BlueFire Grill at La Costa Resort
2100 Costa Del Mar Road
Carlsbad, CA 92009Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
BlueFire Grill at La Costa Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lacosta.com/dinebluefire.aspx
- Phone: 7609296306
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5pm - 10pm
BlueFire Lounge: Tue-Thurs 4pm-12am; Fri/Sat 4pm-1:30am
Happy Hour: 4pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Gregory Frey, Jr
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: BlueFire offers a semi-private section of the dining room for groups of 15-40. This area can be exclusively yours. For larger groups, facilities and services are provided by La Costa Resort and Spa. For assistance, please contact the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Contact: Joey Alfano (760)931-7523
- Entertainment: BlueFire Grill features live music Wednesday - Saturday outdoors in the picturesque plaza or in BlueFire's lounge. Enjoy a variety of music including Contemporary Acoustic Rock, Blues and Oldies.
A word from BlueFire Grill at La Costa Resort
When you dine at BlueFire Grill, you're sure to meet dynamic chef Gregory Frey, Jr., who circulates thru the dining room greeting patrons and sharing his culinary tips. It's impossible to miss Chef Frey's passion for the freshest ingredients and his attention to detail infuses every bite of your meal here. Along with fresh coastal seafood selections, the menu includes fine meats and seasonal ingredients from local farmers and purveyors. The menu is paired with an extensive wine list and patrons enjoy indoor or outdoor dining, along with a regular schedule of live music performances and a lively lounge scene. Return often, as Chef Frey's menu is seasonally-inspired and specials are ever-changing.Continued
Visit lacosta.com for BlueFire's live music schedule Wednesday-Saturday.
Visit lacosta.com for BlueFire's live music schedule Wednesday-Saturday.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BlueFire Grill at La Costa Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (15)special occasion (7)romantic (7)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Meal was not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Our service was wonderful, but 3 out of 4 of us did not enjoy our meals. My salmon was not cooked, beef dish was too heavy to enjoy and the cioppino was dry. We were all very uncomfortable after dinner. Sadly, we will not be returning to the restaurant.Special Features:
- New chef still excellentPeteHVIPDined on 8/9/2014We went with another couple. The ladies had the short ribs, while I had the swordfish special and my friend had the salmon. All the dishes were excellent. On the weekends they have outdoor music which also adds a nice touch.Special Features:
- Good but some dishes fell shortFreviewDined on 8/2/2014Nice place if you are staying at resort, though Bistro 65 also on property is nicer overall. Good service, nice ambiance. Some of the dishes were nice but unfortunately my $29 cioppino fell very short. 3 mussels, no crab or scallops (both listed on menu), and a few small pieces of salmon. Also smaller than an appetizer. Meat dishes looked better. I had to grab a sandwich after dinner in the resort marketplace! :-)
- Good, clean food.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/1/2014The portion were great, the Filet was amazing and cooked to perfection. I think there is a new chef… Next challenge is to work on that kids menue… $9. For a hotdog? We sent it back, it was too salty.. the kids ate our lamb & filet. I guess they are now foodies…Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingSamuelDined on 7/5/2014I had no trouble getting a 7:45 p.m. table for two on a Saturday night during the July 4th weekend. We were promptly seated in a mostly empty dining room. Our server, Joseph, was attentive and polite. Food was mostly forgettable. If I'm spending $230 for dinner for two, I want fine dining. The most unpleasant part of the experience was the clientele. I understand BlueFire is part of the La Costa Resort, but several tables were occupied either by families with younger (loud/entitled) children or tank-top and flip-flop wearing tourists. My view included chest, back and armpit hair from the "gentleman" across the way. I'd expect a bit more exclusivity at a fine restaurant, but I don't think this place would qualify as a fine restaurantSpecial Features:
- Excellent food but uneven ambience!GwenVIPDined on 7/3/2014We loved the food and service, but in contrast to the appealing outdoor seating, (which was full and for larger parties), we were seated in an area that was dark, without music, or anything interesting to look at. We felt really bummed out, compared to what we had hoped for based on the photons on the website.Special Features:
- Fine dining in CarlsbadQuothTheMavenDined on 5/28/2014The Blue Fire Grill is as good as it gets. We have been there several times, and each time its not just a meal but an experience. Under the gentle, but careful hand of Joe, the manager everything is personable and warm and, well, perfect. There are comfortable with special dietary needs too.Special Features:
- Could Have Been BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/24/2014We were first seated at a table for six and there were only 2 of us. It was right by the kitchen, which was really noisy and ruined any kind of good ambiance. There were plenty of other empty tables for 4. We asked to be moved, which they did. The waitress did come quickly to take the drink order and then this ear piercing fire alarm went off. We all sat there for a couple of minutes until it was too unbearable to stay there. No instructions were given by the staff, so we all went outside before our hearing got any worse. It's amazing that no one from the staff told us what was happening. They finally came outside and told us that we will be able to go back in soon. After about 5 minutes we were told we could return to our tables.Special Features:
- An always wonderful mealSDBcruiseVIPDined on 5/24/2014We love Bluefire Grill. Greg has created a menu that is always chocked full of delicious and beautiful options. The service is impeccable and Tyler is awesome! We live in La Costa so Bluefire is nearby and we love an evening in the beautiful surroundings and having the best food in town!!! BRAVO!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent at a reasonable costfsestiDined on 5/20/2014Everything is fresh and local. Wild salmon was a huge portion and over organic grain rice with fresh vegetables. Cioppino was not expected but nonetheless delicious. I used a spoon to drink up the sauce, and everything else was just as good. Dinner for 4 (without the wine) was $150 and it was a 5 star dinner. One of the best so we'll be back.Special Features:
- The following 345 reviews are from the BlueFire Grill at La Costa Resort reviews archive.
- Best diningdinamite003Dined on 4/26/2014Our waiter was awesome! Food was phenomenal, my girlfriends and I had a wonderful experience at the restaurant. Definitely, would go back again and recommended this place to anyone whose looking for a great meal with wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must doOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014The food was excellent and the service impeccable. We enjoyed meeting the chef. We were there for a special occasion and the atmosphere fit perfectly with the occasion.Special Features:
- As always.. an enjoyable evening...OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/29/2014The Bluefire Grill is our favorite place to take out-of-town friends for a great night of drinks and dining...out on the patio is where we like to reserve a table. The food and staff never disappoint. The patio area is our family's favorite place in the summer as well for weekends of music and dancing with the grandkids. The La Costa Resort make us all feel we are on vacation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not honor our reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014We made a reservation using OpenTable and then were told that they could not find our reservation. They were booked solid that night and did not honor the reservation. We were forced to eat at the other restaurant at La Costa Resort, which was not that good.
- Standard fancy hotel restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014The food was very ok and overpriced since you're at a hotel, but you come in expecting that. It's funny how we're willing to lower our standards for hotels, yet still pay a premium for them when there are numerous great restaurants nearby. I suppose you're paying for the ambiance more than anything.Special Features:
- Poor valueOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/26/2014The food was average and the menu deceiving. Tiny portions on the sides and what was there didn't taste that great. The worst part was the service. The food was slow to arrive, our server barely checked in with us and we were never asked how our meal was. The meal took over 2 hours and the restaurant wasn't that busy. There are so many better options at better prices with better menus.
- DrivesdreviewsDined on 2/21/2014It's been awhile since we have been back to Bluefire. Menu has changed, for the worse in my opinion. Will not be back. Way overpriced for the area. If you are staying at the resort drive 10 minutes and get something better.
- Too expensive for quality of foodMimiDined on 2/14/2014Not a great experience! You would expect a resort of this caliber to have a better fine dining restaurant. Our food was mediocre and way expensive.
- Service was ok. One of myOhanaDined on 2/14/2014Service was ok. One of my friends wasn't impressed with the menu so he just ordered the clam chowder. The waiter made fun of him for that. It took over an hour for us to get our food. It took 3x to get our check right. Food wasn't all that great. For the price, I expected more flavor.
- Review Blue FireGraciesDadDined on 2/12/2014Great services as always. And great food. Highly satisfied and will return.Special Features:
- Service was swiftBdayDined on 1/24/2014lamb barbaquoa was not a good choice for me. It was salty even with the chimichuri heat and squeeze of lime didn't cut the salt. The deep fried side was heavy and greasy had to send it back. Risotto with mushrooms made vegan with no cheese was delicious. Server was quick to take credit the lamb dish but reminded me 1/2 dozen times I'm entitled to my opinion as I quietly tried to share how the dish tasted to me.
- Bravo Chef and Firegrill Staffitaly7peruDined on 1/23/2014The Chef came and explained details of each dish. Description, presentation and taste were more than AWESOME. Manager, hostess and servers were all friendly and professional. We were 7 in our party and 2 of them daughters of NY restaurant owners. All foodies and we definitely are going back more than once. Recommendation: Have more and larger round tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrated our 42nd anniversary,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/22/2014We celebrated our 42nd anniversary, we have celebrated other anniversaries too and each one was special. The food was delicious and the staff very lovely. It was also very special to have the chef come out.Special Features:
- We had a great time!deejay01Dined on 1/18/2014Great food and the best service was experienced by all. Would highly recommend BlueFire Grill to anyone wanting a recommendation for that special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas dinnerDrLuDined on 12/25/2013Our experience with this restaurant began with an email, cancelling our reservation 2 hours before the scheduled time. I called immediately and someone named Rosa laughed it off. When we got tot he restaurant, we were seated right by the door, which of course was opening constantly with cold air coming in constantly. Our waiter did not come to the table for 10 minutes, and we didn't even have water for 15 minutes. The food was fair, was overpriced for what we got, and the service continued to be mediocre at best. All together, a mediocre experience, and a disappointment. Thankfully, I had my family around me, which kept the experience from being a total loss.
- Poor ServcieCMRYDined on 12/25/2013The service at this restaurant was very poor. The server could not give us some details about the vegan item on the menu. We hardly saw the server--he forgot to add items to our order and we had to call one of the delivery persons to get our food. I had to wait for another glass of wine--the host came over to apologize and bring me my wine. There was no ambiance for a holiday dinner ( Christmas). The server presented me with a $450+ bill for a party of 2--then left--it took about 5-10 minutes to return to the table so that I could let him know that this was not our bill.
- How to miss a Christmas dinner...FrankVIPDined on 12/25/2013This Christmas I took my family of six to La Costa Resort where this restaurant is located for convenience and looking for a special dining place for our Christmas dinner: what a mistake. The reservation was made weeks ago being very clear we had two young children. They gave us two separate tables of three persons... The second insult was the kids menu that had three items with hot dogs and mac & cheese as the Special Christmas menu. All our vegetables were raw, not al dente, raw. We ordered two similars adult meals for the kids and they served both of them in one soup bowl and were told that they could share !!!! The chef himself had to put it back in two plates as ordered. The waiter was never to be seen except for the check.
- carbonata pleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013to whom it may concern, 3 out of 4 of us tried the carbonata i found it heavy and too sticky, the first time i tried this at blue fire it was wonderful, this time a big disappointment, if you are going to put a special dish on the menue you want consistancy, not this time. christmas dinner was not as good as i wanted. sincerely, carl gehringSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve DinnerRastrattonDined on 12/24/2013We had a wonderful dinner on Christmas Eve at BlueFire. We have dined here many times but the improvements since Omni has purchased are excellent. We had 2 Vegans with us and they can be difficult to accommodate but not at BlueFire, they really enjoyed their dinners. Swordfish belly was the best I have ever had! We will be back.Special Features:
- Glad I went!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/24/2013This was my first time eating here and it won't be my last! The food was creative and delicious. So happy we have a place this good in Carlsbad!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So it is,...TatankaVIPDined on 12/19/2013Nice to have a Gem like this in La Costa,..Especially at a Hotel! Food carefully picked and prepared by Chef Greg Frey,…Wines paired,..Although it might be great to see a larger selection, And served by an energetic, Happy staff. Music in bar a plus, And the band led by Roger Friend amazing! I would say this is a true "Farm to Table" restaurant equally to Market or French Laundry.Special Features:
- Farm to TableTatankaVIPDined on 12/12/2013Great food,..All dishes prepared with care,..Bar fun, And usually music with Roger Friend and ,.."Guests". Bartenders friendly and always fast paced. Would be great to see a few flat screen T.V.s not from the Truman administration! Chef Greg amazing how he touches most every table,..Attentive manager as well,…KNOWS the wine program, But would be great to see a few more interesting selections,..(Due to space). Great experience overall,..Bring your wallet,..But its worth every cent!Special Features:
- First Time sitting inside.elfamoso9Dined on 12/12/2013First Time sitting inside. Brought a new lady friend. Table could not have been more private and conducive to a intimate conversation. Service was great and the special touch was chef coming out to inquire that all was prepared to perfection. Christmas Lights were up around the grounds which was great for the after Dinner walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has everything!DiningconnVIPDined on 11/27/2013Superb surroundings only complimented excellent food and service. Interesting twists on menu items by a very creative chef. IF anything was to be criticized, it would be under cooked vegetables. So many high end restaurants do this......potatoes are always fully cooked....why not the other veggies?Special Features:
- TerrificJoeJoeDined on 11/26/2013I thought the food was great but the attitude of your staff was outstanding, the manager, Kyle had a wonderful friendly energy, Joe and Amy were great at service. The management of your people is terrific!Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerlovegoodfoodDined on 11/15/2013My husband and I went to BlueFire on a date night. The soup was excellent and so was my Halibut. My husband had the New York bone in steak and had to send it back twice because it was so undercooked. My vegetables were not cooked enough and were hard to cut with a knife. We did appreciate that they paid for my husband's meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wanted it to be better than it isfeedmefinefoodVIPDined on 11/2/2013We sat outside and it was as if our waiter kept forgetting us. The $15 cheese plate was a very disappointing presentation. Picture a small plate with cheeses piled atop each other with honeycomb and olives with no rhyme or reason. Of course, our waiter did not bother to tell us what we were eating. Entrees were good not great. Steak and fish dishes were very good. Pasta was BAD. Forget getting more drinks...our waiter didn't bother to offer. I will say the bus staff were SO good and attentive. Sad they weren't my server. I was surprised by the number of children dining after 8pm on a Saturday night. Not a "hot spot or vibrant" scene despite the band playing.Special Features:
- special dinnerdinedivinelyDined on 11/2/2013BlueFire Grill turned out to be the perfect choice for my special occasion dinner - It has been years since I saw my niece and her husband because they moved out of state. We reunited at the La Costa Resort last night and experienced a wonderful evening of exquisite food, music and shared family memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Blue Fire!!SDBcruiseVIPDined on 10/25/2013Honestly....why more people haven't found this gem is beyond me. Greg the chef, our favorite waiter Ed and the whole team are awesome and attentive. The food you ask? Greg does an amazing job with the food!! His passion clearly comes through and the food is awesome!Special Features:
- Great service!GreatVIPDined on 10/3/2013Our waiter was terrific - we were hosting out of town guests and couldn't have been more pleased with his professionalism and attention to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.