Boathouse at Breach Inlet
101 Palm Boulevard
Isle Of Palms, SC 29451Neighborhood:
Isle of Palms
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Boathouse at Breach Inlet
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.boathouserestaurants.com/
- Phone: 8438868000
- Hours of Operation:
Winter hours: Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Summer hours: Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Crow bar opened daily at 3:00pm
Lunch served seasonally May - September 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Charles Arena
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering menus available online at www.boathouserestaurants.com
- Private Party Facilities: Our deck overlooking the waterway accommodates 80 people. Availability is limited to certain seasons.
- Private Party Contact: Shawn Stullenbarger or Colleen OConnor 8438868000
- Special Events: Charleston Restaurant Week 3 for $30 Menu January 10 - 20th, 2013
A word from Boathouse at Breach Inlet
This waterfront locale is historically known as the launching site of our country's first submarine, the H.L. Hunley. Poised at the breach between the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic, you can enjoy a meal amongst the spectacular sunset views and balmy ocean breezes of the Isle of Palms. Come early and have a cocktail at the Rooftop Bar while enjoying amazing views before dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Boathouse at Breach Inlet - Best Restaurants in Isle of Palms ›
Boathouse at Breach Inlet reviews from OpenTable diners
258 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (206)great for outdoor dining (136)special occasion (89)neighborhood gem (82)good for groups (64)kid-friendly (57)fit for foodies (52)romantic (49)hot spot (26)great for brunch (24)vibrant bar scene (19)great for lunch (19)notable wine list (14)late-night find (7)Show More
- Local seafood w/ view of inletOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Wonderfully lightly breaded wild local fried shrimp and other local seafood. Good service, but overcooked greens!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud, but worth itajaxDined on 8/17/2014this restaurant was definitely vibrant with drunk locals. But, it was totally fine because our waitress made up for it and then some.....two thumbs up!!
- loud noisy and drippySCgalDined on 8/17/2014Very loud unruly children and inebriated adults. Condensation dripping on our heads. Average food. Our server was great but that didnt make up for other issues. Wont be backSpecial Features:
- excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Another wonderful meal. The wait staff handled our large party flawlessly and the food was outstanding. The collards could've been a tad warmer but a small issue on an otherwise great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedluv2dineDined on 8/16/2014Expectations were much higher based on reviews we had read. At 5:45 p.m. on a Sat nite they were out of a wine we had asked for as well as out of Mahi. They did offer an alternative wine which was quite good so we were pleased with that. Croutons in salad were rubbery and flounder was very average for the price. Staff was very friendly but we would just classify the food and ambience as very average.Special Features:
- top notch seafoodmdnqualityDined on 8/15/2014we've been there 4 times now and each time the food was excellent! A bit noisy but a fun casual atmosphere with a great view.Special Features:
- too noisyMarvell1Dined on 8/15/2014The food and service were excellent, but the noise level was unacceptable. The tables are much too close together, and the place itself allows high noise volume. We do not expect a silent restaurant, but would expect to be able to hear the waiter and ourselves speak.
- MamommyMamommyDined on 8/14/2014Great food,wonderful view. Food was a little slow coming out but well worth the waitSpecial Features:
- Were we unwelcomed?CharlestonFoodieDined on 8/14/2014We have not been here for quite some time. We were escorted to our table without any greeting. We were seated outside without being asked it that was our preference. The sun was shining on the table but the hostess just put our menus on the table and left. A waiter observed this and came over and lowered the blind. Our waitress showed no interest in our meal. I felt my questions were annoying her. I had a grilled swordfish which was very good. My husband had crabcakes which he did not like. The only personal attention we received from the waitress was when she returned our credit card and referred to my husband by name. Tip time? When we exited the restaurant no one at the hostess desk said thank you or good evening.Special Features:
- Special occasion dinnerlovecharlestondiningDined on 8/13/2014The Boathouse was outstanding from the time we arrived until we departed. Our food was great as was the service. I chose the Boathouse specifically because of the broiled seafood platter which exceeded my expectations. My husband's flounder over crab cake was excellent as well. Plus, we were treated to a complimentary dessert - a chocolate mousse cake that was delicious. I'm sure we will make many return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovethebeachlovethebeachDined on 8/12/2014We always include a night at The Boathouse while on vacation at Wild Dunes. It is a family tradition that we do this every year. Looking forward to next year. The food is always great and the service is efficient. We love to sit on the screened porch and see the views. Always fun for the adults and the kids.....Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD WITH A VIEWtpoorDined on 8/12/2014Had some out of towners that were staying on the MT Pleasant side of town so this was close option for them. First let me say, The Boathouse always has great food, selections, service. But the dining room is entirely to noisy. People are sat very close to each others tables and between that and the noise its just a deal killer for me. We were trying to discuss some business but with other guest sitting so close and the noise it was a bad choice. God forbid they sit you near noisy kids. While we were there a family had a kid that was 30' away and it sounded like they were right next to us! Just a kid being loud, but it was loud! I liked the location on East Bay. While they had some tables close to others most were 4 party friendly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014I have been here 2 times in three weeks. I have a daughter that is in a wheelchair. They do not have a ramp, but have a lift out front. It wasn't working three weeks ago and still doesn't work. They said they would have it fixed, but did not. the manager told me he has put this on the list for the owners to do for over a year now and nothing has been done. It is actually state law to be handicap assessable . They took us through some gravel and over several humps that without help we could not have made it. Because the only place they could get us too was the porch thats where we went. I had reservations at 7:15, but we had to wait for 45 mins to get a table because we couldn't get inside. The food was not up to par at allSpecial Features:
- Great seafood and viewsFoodZ72VIPDined on 8/10/2014We often bring visitors to the Boathouse because we can enjoy drinks & expansive views on the rooftop bar before dining. There is no better water view in the Low Country, in my opinion. The seafood is always fresh, varied, and delicious with several side options. There's choices for landlubbers too.Special Features:
- Fantastic fresh seafoodsunsetwavesDined on 8/9/2014Reservations made, seated on time, we loved our large booth for our party of five! The calamari was excellent-hot and crispy-great sauce with the right heat. We ordered fresh fish, fried oysters and shrimp-all were delicious and generous portions! We had a dolphin sighting as an added bonus! The location on this restaurant is perfect for Wild Dunes guests!We will return on our vacation next year:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMWK1313Dined on 8/8/2014This is the first restaurant we visit each time we come to the area. which is about four times a year. It is usually very good. The last two times have been very very disappointing. The service is mediocre and the food is less than mediocre. Is it a new chef or have they just become arrogant because the sunset is so beautiful. We will make another local our first stop in the future. Really very disappointing because we always have guests and want our first experience together to be like it was in the past. The food was always really nice, the service efficient, and the spot fun and lively. Too bad.
- Date Night!foodisgoodDined on 8/8/2014Me and my husband savor the few nights we are able to go out without the kids so its important to enjoy where we go! Two thumbs up for the Boathouse. The food was wonderful, the service was excellent and the view was lovely! We will return!Special Features:
- Great dinner/very busyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/7/2014The food and service were very good. It was extremely busy and felt a little cramped with all the tables so close together. Anyways, I'd still recommend it for a very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't meet up to the hype...ARG13Dined on 8/7/2014The food is kind of expensive so we assumed it would be a really nice place. While it was nice, it certainly didn't meet up to our expectations. The food was good but severely overpriced. The seating area was crowded & loud. The AC hardly worked in the humid Charleston weather. Our server was fantastic. He knew the menu well and spouted off the specials like a champ. He answered all of our questions with great knowledge & our drinks never ran dry. The food was nothing to write home about, though. The bread was too sour. My rice pilaf was under cooked. My seared tuna wasn't cooked to the temp I requested. I'd rather not mention the "seafood combination" my husband got except to say don't bother. Nice location, good server, OK food.Special Features:
- Excellent view, average foodBaBandy2Dined on 8/6/2014We sat outside on the patio and the view was amazing. Other than that the rest of our meal was a pretty much average. The menu is sparse if you are not a fish fan and the children's menu is also limited. The Boathouse has been a standard on our past trips to IOP but we will probably try something new next year.Special Features:
- IOPBGDined on 8/1/2014Very good grouper and swordfish, with excellent tastes. Fairly busy and louder atmosphere, with fun eating outside near the water.Special Features:
- Food was awesome! Best ever.angieddieDined on 7/31/2014Have dined here about 5 times but this time was the best! Hats off to chef and Beth our server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findStevieDDined on 7/27/2014Everyone around town knows this place. Was a short ride from the beach front area where things are more like Myrtle beach. Short ride from Wild Dunes resort on Pine Island. Fish fresh and excellent. I would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and fresh foodBusinessDinerDined on 7/27/2014Food was great as always, as was the service. We were seated outside, and that's tough in the summer. We specifically requested indoors, but they asked us to wait over an hour for that.Special Features:
- Great good, terrible serviceATXMikeDined on 7/26/2014Nothing new here...the good is amazing, and the service is awful. Same as it's been for years.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date nightMrAndMrsFry26Dined on 7/25/2014My wife and I enjoyed our last dinner before leaving town the next morning to head home. It was so nice to get dressed up for the evening after spending the whole week being beach bums and being greeted by friendly valet and wonderful waitress staff. Definitely order something seafood oriented from the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking forward to next trip to BHjawgaDined on 7/24/2014Always enjoy the Boathouse but this time was the best. Blackened grouper was excellent & gouda mac 'n cheese is a must. Staff was personable, attentive & helpful w/o smothering. Looking forward to return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go fish!LuvtoeatDined on 7/21/2014Good quality food. Waiter was terrific. Great waterway setting. Enjoyable nightI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencePdemoreVIPDined on 7/21/2014We went there based on a friends recommendation and really liked it. We were 2 adults and 2 kids. Started with a roof top drink while the kids watched the dolphins and then ate on the porch below. The welcome was great as our table was on time and the service was excellent. Food awesome. The Shrimp n Grits were amazing. My wife had the special, son lobster (off kids menu) and daughter pasta. Most likely going back before we head home Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificCharlestonDinerDined on 7/20/2014This was our second visit to the Boathouse for brunch. The menu offers an array of options including beverages, breads, and an amazing shrimp and grits. We've had several shrimp and grits around town and the Boathouse is definitely the best. The view overlooks the inter coastal waterways and inlet between Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island. This is a very common area to spot dolphins. While it appears exclusive on the outside, it is a very welcoming environment with attentive servers and excellent food at a reasonable price considering the portions, location and quality.Special Features:
- YUM!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I do believe that was the best meal I've ever had. Great atmosphere! Great food! LOVE The Boathouse!Special Features:
- Great Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014We are new to the area and are excited about the new places we get to go. The Boathouse served great food and the service we had was outstanding (Billy took very good care of us!). Fresh grouper (blackened) and wahoo (grilled) plus the blue cheese coleslaw and gouda mac & cheese were amazing. I would recommend this to everyone. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/17/2014We stayed on IOP and had two dinners in Charleston before dining here. We voted this dinner no. 1. It is more rustic, but more like the beach than going into town. Recommend without reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLuv2eatDined on 7/15/2014Very disappointed in the food. Seemed like a tourist place. We will not be back.Special Features:
- Great dinnerFoodduoDined on 7/13/2014When we arrived we were provided complimentary valet service which always sets a positive tone. We were seated on the screen enclosed porch with wonderful views of the intercostal waterway. Our food was excellent and appropriately portioned. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vacation spotKymomDined on 7/10/2014Chose this restaurant for our last night on vacation. Food was terrific and servers were very nice. Hostess was a little off putting but I chalk that up to young age and generational differences.Special Features:
- Great Food, but crowdedJoeVLDined on 7/9/2014When we arrived we were escorted to a dark corner, even though we had a reservation and there were better tables, including on the outside porch available. We asked to be outside and were put in a cramped area without a view. We were disappointed, but moved on and ordered. The drinks were short on alcohol. However, the food was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Service was poor. Having to ask for a refill on water and tea 4 times before receiving it is unexceptable. The food is to die for tho. There is no ramp for a handicap person to get in, which is actually against the law. My daughter is in a wheelchair and the did take us through an outside bar and gave us a table outside. but, some people may not be ok with dining outside. This should be corrected ASAPSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ByTheSeagoodiegoodieDined on 7/8/2014Fish was great, veggies and sides over cooked and tastelessSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable evening by the waterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Enjoyed a nice summer wine, the wedge salad and the sea scallops. Very tasty and just the right portion size. Once the sun started to set, a nice breeze came in and the outdoor seating was perfect!Special Features: