Bluefin Fusion Japanese Restaurant
4305 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Bluefin Fusion Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluefinfusion.com/
- Phone: (858) 677-0558
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For all catering inquiries, please contact the Catering Manager at 858-395-8873. We do offsite deliveries to your business for a fast and easy dining experience without having to use your lunch break time.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private backroom that may be reserved to accommodate any occasion ranging from small intimate wedding rehearsals, to a large business presentation, and even casual mixers. Our backroom has the capacity to accommodate as many as 40 people for private dining and 60 if hosting a mixer. For further questions, please contact our marketing manager.
- Private Party Contact: Daniel 8583958873
- Entertainment: We have a special late night happy hour on Fridays and Saturdays from 10:00PM to 11:30PM. Late night happy hour begins at 9:00PM on Thursday with a live DJ spinning your favorite songs.
- Cross Street: Genesse
- Public Transit: Multiple public transportation stops located within and around UTC are available walking distance from the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: It is recommended to come early to ensure adequate time to find parking prior to your reservation, especially during our peak hours of business between 5:00PM to 7:00PM.
A word from Bluefin Fusion Japanese Restaurant
Welcome to Bluefin Fusion Japanese Restaurant, where great food, friendly service and atmosphere is always paramount. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff are committed to ensuring a memorable experience. We feature only fresh ingredients to ensure the highest quality that cannot be beat. Join us at Bluefin Fusion Japanese Restaurant, one of the finest new restaurants in the prestigious city of La Jolla.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bluefin Fusion Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (4)good for groups (4)fit for foodies (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- kabuya06Dined on 10/16/2014I would recommend the restaurant to others due to the outstanding customer service, however, I probably would not return. The prices were a bit high and I experienced an issue with one of the plates.
- Good sushi barStevoskiVIPDined on 10/11/2014The usual suspects and all at a decent price point(La Jolla). The food was all quite well done and presented and all of superior quality.Special Features:
- Great for lunchDaveinCaliDined on 9/3/2014Loved the sushi here. A lot of really interesting rolls packed full of fish. Only complaint was that the "Ex-Girlfriend Roll" had too much crab and not enough tuna. Sashimi was great!Special Features:
- very mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Upscale and good only in looks and the location. Food was mediocre
- Always great!aurelielDined on 8/13/2014I've been going to Bluefin Fusion for a while. I usually go with my girlfriends for Happy Hour. This time we went with family and friends, we were a group of 10. Servers were great, service was fast and we all got out food at the same time. We like how open it is and that it doesn't get to loud even where there is a lot of people!Special Features:
- Poor serviceSallyDined on 7/29/2014Not sure why I keep coming back, but service here is always bad. Had lunch here and 45 min had passed and the one roll we ordered never showed up. Our server was never around to check on us and when we finally waved her down asking about the roll she said it was coming. We wanted to cancel the roll and she had to check if we could since they may be making it...obviously they forgot and she told them to cancel it. The bill also still had the roll listed even though we canceled it. The food is decent and the lunch specials are good, however, service is horrible. Skip Bluefin and go elsewhere for sushi.Special Features:
- The following 38 reviews are from the Bluefin Fusion Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Good food, but lacking in service..JasmineODined on 7/22/2014We went for lunch to celebrate completion of a project. We've been before and had always had a good experience. Unfortunately the service was very slow this day. We arrived at noon and did not leave until 1:40pm. We ordered tiramisu for dessert, based on the description and picture on the menu. It came looking completely different, more like cheesecake. On top of that, when we put the fork through it, it was very firm. After, after tasting it, it was that texture because it was old. I understand they don't make dessert on the premises, but they should not serve if older than a few days. This tasted terrrible, freezer burn, and old. We reqeusted that it be taken off the bill. They happily obliged.Special Features:
- We were here for a group gatheringNatsukoDined on 7/11/2014The research lab I work for had a gathering to celebrate couple of successes we had. I understand that as a big group, it is hard to get people to order and get things started. Our server, Bomi, was very attentive and patient with us. We will definitely consider Bluefin Sushi for our next event. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourrealtorcannonDined on 6/19/2014I enjoy meeting group of friends here. Ambiance is nice and food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunchBusinessUTCDined on 6/10/2014This restaurant is a great location in UTC. The ambiance and food are both of great quality. I left appreciating this choice to dine with my client.Special Features:
- The only ok place open at 9pm SunmangiaVIPDined on 6/1/2014All the restaurants at the hotel were closed so we had to drive here. Not easy to find; not part of the mall. Food was ok. Hubby had no complaints about his Bento Box with Teriyaki Chicken and California Roll. Salmon Skin Salad would've been great if all the skins were crispy, but some of them stuck together and didn't get crisped to begin with, other pieces got drowned in the dressing and resoggified.Special Features:
- sarahVIPDined on 5/14/2014Love the variety of no rice rolls - very flexible when it came to paying the bill. The server was always smiling which was real nice :)Special Features:
- Tons of Delicious RollsrtclikDined on 5/14/2014The assortment of rolls is simply astounding...and all of them I've tried have been amazingly good. Great place for a team lunch or dinner outing where sharing food is fun. Some colleagues found this place after 9 p.m. on a weekday, and it was still hopping with dining traffic long after they got there. The only downside was the service. Took a while to get served, part of our order was misunderstood, and it took forever to get our check, but the food was outstanding...so all forgivable since we weren't in a rush. Overall, a good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/17/2014The noise level was a little loud and hard to hear each other at times. The start of service was wonderful but once the food was brought out & we were asked the quick is everything tasting ok? The wonderful service ended. No plates were cleared we had to flag the server down for our check. This was frustrating considering we were on our lunch hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly goodmikeVIPDined on 3/11/2014When you see the entrance you will anticipate a small unattractive place, but it is quite surprising. The inside is attractive and large. The food is quite good and inexpensive for lunch. Good for business lunch. Wait staff is pleasant. All in all, a good place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden UTC SushiKellyLDined on 2/14/2014It took us a while to find this restaurant, which is in the same parking lot as the UTC mall, and it looks small from the outside, but once inside it is great! It is much larger than expected, great decor and ambiance, and awesome food. And since we went for Valentines Day they gave us complimentary chocolate covered strawberries <3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one good rollPrincetonVIPDined on 2/9/2014I was looking for a casual place, for dinner by myself as I was on a business trip, traveling alone. Conveniently located, walking distance from the Marriott La Jolla, I chose this place. The albacore role was really good, the Torrey Pine role was ok, but the other 2 I tried where very mediocre (rock shrimp tempura and golden tiger roll) at best. I will not come back here.
- Great food, great value andUnimpressedVIPDined on 1/27/2014Great food, great value and service! Took my boss and a new employee there for a business lunch and both were impressed with the amount of food you get in the Bento Box combination. This is the only place I know that lets you create your own Bento Box and we loved itSpecial Features:
- Good optionScottHinsdDined on 1/16/2014Enjoyed the food quality and the great looking waitresses..Good place to go for lunch or dinner. I would recommend the shashimi.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinner!ChelsDined on 12/30/2013The restaurant was absolutely beautiful. I really enjoyed the atmosphere. There were many choices on the menus and a wide variety of different sushi rolls. That was most important to me considering, that's why I came in there! For sushi! I can't remember the names of my rolls. There were so many different names! But I enjoyed both of them. We only drank water but I'm sure the drinks would have been delicious. Our server was nice and quick. He made sure we were taken care of. My boyfriend and I have never been there but We would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant~FusionEaterDined on 12/13/2013Usually the service is the best part about this restaurant (I usually sit at the sushi bar) but tonight they were super busy, and it took a long time to get our checks. However, everything else was amazing as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for all protein mealsGavinVIPDined on 12/11/2013Been eating clean healthy all protein lately, so had the ahi steak with the whole grain mustard, the ahi poke, and the protein roll. All were delicious and very flavorful, will be back for sure.Special Features:
- good for non-authentic JapaneseCloudCVIPDined on 12/6/2013rolls & sashimi are fresh and pretty good. If I wanted hard core authentic Japanese food, I would not go there. but for a regular Japanese style food, it's quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent PlaceNomadDined on 11/30/2013I loved the food. Too bad they dont have any tables by the window, or a great scenary outside that woudlve gone well along with the great taste of the food. exgirlfriend roll is highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a fancy setting, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/22/2013Not a fancy setting, but the extensive menu offers lots of choices and all the dishes we ordered were very good.
- Extremely friendly and A+ sushiLaJollansDined on 11/16/2013Our sushi chef Daniel was outstanding! Very friendly, fresh sushi, generous portions and good service.Special Features:
- Won't return there...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2013Great desserts. Very LOUD ! Can't hold a conversation. Music too loud, Sushi chefs too loud, everyone is talking over the music, so the guests were loud too. The waitress forgot everything. Appetizers came out after the rolls instead of the other way around. The Sake was good but they didn't make that. And it wasn't cheap either and the rolls weren't that great. I've had way better in little whole in the walls sushi places for much cheaper. You don't even get wasabi or ginger with your rolls, we had to ask for that too along with spoons for the desserts and napkins, etc., etc. Even the waitress has to keep saying "What?" to us because it was so loud. And I had to pay extra for tea that was horrible.
- Great PlaceMomsBirthdayDined on 8/10/2013Everything was great! My only concern was that it didn't seem they got my online table reservation, but seats were available at it wasn't an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/31/2013Since Cafe Japengo is around the corner, there is no reason to go back. Fish was alright. Service was haphazard. I would go back in a crunch... but probably not.
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/11/2013Bluefin had great sushi. We ended up getting 3 different rolls (all of which were fresh and delicious), iced green tea and ended the meal with green tea ice cream. The food and service was very good.Special Features:
- Not bad sushi for a mall-basedMJF3VIPDined on 7/10/2013Not bad sushi for a mall-based restaurant. Certainly not my favorite in town, but competently prepared, and reasonably priced.
- Great for our double datejewelhunterDined on 7/6/2013Great atmosphere for what we were seeking as we double dated for dinner before a movie at the Arclight. We gave ourselves two hours and we drank great wine and Japanese beer and grazed on great food...sushi and Japanese dishes. We would most certainly go back and recommended it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome sushi. Really someRonnieBDined on 6/20/2013Awesome sushi. Really some of the best in the UTC Area. Always very fresh, and the sushi chefs don't skimp. It gets CRAZY busy at lunch.. if you need to be in and out in a hurry, I'd recommend getting there at 11:30 when they open, or else it'll end up taking over an hour to get in and out, more so if you have a group. We went at 12:30p, and it took my wife and I 1.25 hrs to get 1 roll and edamame. Insanity. Despite all that, I still love this place, and will continie to go. I'll just plan it a little better when I go for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okMochiDined on 6/15/2013It's ok if you just want to find a restaurant to sit down and eat without any expectation! We are ok with the food but not the service. The lady that served our table was very nice and attentive but the one who delivered the food to our table was poor. She dropped two pieces of food from the plate while she was placing the plate on our table, she just said sorry and then walked away. She did not come back to clean up the mess or exchange the food!:(Special Features:
- Great food. Probably someNoelleBDined on 5/25/2013Great food. Probably some of the best sushi we've had in San Diego!Special Features:
- Not as good as normal :(keepnSDclassyDined on 5/24/2013The staff seemed to be a bit discombobulated which is not normal for this restaurant. Food is normally very good but today they seemed to be a bit sloppy and the rolls were not made as well. Wish I could have given them a better review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2013My first visit to Bluefin and it definitely will not be my last! The sushi was fresh and fabulous... loved it!Special Features:
- good consistent foodPegalaDined on 5/14/2013in UTC with good fresh sushi. wide variety of choices.
- Service Should Catch Up With FoodNikita1569VIPDined on 5/11/2013We really loved the food here! Great apps, rolls and drinks. The sushi is very fresh and the rolls are varied and inventive. Service was disappointing. We ordered appetizers and a bunch of rolls at a small table for 2. They brought all the food out together so there was no room on the table. Should have brought apps, then then rolls one by one. It made for an overwhelming, frustrating dinner that felt very rushed. Hopefully the service will improve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We discovered Bluefin FusionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2013We discovered Bluefin Fusion Japanese because we were looking for a restaurant convenient to ArcLight Cinema at UTC. It was terrific, offering a wide selection of classic Japanese cuisine with some creative twists. We particularly enjoyed the opportunity to create our own Bento box. We look forward to returning!Special Features: