317 Riverside Avenue
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bluebirdbbq.com/
- Phone: 8024483070x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesady - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Matt Corrente
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We happily take Bluebird Barbecue on the road for your special event or corporate catering needs! For our catered events we bring our mobile smoker, creating that authentic smoked meat feel in any location. For more information regarding our catering program please connect with Tara our event coordinator.
- Private Party Facilities: We happily book our 'Rec Room' for private parties for up to 30 guests for both seated dinners as well as cocktail parties. Other areas of the restaurant are also available for larger groups. Please connect with our event coordinator for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 802-825-1006
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 8028251006x
- Entertainment: With nine beers on tap, wine on draft, and a full bar featuring a wide selection of tequila and bourbon Bluebird Barbecue is a great spot for a fun night out. Our large bar and "Rec Room' areas have been outfitted with flat screen TV's, making Bluebird Barbecue the perfect spot to catch the game. The Bluebird Barbecue 'Rec Room' also offers two shuffle puck tables as well as fooseball.
A word from Bluebird Barbecue
Thank you for checking out Bluebird Barbecue where we celebrate American Regional Barbecue with a Vermont twist! Our all natural meats are slow smoked on premises in our 1.5 ton Souther Pride Smoker and are paired with traditional barbecue sauces and sides made from scratch. Relax, unwind, and enjoy southern style barbecue in one of our many dining rooms that can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our menu offers large "family style" platters perfect for group gatherings. During the summer months dine out on our screened, enclosed porch with Winooski River views. Our entire barbecue menu is also available for take-out.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Bluebird Barbecue - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Bluebird Barbecue reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (33)neighborhood gem (28)kid-friendly (25)fit for foodies (25)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (19)special occasion (14)great for lunch (11)scenic view (11)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)Show More
- Good Food at a CostJrnolanDined on 10/18/2014The food was great. I had the 15 hour smoked brisket with smashed sweets, and French fries. I also had the walnut pie for dessert. I feel that the portion sizes were small and the price was high, would recommend for a special occasion but would be too expensive to go regularly.Special Features:
- Fun Family night!ChilmarkGirlDined on 10/18/2014Visiting our son at UVM, wanted to take him somewhere FUN!!! Bluebird Barbecue filled the bill. We had never been before. Great service, fun menu really good food. Great beer list, I had to get beer they only have one white wine from a local winery and it is very sweet. Our server brought me a taste, I immediately ordered beer! We will be back, I just would love to see more wine choices on the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Brisket was very fatty...could not really eat it. Sides were good.Special Features:
- Disappointing...twice.GatorgirlDined on 10/17/2014Service was painfully slow. Waiter seemed oblivious to it, but he CLEARLY was in the weeds. Brisket was less than ok (so dry it NEEDED sauce). Pulled pork was ok and portions were inconsistent (2 of us ordered same thing and one portion was half the other). Roast chicken was good (fortunately asked server to put one aside when we ordered beverages because they ran out before he came back to get our order). Can't imagine running out at 7:00, though. Poor planning on the kitchen's part. This was our second visit, first time was ok, thought we'd give it another try hoping for great, didn't get it. We love Barbeque, but will wait until we travel south where it's done right.
- Great ConceptSarah205VIPDined on 10/17/2014It seems as though it was going to be a great dinner. Place was packed, and people were waiting. The beer options were great; however, the food did not meet expect ions. The food was overly extremely salty, and it basically ruined the food. Portions were relatively small for a BBQ place and the cost of the meal.Special Features:
- One hour waitPhilly73Dined on 10/12/2014My brother has ALS. We made the reservation for 6PM. He only has so much strength at the end of the day, and being served after 7PM was exhausting for him. I booked Bluebird purposely because he loves ribs and I wanted everything to be perfect. Sorry but the long wait just killed the dining experience.Special Features:
- AmazingJanVTDined on 10/12/2014We have been to many BBQ restaurants in our travels. Bluebird ranks amongst the best! Prices are fine, and in fact if you go on Sunday or Monday, they discount the dinners for 2 by $10.00. SO much food we had to bring home leftovers enough for a 2nd. night's dinner. Will definitely place Bluebird at the top of our list for future visits. Oh, and our waiter, THE BEST!! He was friendly, helpful and had a great sense of humor.Special Features:
- Kickback spot, great foodlocalfoodieDined on 10/11/2014Great spot, comfortable, friendly staff, fun vibe, enough variety of food for everyone and it was delicious. Loud enough for groups but fun for just two. Would go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome, as always!ChaseDined on 10/10/2014Celebrated my dad's birthday here after he requested to do so. Had NYE dinner at Bluebird BBQ, had an awesome time then. And an awesome time this visit. My parents are from NJ and rave about it and recommend it to anyone coming up our way. My mom is from TX and says this is the best BBQ she's had on the east coast and tastes like home. Luna was our server and was AWESOME! She was very attentive, and super upbeat! Love our experiences here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was not up to par.aangDined on 10/10/2014When we first discovered blue bird bbq, we fell in love. Food was authentic and delicious and service was great. The last few times we have gone, however it seemed to go downhill food wise. When we went this friday the ribs were extremely dry, you could almost call it jerky, and the brisket was good but did not seem fresh. Overall we left disappointed and might not go again.Special Features:
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Disappointing after what I had heard. Nothing fantastic from the food to the service. The brisket was tough and fatty and the mac and cheese was pasty.Special Features:
- Best BBQ in the NortheastOmarocksDined on 10/3/2014Best BBQ in the Northeast. Hard to find really good BBQ in Vermont, but Bluebird has it. Beautifully smoked meat, great sides. They've added their own touches to make their dishes feel local and out of the ordinary while keeping true to their BBQ theme. Selection of 24 craft beers tops it off. Eat in the back room and enjoy the view.Special Features:
- Good beer, great barbecue!LehighValleyfoodieDined on 9/26/2014We had a great dinner here on a Friday night. My husband had just one beer but it was his favorite, Heady Topper made locally and unavailable where we live. He was impressed with the list of beers on tap. Two of us had the pulled pork and my husband had the brisket. Both were delicious. The french fries were outstanding and the garlic aioli sauce made for a yummy topper instead of ketchup. I'd like to go back and try more!Special Features:
- Love the Bluebird Barbecue!beasty4brisketDined on 9/19/2014We have been dining at the Bluebird Barbecue ever since it opened, and we have yet to be disappointed with the experience. The food is exceptional and the ambience is most excellent. The only real complaint I might profess is how difficult it is to get a seat at the restaurant on occasions. The seats really do fill up quickly; thus, it is quite necessary to secure a reservation.Special Features:
- Yummy!PamelaDined on 9/9/2014As always a great meal with plenty left to take home for leftovers! I feel this is the best bbq in the Burlington area!Special Features:
- Great foodMikeVIPDined on 9/7/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our food here. We stopped in as we just needed a quick place to eat, but we certainly were happy with out choice. The BBQ pork is fantastic.Special Features:
- Great RibsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014We got there in time for the early bird special (before 6). It's a real deal, with plenty of leftovers for the next day. Ribs are excellent with a unique sauce. Do get some extra sauce to take home with your leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedmiddkidDined on 8/15/2014I've been to Bluebird BBQ several times and enjoy trying something different each time! The meat is tender and tasty and the many side options are really the unsung stars! I'd most recommend the burnt ends. Also, the wings are really flavorful if you're a wing fan! My only complaint is I didn't have any room for dessert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBurlingtoner802Dined on 8/14/2014One of the best restaurants in town!!!! I would highly recommend it to anyone who is local or visiting!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service gapkingdomdinerDined on 8/10/2014While the food was great, we were tucked away in a corner and basically forgotten--a wonderful waitress finally came to our rescue. We were not made aware of the specials which I think we would have enjoyed. We drove across the state to experience the Bluebird, I don't think we were disappointed but there certainly was a gap in service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodRahenson1Dined on 8/7/2014I am from Texas and saw the place reviewed as one of America's best places for barbecue. Though it is good and quite possibly (I have not eaten any other barbecue in Vermont) the best in Vermont it is not as highly rated as I might have thought. The brisket was good. The cornbread was ok but not worth the price. My wife said the chicken was not too dry and she liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014We sat on the outdoor patio overlooking the river, drank Hill Farmstead, and ate BBQ. It was awesome. Plenty of space for a 1 and 4 year to run around too. We fed 4 adults with the platter for 2 with two add ons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great placeMotorcycleDined on 7/26/2014The service was terrific, the food delicious and the manager checking on our meal and service a thoughtful touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014we had a great dinner tacos and pulled pork great waiterSpecial Features:
- finger licking goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014I know it's a cliche, but that is how we ended our dinner at Blue Bird. So many yummy sauces on everything.Special Features:
- Outstanding Hipster Barbecuesubguy658Dined on 7/16/2014Had a great experience at the Bluebird. We made reservations for a Wednesday night and I am very glad we did because they happened to be supporting a local charity by giving them 10% of the night's profits and scads of people came to support. We ordered their half chicken and half rack of BB ribs. Both dishes were outstanding, although the ribs were just starting to dry out. The half-chicken was a little small but this was good because we were stuffed anyway. The sides were also outstanding. The pit beans are so thick you can stand a knife up in them. The fries and onion rings were delicious. The server recommended a great double IPA, the Alchemists Heady Topper - local super-favorite. Parking is limited, bring a small car!Special Features:
- First TimersbigskybabyDined on 7/12/2014I heard good things about this place. I ordered the 3 tacos, and chose the brisket, shrimp, and carnitas (pork). The brisket and shrimp were wonderful. The pork was a bit bland, but I just added one of the 3 yummy BBQ sauces on the table. The pit beans were a bit spicy and very tasty, and the guacamole was good. The food is very filling, and I ended up with some to take home. My only complaint is the noise level. It was hard to hear anyone sitting at the table with me. We were inside, so maybe the porch is better? The service was excellent. They answered all our questions about the menu, and the food came out fast. All in all, I would highly recommend the Blue Bird BBQ, and I will be back to try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lpeteVIPDined on 7/4/2014We tried the BBQ for 2: pulled pork, brisket & ribs for the 3 meats & coleslaw, fries, mac & cheese, & pickles for the 4 sides. We loved the pulled pork, coleslaw & pickles. The beer selection is good. The portions were large; we brought home leftovers. Service was good even with a large party in our area. The manager came around to thank guests for coming.
- Just okay, not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014No change to building, dark and dirty Not a true BBQ experience. Food was okay. No flavor to want to come back for. Upon arrival, only 1 person to seat you and she had to set up the table for them, left you waiting too long. Waitress was the best part of the experience.
- The following 149 reviews are from the Bluebird Barbecue reviews archive.
- Great BBQLouisianaladyvtDined on 6/26/2014A wonderful find! I was suprised by the wonderful ambiance and food portions. Absolutely delicious! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, authentic "Q"JbusheyvtDined on 6/14/2014This is the second time I have eaten here and it has been phenomenal each time. My wife and I split the BBQ for 2 special which was $10 off (early bird 4:30-6 pm). Half rack of ribs, generous helping of pulled pork and burnt ends and 4 sides. We got the Mac and cheese, pit beans, pickles and coleslaw. Everything including the sides were top notch. We washed it down with a heady topper and a citizen cider, followed by the brownie dessert. This set us back $55 before tip with plenty of leftovers. Very reasonable and very good! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bestest BBQ in Burlington!YummersDined on 6/13/2014The BBQ here is amazing. The chicken wings were juicy and crisp. Pulled pork was succulent and delicious. The fries with the aioli mayo are out of this world. The brisket could have been better. It was slightly tough. But the ribs and the pulled pork were amazing.Special Features:
- amazing foodnomnomfoodDined on 6/5/2014We were seated promptly after arriving. The staff was helpful with questions and provided a sample of a drink I wasn't sure about. We started off with the pulled pork poutine, which is consistently good. I ordered the half bird with potato salad and onion rings. All were good. I was happily surprised to see heady topper on the list of drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best wings ever!BBQFan05408Dined on 5/31/2014If the family wants wings then I usually just go along with it BUT at Bluebird BBQ it was at my suggestion that we ordered more!!!!! All of the food was delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty BarBQ, not great serviceDtichDined on 5/18/2014our group had most of the barBQ items available. of those the ribs were far and away the best of the offerings. the pulled pork was pretty good as was the sausage. the brisket was pretty dry, which is not unusual for Brisket if it isnt done exactly right or if it has been left to sit for a bit since taken off the smoker. All in all for BarBQ north of the mason dixon line it wasnt bad. Guac very good. The service was not very attentive; nice, but they didnt come around very often. Servings were pretty large, half portions of everything would have been a good option since I think everyone didnt finish even half of their plates.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BBQ in BurlingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014I have enjoyed eating at the Bluebird since they opened. The BBQ has always been and continues to be great. They've started offering burnt ends and they are mighty tasty! If you're not familiar with them, they're the "left-over" ends of beef briskets re-smoked for a deep flavor. We've got to make it for Thursday fried chicken night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Good and the Badfood4evrDined on 5/16/2014Mixed feelings from my party. The burnt ends were not received well, nor were the greens with ham. The pulled pork, ribs, and beans were great. The mac n' cheese was off the chain--super thick and super tasty!! BBQ beets appetizer was misleading, really just a salad with a couple beats. Overall, food was good, service a little better, and ambience perfect for BBQ.Special Features:
- DisappointingCHUCKSTERDined on 5/10/2014The waitress forgot my drink order. The food was not hot. The food was served on a try with paper on it which when I cut my meat ended up on my fork with the meat. The fries were over cooked and stale. The ribs were difficult to cut apart and there was not much meat on the bone. The ambience was left over from the original Mexican restaurant - dark and dingy.
- Good BBQ for VermontBTVNativeDined on 5/10/2014You won't be calling your friends in TX boasting but it's not bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!CaitZDined on 5/9/2014Really nice vegan options! Something for everybody. Great take on BBQSpecial Features: