BO-beau kitchen + garden
8384 La Mesa Blvd
La Mesa, CA 91942-9218Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
BO-beau kitchen + garden
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/bobeaukitchengarden
- Phone: 6193373445x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Global, International, Unspecified
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from BO-beau kitchen + garden
BO beau kitchen + garden is located in the Village of La Mesa. BO beau offers Sophisticated Comfort Food with Global Inspirations. We have 24 Beers on tap, a worldly wine list and a full bar with eclectic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
BO-beau kitchen + garden - Best Restaurants in La Mesa ›
BO-beau kitchen + garden reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (138)great for outdoor dining (131)fit for foodies (108)special occasion (63)good for groups (52)kid-friendly (45)romantic (39)hot spot (34)great for brunch (28)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (21)scenic view (8)late-night find (6)Show More
- Good Food, Poor ServiceEpicureReViewerDined on 9/26/2014Restaurant Week (RW) usually crowds out the venues and this was not an exception. Bo-beau's K&G, packed when we arrived after 8:00PM, was nearly empty by 10PM yet the service (never good) worsened over time. Had we not had the prix fixe RW option cancelled the dessert order; instead we waited close to a half hour for them (the fault, seemingly, of the kitchen, not the server--who comped 2 drinks due to the delays). Overall, the Beef Bourguignon was tasty (if liquid-less), the appetizers overpromised but underdelivered, and the vaunted desserts, which were to be served hot, were not. It's great to have this restaurant in La Mesa but until it gets the service side cleaned up, consider avoiding Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Bo-beauronannDined on 9/26/2014Bo-beau is great, but just wish the seating was more comfortable. We were seated at a picnic table outside and it was extremely uncomfortable. Hard wood seat and no back. Food and Service were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mostly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The entrees were very good (mussels and sausage, skirt steak) but the salad, an heirloom tomato and buratta salad was terrible. The tomatoes had absolutely no taste. We buy heirloom tomatoes at farmers markets and they are always sweet and juicy. the tomatoes in this salad were rock hard and bland. We mentioned this to the waitress and she kind of ignored out comments.Special Features:
- Patio dining reviewAdjangopDined on 9/26/2014Great innovative dishes like all Cohen Group eateries. Busy on a Fri night, but still not difficult to get a table. Brussels sprout appetizer was amazing and I was hesitant to get it. Pork shank was an eye catcher and flavorful but didn't like it as much as I have other dishes. Not sure why. Look forward to returning to try something else.Special Features:
- Best in East Countywinecook1Dined on 9/25/2014We had a lovely evening sitting out on their patio and enjoying the summer evening. My wife had the Pork Belly flatbread with the apple wood smoked bacon, white cheddar, caramelized onions. I had the Burger Royale with pork belly, gouda, onion jam, roasted garlic aioli. Both were delicious. The Burger Royal is one of the top three burgers in San Diego County. It is nice that the East county finally has a nice restaurant. On previous trip I have had the Brussels Sprouts and they are outstanding. I would highly recommend this place. The Cohn’s have done it right … again.Special Features:
- La Mesa Bo-Beau DisappointmentyumyumDined on 9/25/2014The Restaurant Week Bo-Beau's in Ocean Beach had a fantastic French menu. The one in La Mesa did not. We sat outside & were pestered by flies. The service was lackluster. We had to ask for bread and water, for example. I had to end up ordering a burger, & the waiter did not even ask if I wanted a condiment.
- Try the BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2014Food was good. Sprouts and restaurant week special seemed overcooked. The burger was amazing. As was service and environment. Definitely willing to give menu another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place, perfect food.jules58Dined on 9/23/2014We have been to the original Bo-beau many times but decided ti check out this location. We were so happy we did. Loved everything about it. The menu slightly different but still had the amazing brussel sprouts we love. We also had the peach bbq ribs (yummy), panzanella salad, salmon and an amazing pumpkin bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnemDined on 9/21/2014First time to Bo Beau. I was very impressed. The Brussel sprouts and deviled eggs were delicious! Boeuf Bourguignon was excellent and very tender. My companions had the flat iron steak which was cooked well. However, the au poivre sauce was not good. It wasn't even a sauce. The server said it was prepared with green peppercorns which it wasn't. There was no sauce, just black peppercorns sitting on the top of the steak...not too appetizing at all. The server was very attentive and knowledgable. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Amazing as always!cb55Dined on 9/19/2014They never fail to impress me... Everything is great every time we come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Catherine was great with all of our special requests.Special Features:
- great brussel grilled sproutscjc1Dined on 9/7/2014The grilled brussel sprouts are worth going for! the burger w/ carmelized onions is great also. Service is very good, efficient & friendly. Drinks are small & overall the food & drink are a bit over priced. Nice place but only for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, service not so greatGavinVIPDined on 9/6/2014Not sure how to review this one, we were super excited for the food, heard so many great things. Started with the flat bread special that day, and some drinks. Then had the curry mussels and the brussel sprouts all were delicous. Now the service, server came by, very upbeat and friendly, we were hungry, so ordered the flat bread to start. She comes back 5 minutes later and asks if we would like an appetizer, told her we ordered, oops she forgot. Then tell her dinner order, brussel sprouts with panchetta on the side and the mussels. She comes back 5 minutes later and says, you wanted the mussels and the flat bread right? No, the mussels and the brussel sprouts panchetta on the side. Order comes panchetta all over the brussel sprouts :(Special Features:
- Great service and foodLorenaDined on 9/6/2014I've always loved Cohn Restaurant Group locations and our first visit to Bo-beau kitchen + garden did not disappoint! We went here for our anniversary dinner and had a special, low-key evening. We went to the bar, which was outdoors, and ordered a drink. Shortly thereafter, we were shown our table in the outdoor garden and our waiter brought the drinks we had ordered. From first sip, we knew our dinner would be delicious. Every bite was filling, delicious and a fresh take on tried-and-true favorites (yes, you should try the Brussels sprouts!). We really enjoyed our experience, too. Our waiter, Steven, was funny, attentive and had perfect timing. I HIGHLY recommend Bo-beau kitchen + garden!Special Features:
- kvolDined on 9/6/2014We have been here a few times and have always enjoyed. This was the first time I was slightly let down. They changed their famous brussel sprout appetizer and it is not nearly as tasty as it used to be. Though we sat inside both my husband and I felt like we were swatting flies away the whole time, he even needed to have his beer replaced because one became a floater in his drink. We went in for an early dinner at 6 and was surprised to find our service was slower than expected given the level of business, not sure how many tables our server was taking care of. There are not a great number of places right out here in La Mesa so I know we will be back but I just hope this does not fall victim to the "cursed location."Special Features:
- Very nice overallHorsewomanDined on 9/6/2014Very nice dining experience, waiter was prompt and helpful on suggestions. Did not have to wait long, and the ambience of the outside was very nicely set. I tend to get very lousy service most of the places I go, but I would definitely highly recommend this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor policiesRichardC1VIPDined on 9/4/2014Went for happy hour with our two small doggies so had to sit in the patio which is very nice. However they would not let us order from the happy hour menu, only the high price regular menu. Happy hour is only in the bar which didn't allow pets. I can understand the main dinning area, but the patio is an extension of the bar, not near the main dinning area. The Flatbread special was $18 and small. The fried chicken also $18 for two small pieces of dark meat chicken. Patio was very nice, but empty. I think the only reason they don't have happy hour in the empty patio is one of greed and not good customer relations.Special Features:
- Date nightteamVIPDined on 9/3/2014This is a truly amazing place to dine. they keep it fresh and the staff is will trained. We have been dining there regular on Wednesday night and we always book our table online.Special Features:
- GorgeousRomyDined on 8/29/2014The restaurant is huge. It has outdoor, upstairs and downstairs dining. The decor is sophisticated and casual. They don't have too much options for food, but when you get them, they look very pretty. I had the burger and it was very delicious and juicy. Servers are really nice and informative. Our bday girl even got a free ice cream. The only con is that their happy hour is only for people sitting at the bar. Would be nice to have it available for all diners. Other than that, it was a good experience, will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nancymDined on 8/29/2014Love the charred Brussels sprouts and the moules et frites in currySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cuisine in La MesaSeluzakDined on 8/27/2014My full review can be found on TripAdvisor under the same title, here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32579-d4886762-Reviews-BO_beau_kitchen_garden-La_Mesa_California.html Suffice it to say, we had a great experience. The food, the drinks, the service - everything was fantastic and we would recommend it to anybody.Special Features:
- Loved it!FoodieDined on 8/21/2014I had such a great experience here! The food was AMAZING! I met here with a couple of girlfriends and we stayed and chatted at our table outside for well over 3 hours. We kept on ordering appetizers and entrees, and each one was delicious! From the "new" hummus to the flatbreads to the fried chicken...seriously, delicious! (By the way, the cream corn and apple cornbread muffin was life changingly good!) Not only was the food great, but the atmosphere and staff was wonderful. From the super friendly hostess who say us at our gorgeous outside table, to our waitress who actually sat next to me to help me look through the beer menu to find one I would like. Really, I can't say enough about the experience here. We all had such a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, okay serviceMellyVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food was good. Everyone was happy with their dinner. I rate the service okay. Our waitress was extremely nice, but over attentive. To be perfectly honest, she talked entirely too much and it was distracting. It almost felt like "Okay, please let us enjoy our meal now." I hate to say anything bad about her because she was so nice and the food was pretty good, but that's just my honest opinion.Special Features:
- AwesomeTonkinDined on 8/16/2014This place was really great. The food was off the charts! I would highly recommend the bruschetta appetizer.Special Features:
- Perfectly unseasoned and dried outJimmyDined on 8/16/2014I had dinner on a busy Saturday evening. The staff was very attentive and efficient, but the food doesn't measure up. The crudites were little pieces of vegetable in a fluid that wasn't water. They had no taste or flair. The deviled eggs were well seasoned and good. My catch of the day was over cooked, dried out and tasteless. I didn't taste the salmon but it looked over cooked and dried out too. The wine was good but was served in water glasses. Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing, but I won't be going back.
- SheilaDined on 8/15/2014Great to have a Cohn restaurant in the east county! Food was great, decent portion size! We had the crispy Brussels sprouts, beef Bourgogne, roasted pork shank and the steak frittes. No complaints. Our server, TJ was pleasant and attentive. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Not up to Cohn's standards....ServiceIsTheKeyDined on 8/15/2014Was so looking forward to a new Cohn's restaurant right in La Mesa. Sorely disappointed. The food wasn't fantastic (my dish anyway - the mac n cheese with a fancy name), although the brussels sprout appetizer was delicious. The service was the main drawback. Server was very friendly, but very inattentive. Never refilled water, never asked if we needed anything, no follow up whatsoever. The menu is close to obnoxious. For pretty basic food, you need to ask the server for translations for practically everything! I'm a major fan of most all Cohn restaurants, but probably will skip this one from now on.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I had reservations for the garden and we were seated immediately. Good. Our server was wonderful as the brew she brought didn't taste right so she brought me a different kind. Great. We had been dealing with the flies and it was even worse when our food arrived. Not good. I totally understand that eating outside could bring that situation, but restaurants need to find a solution. So unappetizing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bawbsocalDined on 8/13/2014I was impressed with the service and the food. Portions were reasonable, food was fresh, and the presentation was appetizing. Our waiter was very attentive and took time to go over the menu with us. Wished we had sat out on the patio, our table for two was fine but we were seated next to a table seating 6 (with 2 small kids). This location appears to be a busy local hangout, there were a number of larger groups with kids. If you prefer a quieter experience our waiter suggested coming in around 7 pm or later. Next time we will opt for the patio if the weather is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlpinerDined on 8/12/2014Always excellent service and interesting food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't recommendbeckeySDVIPDined on 8/10/2014Bo-Beau has a short menu & you're in luck if you enjoy various parts of the pig because that is the restaurant's focus. Two in our party ordered the pork shank & were very pleased. Said it was incredibly flavorful. Bf liked his French onion soup. The parm fries that came with his ribs were thin, crispy & delicious. That's where the good ends. Most of the menu consists of pork. The brussell sprout app is covered w/ bacon & the ribs are pork. Bf really didn't care for the ribs (said they were dry, etc) My salmon was fresh but lonely, it came w/ one tiny diced fingerling potato underneath. If you order lots of appetizers to fill up & like pig you may be in luck here. Servers were nice but the service was painfully slow & chairs uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Ladies night outKristiODined on 8/8/2014First time at BoBeaus for all 3 of us - we made reservations same day (on-line since they don't open until 4:30). They were nice enough to get us in 20 min before our time (we sat at the bar waiting). Sat outside, nice cool eve, a bit noisy, but nice service. Had the famed roasted brussel sprouts and bruschetta for appetizers. I prefer my roasted veggies a bit less charred, but they were tasty. Bruschetta was a mushroom based pesto bread, so don't expect the usual tomato based dish - was tasty! Flat bread entree ok, but friends had the duck with gnocchi- outstanding, and another had a salad with steak- outstanding meat. We'll be back to try the many diff things - making reservations ahead of time to get an earlier seating!Special Features:
- ALWAYS GREAT!!!Luv2dineoutDined on 8/8/2014WE LIVE IN THE AREA AND LOVE THAT FINALLY WE HAVE A GREAT RESTAURANT IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bo Beau's dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014My wife and I sat outside on a beautiful evening. the cocktail selection was good. One of the meals, the duck special, was very good but Fish of the day special was completely overcooked and disappointing. Our two coffees were served Cold and had been sitting too long, we had to wait 10 minutes for a new cup. When are desserts arrived, one of them was incorrect and the waitress argued with us and made a big deal about exchanging it, so we accepted it. We have been to many other Cohn restaurants and have been very satisfied so this was a disappointing experience.
- Finally a good fit restaurantPatsyDined on 8/7/2014I asked for patio dining and I got it. The menu choices was not too big just right. The wine price range was great. The food was ever so delicious. All four of us had different choices and they were ALL good. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- enjoyable momentluvttwodineDined on 8/7/2014Invited friends to share our 1st time there. Had a great experience with your menu selections. All very good. Sevice and atmosphere are top notch. We'll all definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place!love4foodDined on 8/5/2014Food is great, comfortable atmosphere and reasonable prices, who could ask for more.Special Features:
- NOT SPECIALLoveParisDined on 8/3/2014IF Our reservation had been honored without trying to seat us in Siberia Our server showed up to take our drink and then food orders without us having to ask for her Our food arrived in a timely manner, took over 45 min to get our meals Management had a nicer attitude, snapped at my husband when he stated we had been waiting 45 min for our food - NO, she said it has ONLY been 30 min. And then it took another 15 min, 45 min in total. The quality of the food equaled the cost per serving, you know the price is right when you dont really care what it cost There were not running, screaming children and dogs in our dining area when our table of 4 is spending almost $200, dont know of another restaurant that has this set up.
- Cool looking place but food notGodfatherFerretDined on 8/3/2014The restaurant itself is really cool and the service was top notch but the food for the price was not good. I got the steak and eggs for brunch and I was very disappointed. The steak was over seasoned. Way to much salt!!! The hashbrowns were soggy in the middle. I tried the flatbread pizza too and that was salty and not very good. Overall I would give my meal 3 out of 10 only because presentation was good, too bad the food wasn't.
- Bad dayclmeryDined on 8/2/2014We made a reservation several days in advance, but they gave our table away and sat us in the bar, which is specifically where we did not want to be (that's why we made a reservation). So we we're squished between 2 tables, and had the hump to deal with (very uncomfortable) as well as the high noise level at the bar. I asked for the appetizer to be my side, but instead they brought it out as an appetizer and never brought our food out. After an hour+ we asked if our food was coming and they told us they were waiting until we finished with our appetizer!!! The server rolled her eyes at me at one point but the manager was nice. Still didn't help us but at least she was nice. The food was good. My last visit was great, this one NOT!Special Features: