileged) dining room customers! (not something I expect when having any dinner out.) 2) we ordered a pino grigio and was served chardonnay Not that we're wine connoisseurs but i was not happy having to pay the add'l price for the chardonnay. 3) manager nowhere in sight and not available when I asked for one. Was only given his business card. Boathouse can be a great place for dining & people watch. Just sad that our experience was not up to par this time.
- Food was great-service not so muchDinerguyDined on 8/9/2014Our group of six enjoyed our dinner at the Boathouse English Bay, and would recommend the restaurant for most anyone. Setting on a warm summer evening looking out at the bay was great, our food was 'right on', and the atmosphere was good. The only disappointment was the service. We were continually having to hunt down someone for anything we needed. Understand it was busy, but at times we watched the servers stand around while we waited for another drink, our bill, to pay, etc. Overall, a nice meal but the service on this evening needed some attention.Special Features:
- Great view, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We only had 1 day in Vancouver and wanted a restaurant that had good food, not terribly expensive, and a nice view of the bay. This had it all. We don't get good seafood where we live, so we went for the prawns and oysters and tuna. Fabulous! Our waiter was prompt although I noticed other tables weren't so lucky. The wine was also good although the mixed drinks were a little "small" for the money. I would recommend the restaurant if you want to be wowed by the food and have a great view as well. The sea wall is right across the street too, so you can have a nice relaxing walk and "people watching" after or before your dinner.Special Features:
- Great waterviewsLennyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great dining experience on water especially for sunsets. Food and service very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited 4 years to be disappointedValuelessDined on 8/8/2014Seafood was too pricey for the size of the portion. My hamburger bun was burned and left me saying I would NEVER order it again.my ceaser salad lacked ceaser dressing.i have not been to the boathouse in 4 years and I don't think I will return.the quality was not there for the price they were charging.
- MehJoshDined on 8/7/2014Portion size was puny, I ordered the sirloin ($23), and it came with one slice of bell pepper, about 8 pea shoots, and a small dollop of mashed potatoes.. I could call it a children's dish to be honest.Special Features:
- lovely location, great foodDrChaosDined on 7/29/2014would be that much better if apatio location could be reserved.Special Features:
- A Restaurant that has EverythingBoboloDined on 7/29/2014The best New York cut steak I have ever had. The service was excellent. We had a window table with a view of English Bay. In a word, superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be backFunkyDined on 7/29/2014I expected more somehow. The boathouse patio looked lovely but was much too hot on a warm summer night. There is no shelter from the sun. We had to move inside which our server seemed irritated by. One inside we had a lovely chipper server. I ordered a salad with seafood that was very dissapointing. The salmon was dry and not seasoned. The shrimp seemed like it might hav been from a can and I think there was one scallop in the whole dish.
- Great view and menuLuv2dineDined on 7/28/2014This was my second visit to this location. The view here is amazing and there is a good variety on the menu. Items are reasonably priced and nicely prepared and presented. I would highly recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- Disappointing food this timeguestDined on 7/20/2014I chose The Boathouse at Spanish Banks because I wanted my guests from overseas to have a full experience of the good things Vancouver has to offer. I often go to the Boathouse in New Westminster, and The Boathouse brunches are a constant in our list of places to celebrate special occasions--but the food in this particular occasion was underwhelming--dry potatoes, next to no sauce in the bennies, and things missing from our order. Despite the mix up in our order the server was very friendly and attentive, and tried his best to fix the shortcomings. But the quality of the food could not be helped. I would probably return to this Boathouse, since the service was good and the view is beautiful, but I would be hesitant to go for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Great Service Great ViewArkyguyDined on 7/14/2014Classic dinning with a west coast flare. Overlooking majestic English Bay at the foot of Davie Street and Denman. Traditional white table cloth dinning room and a great outdoor second level patio with a west facing view for afternoon sun and lovely sunsets. The food is outstanding and may make you forget the view once your meal arrives. House made deserts and full bar just tops it off.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The air conditioning was not working when we were there so it was uncomfortably hot. The food and service was very good.Special Features:
- nice place to tryJingDined on 7/11/2014the food in my opnion was good, nothing extrordinary. The server serving us was very attentive and on the ball. Nice location close to english bay with a good view on the second floor. Overall I enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- We had great dinner time.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2014Sorry, my english very poor. We visited 12 year ago Boathouse English Bay. Same nice people and Great foods. Thank you, Boathouse English Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view of English BayBClimerDined on 7/4/2014Sat in the covered outside section for a late evening meal. Food and service were great. Seared Tuna was delicious with Tiger Prawns as an appy. Was a little noisy outside though with a drumming band playing on the water front for half our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boathouse DownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Unremarkable! I had chowder to start, it was lukewarm. She had the Sweet Chili chicken appetizer: very good, Sadly the (first) best part of both our meals. I had Seafood Pasta: I was 'Okay'. She had Asiago chicken: it was 'okay'. We had coffee and shared cheesecake to finish. The second best part of our meal.Special Features:
- Good.FoodiesdotorgDined on 6/28/2014Good but not great, I ordered the steak and lobster tail. Although the lobster was delicious, the steak I had left me wanting more. The flavor was there but it was quite tough and disappointing. The broccolini I had with it was barely cooked. So much so that when I tried to cut into it, it flew off my plate. For the amount of money the entree was, I was expecting a whole lot more.Special Features:
- Seafood palaceTheGlutenFreeActressVIPDined on 6/26/2014The seafood here is great. I usually eat vegetarian but at the Boathouse I spoil myself with some fibs and feel good knowing it was caught following the guidelines of the Ocean Wise programSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent VarietyPoppyDined on 6/25/2014Lots of different choices on the menu. There is something for everyone. An absolutely gorgeous location that shows off one of the best views in Vancouver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.