Blues City Cafe
138 Beale Street
Memphis, TN 38103Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Blues City Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluescitycafe.com/
- Phone: (901) 526-3637
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 5:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00am: Dinner Menu Only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Larry Crawford
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: If you"re looking for incredible food, outstanding service and world class entertainment, you're at the right place! Blues City Cafe offers both in house and off site catering and event planning. We accommodate groups of all sizes on site in our world famous restaurant, Cadillac Room and Band Box, or off site in one of our large catering facilities! Allow us to organize all of your personal and business events. We provide food, beverage, entertainment, tents, security, etc. If you can dream it, we can take care of it! Please contact Goose with all inquiries and requests at 901.526.3637
- Private Party Facilities: We have the ability and experience to professionally cater to the private needs of any size party up to 1000 people with the use of our different venues. We also have off-site options for parties larger than 1000. Just give us a call and we will get you set up with a once in a lifetime Memphis Style Dining Experience.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff "Goose" Goss 9015263637
- Cross Street: 2ND STREET
- Public Transit: Bus and Taxi pick up and drop off are done directly across the street from our front door along with a Trolley Stop about one block away.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have multiple parking lots and parking garages within a very short walking distance.
A word from Blues City Cafe
Enjoy the Best Meal on Beale at the Blues City Cafe in beautiful Memphis, Tennessee. The Blues City menu includes such favorites as our Famous BBQ Ribs, Southern Fried Catfish, Broiled Steaks, and the Worlds Best Homemade Tamales. Our friendly staff and world famous menu has drawn the attention of presidents and celebrities alike. We have been featured Nationally on The Travel Channel"s "A Taste of America", The Food Network's "Bobby Flay Show", Bon Apetit Magazine's "BBQ Issue" and HDNET's "Drinking Made Easy". Blues City also features nightly live entertainment in The Band Box. Everything from Rock-A-Billy with Hillbilly Casino and the Stunning Cunning Band, to Blues with Earl the Pearl, to a Sun Studio Revue with Gary Hardy and the Memphis2. Come on down to the Blues City Cafe and have a great meal and dance the night away on Beale Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blues City Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Ribs were very tasty. My friend stated they were a little fatty but good. I would eat there again. Definitely try the apple cobbler(FOR 2)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip to Memphis and Beale Street. A must!SoldiersAngelDined on 11/17/2014Fork tender ribs and outstanding catfish combo plate. Attentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Big, crowded and casual, but a good place for BBQ ribs without a heavy bar scene. Friendly, attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great funGordlooVIPDined on 10/30/2014This is a great place for ribs and music .We loved the riibs and the desert was terrific.Whole rack was big enough to share.Will definitely return next time we are in Memphis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blues City CafeOwnYourLifeDined on 10/23/2014This is truly a neighborhood gem! In the heart of Beale St. We had our first taste of Memphis Bar B Que Pork and Catfish. The food was delicous, the service was excellent. Our waiter recommended a local TN beer to go with our meal. It was delicous! There are three rooms in this restaurant. The room with the live music was loud and quite crowded. Everyone in there was there to have a good time and they were having a good time. We sat in the room away from the music. It was comfortable and we could hear the music but couldn't see it. We were able to enjoy conversation throughout the dinner. I would recommmend this restaurant as a place to try on your first trip to Memphis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent ribsBannyDined on 10/16/2014My wife and I had the smoked ribs that were absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beale Street ClassicDinearoundVIPDined on 10/14/2014We came here for classic Memphis dining experience before the traditional Beale Strret bar crawl. Vibe was great, but food was mixed. Steak was a little tough. Ribs and seafood were good, gumbo cheese fries were great. Overall, we were satisfied with the meal.Special Features:
- Great food - no noise.SteveDined on 9/25/2014Great way to eat to BBQ on Beale street without oppressively loud music overwhelming the conversation.Special Features:
- bbqfenton04Dined on 9/18/2014ribs were lip smackin good. loved the tamales we will dine there again on our next road trip.Special Features:
- Don't Go for The RibsMenehuneDined on 9/4/2014This is a poor tasting for what Memphis is famous. The ribs were dry. I've had better bbq sauce out of a bottle. I will say, the Texas toast and catfish were delish. Catfish has never been a favorite of mine. The one served here was very good. Now, I know why it's a staple on Southern menus.
- The following 44 reviews are from the Blues City Cafe reviews archive.
- Well worth the visitSoccerDadDined on 7/29/2014We were driving up from Dallas and stayed overnight in Memphis. We had a hotel near Biele street and Blues City Cafe is right on the corner, so great location. This and very good BBQ Place and has a really nice casual atmosphere. The ribs were tender and the fried chicken exceptional. The portions were a little smaller than in Texas. We sat in the Restaurant section which is well lit and on the corner but too far away from the Bar section to really hear the Band (who were very good). My suggestion would be to go into the Bar section and then order. It's more crowded but has more of why people are going to the Blues City Cafe. The beer was very good. Margarita's not as good but the extra shot of Tequila helped.Special Features:
- The food was excellent. Service oknola504girlDined on 7/17/2014I'm from New Orleans so to say the food was very tasty is saying a lot. The service could have been a little more friendlier. I think the waiter was a bit pre-occupied or not having a great day. We didn't have to wait long for our meal. The portions were more than enough. The hostess was very pleasant and helpful. There was live entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blues City Cafe RocksjandtcoxDined on 7/16/2014Right across from the Hard Rock Cafe in Memphis on Beale Street, the Blues City Cafe serves up some of the best food that the home of the blues offers. Choose an appetizer such as steak fries smothered in gumbo followed by BBQ ribs cooked to perfection so the meat falls right off the bones and enjoy the view of Beale Street while you eat. You'll need to walk it all off with a stroll down Memphis' famous block of blues fame! Don't forget to take home a bottle of the delicious BBQ sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ribs we found in MemphisMissMDined on 7/15/2014YUM!!! BEST ribs we ate while in Memphis and we tried a bunch! Our server was very friendly and attentive (and not too much) and congratulated us on cleaning our plates :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodjroushVIPDined on 7/11/2014The legend of ribs in Memphis and the ribs we had were legendary. The service was very good with our waitress was energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesKYdiner71VIPDined on 5/27/2014Everytime I go to Memphis I head to Blues City Cafe. Huge BBQ fan, I've had BBQ in Kansas City, NC, TX, all great. But this is my favorite. Had combo this time, adding catfish to half rack. Catfish was great too. Staff is incredibly friendly as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot on BealeDidoDined on 5/1/2014This cool restaurant has great food and fun atmosphere. Located at the end of Beale street, it has the feel of being in the middle of what is happening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazingOfficerLowe27Dined on 4/28/2014Food was good , waiter was ok, got the job done, and didn't bug you while you were eating! Food came out quick! Most amazing ribs I ever tasted! Restaurant is extremely dirty and could use a good cleaning ! Overall I would go back ! I was sent there by someone and I'll keep passing on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good, but could be betterFellowMemphianDined on 2/20/2014Overall, I gave a rating of "Good" because the food that my friends and I ordered food was tasty, came out quickly, and was correct. Only one person at the table didn't like her order - the tamales - because she said they were hard and tasted old. I'm not sure if they were, or if they just didn't "suit her fancy" but the server was gracious and replaced her meal promptly. We all ended up having fried catfish, fried chicken tenders, or rib platters and everyone seemed to enjoy their meals. Plus, the food prices were reasonable. However, I didn't give a higher rating because I thought the place was sort of grungy looking and could use some cleaning. I would not go out of my way to eat there again if I weren't already on Beale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great time at blues cityharoldDined on 2/6/2014We booked for a group of 16 on a saturday afternoon. We showed up with 18. No problem. Great service with a smile. No complaints from anyone. Every order was correct. Food was hot and tasted great. No long waits and nice folks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfect!foodiekerriDined on 1/24/2014We went to The Blues Cafe on a friend's recommendation and we LOVED it! We got a reservation and told them it was my mother's 70th birthday and when we arrived we had a FANTASTIC table right in the front window. The sausage and cheese platter is a must have if you are a first time Memphis visitor as we were and the pulled pork was delicious. The po boy was also fantastic. It is a MUST stop if you are going to Memphis for a visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun eveningRibeaterDined on 1/16/2014The dinning room was closed for an event, so we had seats at the bar. It was great, the bartender was fun to watch and very personable. They are known for their ribs, I now know why. They are the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve 2014Laura56Dined on 12/31/2013Had a group of 10 on New Year's Eve after the Liberty Bowl. Didn't expect a lot and were we surprised! Great food, great service! Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Was A MonsterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/27/2013We picked this restaurant before leaving the UK as I love T-Bone steak and it said you buy by the pound at 16 Dollars per pound,this I had to try.I can honestly say this is the best T-Bone I have ever had,and yes it was a monster! it was cooked perfectly by the Chef,The Cafe has a very warm vibrant atmosphere,pity the weather wasn't the same,I would certainly book again if I was to re-visit Memphis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot on Beale StNanaDined on 10/15/2013Ate at Blues City Cafe before a concert at the Fed Ex Arena. We enjoyed being able to eat & walk to the show. Great location! Courteous service in the midst of a rush crowd. Food was great. Not fancy, but really good! Cocktails to go, too. We loved it so much we stopped by late after the show for dessert. I'd recommend the apple dumpling!! Yum! Overall great experience! We had a child with us for dinner, & she enjoyed the food, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ribs Ribs RibsrockfarmersDined on 8/26/2013Best Rack of Ribs ever !!!! Absolutely Delicious ....Music in Bar was GreatSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Ribs and More!luluDined on 8/23/2013My family had a reunion in Memphis last weekend, and we ate a lunch and the next day a dinner here that was perfect. While the ribs are fall off the bone fantastic, don't overlook their other menu items. I loved the shrimp served in an iron skillet with just the right seasonings and garlic butter, with toast to soak up the sauce. Some of our group ordered steaks, ribeye and strip, and raved afterward how it "was the best steak they have had in a long time." Our server, Chris, made sure we had everything we needed. They accomodated our group with good seating and even a space for the one baby we had in the crowd. Loved it!!! Will definitely be back some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have had the barbequeLizMDined on 8/19/2013I do not typically eat pork as I do not like it. So, here I was in Memphis at a place known for the barque and I ordered the chicken instead. It was good, very good. My son and I were chatting with a couple next to us, and they said the barbeque was the best they ever had so I broke down and tried their last rib. OMG!!!! I loved it. I wish I had ordered it. We unfortunately could not go back the next night so I was out of luck. It was crisp, not at all fatty (which is always my fear about pork ribs).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a B-JB27Dined on 8/15/2013Pleasant down-home atmosphere and good service, but the food was slightly disappointing compared to reviews we'd seen. It was plentiful, but only about a B-. Neither of us are interested in going back.
- Great barbecue food with greatLindaDined on 7/23/2013Great barbecue food with great location on Beale Street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Catfish, EVERTrishiaKDined on 7/5/2013At the managers recommendation, my husband and I each ordered the catfish plate. WOW, was it a lot of food. I had catfish, steak fries, slaw and garlic toast. The fish was so good and the portions so large, I bailed on the fries, so I could enjoy the fish. I am not a tartar sauce lover, but the sauce is homemeade and excellent. The catfish is the best I have ever eaten. Loved that there was more fish than breading. Already recommended to a number of other tourists we met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious RibsExceptionalDined on 6/24/2013Had a superb meal whilst staying in Memphis, the ribs were fantastic and the service brilliant. Watching the food going to other tables was an eye opener as everything looked mouthwatering. We then moved to the bar to listen to the live band and spent the evening there drinking and having a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Blues CitydjkriegerVIPDined on 5/23/2013Had a group of four - great food, very busy at lunch.Special Features:
- High expectationsBuffyDined on 5/13/2013First time to memphis. Lots of great reviews about the blues city cafe, and the fact that we had to wait 3 days to get a reservation, made me think this was a really great place. Ribs were awesome, side dishes were tiny. Gumbo tasted good but was chuck full of fish bones - yikes! Didn't meet the, unrealistic, expectations. Don't get the gumbo - unless you're an alligator.
- ummm goodJoelVIPDined on 5/2/2013Best ribs and gumgo I had drung my 5 day stay in Memphis.Special Features:
- Food was absolutely fabulous.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2013Food was absolutely fabulous. Our server helped us in choosing our sides, but we mainly came for the ribs. It was a large portion to say the least. Will definitely go there again when in Memphis.Special Features:
- Typical tourist restaurant.2bthereVIPDined on 2/26/2013Typical tourist restaurant. Food average. Back room dining area adjacent to bar & music. They really try to hustle you off the street to come in. There are other places on Beale St to try.Special Features:
- I ate there twice in one day.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013I ate there twice in one day. Had ribs n fish gumbo.. awesome, then ate again after 6 hours of beale st.. can't remember but my buddy says cat fish was awesome as well. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Wish we had gone to RendezvousfreddyTDined on 2/13/2013We were disappointed by Blues City Cafe. The food was just OK and the service was efficient but not friendly.
- great live music with atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/4/2013great live music with atmosphere. I was hoping the ribs would be better than they were.Special Features: