1701 Strand Way
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://1887onthebay.com/
- Phone: (619) 435-0155
- Hours of Operation:
Crew's Lounge opens daily at 3:00pm
The Dining Room opens daily at 5:00pm
Happy Hour is in the Crew's Lounge Monday through Friday from 3:00pm till 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The 1887 on the Bay gives it guest the chance to dine in history, while enjoying award winning steaks and fresh seafood on our bayside patios or breath taking window tables. Enjoy the gorgeous views of the Gloretta Bay, Coronado Bridge and Down Town Skyline from our 4 private dining areas that accommodate groups of 15 to 300 people. With ample parking, customized menu options, and amazing views; we are the perfect location for your banquet needs. Please call 619-435-0155 for banquet / large party information.
- Entertainment: Live Music every Thursday night, Music starts at 6:00pm till 9:00pm.
- Special Events: Please contact the restaurant directly for all special events information.
A word from Bluewater Boathouse
A California historical icon, the restaurant 1887 on the Bay is now San Diego's premier destination for coastal dining. Standing directly over the sparkling waters of Glorietta Bay, diners are offered an unrivaled panoramic view of the harbor while they dine on our bayside patios or breathe taking window tables. Bluewater Boathouse has gained the reputation as the best’s steak house on the island; but they are also famous for the fresh seafood that is flown in daily from Hawaii and the East Coast. 1887 on the Bay may be reached by water taxi, the Coronado Bay bridge or via the Silver Strand. The restaurant Crew's Lounge opens daily at 3:00pm and the dining room opens daily at 5:00pm. The restaurants 4 private banquet rooms are available for day or evening banquets including rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions and corporate events and military functions. With two dining rooms, two patios, and a mouth watering menu, it’s hard to beat the 1887 on the Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bluewater Boathouse reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (77)great for outdoor dining (62)special occasion (39)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (32)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- New owners, cleaner look, noisyhowelnDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to this location for about 5yrs now. They have made a number of improvements. updated, cleaner look. The menu is updated, and mostly a seafood restaurant....not that it wasn't before, but few other options now. More FYI than anything. The place is a bit noisier than before, also more people, and we did go later than usual. Service was great (more servers than before), which while the service was great before, the increase helps with the added attendance. Food was well prepared, they only serve SUSTAINABLE seafood +++++, and some selections I have not seen before, like the Sand Dabs my wife had. Very mild fish, something for those that don't like that fishy taste like me - I would actually eat these.Special Features:
- Terrible foodNotthatgreatDined on 8/9/2014I found your food to be awful. I ordered chicken (which looked like it was from Costco) and my husband orderd the catch of the day... Which was not a catch of day which it was awfully dry. Our waiter was great though
- Outstanding eveningNeillibDined on 8/8/2014I thoroughly enjoyed our entire evening and meal service was very good the food was very good and the whole evening as a whole was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly goodAnneVIPDined on 8/8/2014The wedge salad is wonderful. Crisp greens with good quality blue cheese and bacon. I had the maple salmon on a plank. Perfectly cooked and succulent. Good sides: asparagus and broccolini. My husband had the halibut which was overcooked and dry. I've had the scalloped potatoes here on another occasion and they need some work. Very bland and served only lukewarm. All foods should come HOT! Good ambience. Sit closer to the windows. The inside area near the cook station is extremely LOUD. Hard to have a conversation. Staff is professional and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Great Dinner Experience as PromisedGMBBRKVIPDined on 8/7/2014I ordered the cedar plank on the advice of our server Danny. The salmon was overdone, and he handled it immediately. The difference between the first and second plate of salmon was like night and day. He was right - it was excellent. The manager also sent us a dessert to share for the inconvenience (everyone else was done eating by the time I got my replacement salmon). All in all, the new place is beautiful and our server very friendly and attentive. Ask for Danny's station! We were first seated inside and the chairs felt awkward for the table (chairs were too low). We wanted to sit outside anyway and a table was available on the patio, so we were easily moved to the outside table.Special Features:
- Up & Coming!Foodlover1VIPDined on 8/7/2014Under the new operators they still need to find their "sea legs". Nice setting and good service, but "little things" not yet under control: sweeper left in dining area; spinach juice soaked house made chips served on same dish; Luke-warm coffee at end of meal. Potential is on the horizon but hasn't arrived yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just oknamibDined on 8/3/2014my husband enjoyed the fisherman's platter but thought the coleslaw was overwhelmed by the parsley in it. I had the halibut of that with scalloped potatoes and seasonal vegetables. I felt The scalloped potatoes were too garlicky for me and the seasonal vegetables were a little on the cold side and did not care for the herbs in it.Special Features:
- Excellent from start to finishIvanSchmetterlingDined on 8/2/2014I took my husband here for his birthday and was hoping for the best...which is just what we got. He had ahi poke to start followed by the cioppino, which was filled with crabmeat, shrimp, and fish in a deliciously spiced broth. I had oysters--the freshest and sweetest--and New England clam chowder which was creamy and flavorful. I followed that with the porcini dusted scallops with mushrooms. Oh my. Such a unique combination of the earthy mushrooms and sweet scallops. Delicious! Oh! and the gin martini with gorgonzola-stuffed olives was perfect! And we're martini snobs. We highly recommend Blue Water and will be returning with friends.Special Features:
- Miss The Old Boat House!!!CARLITO100Dined on 8/1/2014This place has lost its charm, from no tablecloths, the wait staff in jeans, and the cheap plastic LED table lamps. We used to go here for special occasions because the location is fantastic and the food was outstanding. The parmesan-crusted halibut is something that will be missed, and this coming from a non-fish eater. Under this new management the main dishes taste like frozen fast food preparation and were bland-tasting, from the soup appetizer to mud pie dessert. The menu is limited. Don’t ask for soup of the day or cappuccino, because there isn’t any. If it weren’t for the great location and view, this place would get zero stars. Why pay $30 for fast food? We won’t be gong back.
- Wonderful anniversary dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Our group of 7 went to the Bluewater Boathouse to celebrate our wedding anniversary while in Coronado for vacation. The food was great (especially loved their seared scallop appetizer!). The wine list had a nice selection of decently-priced bottles. Service was perfect. Will definitely go back to this restaurant during our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location... restaurant is okayJodyjaiDined on 7/30/2014We loved "1887 on the Bay" but I was not so impressed with the new Bluewater Boathouse. The food and service was average... not great as was 1887. The only reason I would recommend is because of the location, but not for the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 103 reviews are from the Bluewater Boathouse reviews archive.
- LVMummyVIPDined on 7/28/20143 of 4 dinners great. Salmon overlooked but they sent a mud pie comped as a make up. Service good - view wonderful. Location terrific.Special Features:
- It's OkdinnermojoDined on 7/27/2014For a restaurant under new ownership, it didn't wow me and there were plenty empty seats for 8pm. The investment in remodeling the dining area is well worth it, lovely new decor. Nice view, nice outdoor seating area. Overall, the food is "Ok". Food: They were out of Ahi which I had looked forward to. Ambience: There was no music playing or if there was it was so low it couldn't be heard. Service: Slower than it used to be but picked up as the evening went on. Lighting: either too dark or too bright, kept adjusting lights.Special Features:
- Great viewBobTVIPDined on 7/27/2014The snapper was very good as was the sampler plate. The ahi was seared to perfection but needed some type of sauce. The talapia with capers was a little on the dry side and came without capers. The service was very good. The restaurant's location is on the water and adds much to a diner's enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodkniz4Dined on 7/27/2014My husband and I went their for Sunday lunch. It wasn't packed and yet it had great food. Great find!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatesbalikestoeatDined on 7/25/2014Good Food, delicous Fish,good service nice view good atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mojitoDined on 7/25/2014just opened. fish was fresh and well prepared. still working out some service but generally a nice evening. Sat in the downstairs bar section between kitchen and main dining and it was very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loudLovediningoutDined on 7/25/2014The food here was fine - nothing great, nothing terrible - but the noise level was unbearably loud making it almost impossible to carry on a conversation with others at the table. That alone keeps me from recommending or returning to this restaurant.
- Boathouse CoronadomjsailingDined on 7/24/2014While not a spectacular 5-star restaurant, this was a solid place. The food was good, the fish fresh, reasonable service and price. It is a family dining place. It will be romantic as well so long as you do not require a cozy quiet or intimate table. Decor was boathouse, but fresh,nit dated even though the building is over 100 years old. Nice place...Special Features:
- Excellent fishOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/23/2014We have eaten here twice. The violin no was terrific as well as the cedar plank salmon. The New England clam chowder was reminiscent if a fine boston restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View,Great FoodArtgeniusDined on 7/23/2014My husband and I wanted a nice dinner together,and this place was perfect! We shared a grilled artichoke with an amazing pesto sauce,followed by fresh grilled ahi. We had it with sauted spinach and homemade potato chips. It was just the right amount of food. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Just OkayPennimVIPDined on 7/22/2014Crab cakes were very good, but were barely warm. Told our waitress who said she would tell the chef, but nothing else. Mahi was good, fresh but pretty bland. Our waitress brought us some sauce which was tasty and helped to make the dish more flavorful. Key lime pie, despite our waitress's raving was good, not great. Otherwise, extremely noisy, and we felt a bit rushed. Probably won't be going back when we return to Coronado in August.
- Bluewater BoathouseSoCal56Dined on 7/21/2014My napkin had black stains on it, as did the napkin in the bread basket!!! Tried the signature margarita which ended up being terrible. It was supposed to have fresh lime juice and orange juice and Contreau of which it did not, it tasted just like a mix that comes in a bottle. My husbands Mai Tai was terrible too. We ordered a dozen raw oysters - mistake! They did not taste that great and one was bad! Horrible smell. After that things got better :) Our entrees were very nice. I had the prawn and scallop skewer - very fresh tasty and I love my sides of cole slaw and sauteed zucchini and squash. Our table also ordered an artichoke appetizer which they loved. Would come back to try it one more time.Special Features:
- LVMummyVIPDined on 7/19/2014My scallops were very gritty but they apologized & took them off the bill. Couldn't ask for more than that. Have eaten here often & it's a great new neighbor!Special Features:
- Will be back when furniture arrivesMmmmVIPDined on 7/17/2014Dined indoors but sun at 630 was hitting us in eyes with no way to cover window. Server was quite nice...brought us scotch tape to try to cover window with menu taped on to help shade. Also, table height very high...not proportioned to chair height...server said that would be remedied when correct chairs which were ordered arrive. Scallop sashimi appetizer was super! Cioppino was delicious. Others in our party had large salad with chicken. They said it was good.
- Bluewater Boathouse CoronadofinedinerDined on 7/16/2014Coronado's little gem, situated on the water with a view of the San Diego bay. New management now, and the menu did not disappoint. Quaint spot with an upstairs for happy hour and live music on certain nights. Service was great! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bjofpbDined on 7/11/2014Outstanding service. Dan, our waiter was the best. Good good and great locationSpecial Features:
- Great mealStevieVIPDined on 7/10/2014Bluewater Boathouse is a great addition to Coronado. Great seafood menu. Dine on the patio and ask to have Danny serve you.Special Features:
- We really wanted to like it, but...Terriwith2arfsVIPDined on 7/7/2014So disappointed! We just tried out the new Bluewater Boathouse. As local yokels, we were occasional customers during it's previous incarnation. The prices were definitely less expensive, however, the quality of food presented was not acceptable. I ordered the crab & avocado salad which was just OK - the crab was a little fishy & there was virtually no dressing. Just a hassle to call a waiter to order more dressing. My dinner was just... ugly. The green rice was hard and dry, the planked salmon had no char, no flavor to the glaze & my veggies were almost cold & raw (after steaming). The menu stated they were to be grilled. Husband's sand dabs were OK - the coleslaw good & the potatoes were luke warm but had flavor. I doubt we'll be back.
- Romantic, Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014My husband and I visited the Boathouse on our honeymoon to celebrate and it was wonderful. The Boathouse is one of the best restaurants remodels I have seen - lovely white woodwork, interesting photos of what the building used to look like. Very classic. Looking out onto the bay and boats was fun and romantic. The food is delicious - we went less than a week after opening and there were a few tiny kinks but nothing major (my husband's steak was slightly over-cooked but still tasty, and the waiter offered a beer on the house as an apology). I ordered the cedar plank salmon - delicious. The glaze was just enough and incredibly flavorful. Give it a try!Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Daniel is the best server. I have been to many other Bluewater locations, this one is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014a great view of the bay from the patio and the food was excellent. the mahi was very fresh and moist. the scallop potatoes i could eat all day but we did save room for dessert and we had two that were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible on every level.FooderDined on 6/28/2014Worst service I have ever had. Dinner ended up taking two hours. Salad was decent but main course was not good. Very poor quality for the price. Space was very noisy too. It was there first week so hopefully they will improve.
- Good food, a little slowboldsirbrianVIPDined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed our meal, which we had sitting outside. We both ate fish and were very satisfied with our choices. The service was little on the slow side, but the waitress who looked after us did her best to keep us informed and it wasn't the end of the world. We loved the outside area, which has heaters if needed and will definitely return.Special Features:
- new ownershipOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014Good food and service... However, it is closed as of June 1st for a change in ownership and will reopen under a different name in July. Hope the food is just as goodSpecial Features:
- Had a fantastic meal on ourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/18/2013Had a fantastic meal on our last night in Coronado - would certainly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experience. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Very nice experience. Very crowded because of the holiday, however service was extremely good, as was the food.
- A fun restaurant with goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2012A fun restaurant with good happy hour appetizers and a band on Thursdays.Special Features:
- This was an odd place. OurTravellerVIPDined on 8/5/2012This was an odd place. Our waiter was kind of different and too soft spoken to hear. The food was average, but the atmosphere was great for families.Special Features:
- Mixed openionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2011The place is good but with the restaurant week menu options it wasnt that good I prefer if I have ordered from the regular menu, the clam chowdar was salty but tasty (i love salty taste) The salamon was sweet like candy ,but the cocconut shrimp was great, loved the calamarySpecial Features: