1500 S. Hanover Street
Baltimore, MD 21230Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluegrasstavern.com/
- Phone: (410) 244-5101
- Hours of Operation:
Closed Monday. Tues to Thurs 5PM - 10 PM, Fri 5PM-11 PM, Sat 11AM-11PM (Brunch 'til 4), Sun 10 AM-9 PM (Brunch 'til 4)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Antonio Rice
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer catering for small and large events. Contact us for more information.
A word from Bluegrass Tavern
Bluegrass is an informal fine dining experience dedicated to the perfect pairing of food and drink, with a special focus on the world’s finest bourbons. Our casual dining room features fold-away walls that provide a relaxing, social atmosphere that is open to the outdoors. Come by with your friends, or make some new ones at the Bluegrass tonight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bluegrass Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (51)romantic (23)great for brunch (19)special occasion (18)good for groups (18)great for outdoor dining (12)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (8)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Lynne20007VIPDined on 11/22/2014Great food and great atmosphere. The food definitely exceeded my expectations. The sweet potato cornbread (starter) is amazing and the ribs were the best my husband had ever had. Definitely going to return sometime soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, great atmosphere, average food.Greg410Dined on 11/22/2014I enjoyed the restaurant. But in retrospect the food was average I thought. Has tons of potential. If I go back I'll probably get a burger which is what people say is great. But there are lots of places to get burgers you know? I had the crazy spicy chicken special which was good. My wife had the trout which she thought was over cooked. I will say dessert was awesome. Peanut Butter Pie and Chocolate Bread Pudding were both terrific. I'll give it another try sometime because I've heard really good things about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/21/2014As a frequent diner at Bluegrass Tavern I've become accustomed to getting great food and having great service from a knowledgeable staff. I was so disappointed by the horrible service on my most recent visit. Everything took way too long. Our table wasn't cleared between courses. Our waiter neglected us for long periods of time. The food was very good, as usual.I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Bluegrass, it's good for the SoulFeedYourFace2nightDined on 11/15/2014We met another couple at Bluegrass last weekend and everybody just loved the food, atmosphere, and the excellent wine! The high notes were the grilled salmon served over greens, catfish jambalaya, and the excellent Spellbound Petit Syrah! The only downside was the service as our server was either having a bad day or needed to change her attitude (wasn't pleasant at all).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently very good!tugacrabVIPDined on 11/14/2014I have been to this restaurant 4 times and consistently the service and food are very good. I like the neighborhood feel of the place and enjoy their food which is very good and offers some off the beaten path options. The housemade charcuterie is great and seasonal so you can always try new things.This time we had the pork shank and it was very good, falling off the bone. Really loved the tartare small plate. This was the first time I had dessert here and we all enjoyed the peanut butter pie and key lime cheese cake.Special Features:
- Great spotAdamKDined on 11/9/2014We went to Bluegrass after moving in a couple blocks away. Great place. Neighborhood feel, friendly servers, and a great menu. Definitely worth checking out. No complaints from me or my fiance. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!!Tumbleweed0530Dined on 11/5/2014I found this restaurant on a listing of the Top 50 Restaurants in Baltimore. The menu immediately stood out to me and I knew I needed to try it out. I came here for a birthday dinner and everything was amazing. The smoked (or Smoky? i forget) fried chicken and biscuits with crawfish gumbo gravy was so flavorful and just the perfect amount of smoke and spice. I was full but could NOT stop eating it. And the Chocolate Nutella Bread Pudding with Banana ice cream......AGAIN, i was full, but HAD to try it. I had to force myself to stop and not finish the whole thing because it was ridiculously good! The ambiance was cozy and could be great for a romantic date or also for just going out for some good conversation. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Best Fed Hill Eating OutmcmegamomDined on 11/2/2014Don't know where to start, since The Bluegrass Tavern pleased on all levels. Can't imagine enjoying a dinner any more. We (party of 6) shared 4 appetizers and all agreed we'd come in just to eat appetizers. Can't tell you which was best, because they all were, but only 2 of us liked Brussels Sprouts when we arrived; all 6 of us loved them when we left. We ordered 6 different entrees and, once again, argued which is best, so lots of sharing around the table. I don't think there's an item on the menu you could go wrong with (my port shank was the best I've ever tasted!). Add to that the wonderful Historic City Tavern atmosphere, the server who treated us like guests in her home, the manager who visited our table to chat. GREAT restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alright...RhixasDined on 10/29/2014The appetizers were wonderful. I had a great time with the waitress. The only problem I had is the entrees were bland and off tasting. I got the Pork Shank and my boyfriend got the cowboy steak. The steak didn't taste like a steak should. He ordered his steak medium and it came out well done. My pork shank was overly citrus tasting yet the meat was fall off the bone. Which is good! I would suggest coming her and just doing an appetizer.Special Features:
- A Federa Hill Must!annapolis1Dined on 10/26/2014Food and service were excellent! A little pricey, but worth it. We went for a birthday dinner. Great wines! One of the best restaurants in Fed Hill. Valet parking is available and necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jnineVIPDined on 10/26/2014We made a special trip to Bluegrass this past Sunday and won't do that again. The place was empty with the exception of a private party upstairs. So, with that being said it seemed the bartender was annoyed that we wanted to have a cocktail at the bar before being sitted. We ended up in the back room aka dining room and we were all by ourselves, in which, was great. Anyway, my waffles and fried chicken was horrible. The fried chicken was fried dough (no chicken at all) I would of been better off getting my chicken at Royal Farm. My husband said his steak and eggs were good. However, once the waitress took my plate away noticing all the chicken was on the side of my plate she asked me how was my brunch. All I have to say I won't go back.
- DeliciousQueRicoDined on 10/18/2014The food was outstanding, and the servers pretty much leave you alone. If anything that's my only complaint - the server left us alone a bit too much!Special Features:
- Warm and invitingJulieDined on 10/18/2014Lovely time! Had read review that the chicken and dumpling were too salty but did not find it to be. Also tried the shrimp and grits which had a delicious red sauce. Nice cocktail menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bluegrass Never DisappointsKrisGreenDined on 10/18/2014After finding Bluegrass Tavern by accident in 2012, my wife and I have made this our go-to spot for our anniversary dinner. We were (slightly) disappointed to learn Chef Dyson was no longer at Bluegrass, but gave it a chance this year anyway, and are glad we did! The food was still delicious, and nothing we had disappointed. We shared a charcuterie board and the sweet potato cornbread - the best thing to happen to cornbread since, well, cornbread!! The smoked chicken and dumplings was even better than I hoped for, and my wife's farmhouse salad and mac & cheese hit the comfort food spot. We are already looking forward to the 6 hour journey from Providence to Baltimore next year to keep the anniversary tradition alive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastywritezoeDined on 10/17/2014Tried Bluegrass Tavern with a promotional offer. The food was very good, but a little heavy for me. We started with the sweet potato corn bread. We loved it and saved half for breakfast. For an entree I tried the famous Smoked Chicken & Dumplings. The chicken in this dish is smoked then fried and it was really tasty. The dumplings were very dense and the gravy was kind of like a stew with hunks of carrot & celery. Overall, I wish the chicken was served without the gravy because it was all so rich and heavy (I could only eat 1/3 of my plate) but it was delicious. My husband had the Shrimp & Grits. They were great. The grits were perfect. The service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite sporBmoredinerVIPDined on 10/12/2014We eat here probably twice a month(we do Sunday dinner with family) and this is easily our go-to place. Charcuterie is delicious. Drinks are generous and well crafted. And the food is always great. Since we come often, we are always greeted personally and our drinks are ready immediately. It's especially nice to be remembered and that your return visits are noted. Menu changes monthly and is locally sourced when possible and the charcuterie is housemade. The atmosphere and food keep is coming back. Also have valet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It should have been betternormalpersonDined on 10/11/2014I have been coming here for the past year and it's been Amazing. But now there's a new chef and I don't like what he did. My smoke-fried chicken was too salty to eat. This is the specialty of the restaurant and now its like a mouth full of ocean water. The fried chicken is soaked in super-salty soup, which is supposed to be a gravy. Don't get me wrong, the food is good, for a good price but the food used to be friggin insanely amazing. The food here used to blow you away but now its just alright or even bad. I'm so blown about this. I'll try it again one day and hope they worked out how to use salt.Special Features:
- Started strongchefboyrb55VIPDined on 10/7/2014Nice valet. Friendly server. Great appetizers. Spot on wine pairings. Paired a beer with our entrees and that worked well too- but the entrees were barely warm. There were only 16 of us in the whole place and we were the last to get our main course, so I'm not sure what the problem was. We have eaten here for years and never had a complaint.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014The food is outstanding, and the service was very good.Special Features:
- New Fall Menu doesn't disappointcharmcityfoodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014New Fall Menu - Lucky enough to be the first to try the Chicken and Dumplings topped with Gumbo. It was delicious! Only call out is to make the gumbo spicier. Will definitely be back for more!Special Features:
- love love loveNEURONURSEDined on 9/19/2014We frequently dine at Bluegrass. The food and service are always top notch. The staff is always friendly and welcoming and the food is out of this world good. Upscale comfort food at its finest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre MealBeersnstuffDined on 9/12/2014My parents came to town for the star spangled spectacular so I wanted to take them somewhere with good food. I saw the Baltimore Sun ranked this restaurant among their top restaurants in Baltimore. Although I made reservations, we were stuck waiting for a table for about 30 minutes when we got there, which made no sense to me. We were seated outside, the weather was nice but to be honest, Fort Ave is not an attractive street. Our waiter was nice and attentive; he was also knowledgeable on the menu. I ordered a strip steak. The steak was... ok. My side of fries were cold. My dad had their pork special, a half ground beef-half bacon burger. He hated it. Claimed it tasted like nothing but grease and pepper. My mom had the salmon, it was ok
- Federal Hill gemBmoredinerVIPDined on 9/9/2014Absolutely love this place! We probably eat here at least once a month. Food is creative and delicious and locally sourced. The bourbon list is extensive(they also do beer pairings). Service is knowledgable and friendly AND they have valet parking! One of the best things is the low noise level- there's a lot of good food in Baltimore but a lot of the newer restaurants with creative farm to table food are located on industrial buildings and they're just too loud. This is an old corner row house and it's very cozy and quiet. Love, love , love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh flavors of the SouthWMColmes14VIPDined on 9/7/2014While I think the portions are a bit small on the small plate side, mains are full of flavor and good size. Servers always friendly. Brussel sprouts (decadent - walnut oil, radishes, smoked blue cheese); crawfish hush puppies (skip 'em); sweet potato corn bread is an ok side; pimento is creamy w/flavor; bread & butter beef tartare is good but small portion (shallots, pickles, garlic sherry vinaigrette, crackers); grilled salmon is a big slice cooked perfectly (baby kale salad, goat ricotta, shaved shallot, charred lemon vinaigrette); can never go wrong with their charcuterie-from raw milk cheddar to bacon jam to head cheese to pork terrine to chicken liver mousse. Great selection of spirits and a very cool modern vibe. HH has good deals.Special Features:
- It's a find, Hon!KermitthePugDined on 9/5/2014As an commercial photographer who shoots ad campaigns mainly on location; my work entails a lot of travel, long hours, and being outdoors in variable weather conditions. Needless to say, at the end of each day one of my key priorities is a good meal, usually with my crew of 6-10 people. We picked Bluegrass Tavern off of Baltimore Magazine's 'top 50 restaurants for 2014', as it was close to our hotel and looked great online. The experience once there lived up to our expectations and then some. GREAT food, a pretty good wine list and a great bar. And the service staff was great. We ate in the backroom, and as we usually do at the end of a long shoot day, we closed the place. I hear they have a great brunch too. GO!Special Features:
- Great BurgerAmybtylerDined on 8/29/2014The burger was absolutely delicious. The cheese board is also a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanosDined on 8/24/2014All 3 of us enjoyed our meals. Liked the hush puppies and dipping sauces a lot. Hamburgers were cooked as ordered (rare enough). Fried chicken was good, but the sauce was a little sweet and the portion too small. Service was friendly, observant and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fried Chicken EverPhilVIPDined on 8/23/2014Crawfish Hushpuppies, fried chicken, and ribs are amazing.Special Features:
- Wonderful find, delicious meals!laviniaDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyable first dining experience at Bluegrass tavern, delicious food (especially the crawfish hush puppies). My daughter enjoyed her Mac n cheese very much and the ribs are so tender that they melt in your mouth. The only problem with dining here is the parking situation. Valet starts at 5pm. We arrived at 4:35pm and circled around the blocks, found a parking space with a sign that your car will be towed during event time (Raverns game). Come after 5pm and use the valet is the best solution to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSheDinesAroundVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was great. Our server seemed to have a slight attitude, which has never been our experience in the past. We will definitely not let this keep us from coming back--this is a quality place! I think the best seats are the bar tables when the windows are wide open--a must do during this unprecedented August weather!Special Features:
- First Time GuestDrJohnsonDined on 8/8/2014I was in town for the Orioles game and decide to take my wife and nieces to dinner before hand. Our server Matt was very helpful with menu suggestions and drink pairing. The timing was great and we were not rushed what so ever. All the staff was very attentive with our needs. Between the four of us, we were able to try many different menu items. My favorite was the fried chicken, the BLT salad and the crispy brussel sprouts. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMonicaDined on 8/2/2014We have eaten at Bluegrass several times and have had a great experience each time. This time we went during restaurant week. The food was definitely not the caliber we've had in the past. My husband and I each had one of the salad options, aside from his having bacon, both salads were very average. His appetizer, the crispy brussel sprouts were good; however, my chilled shrimp and tomato bruschetta was average at best. Our main entree had mixed reviews as well. I rarely return a plate put the strip steak frite was enedible. The strip was a flavorless, grisly piece of meat. Bluegrass did replace my entree with the burger option and did not charge me for my meal but I'd rather pay the full bill and fully enjoy my dining experience.
- Treated like royaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014There were 5 of us and we had a little it of everything. The next day, I took the hugest dump of my life and it had the redolent aroma of spiced pork. I tip my hat to Chef Tim.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!FantasticDined on 8/1/2014From the service to the quality of the food, it was amazing. The care put into creating these dishes was clearly demonstrated in the freshness of the ingredients and the layers of flavor. Went during restaurant week to give it a try and we will be back monthly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!WhycookDined on 8/1/2014I now have an answer for the question "what's the best thing you ever ate"......it's the Crispy Brussels Sprouts on their Small Plates menu! The combination of the smoked blue cheese, rich roasted brussels sprouts and the drizzle of walnut oil is perfection. We thoroughly enjoyed the rest of our meal as well! Our server was knowledgeable and attentive, as you would expect in a place like this. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 462 reviews are from the Bluegrass Tavern reviews archive.
- Not worth the priceboomer49VIPDined on 7/27/2014Although the service was ok, the food was not so good-The $28.00 single crab cake with green bean salad was on the poor side (especially for the price), the pimento cheese was very loose and the fries were very over salted.
- Bob007Dined on 7/20/2014Menu offered a variety of choices, food was very good, and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Always amazing!spyderfan10VIPDined on 7/19/2014My boyfriend and I regularly eat at Blue Grass. It is always incredible! Get the charcuterie plate with the Bacon Jam and ask for extra bread crisps. The fried chicken is my favorite, but the hamburger was voted Best in Baltimore a few years back and I am not surprised. It is also awesome! The service is also consistently timely and friendly. If you have questions about any items on the menu (...you probably will even if you are a foodie) ask! Servers are always happy to help and recommend dishes. A neighborhood favorite for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary SuccesskhargroveDined on 7/16/2014My husband and I took my parents here for their 41st wedding anniversary. Although my husband and I had been here before and absolutely loved it, my parents had never even heard of it. Needless to say, they will be returning! The food was absolutely delicious!! I love that Bluegrass can take "normal" dishes and add just a simple twist that you might have never thought of, and it's delicious!! My mom and husband both had the fried chicken, and are both still raving about it 2 days later. Everything, from the appetizer to dessert, was divine and well worth the 40 minute drive to get there!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2014Very disappointed in food and service. Smoked fried chicken was tasteless. Ribs and burger good. Service forgetful and slow. Not nearly as good as two three previous occasions.Special Features: