1701 Strand Way
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://1887onthebay.com/
- Phone: (619) 435-0155
- Hours of Operation:
Crew's Lounge opens daily at 3:00pm
The Dining Room opens daily at 5:00pm
Happy Hour is in the Crew's Lounge Monday through Friday from 3:00pm till 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The 1887 on the Bay gives it guest the chance to dine in history, while enjoying award winning steaks and fresh seafood on our bayside patios or breath taking window tables. Enjoy the gorgeous views of the Gloretta Bay, Coronado Bridge and Down Town Skyline from our 4 private dining areas that accommodate groups of 15 to 300 people. With ample parking, customized menu options, and amazing views; we are the perfect location for your banquet needs. Please call 619-435-0155 for banquet / large party information.
- Entertainment: Live Music every Thursday night, Music starts at 6:00pm till 9:00pm.
- Special Events: Please contact the restaurant directly for all special events information.
A word from Bluewater Boathouse
A California historical icon, the restaurant 1887 on the Bay is now San Diego's premier destination for coastal dining. Standing directly over the sparkling waters of Glorietta Bay, diners are offered an unrivaled panoramic view of the harbor while they dine on our bayside patios or breathe taking window tables. Bluewater Boathouse has gained the reputation as the best’s steak house on the island; but they are also famous for the fresh seafood that is flown in daily from Hawaii and the East Coast. 1887 on the Bay may be reached by water taxi, the Coronado Bay bridge or via the Silver Strand. The restaurant Crew's Lounge opens daily at 3:00pm and the dining room opens daily at 5:00pm. The restaurants 4 private banquet rooms are available for day or evening banquets including rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions and corporate events and military functions. With two dining rooms, two patios, and a mouth watering menu, it’s hard to beat the 1887 on the Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bluewater Boathouse reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (85)great for outdoor dining (68)special occasion (41)neighborhood gem (40)romantic (33)good for groups (29)fit for foodies (26)great for lunch (16)kid-friendly (12)notable wine list (9)hot spot (8)great for brunch (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- UnderstaffedphoodieDined on 11/17/2014Service: They are way under staffed - at least outside where we dined. Our server was very nice and did the best he could. Unfortunately, he's a victim of either poor management and/or a low budget. We waited several minutes before we even spoke to our waiter, and probably at least another 10 minutes before we were served drinks. They did make up for it though during the rest of our visit with much faster service for our food. Food quality: The food was kind of bland, but the seafood was cooked well and was quite fresh. View/ambiance: Great view and very romantic. Overall: If they spice up their food a bit and get better coverage for staff, then this would be a much better rating. Keep in mind, our visit was in November on a Monday night - not exactly high tourism time. So, that could be the reason for the short staff, and understandably so. Coronado businesses rely heavily on tourism business I would assume, so on down times they probably struggle.Special Features:
- s2artrVIPDined on 11/11/2014Large selection of fresh seafood. Service was excellent. Portions were generous. Great clam chowder. Beautiful location. Brightly lit and not what I would consider fine dining but more casual and family oriented. On arrival I noticed that the resaturant was very noisy but as the crowd thinned it was more tolerable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2014Being a long time diner at the old Coronado Boathouse was always a great experience for special occasions and good food. Unfortunately the dining experience at the new Bluewater Boathouse was not nearly the same. The food just didn't have the same great taste and the quality of service was not as good. Appetizers and the main meal were ordered at the same time but the salad and soup came first and then appetizers came much later. By then the appeal for appetizers was gone. Not what I would expect from a relatively expensive restaurant.
- Visit on 11/6OceanfoxDined on 11/6/2014Lobster was not cooked as expected...butter sauce was watery! Steak was tough should have been a better selection of steaks..bring back the old waiters and cooks! Hear it was new ownership, bring back the old restrauant as it was. Not worth the money paid.Special Features:
- Expensive Food, Poor QualityBoathouseRegularVIPDined on 11/2/2014The lobster roll had a very large piece of bread. Way to much bread, and not much lobster. We had to ask for muser with the burger, and the waiter took a long time to come by our table once he left our food. He also didn't ask if there was anything else we needed once the food was brought. The boat house has turned into a tourist trap, a place where visitors will eat once and not return to. Locals won't go back, or at least not to order things like the overpriced lobster roll with way to much bread.Special Features:
- Great water views!LuluDined on 10/30/2014Great location on Coronado Island. It is known for steaks and seafood both. We started with oysters on the half shell which were fresh and perfectly served. The seafood entrees were wonderful -- San Francisco Cioppino and Rock Lobster were both outstanding. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Perfect casual spotJakeDined on 10/30/2014Delicious food excellent service! A wonderful environment for friends and family to gather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LVMummyVIPDined on 10/28/2014Was a quiet night in a tourist town- non season but the place is packed & jumping usually.Special Features:
- closetfoodieDined on 10/17/2014We had a leisurely dinner in their outside dining area. Excellent service. Delightful atmosphere. Generous drinks. Delicicious food. Amazing mud pie. I would definitely go back for more! Truly a value. A lovely way to start our San Diego stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FishJohnVIPDined on 10/11/2014My Wife and I were visiting San Francisco and thought we would eat on the water. The fish was outstanding and our server was very helpful in helping us figure out how we should have it cooked. So many choices for the fish and how to prepare it. Glad we chose this restaurant.Special Features:
- dry halibutbjofpbDined on 10/3/2014The halibut was dry and not as good as usual. All the other entrees were very good. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Dont miss the scallop appetizer! The sand dabs were something unique to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAmp2Dined on 9/26/2014When we got there, we were seated promptly. We sat in our table for a while before we were greeted. The whole staff looked rush and stressed, everybody was running around. Even though it was not a good sign, we still decided to stay. Our server was very nice, but he looked very busy. We decided to order the restaurant week menu. Our first course was the clam chowder, it was very runny. Someone brought us bread, that was very good. For our second course we wanted the NY steak, since they ran out we were upgraded to the filet for free. My husband ordered his med and it came out well done and extremely dry my steak was also dry. The scallop potatoes were very runny. The spinach was very good. Mudpie was melted and did not taste good.Special Features:
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014We took four friends to dinner on a Friday. Excellent food and service. great location,easy parking and on the waterSpecial Features:
- Bad waitressFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Everything went well until the end, our waitress made some sly comments about our outfits mismatching and rolled her eyes as she told this to the hostess, right in front of me! We left a great tip, too, before all this happened.Special Features:
- Lovely dining spot...GailMarieDined on 9/24/2014Dining here was such a nice change... no parking hassles, great location, terrific menu choices, quiet, adult ambiance; a very enjoyable evening. Went for Restaurant Week, but will be back to try some other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Great PlaceihightowDined on 9/22/2014I had been wanting to return to this place because I remember it from it's former name, but could not find that restaurant for Restaurant Week. Then I found out it was Bluewater Boathouse. Went ahead to give it a try and since I always loved the location and views. It's really still a lovely place to come for a beautiful meal. Had the clam chowder which was very good - I'm really picky, and the swordfish which was also very good. The best part was dessert - lava cake. Just like Jon Favreau says in the movie Chef - it's well prepared and so yummy. Surprisingly not too sweet. I would return again.Special Features:
- Food was OKFlyfisherVIPDined on 9/21/2014Our food was OK, but it was not great by any means. One issue that I think would be easy to take care of was the Mud Pie. It had way too many nuts and not enough coffee ice cream.
- ConversationNoisy2Dined on 9/19/2014I went for lunch and could not carry on a conversation due to the noise level.. The music was very loud and it was obviously picked by the staff. The music in restaurants should only be instrumental so people can carry on conversations. Unless it is a party, the music should be chosen carefully. Table cloths also help with the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice changenadojanDined on 9/18/2014We have been going to "this" restaurant for years...as it has changed hands a few time. This time it could be a keeper...food was fresh...steamed clams a good choice...seared scallops were good as was the Cioppino. Will have to go back a few more times to try other choices...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!USMCAviatorDinerDined on 9/14/2014We were 15 minutes late for our reservation, but no problem. Seated at a beautiful sound side window seat with a great view. Service by Jimmy was outstanding. Seafood, appetizer, and desert all served promptly and with panache. Prices very reasonable for location. Will look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Must go for CoronadofoodieDined on 9/12/2014Seated at the beautiful outdoor heated patio overlooking the ocean. Short wait on a Friday night. Pleasantly surprised by the food - although not comparable to the freshest catch from Santa Barbara, the seafood we ordered was made to perfection. the price makes it affordable for its quality. just love it!Special Features:
- unclepaul2unclepaul2VIPDined on 9/12/2014Venue is great. Food was fresh and well prepared. Servers were very attentive and helpful with menu items. Also, very dog friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grant53ERDined on 9/9/2014We good had an exceptionally nice experience. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotJamboVIPDined on 9/6/2014Well prepared fresh fish. really fun spot for a casual hangout. We live across the way and always enjoy the walk along the docks to/from dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmVIPDined on 9/6/2014Chicken under a brick was moist flavorful and a nice addition to the fish oriented menu!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find!DaveVIPDined on 9/6/2014We never would have found Bluewater Boathouse without Open Table. Quaint, historic with amazing food. Waitress recommend the evening's special halibut - local fish, very mild, topped with macadamia nuts and micro greens. Lightly steamed veggies on the side - yum. Our friend had shrimp and scallops and appreciated both. Save room for dessert - Key Lime pie as good as in Key West FL - rare find. Totally recommend! Save some time to walk the dock in the area and learn about Tent City, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for seafood and date.mateo2006Dined on 9/5/2014First time there for a date with my wife and will definitely be going back. Great ambiance, classy enough for a good date but casual enough to where it isn't stuffy or pretentious. Food is great too as well as the beer and wine list. Perhaps a bit pricy for the food but based on location alone, it's well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerFoodieDined on 9/2/2014An unexpected date night turned into a wonderful evening out in Coronado. The food was excellent, great presentation and the Whith Chocolate Mud Pie was fantastic. We will definitely return and recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- The JacksTheJacksDined on 9/1/2014Loved Caesar with Kale and bouillabaisse. Husband had sand dabs with green rice - unusual. All well priced. Waiter-Jimmy A- was very knowledgeable and attentive- good continuity for loyal clientele. Under new ownership focused on sustainable seafood and well priced. Mentioned booking at Open Table when arrived - not noted so I received a No Show inquiry next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SunsetNeighborDined on 8/24/2014We watched the sky turn orange from the outdoor dining table at the restaurant. Served by Jimmy who was assisted by Danny, we thoroughly enjoyed the incredible attention throughout the evening. The calamari and Romano-crusted snapper were wonderful--perfectly prepared. It was the perfect conclusion to the first day of our Coronado vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much ImprovednewfavoriteplaceDined on 8/22/2014I have dined at this establishment numerous times since 1976. I have enjoyed some of my best meals ever when it was the Chart House. I was a little disappointed when 1887 Boathouse increased prices but did not provide the same level of quality cuisine nor service. The meal that we enjoyed on Friday was outstanding. Everything was cooked to perfection, the service was spot on and the view and ambiance was, well, come one do I really need to say it? I would highly recommend Bluewater Boathouse & I will definitely return for another fine meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoiseLAguyVIPDined on 8/19/2014We left immediately without even sitting down due to the excessive noise inside. There were no tables available outside.Special Features:
- Bluewater in Nado!EastVillageDined on 8/16/2014Great historic location with clean views / people. Fish was a bit dry and overcooked - but we'll prob give it another try as everything else was great. Looking forward to going back after the summer crowd. Easy parking, no vagrants or drunks hanging to haggle you while dining outside. Welcome to Coronado!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedBethVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful lunch at Bluewater Boathouse. I have come to this restaurant for many years under different names and owners and had never been that impressed. We had friends staying in town and this was the perfect location so I decided to try the Boathouse again. Our meal from start to finish was excellent. We had a great table/view, wonderful service and the food was delicious, very fresh seafood and produce. I had made a reservation for 4 but there were actually 5 of us, which they happily accommodated and everyone thoroughly enjoyed what they ordered. I will definitely be back next time I am in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BluewaterOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/15/2014This is the second time that we have eaten at this restaurant since it changed ownership. Our last experience was fantastic! This time, however, was a little different. Our service was a bit slow. I ordered the cioppino and it was very good. The oysters we had for appetizers were excellent. However, my wife's Sand Dabs were quite "pasty" tasting. This may have just been an off night, but we thought the experience we had was not as good as the first time we ate here. We will be back to give it another chance.Special Features:
- Great placeAmirDined on 8/9/2014Mainly a sea food place with a great view. Friendly staff & good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fresh fishJockyMcSporanDined on 8/9/2014They are still ironing out some things - we had to sit on chairs that were too low for the table - but given that, the food was very good (I had the Ahi Tuna which was melt in the mouth), wine is reasonably priced and the service is friendly. Next time I am in San Diego I will be going back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- New owners, cleaner look, noisyhowelnDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to this location for about 5yrs now. They have made a number of improvements. updated, cleaner look. The menu is updated, and mostly a seafood restaurant....not that it wasn't before, but few other options now. More FYI than anything. The place is a bit noisier than before, also more people, and we did go later than usual. Service was great (more servers than before), which while the service was great before, the increase helps with the added attendance. Food was well prepared, they only serve SUSTAINABLE seafood +++++, and some selections I have not seen before, like the Sand Dabs my wife had. Very mild fish, something for those that don't like that fishy taste like me - I would actually eat these.Special Features:
- Terrible foodNotthatgreatDined on 8/9/2014I found your food to be awful. I ordered chicken (which looked like it was from Costco) and my husband orderd the catch of the day... Which was not a catch of day which it was awfully dry. Our waiter was great though