1500 S. Hanover Street
Baltimore, MD 21230Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluegrasstavern.com/
- Phone: 4102445101x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Wednesday 5-10 PM; Thurs 4-10 PM, Fri 4-11 PM, Sat 11AM-11PM, Sun 10 AM-9 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Timothy Dyson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bluegrass Tavern
Bluegrass is an informal fine dining experience dedicated to the perfect pairing of food and drink, with a special focus on the world’s finest bourbons. Our casual dining room features fold-away walls that provide a relaxing, social atmosphere that is open to the outdoors. Come by with your friends, or make some new ones at the Bluegrass tonight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Bluegrass Tavern - Best Restaurants in Federal Hill ›
Bluegrass Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (44)great for outdoor dining (25)special occasion (23)romantic (21)good for groups (14)great for brunch (12)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Mediocre MealBeersnstuffDined on 9/12/2014My parents came to town for the star spangled spectacular so I wanted to take them somewhere with good food. I saw the Baltimore Sun ranked this restaurant among their top restaurants in Baltimore. Although I made reservations, we were stuck waiting for a table for about 30 minutes when we got there, which made no sense to me. We were seated outside, the weather was nice but to be honest, Fort Ave is not an attractive street. Our waiter was nice and attentive; he was also knowledgeable on the menu. I ordered a strip steak. The steak was... ok. My side of fries were cold. My dad had their pork special, a half ground beef-half bacon burger. He hated it. Claimed it tasted like nothing but grease and pepper. My mom had the salmon, it was ok
- Federal Hill gemBmoredinerVIPDined on 9/9/2014Absolutely love this place! We probably eat here at least once a month. Food is creative and delicious and locally sourced. The bourbon list is extensive(they also do beer pairings). Service is knowledgable and friendly AND they have valet parking! One of the best things is the low noise level- there's a lot of good food in Baltimore but a lot of the newer restaurants with creative farm to table food are located on industrial buildings and they're just too loud. This is an old corner row house and it's very cozy and quiet. Love, love , love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh flavors of the SouthWMColmes14VIPDined on 9/7/2014While I think the portions are a bit small on the small plate side, mains are full of flavor and good size. Servers always friendly. Brussel sprouts (decadent - walnut oil, radishes, smoked blue cheese); crawfish hush puppies (skip 'em); sweet potato corn bread is an ok side; pimento is creamy w/flavor; bread & butter beef tartare is good but small portion (shallots, pickles, garlic sherry vinaigrette, crackers); grilled salmon is a big slice cooked perfectly (baby kale salad, goat ricotta, shaved shallot, charred lemon vinaigrette); can never go wrong with their charcuterie-from raw milk cheddar to bacon jam to head cheese to pork terrine to chicken liver mousse. Great selection of spirits and a very cool modern vibe. HH has good deals.Special Features:
- It's a find, Hon!KermitthePugDined on 9/5/2014As an commercial photographer who shoots ad campaigns mainly on location; my work entails a lot of travel, long hours, and being outdoors in variable weather conditions. Needless to say, at the end of each day one of my key priorities is a good meal, usually with my crew of 6-10 people. We picked Bluegrass Tavern off of Baltimore Magazine's 'top 50 restaurants for 2014', as it was close to our hotel and looked great online. The experience once there lived up to our expectations and then some. GREAT food, a pretty good wine list and a great bar. And the service staff was great. We ate in the backroom, and as we usually do at the end of a long shoot day, we closed the place. I hear they have a great brunch too. GO!Special Features:
- ThanosDined on 8/24/2014All 3 of us enjoyed our meals. Liked the hush puppies and dipping sauces a lot. Hamburgers were cooked as ordered (rare enough). Fried chicken was good, but the sauce was a little sweet and the portion too small. Service was friendly, observant and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fried Chicken EverPhilVIPDined on 8/23/2014Crawfish Hushpuppies, fried chicken, and ribs are amazing.Special Features:
- Wonderful find, delicious meals!laviniaDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyable first dining experience at Bluegrass tavern, delicious food (especially the crawfish hush puppies). My daughter enjoyed her Mac n cheese very much and the ribs are so tender that they melt in your mouth. The only problem with dining here is the parking situation. Valet starts at 5pm. We arrived at 4:35pm and circled around the blocks, found a parking space with a sign that your car will be towed during event time (Raverns game). Come after 5pm and use the valet is the best solution to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSheDinesAroundVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was great. Our server seemed to have a slight attitude, which has never been our experience in the past. We will definitely not let this keep us from coming back--this is a quality place! I think the best seats are the bar tables when the windows are wide open--a must do during this unprecedented August weather!Special Features:
- First Time GuestDrJohnsonDined on 8/8/2014I was in town for the Orioles game and decide to take my wife and nieces to dinner before hand. Our server Matt was very helpful with menu suggestions and drink pairing. The timing was great and we were not rushed what so ever. All the staff was very attentive with our needs. Between the four of us, we were able to try many different menu items. My favorite was the fried chicken, the BLT salad and the crispy brussel sprouts. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMonicaDined on 8/2/2014We have eaten at Bluegrass several times and have had a great experience each time. This time we went during restaurant week. The food was definitely not the caliber we've had in the past. My husband and I each had one of the salad options, aside from his having bacon, both salads were very average. His appetizer, the crispy brussel sprouts were good; however, my chilled shrimp and tomato bruschetta was average at best. Our main entree had mixed reviews as well. I rarely return a plate put the strip steak frite was enedible. The strip was a flavorless, grisly piece of meat. Bluegrass did replace my entree with the burger option and did not charge me for my meal but I'd rather pay the full bill and fully enjoy my dining experience.
- Treated like royaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014There were 5 of us and we had a little it of everything. The next day, I took the hugest dump of my life and it had the redolent aroma of spiced pork. I tip my hat to Chef Tim.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!FantasticDined on 8/1/2014From the service to the quality of the food, it was amazing. The care put into creating these dishes was clearly demonstrated in the freshness of the ingredients and the layers of flavor. Went during restaurant week to give it a try and we will be back monthly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!WhycookDined on 8/1/2014I now have an answer for the question "what's the best thing you ever ate"......it's the Crispy Brussels Sprouts on their Small Plates menu! The combination of the smoked blue cheese, rich roasted brussels sprouts and the drizzle of walnut oil is perfection. We thoroughly enjoyed the rest of our meal as well! Our server was knowledgeable and attentive, as you would expect in a place like this. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceboomer49VIPDined on 7/27/2014Although the service was ok, the food was not so good-The $28.00 single crab cake with green bean salad was on the poor side (especially for the price), the pimento cheese was very loose and the fries were very over salted.
- Bob007Dined on 7/20/2014Menu offered a variety of choices, food was very good, and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Always amazing!spyderfan10VIPDined on 7/19/2014My boyfriend and I regularly eat at Blue Grass. It is always incredible! Get the charcuterie plate with the Bacon Jam and ask for extra bread crisps. The fried chicken is my favorite, but the hamburger was voted Best in Baltimore a few years back and I am not surprised. It is also awesome! The service is also consistently timely and friendly. If you have questions about any items on the menu (...you probably will even if you are a foodie) ask! Servers are always happy to help and recommend dishes. A neighborhood favorite for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary SuccesskhargroveDined on 7/16/2014My husband and I took my parents here for their 41st wedding anniversary. Although my husband and I had been here before and absolutely loved it, my parents had never even heard of it. Needless to say, they will be returning! The food was absolutely delicious!! I love that Bluegrass can take "normal" dishes and add just a simple twist that you might have never thought of, and it's delicious!! My mom and husband both had the fried chicken, and are both still raving about it 2 days later. Everything, from the appetizer to dessert, was divine and well worth the 40 minute drive to get there!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Very disappointed in food and service. Smoked fried chicken was tasteless. Ribs and burger good. Service forgetful and slow. Not nearly as good as two three previous occasions.Special Features:
- Laid back spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Overall, I liked this restaurant. The food was quite good in my opinion, but I happened to like their cocktail best! A little loud if eating outdoors depending on the time....but the service we had made up for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentLhsmtranDined on 7/6/2014If you go on a sunday make sure to sit inside the actual bar during 5-7. Substantially lower happy hour prices would have been nice to knowI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great southern-inspired foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014We started with the pickled vegetables, crispy brussel sprouts with blue cheese crumbles, and mac n' cheese - all of it was delicious. The smoked fried chicken was awesome too - just a hint of smoke and really good fried chicken. This place definitely hits the "comfort food" spot without being overly heavy. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Nice ExperiencemikerVIPDined on 7/3/2014Cool place, small cozy dining room, friendly service but waitress was too stretched serving all the tables so service was slow, menu was not very extensive but interesting and food was good. Need another server so that water and beverages are at least kept refreshed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bluegrass1OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Appetizers were great. We would go again just for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/24/2014My husband and I had dinner at Bluegrass. I had the grilled salmon with kale salad. The dressing on my salad was so good and the fish was great. The glass of wine was very generous so I didn't need a second glass. It was very quiet, not crowded, we were there on a Tuesday evening. The service was excellent, very attentive. We'd definitely go there again!Special Features:
- Delish!canadianfoodieDined on 6/18/2014I have high expectations for farm to table restaurants. This place was fantastic. Our server was attentive, helpful and super nice. The quantity and quality for the price was spot on. The craft cocktails were also on par. The server recommended the burger which was quite possibly one of the best burgers I have had in Baltimore thus far. I will be going again.Special Features:
- Great Local foodjel20Dined on 6/15/2014The selection of food was intriguing, interpreting, local and great! They also have a great white whiskey drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodnormalpersonDined on 6/15/2014I loved this place, everything we ordered was perfect. The interesting combinations of foods and the quality of the meats make it taste wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was mehMeMeVIPDined on 6/15/2014Our first time at Bluegrass. The bacon was overly salty, and the sausage was too sweet. The gravy biscuit was disappointing. A split decision on the apple fritters. Maybe brunch just isn't their thing.
- Yummy Comfort Food!MKD1Dined on 6/14/2014The smoked chicken is delicious and the dish to get. Plentiful portions so you may want to share. The staff is warm and friendly. Overall, great experience. Plan on going back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014Accomodating service. We were seated upstairs first near a large party; with the wood floors and moving chairs we could not hear the waiter explain the specials. We moved downstairs where it was more quiet. Smoked fried chcken was the best of our selections. The ribeye was so-so. Duck breast salad very good. Appetiziers including the crawfish fritters were excellent. Good selction of beer.Special Features:
- Dinner ExperienceChoosy1Dined on 6/1/2014Bluegrass Tavern is a great place overall...the food my company of 3 experienced was very good but not great The older (no longer available) larger southern menu with catfish (etc) on it would be better than the now limited food dishes offered...but I still recommend this establishment because the staff (including valet service) are top of the line :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotDrewDined on 5/25/2014You can't go wrong, great food with some adventurous choices like rabbit. Fantastic bourbon selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 442 reviews are from the Bluegrass Tavern reviews archive.
- Very good!newtoBmoreDined on 5/23/2014My man friend and I finally decided to try this restaurant since we live within walking distance, and are glad we trice it! Cute outdoor seating and a unique menu. He had the burger & handcut fries, which was great. I had the fried chicken, potato salad, and homemade pickles (which were amazing!). Will likely return and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laker7Laker7VIPDined on 5/21/2014A bit disappointed in our visit to Blue Grass. I do not think I have ever been told "sorry we ran out of that" more in a dining experience and we were eating at 7:00. First the wine, then 2 of the main courses. The meal itself was good not great. Definitely does not live up to the price tag. The service was good not great- the server seemed to be all over the place/rushing from table to table. Not sure we will return to this restaurant.
- DABAMVIPDined on 5/15/2014Make sure you try the burger and crawfish hushpuppies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outPerfectBiteHunterDined on 4/29/2014I took my company's Board there for a night out. We are all well traveled foodies, and have been doing dinners together for about 8 years. Several remarked that this was the best combination of food (both creativity and preparation) and ambience that we have experienced together. I love the newer simplified menu. Great selections, yet not overwhelming. Intimate feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceBLowenthalDined on 4/26/2014My second time at Bluegrass. Just a terrific ambiance and great service. I brought a birthday cake, and the server lit the candles and brought it out for my brother.Special Features:
- Our cup of teaOtterVIPDined on 4/23/2014We really enjoyed the rich, artisanal approach to southern cuisine. The dishes were creative, fresh and flavorful. The server was enthusiastically informative about the restaurant's true farm to table elements (they own a farm). A friend had been lukewarm on the place and some may not like such richly flavored food. But we loved it and have added it to our favorites rotation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Standard fare, done incredibly well- the farm to table meats and veggies are well prepared to bring out the natural flavor of the food. Handmade sausages and salami are mind blowing(bacon kielbasa. Yup.). Tim Dyson, the head chef, came to the table and was happy to answer our questions about the food and the processes they use. The environment is relaxed and casual, and the service was flawless. Can't wait to get back in, feels like a neighborhood version of some of the bigger places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/20/2014Great fried chicken! No really it was good. For you vegetarians or those just looking for a meatless meal like me, Kale and cheese omelet very good as well. I'm coming back. A little chilly to sit outside, but seating outside on side street looks like the place to be. Next time I guess. Folks working that morning were great. Check this place out, I'm glad I did.Special Features: