900 Westport Road
Kansas City, MO 64111Neighborhood:
39th St / Westport / Midtown
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bluestemkc.com/
- Phone: 8165611101x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Tuesday - Saturday from 5:00pm
Bar: Tuesday - Saturday 5pm-Midnight
Happy Hour: Tuesday-Friday 5-6:30pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am–2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Colby & Megan Garrelts
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: bluestem restaurant offers numerous possibilities - whether you like to entertain a select group of guests, host a large event throughout the entire restaurant or bring the bluestem experience to your home.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for catering information.
- Private Party Facilities: The bar at bluestem can accommodate up to 40 guests for a standing reception. The bar is also a perfect setting for your pre-dinner reception prior to a seated dinner within the dining room. The bar is a cozy space with comfortable banquet seating, small cocktail tables and seating throughout. The bluestem bar stretches the length the entire room, perfect for serving guests during the evening.
bluestem’s dining room seats up to 30 guests for an exclusive lunch or dinner party. The dining room at bluestem is perfect for an intimate gathering with walnut table tops, candlelight, and an open kitchen. May you wish to expand the use of the entire restaurant arrangements can be made for additional tables to be set-up in the bar to accommodate more guests for a seated dinner within both rooms. bluestem can accommodate 80 guests when arrangements are made in both the lounge and dining room for a seated event.
- Private Party Contact: Eric Willey or Megan Garrelts 816-561-1101x
- Special Events: Chefs Colby and Megan Garrelts will work closely with you to tailor an event according to your dining preferences and our seasonal menu selections. bluestem has several menu formats available for private events ranging from our hors d’ oeuvres selection and 3,5, or 10 course tasting menus. If you would like more information on event coordinating please contact Eric Willey, our general manager, by calling 816.561.1101 or writing to email@example.com. When requesting more information, please provide the following details so that we may better serve your private dining requests:
•Date of Desired Event
•Event or Occasion
•Number of Guests
•Any additional information regarding your event that may assist in event planning
A word from Bluestem
Welcome to Bluestem, where award winning Chef/Owners Colby & Megan Garrelts invite their guests an unforgettable culinary experience with an intimate dining room, exquisite cuisine & remarkable service. The unique menu features Progressive American cuisine & new varieties of American desserts. Bluestem strives to constantly evolve the menu making this restaurant one of the top restaurants in Kansas City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bluestem reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (105)fit for foodies (98)romantic (74)neighborhood gem (67)notable wine list (62)great for brunch (32)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (12)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not my old Bluestem.NanLongDined on 10/19/2014I hadn't been here since the remodel, and I must admit I was underwhelmed. The way the tables are arranged is hip and trendy, but not intimate or comfortable. The lounge has lost its wackiness in order to look stark and accomodate more customers. The service was imperfect (not bad, but I've come to expect more from Bluestem), the food so-so, and the wine ridiculously overpriced. I know, James Beard, etc, but come on. Sixteen dollar glasses of wine? Pffft. I'll go somewhere else next time for value and privacy. Sorry, I will miss you, Bluestem.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Bluestem exceeded our expectations for fine dining. Service was impeccableSpecial Features:
- Outstanding as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/17/2014Bluestem is our go to place for a special occasion. We can always count on stellar service, an inventive and delicious meal and a welcome atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in WestportOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Tasting style menu, offering 3, 5 or 10 courses selected by diner. Corresponding wine pairing offered as well. According to our waiter, 3 and 5 course options were larger in each portion size, compared to the 10 course, which would be the more traditional tasting sized portion. We went with the 5 course option and were certainly full by the end. Great selection of proteins - fish, steak, pork, chicken, and rabbit even. Great wines selected by the sommelier for the pairings.Special Features:
- Best Sunday Brunch in KCWalkingGormetDined on 10/5/2014For me an easy walk to a James Beard Award winning restaurant in Westport to have an affordable Sunday brunch. The fare is especially balanced and healthy if you want or traditional comfort food if you want. The bar is staffed with cheerful people who keep the mimosas flowing. With Bluestem, there is no need to eat poorly in KC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum, yum!JVitelaDined on 10/5/2014Have enjoyed dinner here before so I returned to check out brunch. Absolutely perfect. Exceptional food, exceptional service. Now my favorite restaurant in the area -- at night and the morning after.Special Features:
- Bluestem has my Back!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014I made reservations online and stated it was my wife's birthday. When we arrived, Bluestem had a huge birthday balloon to celebrate her birthday. My wife was so surprised and thought I was the best husband in the world!!! And the food was incredible!!! Thank you Bluestem for having my back!!! I can't wait to go back for a dinner date.Special Features:
- Finally. Food worthy of review.OnlyTheBestWillDoDined on 10/3/2014The food was fantastic and the service was even better. This is the fine dining experience we had been looking for in KC! 1. Don't dine here if you are looking for a value menu. This place is not inexpensive, so don't come with that expectation as this will completely ruin your experience. If you are a fine diner, then cost should not be an issue to you. The prices are on the web, so if in doubt, check there first. 2. Our dinner service moved as fast as we wanted it to. A great server knows how fast or slow you want your course's to come out without asking. We had the best service and the pace was exactly what I expected. Two hours for a 5 course meal. Don't come in a hurry, as this will ruin your experience as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we expectedpjpetitDined on 10/1/2014We knew Bluestem should be great and it didn't disappoint. The way the menu is set up so that you have limited choices for a 3, 5 or 10 course meal made it easy to order. The staff was laid back, but incredibly polite, friendly and professional. The wine pairing made the meal so much more enjoyable and is well worth the added cost. The sommelier was passionate and informative but approachable. We cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for the Foodie in YouLhornepoppDined on 9/23/2014Really delicious food that was almost too beautiful to eat... almost. The menu is prix fixe style where you have to order a minimum of three courses. That said, there's lots of flexibility in what you can choose. The presentation of the meal was terrific and our server really knew her stuff. The little bites they brought out between the courses was a nice surprise. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairings. Each ingredient on the plate was well-thought and flavorful. The presentation was as exquisite as the taste. The wine pairings, some of which were surprising, were perfect with the course. Service was attentive without being intrusive. Overall, we had a wonderful evening and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this experience to anyone.Special Features:
- Awesome anniversary dinnerLeftyDined on 9/20/2014We choose to reserve the Bluestem for special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, etc. And as always before, we weren't let down. The focaccia bread melted in our mouths. Both of our entrees were outstanding and desserts were like no where else! We ate everything put in front of us, and yet neither of us felt like we were stuffed. Kansas City is lucky to have the Bluestem.Special Features:
- The Best RestaurantSaltyFatDined on 9/14/2014Outstanding service from the moment you walk in to the time you leave. The staff was very gracious and service was seamless. The food was truly outstanding in all aspects. Prices are a steal compared to restaurants of this caliber. KC is very lucky to have bluestem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014We did brunch at Bluestem and everything was melt in your mouth. So fantastic! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSuburbstoCityDined on 9/13/2014Dinner here made my birthday extra special. The meal was creative and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- werpVIPDined on 9/10/2014Food and service have always been the best. Now, with the remodel it's as close to perfect as you can get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kansas City gemc9drinkerDined on 9/9/2014Thoughtful, sophisticated cooking, great knowledgeable service, as good a restaurant experience as one could want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchGregVIPDined on 9/7/2014We dined at Bluestem on Sept. 7 for brunch. I had the eggs Benedict and my wife had the French toast. Both were great. I recommend Bluestem for brunch!Special Features:
- Another wonderful nightmylychaDined on 9/6/2014We waited in the bar for our table. The remodel is gorgeous. We were seated next to the new open kitchen and Colby stopped by in person to ask how we were. Nice touch. The staff was warm and friendly... except maybe the sommelier who always seems a bit robotic. We had a 5 course with wine pairings. Each course seemed to get better than the last, but the star was the house made tortellini with pork and fried sage. Delish! Still on the expensive side at $349 with tip for two people. This makes it a special occasion only place for us, but we love our special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!kcrunner5Dined on 9/6/2014We went to Bluestem for a special occasion, wedding anniversary. We both chose the 5 course menu and loved everything. The food was delicious and service was amazing. One of the best meals we have had in Kansas City!Special Features:
- Tasty Bits2ClosetfolksDined on 9/6/2014For a 5 course meal selection with Pairings the servings are just the right size to indulge the pallet. If you are a foody this is the place for you to try. Amuse Bush and all kinds of additions were a delight. If you can't decide on wine--this is the best way to go. If you have a partner that will share a taste--even better. Chef Colby rocks, as well as the rest of the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of KCDaveDined on 9/5/2014Best dinner I've had all year. Everything was first rate. They offer a 3, 5 and 10 course meal, along with lots of special touches including a few delicious small bites here and there. Excellent wines by the glass by 3, 6 and 8 oz pours so you can get a small glass to match with a certain dish then change to another if another will better suit your next dish (your own wine pairing, if you choose not to go with theirs). So many tiny details that really set apart the creative and outstanding preparations. Not cheap but very well worth the value, which is why it is our favorite special occasion spot. Oh, and first time since the remodel, which was an improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time since the remodelingBruceTexasVIPDined on 8/30/2014Very open and inviting new layout. The food was excellent as always. This is our favorite place to eat in KC. We had the five course tasting menu and were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Well Done!wildwinnyDined on 8/30/2014This was our third visit to Bluestem and by far the best. Opening the kitchen area and updating the décor adds a degree of excitement to the meal. Two of our party of four chose wine pairing with and all of us choosing the 5 course menu. As such, we sampled all items save 3 of the desserts. Each item was superb, with excellent presentation and a wonderful and tasty combination of flavors. Wine pairings were perfect and were all also excellent. We will return soon!Special Features:
- totally mixedwantingtobefairbutDined on 8/29/2014We waited forty-five minutes, with reservation, to be seated at a table. while there were reasons for this (a previous group who wouldn't leave), it is really not acceptable, even with free drinks while waiting. eventually, another table was rigged up for us. this was supposed to be an anniversary dinner, but that didn't seem to register. the food was excellent all around, but how can the experience not be damaged by all this? we didn't feel like there was a real level of humanity here to match the standards of excellence
- Heart of Kansas City Culinary GemLive2EatCook2LiveDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I dined at bluestem Friday, August 29, 2014 and it was everything I knew it would be and more. Our plates were like amazingly colorful pieces of tasty artwork. I recommend the 5 course tasting menu with wine paring. One of my favorite features was having an open kitchen and being seated front and center to watch the culinary team work their magic. The front and back of house operate as a seamless well oiled machine. Every one of our needs were exceeded. The two downfalls of the evening were that it ended and the dining room is not a great place for large parties that are looking to drink heavily and be raucous. The intimacy is lost when one group of patrons is louder than the rest of the patrons in the dining room combined.Special Features:
- A must for KC!KCdinersDined on 8/28/2014Whether you choose the 3-. 5- or 10-course dining experience, you'll love the food. We both chose the 5-course with wine pairings so we could sample more of the chef 's offerings. It was all delicious. The wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!kcfoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Everything about our dinner was excellent -- the food, wine, presentation, service, atmosphere. One of the best meals we've had in years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentnighthawk779Dined on 8/22/2014we had the usual excellent meal nothing else needs to be saidSpecial Features:
- perfect food!ilikenicethingsDined on 8/22/2014The flavor combinations are exquisite! Almost a science! It was such a fun experience and the service was great! It's really pricey, so not really a "go to" spot, but for every once in a while special occasions its a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PopsOFGDined on 8/12/2014My wife and I celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary with their five course dinner. We each chose a different option and we're able to taste ten courses between us. Most of the items I were excellent. Only two were just good. The service was perfect--attentive, but not hovering. Wine list was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in KCFunFoodDined on 8/12/2014Food unparalleled, adventurous, unbelievably good combinations of flavors, great service--it's all good!Special Features:
- B-DayHondo2017Dined on 8/9/2014Wonderful food and service. We were able to watch the prepping of the courses. Well worth the experience. Would recommend to all but not for children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceDatenight2Dined on 8/9/2014Food and service top-notch, however while we thoroughly enjoyed our meal, ambience was average at best and prices too high to enjoy our night out. I am all for a great meal but it should not have to break the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved, loved, lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014My favorite dining experience in the last year or so, including some hot spots in Chicago. Hip and fun yet very serious food and wine. Also, cocktails off the hook--the gazpacho martini is the single most delish cocktail I've ever imbibed. Had the 3 course with wine pairing. Loved the open kitchen, all the servers, sommelier. And it feels cozy, intimate and as a guest you feel cherished. Not kidding. Will go back again and again. Worth every penny.Special Features:
- Superb againkadub53Dined on 8/8/2014We have never had anything bad here. Actually everything we've ever had was excellent. The creations are not only pleasing to our taste, but to the eye as well. The wine pairings were perfect as each one complemented the course perfectly. The team approach to serving provided just the right amount of attention without getting in our way of enjoying each other on our anniversary. We cannot say enough good things about our Bluestem experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible mealdinerddVIPDined on 8/2/2014Looked forward to coming here for a long time and was not disappointed! Went with friends to celebrate a birthday. Had a great meal. Three courses was just fine. We were in the early seating and apparently overstayed because we were offered a drink at the bar if we vacated our table since the party for the later seating was waiting! It is pricey but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Way too CasualMondialVIPDined on 8/2/2014They have taken what use to be a wonderful restaurant for special occasions to a rather casual run of the mill spot! Bar are looks nice. Service and presentations are still great. But some of our food was less than expected.
- Spending too much, the only option!DisappointedDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I realize what manner of restaurant we were attending and that portions and menu options are condensed in fine dining, to maintain a level of freshness and portrayal of the chefs vision. The severity in the lack of options however, was not usual, leaving the patron only 3 choices in price options with only 2 variations to even decide between as it pertains to the courses. The food was well prepared and plated nicely, for the most part (sometimes little amounts of food on huge plates, looks just as it sounds, not picturesque). The restaurant is decorated nicely but has no character in the main dining hall, to well lit and too close together. Way to expensive for the overall experience. $196 (tax & 20%) for 2 with no drinks.
- Great tasting menuRestaurantLoverVIPDined on 8/1/2014I had the five course tasting menu. It was a really well paced (~ 2 hours) explained and delicious meal. It commenced with a gazpacho that had an interesting "punch" to it, followed by four other well conceptualized, garnished, presented and explained plates. They were appropriately sized for a tasting menu and we left feeling satisfied but not stuffed. The service was great too and quite well coordinated considering how many logistics there are to a tasting menu (between the server/sommelier/etc.). My only negative comment would be that we waited for wine (just for a couple of minutes) after our dishes arrived a couple of times because the sommelier was at another table. I can't really see how this could have been avoided however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.