BlueFin Japanese Restaurant
754 The Alameda
San Jose, CA 95126Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
BlueFin Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bluefinsj.com/
- Phone: 4089316875
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Bar and Lounge: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Happy Hour Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 7:00pm And 10:00pm - 12:00am Happy Hour Saturday 5:00pm - 7:00pm And 10:00pm - 12:00am Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jun Chon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from BlueFin Japanese Restaurant
High ceilings, geometric brickwork, hanging lights, and gracefully curved dining room create a sleekly intimate atmosphere at this upscale Japanese restaurant and lounge. Along with a sushi bar offering the freshest seasonal seafood in town, Bluefin's lunch and dinner menus offer deliciously prepared starters and entrees from noodles, teriyaki and bento boxes to Kobe beef and premium Japanese Wagyu beef dishes. Numerous varieties of sake, original house-crafted cocktails, and a generous sampling of domestic, Japanese and other wines and beers complete your evening. Just a short walk from the Sharks and other events at the HP Pavillion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
BlueFin Japanese Restaurant - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
BlueFin Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (10)great for lunch (9)special occasion (8)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- A bit pricey, but good foodMalibuJonDined on 10/24/2014World Series was on in the bar, affecting noise level and ambience. I'm sure it's usually quiter.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The prices are way over. The competition 1 bulk away is always busy and portions are larger. That unfriendly sushi chef needs to go away.
- Always great food here!RmainzVIPDined on 10/2/2014Service is great.... Food is perfect. Everything coming from the bar is delicious.Special Features:
- Totally outstandingAK19VIPDined on 10/2/2014Great for SAP events. Very friendly bar star and wait staff. Totally recommend it.Special Features:
- Great spot!LaVicDined on 9/27/2014Was in the mood for fresh seafood when taking an out-of-town friend out for a birthday dinner. Bluefin hit it on all marks. Nice environment, great service, wonderful food. I'll be recommending Bluefin to friends and will return myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!SharksFanVIPDined on 9/23/2014BlueFin is our favorite sushi restaurant. Great place for dinner before an event at SAP center. They recognize the need to get you out in time for the event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!EpicureanVIPDined on 9/22/2014Great food, awesome service - an overall great place to dine! The rolls were fresh. Must try the grilled jalepeno/garlic edamame...delish!
- Great group evening dinnerTravelingMichaelDined on 9/18/2014Was very relaxing and only moderately noisy, but certain quiet enough to have a great dinner conversation with co-workers from over the Atlantic. The food was excellent from sushi (nigiri & maki) to the cooked dishes--even the ones that did not care for sushi, they found good food on the menu.Special Features:
- Best Japanese in the neighborhoodKristineDined on 9/12/2014The food - both sushi and non-sushi menu - are consistently good, as is the service. This is my favorite Japanese restaurant in the vicinity because of its proximity as well as quality of the food. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014Took a party of 7 for a birthday dinner. The good stuff: +Interior is great. Clean, upscale, hip. Like sushi restaurant meets W Hotel. +Spicy edamame appetizer was really good. Creative, different and enjoyable. +Oyster shooters were good +Sashimi was fresh and tasty. Sake (salmon) was very good, toro (fatty tuna) was very good, generous slices, but very pricey as it is everywhere. +Cocktails were good +Tempura was fine +Agadashi tofu was good Not as good: -Grilled white fish (cod) was a bit oily, skin wasn't crispy -Portions of grilled fish (both salmon and white fish), though listed as 8oz on menu, looked small -Service, while very sweet and well meaning, was bad. They need to pay more attention to the tables. We'll go again.
- Third VisittoosternDined on 8/9/2014This was our third time dining at Blue Fin and it was consistent. We tried a variety of sushi rolls and tempura and everything was correctly prepared and very artfully presented. When We're in town, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue FinOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014While visiting family in San Jose area, we decided to go to Blue Fin It was exceptional, the atmosphere was intoxicating so stylish and vibrant. The sashimi & sushi were better than the atmosphere, the fish was so fresh and presented beautifully I would drive the 1 1/2 hrs to visit again just to eat at Blue FinSpecial Features:
- The following 216 reviews are from the BlueFin Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great SushiSharksFanVIPDined on 6/7/2014Great sushi restaurant. A favorite place before any game or event at SAP Pavilion. They are great to get you out in time for your event.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/22/2014The food is way overpriced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Terrible ServiceNeilDined on 5/9/2014I have dined in BlueFin previously, but this time the service was exceptionally bad. We placed our order at 7:10; our food was never served. We waited for 40 minutes and then left. During that time, no one informed us why our order was delayed (or possible misplaced?). No one even apologized when we left. I liked the dining experience here in previous occasions, but doubtful that I will go back in the future. Management, if you are reading this review, please get your act together.Special Features:
- WonderfulAgent21Dined on 4/26/2014Bluefin is a great restaurant, very nice and food was excellent, not sure why it does not attract more people, its very modern and hip. We will be back.Special Features:
- Close to the SAP Center and TastyJrcinmsVIPDined on 4/17/2014We go to many Sharks games but had never ventured to this side of the arena...but getting tired of the same choices, we were happy to find Blue Fin. The service is prompt and everything we have tried is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet wednesday night at blue finOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/12/2014this was my second time to blue fin and i liked it better than my first visit. the food was good both times i visited, but this time i liked that it was not as crowded. it was nice to sit and eat without having to feel like i had to yell to be heard and i could hear the music playing in the background. our waitress was attentive when needed, but not hovering. it was a pleasant evening eating japanese food. the wakame salad is one of my favorite dishes and i really enjoyed the tonkastu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The fish was not fresh atOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/1/2014The fish was not fresh at all. It was so fishy and we really felt like it was bad. We eat sushi all the time but someone recommended this restaurant. We were really disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful FishFoodieSJDined on 2/28/2014We're regulars at this great sushi restaurant, and the fish is always top notch!Special Features:
- Good food, but slow getting seatedSteveDined on 2/17/2014We had 6:30 reservations for a 8 p.m. event at the SAP Center and barely made it. We were seated more than half an hour late. The reservation system and front reception area seemed disorganized. We were glad we had an Open Table reservation, because one party that claimed they had called in were told they had no reservation and were turned away. That said, the food was excellent (sashimi) and once we were seated the staff did everything they could to get us out in time for the show.Special Features:
- Service? Hello?JunebellVIPDined on 2/17/2014Dear Bluefin Sushi: I know you were busy the night of the Paul Simon and Sting concert. That's why we made a reservation. But you put us at a teeny, noisy table at the bar facing a bunch of people's butts ... and then told us that if we had wanted to sit in the dining room, we should have mentioned that in our OpenTable reservation. Really? We had to wait for menus because, the maitre d' said apologetically, they were all being used ... probably by the "real" customers in the dining room. We had four or five severs -- never the same one twice. Our requests for more water and even the check went unheeded. We saw a server on two occasions carry saki glasses by gripping them by the rim, where customers put their mouths. Ick.
- Love this placeRmainzVIPDined on 2/17/2014I love going here before attending an event at the shark tank. great sushi!... They serve pretty fast for a crowded sushi restaurant and the quality is extremely high....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be SelectiveBeachyGalDined on 2/17/2014We were so excited to revisit BlueFin after we had a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience before a concert at SAP last year. So perhaps our elevated expectations let us down. The bar was lively and the drinks well poured. My cocktail- Momou- was dry as a martini with essence of peach. I liked it a lot. Our Omikaze entrees had some wonderful bits- tempura soft-shell crab wrapped in a sesame seed wrapper that was terrific- but the rest of the pieces, while very fresh, were unremarkable nigiri. No octopus, tobiko or uni level offerings on the plate. Best bet is to order ala carte items. One diner really enjoyed her uni and tobiko with quail order. The price will add up but you will be sure to get what you like.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sake, disappointing OmakaseJayCVIPDined on 2/14/2014We went here on Valentine's day, hoping for something special. The Omakase sushi was tasty but the selection really disappointed. What is Omakase? You leave yourself in the hands of the chef, letting them send you whatever they want. It's usually the best stuff. Wikipedia says you expect "the chef to be innovative and surprising in the selection". When our plate arrived, it had on it: Salmon, tuna, yellowtail, bbq eel, ebi (shrimp), tamago (egg) and a tuna roll. Or: the cheapest selection of fish possible. We pointed this out to the server, who reminded us that Omakase was the choice of the chef and said these selections were especially fresh today. The fish *was* fresh/good, but innovative? No. Surprising? Yes, but not in a good way.
- Food was FreshMoHilldinerDined on 2/7/2014The Gyoza was great. We were told they are house made. They were tender and fresh. Tempura shrimp could have been more crispy. The sushi was fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/3/2014We asked if we could substitute salad for the soup and was told yes. Our server then delivered us soup. As she was putting it on the table, she saiid "oops, you wanted salad". We never touched the soup. She then returned and told us the manager said he wouldn't give us salad unless we paid for it. My son then didn't get the actual dinner he ordered. We won't go back.
- not authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/31/2014This is an Asian restaurant but not authentic Japanese. It is a beautiful space and we were looking forward to food to match. The quality of the food was poor and the execution of the sushi was below standard. The tempura shrimp in the sushi roll tasted oily and was not crisp. It seemed as if they were cooked prior and held to be put in the sushi before presentation. The gyoza tasted pre-fab and not cooked properly. The bottoms were not crisp as they should be. The shiro maguro special sushi had a nice piece of buttery fish on too little rice. The wasabi was not a paste but more like it came out of a tube. You needed quite a bit to get the nice hot bite.
- Walking distance to SAP CenterLynnVIPDined on 1/30/2014I have gone to the Blue Fin several times before a concert at the SAP Center. It is a 5 minute walk away from downtown to Blue Fin. The food is delicious and the variety amazing. The service is so pleasant and quick. We've never felt hurried, but also never felt we could not make our concert on time. Love coming here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!maryDined on 1/29/2014All 5 of us loved it!! We went to dinner before the Eagles concert at the SAP Center, and we chose this restaurant because it is so close and we only had to park once. Beautiful atmosphere, great service, delicious food (and we had one gluten free and one veggie---no problem at all). Will definitely go back---you will love it!!Special Features:
- Sushi heavenMauiJimDined on 1/20/2014Great place for sushi and well drinks before Sharks gameSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/11/2014This is one of the best, if not The Best sushi restaurant in town. You pay a bit of a premium for the quality but I think it's worth it.Special Features:
- Great, unique food!MistyVIPDined on 1/3/2014BlueFin goes beyond the normal Japanese bento box and sushi roll cuisine. They have special items such as hamachi shooters, kobe beef "sashimi", and toro sushi. It was pricey, but for a special occasion this is fine. The regular rolls and entrees were also fresh and excellent as were the cocktails. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pre-Sharks game!SharksFanVIPDined on 1/2/2014Great place for sushi before an SAP event. Good food & good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentcawineguyVIPDined on 12/27/2013BlueFin never disappoints - always a great experience. The sushi is the freshest in the area, and starting with the Hamachi shooters you know you are going to have a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhRickDined on 12/21/2013To be honest, I've been here several times. Came here with 5 of us for son's 17th birthday this time, we are all sushi fans... and we were quite Underwhelmed this experience. It was a Saturday night, around 7:45p, the place was half empty (which should say something in itself during the holiday season) The food lacked a distinct freshness or flavor (I know sushi, from the greatest chefs insist that sushi not be COMPLETELY fresh), but this food lacked any kind of flair. Maybe it was a bad night. But the lack of patrons there on a Saturday night were a pretty tell-tale sign. Sorry, Blue Fin, but you really need to step up your game! I'm sure I will try again, but at this point there are 4 other sushi places alone in SJ that are ahead of you.Special Features:
- Great service & cocktails, ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/16/2013Went to BlueFin because they were able to handle our 10-person group. The service was great, and we had some very good cocktails. The food came quickly, looked nice, and was made of good ingredients. Some dishes could have used a little more flavor, and some of the fish may have been previously frozen. I'd come back if I had another big group, and might stop by just for drinks at the bar, but if I want top-notch sushi I'm gonna go somewhere else.Special Features:
- Best Bet Before a Sharks GameRobWDined on 12/10/2013Make a resie on OpenTable before any Sharks game because this place is popular. The food is great. The service is quick and friendly. They really appreciate your business and it shows. After a delectable dinner, your walk to game takes five minutes. After the game, stop in for a drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, great experience!MichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 11/11/2013I was truly impressed with this restaurant, its modern look, service, and the food. I had the sushi combo and the sushi was extremely good. For example, the scallop nigiri was extremely tender melt and not tough. The service was attentive. I will definitely be back whenever I visit San Jose.Special Features:
- Really gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2013This was a favorite place. Now service is slow, the offerings underwhelming and overpriced. Save your money and time and look elsewhere for a nice dining experience. We are - and we've given them 3-4 chances to redeem themselves.