7952 East Coast Highway
Newport Coast, CA 92657Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluefinbyabe.com/
- Phone: 9497157373
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Takashi Abe
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please call us for details.
A word from Bluefin Restaurant
Classic and creative sushi, sashimi and other Japanese dishes, many showing international influences, in a stylish contemporary setting, from Nobu Matsuhisa alumnus Takashi Abe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bluefin Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (16)great for lunch (9)romantic (6)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Excellent SushisdurlandDined on 9/22/2014We planned a detour in Newport Beach before driving to San Diego. We are sushi fans so I did some checking in advance and made reservations before flying out. The location was a bit hard to find as it was in a higher end mall, but it did not disappoint. We were seated promptly and the waiters were very attentive. The sushi bar extends the majority of the length of the restaurant with several chefs. We wanted to try a cold saki and the recommendation was great. While ordering the waiter honestly realized that we were probably ordering more food than we could consume so we backed off a roll. The amount was perfect. The sushi was delicious. The rolls were much bigger than we were used to, which was nice. The fish was very fresh!Special Features:
- All great.GourmetdinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great sushi and other fresh fish, great service and a great experience altogether we have been here multiple times and it is always good. Spicy tuna on crispy rice beats out other sushi restaurants with the same appreciate the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was very good. Will certainly return when in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDanODined on 9/13/2014Went with my wife for our Anniversary. It was a great experience. The fish was amazing and melted in our mouths. The Bluefin flight of sake was just right! Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingfishVIPDined on 9/12/2014This our favorite sushi restaurant anywhere in the world! We travel here and always go to bluefin at least one time during our trip!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014Exceptional quality sushi and service. Early lunch was a good time for quiet dining.Special Features:
- all goodLeneVIPDined on 9/5/2014everything we ordered was extremely fresh and delicious. 4 of us all give it rave reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmingSKIPVIPDined on 9/5/2014What an underwhelming meal. not only was the fish not very fresh but the service was abysmal. There's better sashimi next door at Bear Flag for 1/4 the price.
- The best sushi in town.GourmetdinerVIPDined on 8/28/2014Bluefin always delivers and did so again. Some recent menu changes including a new omakasi menu. All good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So fresh, so good!BunnyVIPDined on 8/21/2014I am not a sushi eater but went to appease my teenage daughter. I was a little hesitant to try sashimi or raw fish but the Blue Fin roll and other specialties were delicious! California Rolls were to die for. Next time we are back visiting from Houston, we will sit at the bar to watch the cooks prepare the food with such precision.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2014We heard great things about this place. For the most part the food was good not sure worth the price. The service was below average for what you pay. I would have expected superb service!Special Features:
- Fabulous!!LovefoodVIPDined on 8/11/2014Best Japanese food around. We love to order the Omakase when we dine here. The creativity and skill that Takashi Abe uses with every dish is a wonderful treat to your taste buds and eyes!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualMrbdinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I went to Bluefin prior to attending the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach. The place was busy as usual but our table was waiting. The atmosphere was pleasant and the food and service was great. Highly recommend this neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingjbondy8VIPDined on 7/30/2014Lived in Japan for 15 years so can appreciate first rate sushi. ALL and I really mean ALL the food came out well within 10 minutes of the order being taken, talk about pre-prepared. Food just lacking flavour and sadly it seemed freshness too. Restaurant lacked any ambiance, my first time there could just have been unlucky timing but it was 7:30pm on a Wednesday.
- AnkimofavDined on 7/29/2014Bluefin at a point symbolised the best in Japanese cuisine. Those days have passed them by. Bluefin continues to cater to the well-heeled crowd from Orange County's coastal communities. The ambiance once unique (wall of water) seems tired. The menu still contains many of the signature dishes of the past decade. Unfortunately the quality of the food has diminished. Once offering some of the freshest seafood in the O.C. the restaurant is cutting back on quality i.e. oysters, albacore, sweet shrimp. These are your basic menu items, not specialties. What struck me even more were the open seats available to the walk-in crowd; something 5 years ago would never have happened.
- Definitely you pay a premiumRepeatguest8VIPDined on 7/25/2014I had the sashimi lunch. Great presentation but the fish just didn't have the oomph....it wasn't fishy...didn't seem fresh.. Least to say, it wasn't satisfying. There was a nat inside the calamari salad and they graciously comp'd it (standard within the industry though). This place definitely is not cheap.
- Amazing!AlejandroDined on 7/23/2014at first I wasn't sure about this restaurant because the menu is long and is not only sushi which was what i wanted. Anyhow we tried it and what a great surprise! We ordered first the Japanese Egg plant marinated with miso and shrimp on top. Just amazing! then we had miso COD, about the most fresh i ever had. Then came the sushi, OMG. Toro (chu-toro) that melts in your mouth, amazing wild king salmon, sea eel (anago) and Uni. One of the best meals I've had. I have eaten sushi in Japan and other top places. This restaurant should be a 5 start restaurant, and at least one michelin star.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/20/2014sushi was excellent and good service, very fresh and tastySpecial Features:
- Babi loves BluefinLeeBabi1Dined on 7/13/2014Beautifully sculpted and arranged Omakae courses arrived in timely manner. All seafood was among freshest I've had in any Japanese establishment and was accompanied by various accouterments which served to accentuate flavor and texture. Hot dishes were perfectly prepared and sauced. Course portions were perfectly sized and spaced as to offer time for personal conversation. Although wine list was not terribly extensive, there were a number of selections to choose from (bottles as well as wines by the glass) which paired well with the cuisine and were fairly priced. Dessert was "Americanized" yet quite delicious. Service was professional and non-obtrusive. All-in-all, one of the best "foodie" dining experiences in recent months.Special Features:
- Best sushi everKaarinaDined on 7/12/2014Bluefin is amazing. Honestly the best sushi I've ever had. Melted in my mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but...TechdollDined on 7/12/2014When I arrived at the restaurant late, my party had already sat down and, I assumed, ordered drinks. After some time, the waitress appeared, asking for our order; I asked her for a drink order first which she took and walked away. She brought my drink and walked away... I realized that I was the only one in my party with a drink order. Even though the waitress had been at our table twice, the never asked the rest of the group if they wanted to place a drink order. Generally, abrupt service without any frills (smiles or follow-ups) and seemingly disorganized.Special Features:
- Delighted1VIPDined on 6/30/2014We love Bluefin!!! Ate there only once but its not because we didn't try. It's a small restaurant but always packed. I would highly recommend, but make your reservations early We thoroughly enjoyed the tuna tartare.Special Features:
- beach goerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014Delicious food: great sashimi:wonderful cooked fish: fun sushi barSpecial Features:
- MameVIPDined on 6/22/2014Second time we have dined here, enjoyed it very much. Will return when we are in the area. Loved the tuna appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, not greatRaquetsprtDined on 6/15/2014Had the special lobster roll, lots of cucumber , rice , very little lobster which was chewy. Sorry guys but this roll was not special. Cucumber salad was very good
- Best Japanese restaurantFaithDined on 6/5/2014I've been to many Japanese restaurants but this is vet authentic and upscale!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 355 reviews are from the Bluefin Restaurant reviews archive.
- Delicious!RoscoDined on 5/31/2014Great fresh sushi. Definitely try the sushi omakase menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhilaFoodiesVIPDined on 5/30/2014Blkuefin was a great find. We were in Lagune Beach for business/fun and thought it would be a nice change from Italian and seafood; it was great. The service could not have been better. The waitress was very patient with us in helping us make our choices and everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Average with high priceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2014Although the sushi chef was good, the wait staff had little knowledge of Japanese food. I have had fresher and better fish at other sushi restaurants at more reasonable prices.
- Sushi.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2014The sushi chef is good. I have had fresher fish.at other sushi restaurants. The wait staff is quite untrained and have no knowledge of Japanese food.
- Bad serviceSammy2014Dined on 5/16/2014From the time we walked in rikko spoke at a very angry and rude with us. When I asked for sushi bar I was told others have reserved it even though the chairs were available. During the entire time I felt offended and we were treated very poorly. I don't recommend this place
- Blue fin Blew us away.SpeedDined on 5/12/2014Great dining experience. Good atmosphere. Will definitely return for more.Special Features:
- Excellent Japanese!LovefoodVIPDined on 5/11/2014The food is excellent here. Incredible variety! I highly recommend the Omakase menu. I wish the ambiance was a bit better and the service too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GREAT sushiausYUVIPDined on 5/3/2014Sushi here is definitely a cut above most others. It's a bit small but the sushi bar is pretty long to make up for the few tables they have.Special Features:
- Best sushi in OCMacbeansDined on 4/17/2014Outstanding sushi! Very fresh seafood and beautiful presentation. Clean and attractive restaurant with friendly chefs and wait staff.
- The finest sushi and japanesetj8746Dined on 4/11/2014The finest sushi and japanese cuisine in orange county and one of our favorite restaurants. Great menu, fabulous service, very helpful. We cant wait to return.Special Features:
- Sushi Stepped UpOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/4/2014Bluefin was excellent. This isn't your typical sushi restaurant. Yes, they have nigiri, sashimi, and rolls, but the specialties are prepared with flare. Try the "live" selections for an adventure. And the saki selections were some of the best we've seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese foods. FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014Great Japanese foods. Fresh fishes and excellent choice.Special Features:
- Outstanding presentations!rmanakaVIPDined on 3/28/2014Bluefin has many unique dishes and an outstanding selection of sake. Hard to find items such as Abalone and Hairy Crab. Don't miss the Bluefin special roll!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but busy little sushi barDrFumblefingerDined on 3/27/2014Wonderful food, prepared by some masters. We enjoyed our meal and had good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.