317 Riverside Avenue
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bluebirdbbq.com/
- Phone: 8024483070x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesady - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Matt Corrente
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We happily take Bluebird Barbecue on the road for your special event or corporate catering needs! For our catered events we bring our mobile smoker, creating that authentic smoked meat feel in any location. For more information regarding our catering program please connect with Tara our event coordinator.
- Private Party Facilities: We happily book our 'Rec Room' for private parties for up to 30 guests for both seated dinners as well as cocktail parties. Other areas of the restaurant are also available for larger groups. Please connect with our event coordinator for more information: email@example.com or ring 802-825-1006
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 8028251006x
- Entertainment: With nine beers on tap, wine on draft, and a full bar featuring a wide selection of tequila and bourbon Bluebird Barbecue is a great spot for a fun night out. Our large bar and "Rec Room' areas have been outfitted with flat screen TV's, making Bluebird Barbecue the perfect spot to catch the game. The Bluebird Barbecue 'Rec Room' also offers two shuffle puck tables as well as fooseball.
A word from Bluebird Barbecue
Thank you for checking out Bluebird Barbecue where we celebrate American Regional Barbecue with a Vermont twist! Our all natural meats are slow smoked on premises in our 1.5 ton Souther Pride Smoker and are paired with traditional barbecue sauces and sides made from scratch. Relax, unwind, and enjoy southern style barbecue in one of our many dining rooms that can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our menu offers large "family style" platters perfect for group gatherings. During the summer months dine out on our screened, enclosed porch with Winooski River views. Our entire barbecue menu is also available for take-out.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Bluebird Barbecue - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Bluebird Barbecue reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (28)kid-friendly (24)great for outdoor dining (21)fit for foodies (20)hot spot (14)scenic view (13)special occasion (13)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Yummy!PamelaDined on 9/9/2014As always a great meal with plenty left to take home for leftovers! I feel this is the best bbq in the Burlington area!Special Features:
- Great foodMikeDined on 9/7/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our food here. We stopped in as we just needed a quick place to eat, but we certainly were happy with out choice. The BBQ pork is fantastic.Special Features:
- Great RibsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014We got there in time for the early bird special (before 6). It's a real deal, with plenty of leftovers for the next day. Ribs are excellent with a unique sauce. Do get some extra sauce to take home with your leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedmiddkidDined on 8/15/2014I've been to Bluebird BBQ several times and enjoy trying something different each time! The meat is tender and tasty and the many side options are really the unsung stars! I'd most recommend the burnt ends. Also, the wings are really flavorful if you're a wing fan! My only complaint is I didn't have any room for dessert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBurlingtoner802Dined on 8/14/2014One of the best restaurants in town!!!! I would highly recommend it to anyone who is local or visiting!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service gapkingdomdinerDined on 8/10/2014While the food was great, we were tucked away in a corner and basically forgotten--a wonderful waitress finally came to our rescue. We were not made aware of the specials which I think we would have enjoyed. We drove across the state to experience the Bluebird, I don't think we were disappointed but there certainly was a gap in service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodRahenson1Dined on 8/7/2014I am from Texas and saw the place reviewed as one of America's best places for barbecue. Though it is good and quite possibly (I have not eaten any other barbecue in Vermont) the best in Vermont it is not as highly rated as I might have thought. The brisket was good. The cornbread was ok but not worth the price. My wife said the chicken was not too dry and she liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014We sat on the outdoor patio overlooking the river, drank Hill Farmstead, and ate BBQ. It was awesome. Plenty of space for a 1 and 4 year to run around too. We fed 4 adults with the platter for 2 with two add ons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great placeMotorcycleDined on 7/26/2014The service was terrific, the food delicious and the manager checking on our meal and service a thoughtful touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014we had a great dinner tacos and pulled pork great waiterSpecial Features:
- finger licking goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014I know it's a cliche, but that is how we ended our dinner at Blue Bird. So many yummy sauces on everything.Special Features:
- Outstanding Hipster Barbecuesubguy658Dined on 7/16/2014Had a great experience at the Bluebird. We made reservations for a Wednesday night and I am very glad we did because they happened to be supporting a local charity by giving them 10% of the night's profits and scads of people came to support. We ordered their half chicken and half rack of BB ribs. Both dishes were outstanding, although the ribs were just starting to dry out. The half-chicken was a little small but this was good because we were stuffed anyway. The sides were also outstanding. The pit beans are so thick you can stand a knife up in them. The fries and onion rings were delicious. The server recommended a great double IPA, the Alchemists Heady Topper - local super-favorite. Parking is limited, bring a small car!Special Features:
- First TimersbigskybabyDined on 7/12/2014I heard good things about this place. I ordered the 3 tacos, and chose the brisket, shrimp, and carnitas (pork). The brisket and shrimp were wonderful. The pork was a bit bland, but I just added one of the 3 yummy BBQ sauces on the table. The pit beans were a bit spicy and very tasty, and the guacamole was good. The food is very filling, and I ended up with some to take home. My only complaint is the noise level. It was hard to hear anyone sitting at the table with me. We were inside, so maybe the porch is better? The service was excellent. They answered all our questions about the menu, and the food came out fast. All in all, I would highly recommend the Blue Bird BBQ, and I will be back to try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lpeteVIPDined on 7/4/2014We tried the BBQ for 2: pulled pork, brisket & ribs for the 3 meats & coleslaw, fries, mac & cheese, & pickles for the 4 sides. We loved the pulled pork, coleslaw & pickles. The beer selection is good. The portions were large; we brought home leftovers. Service was good even with a large party in our area. The manager came around to thank guests for coming.
- Just okay, not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014No change to building, dark and dirty Not a true BBQ experience. Food was okay. No flavor to want to come back for. Upon arrival, only 1 person to seat you and she had to set up the table for them, left you waiting too long. Waitress was the best part of the experience.
- Great BBQLouisianaladyvtDined on 6/26/2014A wonderful find! I was suprised by the wonderful ambiance and food portions. Absolutely delicious! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, authentic "Q"JbusheyvtDined on 6/14/2014This is the second time I have eaten here and it has been phenomenal each time. My wife and I split the BBQ for 2 special which was $10 off (early bird 4:30-6 pm). Half rack of ribs, generous helping of pulled pork and burnt ends and 4 sides. We got the Mac and cheese, pit beans, pickles and coleslaw. Everything including the sides were top notch. We washed it down with a heady topper and a citizen cider, followed by the brownie dessert. This set us back $55 before tip with plenty of leftovers. Very reasonable and very good! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bestest BBQ in Burlington!YummersDined on 6/13/2014The BBQ here is amazing. The chicken wings were juicy and crisp. Pulled pork was succulent and delicious. The fries with the aioli mayo are out of this world. The brisket could have been better. It was slightly tough. But the ribs and the pulled pork were amazing.Special Features:
- amazing foodnomnomfoodDined on 6/5/2014We were seated promptly after arriving. The staff was helpful with questions and provided a sample of a drink I wasn't sure about. We started off with the pulled pork poutine, which is consistently good. I ordered the half bird with potato salad and onion rings. All were good. I was happily surprised to see heady topper on the list of drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best wings ever!BBQFan05408Dined on 5/31/2014If the family wants wings then I usually just go along with it BUT at Bluebird BBQ it was at my suggestion that we ordered more!!!!! All of the food was delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty BarBQ, not great serviceDtichDined on 5/18/2014our group had most of the barBQ items available. of those the ribs were far and away the best of the offerings. the pulled pork was pretty good as was the sausage. the brisket was pretty dry, which is not unusual for Brisket if it isnt done exactly right or if it has been left to sit for a bit since taken off the smoker. All in all for BarBQ north of the mason dixon line it wasnt bad. Guac very good. The service was not very attentive; nice, but they didnt come around very often. Servings were pretty large, half portions of everything would have been a good option since I think everyone didnt finish even half of their plates.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 143 reviews are from the Bluebird Barbecue reviews archive.
- Best BBQ in BurlingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014I have enjoyed eating at the Bluebird since they opened. The BBQ has always been and continues to be great. They've started offering burnt ends and they are mighty tasty! If you're not familiar with them, they're the "left-over" ends of beef briskets re-smoked for a deep flavor. We've got to make it for Thursday fried chicken night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Good and the Badfood4evrDined on 5/16/2014Mixed feelings from my party. The burnt ends were not received well, nor were the greens with ham. The pulled pork, ribs, and beans were great. The mac n' cheese was off the chain--super thick and super tasty!! BBQ beets appetizer was misleading, really just a salad with a couple beats. Overall, food was good, service a little better, and ambience perfect for BBQ.Special Features:
- DisappointingCHUCKSTERDined on 5/10/2014The waitress forgot my drink order. The food was not hot. The food was served on a try with paper on it which when I cut my meat ended up on my fork with the meat. The fries were over cooked and stale. The ribs were difficult to cut apart and there was not much meat on the bone. The ambience was left over from the original Mexican restaurant - dark and dingy.
- Good BBQ for VermontBTVNativeDined on 5/10/2014You won't be calling your friends in TX boasting but it's not bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!CaitZDined on 5/9/2014Really nice vegan options! Something for everybody. Great take on BBQSpecial Features:
- Maple Barbeque SauceHoosierDined on 5/4/2014We had 4 adults and 2 small children and had the Family Reunion. It was a great choice and economical. We had plenty of food and even took home leftovers. The staff was very nice and let us make substitutions to fit our tastes and accommodate the children. We were able to have ribs, pulled pork. brisket, delicious sausage and chicken and 9 sides! We had multiple sauces but loved the maple barbeque sauce. I live in Indiana and I'm wishing I could find a bottle here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How do you run out of ribs?bikerbabeVIPDined on 5/2/2014We went on Friday night, not at closing time but at 8pm. Well after we were seating and had already ordered a cocktail we were informed that they had run out of ribs. This is probably something they should have told us prior to being seated. To make matters worse after we ordered the waitress (who by the way didn't come around much) informed us the 2 sides we had ordered were also no longer available. We made our reservation well in advance so I find it odd they were not prepared for our party to dine on some of their highest rated items. You would think they would have brought us some cornbread on the house or pickles or something to make up for it. But, they didn't. This is a "one and done" for me.
- Great barbecueMikekDined on 5/2/2014Really great ribs and sides everything was great better than redbones if in the area a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014we arrived at 9 o'clock and they were out of several options. The Maple corn bread should be listed as cornbread with maple butter I could not taste maple in the cornbread itself. Overall very attentive staff, good food, but the tables were a little close together.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would not run backluvfood26Dined on 4/26/2014We ate here on a Saturday night but it was not crazy busy, yet our server did not appear for quite a while. After we ordered, our food did not appear for quite a while and arrived COLD. I had the tacos, which seemed to have been "thrown" together and again, cold. My dining companions enjoyed their pulled pork but alas it too was COLD. If someone else is picking up the tab I might return to give it another try.Special Features:
- DinnerShohreDined on 4/26/2014The food was good but it took 55 minutes from the time we ordered to the time we got any food. The side dishes were all cold. The waitress was I guess too busy to pay any attention or apologies for the lengthy wait to get food even though we had a 4 year old with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good barbecueBruceDined on 4/18/2014Food was as expected, well prepared, somewhat distinct, very enjoyable. Unfortunately, by 7:30 on a Friday night, they had already run out of two of the seven main entrees. The music in restaurants main room was unacceptably loud - we could not hold a table-wide conversation. Worse, some patrons near us seemed to revert to childlike behavior, raising noise levels to unacceptable levels. We asked them to please try and keep it under control, just so we could converse. Very difficult situation. Would not sit in the same room again, ever. Wait staff was ok, nothing more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barbeque HeavenHiexpextationsVIPDined on 4/16/2014This was my second visit to Bluebird Barbeque. We were a group of 5 and we tried a lot of what was on the menu. The selection of three soft tacos was delicious, I had the shrimp taco, sweet potato taco and the the brisket, they were all delicious. It was served with rice and beans - the beans were spectacular. Two of our party had pulled pork and it was also delicious as were the ribs. The side orders were also good, the cole slaw and corn bread. Worth a special trip to Burlington to eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Roadhouse.EsbyDined on 4/11/2014The ribs are the star. Hostess and waitstaff were great, friendly, helpful, and helped make the night so fun. The entrees were the best, but sides were typically Burlington. Kale instead of collards, maple syrup in the sweet potato mash? They were sweet! Bread was, a slice of white bread. Excited to see hush puppies!! Turned out they were rolled in sugar and were for dessert. Decibel level in the room we were in was off the charts, but people were having fun, and it's a roadhouse not fine dining! Prices were reasonable especially if you get the barbecue for two or the family reunion.Special Features:
- Great food and beerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2014Went here on suggestion from a friend and ordered the BBQ for 2. They also had Hill Farmstead and Heady Topper for beer. We couldn't have been happier with everything. It was great. We've been telling everyone and will definitely go next time we are in town. Decent value for the money too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Reunion Menu Item Good ChoicShelburniteDined on 3/28/2014Our family of 4 enjoyed the sides and had enough left- over delicious meats to savor the next day for lunch and snacks. It was a great choice as we enjoyed all the different sauces and sides they have to offer. Good, pleasant service, too.Special Features:
- Great bbq. Please fix sides.luvporkfatDined on 3/22/2014Great bbq. Please fix sides. Fried sides ok but mac n cheese is inedible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceRobertDined on 3/22/2014Overall our experience was "okay". Nothing remarkable except the very slow service. I have enjoyed real southern BBQ all over the south. Unfortunately, this isn't it. However, we are in the Northeast, so my expectations were set accordingly, and Bluebird met those expectations; a reasonable attempt at real BBQ. Over-salted, overly-dry meat, weal sweet tea and you get what us native Vermonters "think" is southern BBQ (folks, it isn't even close). Aside from the food, service was really slow. Drink and water glasses were empty for too long, dirty dishes piled up on the table, and our waitress was rarely seen; until it was time to pay the bill. The restaurant failed to "wow", and for that reason we will not likely return anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite as good the 2nd timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2014We first went to Bluebird BBQ last summer and it was great. Good service, great food. This time it seemed to have lost a little bit of its lustre. No hush puppies on the regular menu (only dessert hush puppies) which seems an odd choice for a BBQ restaurant - especially since they were highly recommended last time and delicious. The service was fair - our waitress seemed bored. She challenged a member of our party when they told her that their order was incorrect. I would continue to recommend Bluebird BBQ because the food is very good. Maybe this was just an off night for them? But, do bring back the hush puppies please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.