Boathouse English Bay
1795 Beach Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6G 1Y9Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
Boathouse English Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/
- Phone: 6046692225x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm ; Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm Friday- Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm Sunday 5:00pm-9:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Brent Fisher
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Boathouse English Bay
The Boathouse is a casual fine dining restaurant with a beautiful view of English Bay from every table. With three different types of experiences, from a fun filled patio, to a cozy pub, to the top floor romantic dining room, there's a room for every occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Boathouse English Bay - Best Restaurants in English Bay ›
Boathouse English Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (122)special occasion (60)romantic (40)great for outdoor dining (39)good for groups (36)great for brunch (34)great for lunch (31)neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (26)hot spot (15)notable wine list (14)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- low chairsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014I felt slightly low in my chair which I don't likeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beachside BeautyStowellFanDined on 8/24/2014This was the perfect place for a weekend brunch. With nice weather, sitting out on the deck, the smoked salmon hash and caesars made us feel like we had a bit of a vacation - though much more affordable. Delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent seafood and cocktail listreider04Dined on 8/22/2014The seafood was incredible, fresh and perfectly cooked. The cocktail's and wine list provide a great pairing to excellent food. Along with the beautiful view this place is a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Met friends at this scenic location and enjoyed the food. Not overly busy which was good for chatting around the table and being heard. Service was friendly.Special Features:
- Nice place to go.GoodEatingDined on 8/17/2014A bit pricey for the amount of food. I took my granddaughter for a treat. She ordered from the children's menu. I felt her meal was more substantial than mine! Service was great. We enjoyed the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is far too noisy, you cannot converse with your table mates. The waiter forgot to bring the soup, so we waited for 20 minutes before the, by then luke warm soup arrived, followed immediately by the main course. I will not return, there are better alternatives in the neighborhood.
- Great seafood restaurantTrainmanDined on 8/15/2014We visit this restaurant at least once a month. We thoroughly enjoy our experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlippingnorthshoregalDined on 8/14/2014I have been going to kegs and boathouse restaurants for years but the food was not that good. The scallops were very overlooked and the risotto under. The crab was a bit fishy and was expensive. Great service by our waitress from Ireland.Special Features:
- disappointing experienceyummVIPDined on 8/12/2014our server tried hard but was just not up to the professional standard I expected of the Boathouse. 3 specifics I was not happy with - 1) bread is not served on the patio even on request. Was told that's only for the (privileged) dining room customers! (not something I expect when having any dinner out.) 2) we ordered a pino grigio and was served chardonnay Not that we're wine connoisseurs but i was not happy having to pay the add'l price for the chardonnay. 3) manager nowhere in sight and not available when I asked for one. Was only given his business card. Boathouse can be a great place for dining & people watch. Just sad that our experience was not up to par this time.
- Food was great-service not so muchDinerguyDined on 8/9/2014Our group of six enjoyed our dinner at the Boathouse English Bay, and would recommend the restaurant for most anyone. Setting on a warm summer evening looking out at the bay was great, our food was 'right on', and the atmosphere was good. The only disappointment was the service. We were continually having to hunt down someone for anything we needed. Understand it was busy, but at times we watched the servers stand around while we waited for another drink, our bill, to pay, etc. Overall, a nice meal but the service on this evening needed some attention.Special Features:
- Great view, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We only had 1 day in Vancouver and wanted a restaurant that had good food, not terribly expensive, and a nice view of the bay. This had it all. We don't get good seafood where we live, so we went for the prawns and oysters and tuna. Fabulous! Our waiter was prompt although I noticed other tables weren't so lucky. The wine was also good although the mixed drinks were a little "small" for the money. I would recommend the restaurant if you want to be wowed by the food and have a great view as well. The sea wall is right across the street too, so you can have a nice relaxing walk and "people watching" after or before your dinner.Special Features:
- Great waterviewsLennyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great dining experience on water especially for sunsets. Food and service very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited 4 years to be disappointedValuelessDined on 8/8/2014Seafood was too pricey for the size of the portion. My hamburger bun was burned and left me saying I would NEVER order it again.my ceaser salad lacked ceaser dressing.i have not been to the boathouse in 4 years and I don't think I will return.the quality was not there for the price they were charging.
- MehJoshDined on 8/7/2014Portion size was puny, I ordered the sirloin ($23), and it came with one slice of bell pepper, about 8 pea shoots, and a small dollop of mashed potatoes.. I could call it a children's dish to be honest.Special Features:
- Hit ans MissOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2014Appetizers came in 5 minutes while we waited 30 minuted for our entrees. Dinner guests requesteed no garlic on their steak but steak came over a slop of garlic potatoes. Very limited desert menu, asked for ice cream or sorbet and they didn't have any. Asked for some fresh fruit and they brought me 3 sliced strawberries and a few rasberries, then charged $6.00 for it! Not returning anytime soon. Should have eaten downstairs in the bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Great view, great food, and fantastic service. We will be back.Special Features:
- lovely location, great foodDrChaosDined on 7/29/2014would be that much better if apatio location could be reserved.Special Features:
- A Restaurant that has EverythingBoboloDined on 7/29/2014The best New York cut steak I have ever had. The service was excellent. We had a window table with a view of English Bay. In a word, superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be backFunkyDined on 7/29/2014I expected more somehow. The boathouse patio looked lovely but was much too hot on a warm summer night. There is no shelter from the sun. We had to move inside which our server seemed irritated by. One inside we had a lovely chipper server. I ordered a salad with seafood that was very dissapointing. The salmon was dry and not seasoned. The shrimp seemed like it might hav been from a can and I think there was one scallop in the whole dish.
- Great view and menuLuv2dineDined on 7/28/2014This was my second visit to this location. The view here is amazing and there is a good variety on the menu. Items are reasonably priced and nicely prepared and presented. I would highly recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- Disappointing food this timeguestDined on 7/20/2014I chose The Boathouse at Spanish Banks because I wanted my guests from overseas to have a full experience of the good things Vancouver has to offer. I often go to the Boathouse in New Westminster, and The Boathouse brunches are a constant in our list of places to celebrate special occasions--but the food in this particular occasion was underwhelming--dry potatoes, next to no sauce in the bennies, and things missing from our order. Despite the mix up in our order the server was very friendly and attentive, and tried his best to fix the shortcomings. But the quality of the food could not be helped. I would probably return to this Boathouse, since the service was good and the view is beautiful, but I would be hesitant to go for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Great Service Great ViewArkyguyDined on 7/14/2014Classic dinning with a west coast flare. Overlooking majestic English Bay at the foot of Davie Street and Denman. Traditional white table cloth dinning room and a great outdoor second level patio with a west facing view for afternoon sun and lovely sunsets. The food is outstanding and may make you forget the view once your meal arrives. House made deserts and full bar just tops it off.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The air conditioning was not working when we were there so it was uncomfortably hot. The food and service was very good.Special Features:
- nice place to tryJingDined on 7/11/2014the food in my opnion was good, nothing extrordinary. The server serving us was very attentive and on the ball. Nice location close to english bay with a good view on the second floor. Overall I enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- We had great dinner time.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2014Sorry, my english very poor. We visited 12 year ago Boathouse English Bay. Same nice people and Great foods. Thank you, Boathouse English Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view of English BayBClimerDined on 7/4/2014Sat in the covered outside section for a late evening meal. Food and service were great. Seared Tuna was delicious with Tiger Prawns as an appy. Was a little noisy outside though with a drumming band playing on the water front for half our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boathouse DownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Unremarkable! I had chowder to start, it was lukewarm. She had the Sweet Chili chicken appetizer: very good, Sadly the (first) best part of both our meals. I had Seafood Pasta: I was 'Okay'. She had Asiago chicken: it was 'okay'. We had coffee and shared cheesecake to finish. The second best part of our meal.Special Features:
- Good.FoodiesdotorgDined on 6/28/2014Good but not great, I ordered the steak and lobster tail. Although the lobster was delicious, the steak I had left me wanting more. The flavor was there but it was quite tough and disappointing. The broccolini I had with it was barely cooked. So much so that when I tried to cut into it, it flew off my plate. For the amount of money the entree was, I was expecting a whole lot more.Special Features:
- Seafood palaceTheGlutenFreeActressVIPDined on 6/26/2014The seafood here is great. I usually eat vegetarian but at the Boathouse I spoil myself with some fibs and feel good knowing it was caught following the guidelines of the Ocean Wise programSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent VarietyPoppyDined on 6/25/2014Lots of different choices on the menu. There is something for everyone. An absolutely gorgeous location that shows off one of the best views in Vancouver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many new staffMrMacRohardVIPDined on 6/21/2014We found non food debris in 2 dishes. Our waitress did not know how to react. While at the end both chef and manager came out and comp'd our main courses, shows they have too many inexperienced staff both in the front and the back. I think for the prices they charge, that is not acceptable.Special Features:
- Both Good and Bad experiencesGretschCGDined on 6/18/2014The restaurant is definitely kid-friendly.....to the point of noisey kids from the table next to us running around and disturbing other patrons. Obviously, the staff don't seem to believe that others do not want to hear screaming kids. Ambience? Was fine AFTER they left. As far as the food, my wife's shrimp dinner was excellent. Regarding mine.....the chef (I presume there was a chef involved) had problems coordinating the garlic mashed potatoes, greens and steak all being served at the same temperature. The mashed potatoes were warm as was the sirloin. The greens seemed fresh out of the fridge. On the second attempt.....same result. Would we come again? Yes, as we have had other experiences that were pleasant.....fortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014The food was fine, but the service was the problem. I went during the week and for brunch. We were the only ones there and our server kept disappearing. I needed ketchup at one point and I even to the kitchen to ask for it. The chef even asked "where is your server?"Special Features:
- Dinner is ok, serving not goodPAMELADined on 6/15/2014The waitress didn't attention to our table...first we asked for sauce, she didn't bring it. Then she took all the cutlery, didn't replace them. We ordered steak, there's no steak knife. Our main course came while we still having our appetizer. Back experience for return customer.Special Features:
- Great food, food was OKfred128VIPDined on 6/11/2014We chose to go here to celebrate the landing of a new job. The service was exceptional and our server was very attentive, especially towards my 9-year-old son who is a finicky eater. The food was OK and perhaps even a bit over-priced, but was partially compensated for by the gorgeous view of English Bay. The grilled halibut I ordered was overdone and a bit on the dry side, but the apple/cranberry crumble for dessert was fantastic. I have eaten at several different Boathouse locations before, including this one in the past, but in this one instance the food seemed a bit below my Boathouse expectations. This would not discourage me from going to the Boathouse again as I have never had a bad meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Dinner SpecialmbudDined on 6/10/2014I was able to partake of their early dining special from 3-6 pm. What a fine bargain. The restaurant was quiet, the staffing superb, the food was wonderful. It reminded me of why I used to go there for special occasions. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Visitor to CanadaDebs56Dined on 6/7/2014Visiting Vancouver from Western Australia and looking forward to sampling Halibut for the second time during our visit. Unfortunately it was a little over cooked, however the potatoes it came with were under cooked. The waiter was very efficient and polite. The restaurant view was perfect, but a little bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacky sales pitch, marginal food.DugarVIPDined on 6/7/2014We went to the Boathouse because I read that it had a great view, and it does. That is my only positive comment. Our waiter began with a sale pitch for a frequent dining card to Landry restaurants in a schtick that took at least five minutes, before we'd even placed drink orders. This was tacky and irritating, and I believe standard at all Landry-owned restaurants. (See also Morton's Steakhouse.) The décor of the place is from the late 1980s and shabby. The route to the restroom was visibly dirty and took me past the door where the bussers were taking out the trash. The menu is like TGI Fridays, plastic, with photos of the cocktails. And the food was marginal, yet expensive. This may have been nice back in the day, but not anymore.Special Features:
- Long wait for foodNathouVIPDined on 6/6/2014The food was really good, but had to wait more than 50 minutes for our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAlocalDined on 6/6/2014Unfortunately, the restaurant is one that I have previously visited so, maybe it was just a bad night. Food arrived cool, took over 25 minutes between ordering and serving and in between, wait staff were often difficult to reach. Will only return for the view.Special Features: