1636 Old Deerfield RD
Highland Park, IL 60035Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluegrasshp.com/
- Phone: (847) 831-0595
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Brian Bishop
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We now cater for home, office or in our dining room, check out our website for current menu suggestions. www.bluegrasshp.com
- Private Party Facilities: We only open for private parties on Saturday and Sunday lunches. We do open for showers, weddings, anniversaries and any large group over 30 guests. Everything from a Brunch to Cocktails and appetizers.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Lederer 8478310595x
- Entertainment: The best Mardi Gras in Chicageaux!
- Special Events: Mardi Gras - Cinco de Mayo - BBQ Fest - Oktoberfest every year, three week celebration for each event, special wine/beer maker dinners to conclude the special menu...
- Cross Street: Richfield Road
- Public Transit: Chicago Northwestern line in downtown Highland Park is about 1.5 miles away.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: plenty of FREE parking, with two lots next door for over flow, and additional parking across the street at the Highland Park Police Department.
A word from Bluegrass
Bluegrass is a casual restaurant located in Highland Park. With a cozy setting nestled into the west side of town it is a true destination dining location. Complete with a warm friendly bar and an American flare, Bluegrass blends in a little Southern influence into its repertoire. The wine and beer selections are all American, along with a full back bar, all hand selected to echo the quality of the fare. Check our website for all of our special events. Mardi Gras is celebrated annually. Cinco de May is with us through the 4th of May! We have many wonderful specials that rotate, so check our menu regularly on line.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Bluegrass - Best Restaurants in Highland Park ›
Bluegrass reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (47)good for groups (26)kid-friendly (26)great for lunch (20)special occasion (17)great for outdoor dining (13)hot spot (11)notable wine list (8)late-night find (6)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Great North Shore BBQ place.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2014Had a nice dinner with girlfriends. A couple had salads that were good. Burger by all accounts was excellent. I ordered skirt steak thinking I would bring half home but ate it all. Family owned and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always giodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/18/2014Good food , friendly staff, new items added. We go here a lot for last minute dinners , always available if you can eat after 7:30 Before that good idea to make reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific PlacecbmdaveVIPDined on 11/18/2014Food and Service are always great and that is what keeps us returning. Slightly hidden location but once you know where it is, it really is a n excellent location for access from all north suburbs. Have not found anything bad on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting choice of food at Bluegrass!FoodieVIPDined on 11/18/2014Delicious food, wonderful choices, welcoming management! The flavors are perfect! Don't miss the drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- teriffic foodlexiandrachelsmomDined on 11/15/2014I had the crawfish etouffe and it was delicious. It's the only restaurant in the north suburbs with good Louisiana food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but service can be a lot betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014Firstly, this place is definitely a local gem. Lots of people who seem to go there often. Food is great and the table service is quick and friendly. The place is small and noisy, rather outdated in appearance, though. The owner (or perhaps manager) came by to the table to check if were were enjoying ourselves - that was good. But, when we first came into the place, there was nobody at the check-in desk to greet us for a few minutes, and when a staff member showed up, finally, she did not even give us a glance, just did something behind the desk, while we stood in front of her. Only when the owner/manager finally came up to the desk were we greeted, and although we had a reservation, had to wait for a while before being seated (actually after some other people, who came in after us, for some reason) - not a good beginning for a new restaurant-patron relationship. The food makes up for much, though. So, we'll probably come back. Oh, and it's not cheap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDebandfriendDined on 11/9/2014A happy occasion with wonderful food and drinks. The staff attention is great. Joni, at the desk, took very good care of us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/9/2014A bit late honoring our reservation, but the excellent hostess and good food more than made up for itSpecial Features:
- Extremely YummyJennymaeVIPDined on 11/9/2014We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food, service & drinks. And they catered to the kids incredibly well!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Taste of New Orleans!BluehonuDined on 11/7/2014I heard about Bluegrass from my co-worker who raved about it. I had to check it out with my wife. I wanted to wait until my birthday, but couldn't wait that long. Upon arrival, Diane warmly greeted us with soft, crusty bread and cinnamon butter. YUM! I ordered the Jambalaya with shrimp and my wife had the shrimp and grits. Our order arrived in less than 10 minutes! Nice portion sizes and lots of shrimp and crawfish. Very tasty. The jambalaya didn't have an overabundance of celery, which many restaurants use as filler. Outstanding beverages, too! Diane let us sample a few to make sure we got what we wanted. We'll be back to try other interesting dishes soon!Special Features:
- Outstanding!RitaDined on 11/6/2014I ordered the jambalaya and it was the best I've had and I've had jambalaya in several spots. The pulled pork sandwich, which I brought home to my husband, was fantastic. Flavorful and just perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING, AGAIN!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014We'd been to Bluegrass several times, and when we wanted to go out with our friends, we knew where to go! as usual the food was beyond compare, the drinks spectacular, and the evening a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great cooking and comfortable roomchitowngrrlVIPDined on 10/29/2014we had cocktails (excellent, generous martinis), blackened grouper with corn-crawfish risotto (fabulous!), shrimp and grits (very good) and chocolate chip bread pudding with whiskey sauce (we almost licked the plate). small, comfortable, relatively casual room with seriously good food.Special Features:
- Yummers!KomodotaDined on 10/25/2014Bluegrass is one of our very favorite neighborhood joynts. Their food is excellent but some menu items are starting to approach "pricey" territory. The ribs are VERY underrated and the sauce worth buying by itself. We know the owner and I told him to rename the shrimp po'boy, the "shrimp rich-boy". The tasty and just the right size shrimp were falling out of the roll with every bite. Absolutely loaded with shrimp. Along with the lettuce and tomato falling off the sandwich, I had a sandwich AND a shrimp salad all in one. The gumbo is a must try on every visit. Although it does not contain any seafood, it's flavor is authentic. The service is the best you can find. Extremely friendly. Bluegrass will stay on our regular list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is slippingMzac25Dined on 10/23/2014Our server was a little too non chalant and ambivalent about our dining experience. In addition when we asked for horseradish to perk up a bland cocktail sauce he told us the didn't have any in the restaurant. Really?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlueAnotherSteakPlaceVIPDined on 10/22/2014Do not confuse this gem with the other "Blue" in town. Cannot say enough about this wonderful place. Always friendly and the food is exceptionally creative. Another place where the owners mingle and converse. What a success story.Special Features:
- Will definitely be back!spicygarlicVIPDined on 10/22/2014Loved everything about it. From the fact that I could get just a shot of gumbo to have a taste of it without a whole bowl, to the fact that the table next to me got the tuna tartar and it came in a fishbowl with a real goldfish! The seafood salad was amazing and my boyfriend really enjoyed his burger. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. My first time but not my last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidDined on 10/18/2014High noise level challenged an otherwise excellent dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant ExperiencemeandfoodDined on 10/17/2014We enjoyed all our entries, which included fall specials like wiener schnitzel. The room is rather small and the tables are somewhat close together, but we found the noise level quite tolerable. Service was pleasant and we were allowed to take our time, even though the restaurant was rather busy. This is not a fancy restaurant, but an enjoyable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crowded on a Sunday nightdgmillsVIPDined on 10/12/2014I think the number of people in the restaurant says it all at this local gem. The servers and host knew most of the patrons who eat here regularly. The ribs and chicken were very good and smoked to near perfection. The sauce was homemade. For a place that is not written up as a top 'q' joint in Chicago, the quality of the "q"was surprisingly good. Definitely a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr & Mrs VSOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014Bluegrass is a very nice place. Exceptional service. Food is great. The 2 things are missing: Capuccino and Espresso. We think this kind of place should have it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every wayBrjchicagoVIPDined on 10/9/2014Always a great experience & very accommodating to special needs & allergies.Special Features:
- mikeDined on 10/5/2014Noise is moderate until restaurant fills up...unless sitting in a booth along the windows. They try to accommodate requests whenever possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for birthdaySkokiedeeDined on 10/5/2014Great place to celebrate birthday. Started with hurricanes. Service was outstanding. We got to meet Chef Bryan who came to the table to introduce himself to make sure everything was okay.All the food was better than okay. The ribs were tasty and crispy not soggy and falling off the bones as at most restaurants. The chicken and burgers were very good. The bake beans with tofee was delicious. They are definitely kid friendly. The dessert they give for birthdays is fantastic. All of us were floored when they brought a gigantic martini glass with brownies and ice cream. Then added marshmellows, whipmcread and fudge sauce. It was more than enough to feed all eight of us. Thank you to the staff for making this a very special birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BluegrassOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Bluegrass simply has the best tasting food in Highland Park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebratorsDined on 9/26/2014We have yet to be anything but delighted with our experiences at Bluegrass..the food never disappoints, the service is always impeccable and the hosts always extremely friendly and accommodating. We were introduced to the restaurant by good friends and now pass along the recommendation to all we know. Bluegrass is a very special place that we now make our go to spot for a great night out as well as for special occasions!Special Features:
- still the best in chicagoDonBDined on 9/24/2014I love Cajun, creole food and the staff here never fails to impress me. this is the most authentic New Orleans food in this area.Special Features:
- Good food for suburbiaWeathermanDined on 9/23/2014Nice place where the noise level is low enough that yoiu can actually carry on a conversation with fellow diners. The food is good, not great, but better than you usually find in suburbia. The smoked brisket is smoked CORNED brisket, which I find a wierd combination and not all that great. The ribs are good but chewy, so if you like them falling off the bone, don't order. I found the peanut brittle beans much too sweet, and prefered the green beans which were sauteed in oil with garlic. Again, a nice place for dining, just not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The owner's rock!brianDined on 9/20/2014The bartender is professional and friendly and our waitress was attentive and engaging, with great recommendations from the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bluegrass has the best!SpecialplaceiknowDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant has an owner present at all times. Their menu is very eclectic but leans heavily to the south and especially South Carolina low country ,Louisiana and the best ribs I have had in Illinois. The service is so good it rates a 5+ and I have eaten here many times. The bar is well stocked and the beer and wine menu extensive. Make reservations and take the trip for a casual great meal. A few of the great items , Sasafrass Talapia, the ribs all of them, the calamari appetizer comes in a giant martini glass and fed 4 easily. For the member of your party that really wanted chinese that night try the orange chicken. It is usually seen at every table just to share. Bread pusdding for desert you got it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotDan2Dined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the food and the service. Nice spot to enjoy a variety of well crafted food options. The martinis are also fantasticSpecial Features:
- Our favorite place in HPOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We really enjoy being in this restaurant. The owners are wonderful, food is delicious, service is terrific. Love it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit, even betterDnKnBDined on 8/30/2014Excellent preparation, food is fresh and top notch serviceSpecial Features:
- wrapman14VIPDined on 8/24/2014Imaginative menu expertly prepared. The service may be the best on the North Shore.Special Features:
- unusual wines beer good barbecueFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014Barbecue was very good seems specialty. Local beers and wine are unusual. Good service. Nice small size desserts availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!!!!FoodjunkieDined on 8/23/2014I was totally blown away by Bluegrass! Amazing food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My First Time and I loved itInterviewdinnerVIPDined on 8/21/2014My Boss and I were having a working dinner and he suggested this restaurant. It was my first time and from the moment we were seated I knew this was going to be a great experience. Great Service, Great Food and they didn't bug us while we talked business. I/we will be back. Thanks AgainSpecial Features:
- HungryGuyVIPDined on 8/19/2014Nice beer and wine selection...Seafood salad is great, so is the pulled pork!Special Features:
- Great choices, very good foodenjoyeatingoutDined on 8/17/2014Nice variety of menu choices. Food preparation very good. Jambalaya was tasty, generous portion. Specail award winning shrimp over cheese grits with pork belly - outstanding. Owner stopped at table a few times to make sure all was well - very friendly. Server was attentive and very helpful with menu selection.Special Features:
- Best EverdoreenmichVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our favorite restaurant of all times. Food is outstanding, service is fantastic and overall experience is one you have to experience yourself. From the time you walk in the door until you leave the owners and chef come by your table to make sure you are happy and having a good time. PLEASE put this on your "to do" list - you won't be sorry!Special Features: