Blue Wave Bar and Grill
2051 Shelter Island Drive
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Blue Wave Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.islandpalms.com/downtown-san-diego-restaurants/
- Phone: 6192232572
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 6:30am - 12:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm -5:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Christopher Spayde
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Offering over 6,300 square feet of waterfront event space, The BEST WESTERN PLUS Island Palms Hotel can accommodate up to 200 people and provides the ideal setting for the perfect wedding or for your next group meeting, sports group, tour, conference, banquet or special event. In addition to our indoor facilities, our ample outdoor space encompasses lush courtyards and gardens, two pools and spectacular views of our private yacht marina.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Bartholomew 6192220561x321
- Entertainment: Happy Hour is offered daily in the bar and bar patio from 4pm-7pm featuring 1/2 off appetizers and $1 off all drinks!
A word from Blue Wave Bar and Grill
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Wave Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (17)great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (8)kid-friendly (7)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (6)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (3)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DisappointingBirthdayDined on 8/22/2014The quality of food was disappointing, the waitress would have been better at Denny's , as she stood at the end of the table calling out each plate and passing it down to avoid walking that extra step. The restaurant is located inside a hotel, and there is no valet parking. We will not be visiting this restaurant in the futureSpecial Features:
- great serviceMelissaVIPDined on 8/11/2014Tried this only because it was close to Humphrey's but it turned out to be a nice choice. Food was good, not spectacular but good. SService was excellent and the outdoor seating is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View & Service superseded the foodGMBBRKVIPDined on 8/10/2014The outdoor patio overlooks the hotel pool and boat slips - great place to be on a beautiful day. Unfortunately the food was just OK. Our server was attentive and friendly. Will probably just go for drinks next time.Special Features:
- Scenic ViewPammyLuvs2eatVIPDined on 8/1/2014Lovely and delicious dinner with a scenic view of Shelter Island. Great place to dine before our concert at Humphreys. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Bad recommendationNotreallyVIPDined on 7/19/20141st time ever that OPEN TABLE was so wrong Will check much harder in the future reading reviews Party of 8 and no on liked their food Not even close
- Great dinner before the concertMClementeDined on 7/11/2014They have a great menu with concert specials. The food and ambiance was incredible. We had a great time. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual!TrilliumDined on 6/29/2014This has become a regular pre - concert dinner location for us! They have a new prix - fixe menu for concert nights with great selections. I had an excellent crab cake with Cajun remoulade (omg yummy). He had watermelon salad that he thoroughly enjoyed though he was eyeing my crab cake. My husband had the short ribs and I had chicken. The boneless short ribs were amazing with a nice smoked flavor. My roasted chicken was good with mashed cauliflower which I had not had before. Vanilla Panna cotta with fruit completed my meal and was over the top. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his chocolate flourless mousse. We both diverted from our usual choices this time and were still very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly StaffStaffDined on 6/26/2014This was my first experience with this restaurant. The staff was very friendly and helpful. A warm, relaxing dining experience.Special Features:
- Saturday morning breakfastCanadianDined on 6/14/2014Very good service Good omelette and quiche Nice ambiance and scenery if you like looking at all the docked boatsSpecial Features:
- Blue Wave Bar and GrillImaliveDined on 5/31/2014Our server, Justine, was outstanding! She was sociable and informative. Chef's menu was impressive. On Justine's recommendation, we chose the fresh caught sea bass. It was amazing! We loved the cheesecake surprise with a "Happy Anniversary" message written in frosting on the plate. It was so special, unexpected and very touching. We chose an outdoor table. The view of the harbor was lovely and the portable heater was much appreciated once the sun went down. This was our first visit to Shelter Island and also to the restaurant. We hope to be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoccVIPDined on 5/27/2014Since we dine here several times a year, what more can we say?Special Features:
- The following 47 reviews are from the Blue Wave Bar and Grill reviews archive.
- Persistently GoodTrilliumDined on 5/18/2014We found this place several years ago via Entertainment Book. Often we go when I'm in the mood for seafood and ocean/harbor ambiance. It is also a great place to go before a concert at Humphrey's (walking distance). Although the menu has changed over the years, the food is consistently good - both in presentation and taste. Crab cakes were a great appetizer. I had perfectly cooked scallops with a delicious seafood risotto and hubby had salmon with quinoa and he commented that the sauce was excellent. He had a chocolate mousse for dessert and I had an apple pecan tart. He loved his mousse, I just found the tart was a bit dry, but good flavor. (No Creme Brulee or Key Lime Pie this time). Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View, Mediocre FoodSanDiegoManVIPDined on 5/1/2014Nice outdoor deck on the Marina. View of Point Loma, with the sunset behind. Unfortunately mediocre food. The seafood risotto was watery. The apple tart desert had an odd powdery taste to it. If you're a foodie, pass on this.Special Features:
- BlueWaveRicksterDined on 4/20/2014All round excellant restaurant and menu fare. We had the Easter special and was not disappointed at all. The views of the harbor, the choice of eating inside or out, the ambience, all were excellant. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Awesome TimeMightyMODined on 4/18/2014This was our first night in San Diego ever. I'm so glad I found this place online. We met some really nice folks there and enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere. The view of the marina was incredible and so relaxing. And the beautiful sunset was the best way to end the evening. Thank you so much Teresa, our waitress. She was so welcoming!Special Features:
- Delightful surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2014We ate here before a concert held down the street. What a delightful surprise. Their "concert night menu" food was Excellent and the service was terrific - quietly attentive. ATmosphere of being right next to the boat docks was lovely. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation MIA!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2014We don't know if there was a glitch in the system, or if it was the new person working the desk at the restaurant, but she couldn't find our reservation. Luckily, there were enough empty tables that we got one. However, we had a 45 minute wait for our food, which is too long. Our server brought us extra bread to compensate, but REALLY??? The dish I ordered used to be called Hangar Steak and this time was a NY Strip. The quality of the steak was not as good. I don't know why they changed the cut of the meat. My husband's special of the day was salmon stuffed with crab. He liked the taste, but could hardly find any crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hiden gem, great food andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2014Hiden gem, great food and atmosphere. Nice relaxing place, good view, free parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a party of four. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/21/2014We were a party of four. We all enjoyed our food very much, and the service was great.Special Features:
- Nice Place for a romantic evening!PennyDDined on 1/18/2014We had dinner at the Blue Wave Bar and Grill. Great Ahi Tuna steak! Super Mai Tai's and the view is wonderful of the Marina. There is a very nice patio also, we had breakfast here too! Good food with good prices. Nice Wine list too! We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid high quality restaurantDoccVIPDined on 10/15/2013Solid high quality restaurant in a medium price range. We return many times during the year.Special Features:
- We ordered the concert nightFoodieDined on 10/11/2013We ordered the concert night pri fix menu. Service was extremely slow and no one came by to offer drink refils nor bread. We barely finished desert before we had to rush off to our concert. Would not recommend for pre concert dinner. I would only recommend if you have 2 hours for dinner!Special Features:
- dined before a concertlittaDined on 10/2/2013We ate here before a concert at a neighboring hotel. the food was good and service was overall fine. The chicken was tender, important to my husband! Then it was a short walk to the concert venue.Special Features:
- Long Wait2dinersDined on 9/21/2013We waited 35 minutes to be served our order of pepita crusted halibut and portabello- goat cheese ravioili....the waitress seemed to have forgotten about us once we were finally served, as she failed to check with us on how everything was to our liking. The cream sauce on ravioli was bland. The fish was a nice portion and very tasty!Special Features:
- Saturday Breakfastfriday4Dined on 8/24/2013I was trying to find a different place for Saturday breakfast besides Humphreys (where we were staying). I found this on the internet and thought the menu looked good. I made reservations for 10:00 a.m., but found out when we arrived that it wasn't necessary. The patio was busy, but the dining room was not. There was an empty table on the patio, so we took that. It overlooks the boats docked at Shelter Island and it was a beautiful sunny morning. Nice view! Service was good. The omlette was good, breakfast potatoes GREAT!, the toast was warm bread, coffee was good, Bloody Gary was not good.Special Features:
- Great meeting place and lunchGaryDined on 8/23/2013Met friends for lunch. Sat outside. Quiet atmosphere. we were able to visit. The food was very good. Service was prompt and friendly. I will return.Special Features:
- Great On-Site RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2013This in site restaurant is highly recommended - open for all meals, it serves interesting as well as expected food! This is a nice spot in a beautiful place - onc on shelter island, it is nice to be able to get good food on property. It has a nice bar with good bar food - the tots are great - a large portion which can easily be shared. They have flatbread there with interesting toppings - a very clever chef. The restaurant had great seafood and steaks - the hanger steak and sea bass were both really good. I had the clam linguini and enjoyed it as well!Special Features:
- Nice viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2013Stayed at the hotel and decided to give breakfast a try. It was a late service and we were seated inside next to the window. Nice view of the marina. Most of the patrons were outside since it was a great morning. Ordered quiche of the day with country potatoes and my spouse ordered French toast. It was spinach quiche which was good. The French toast was cooked just right. Not asked for more coffee until we were done with our meal, although the food came out in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They have changed the menuDoccVIPDined on 5/28/2013They have changed the menu and removed my favorite go-for-that-reason dish of bits of various fish in a linguine dish. Do these things happen because they do a study on just which dishes are ordered the most or is it just at the whim of the new chiefs?Special Features:
- Great restaurantDisappointedDined on 5/17/2013Wonderful food, menu options, and service. All of it was excellent.Special Features:
- No wayluv2dineDined on 5/10/2013Service is slow. Menu is overpriced to a comedic level. No on-site parking. Entrees are lacking in every category. We cannot think of any reason to go back and we don't understand how this place ended up on Open Table to begin with. We were definitely suckered in.
- Would not overlap lunch andGreatVIPDined on 3/23/2013Would not overlap lunch and breakfast service at all.
- The chef was willing to prepareDoccVIPDined on 1/19/2013The chef was willing to prepare a linguine dish with salmon and shrimp for me, which is not on the menu. It was delicious!Special Features:
- I was dining with someoneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/1/2013I was dining with someone that can be difficult and demanding. The wait staff handled her with ease. Very professional.Special Features:
- New Year's Eve last minuteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012This was a last minute dinner reservation before a New Year's Eve party in Point Loma. The food was decent with reasonable prices however portions are fairly small compared to other similar restaurants and drinks are on the high side. We had the filet mignon and sea bass which were seasoned well however I wished the potatoes and asparagus were more than just boiled/steamed. The seating weren't too tight and sound level was moderate. The only real gripe I had was how long it took to get our drinks, bread, and dinner with the restaurant only half full and not busy. Overall, it was a decent experience.Special Features:
- Hidden But Worth the EffortOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012The Blue Wave Bar and Grill has a very nice location with views that look out over the Shelter Island marinas. The restaurant has a mellow, warm feeling and a menu that should satisfy most diners. Service was relaxed and friendly, prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- The Blue Wave is a hidden gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2012The Blue Wave is on Shelter Island boasting of a nice marina view...so we decided to try it. I was given a window table by the attentive staff, and we started out with the Poke’s Taco appetizers. The ahi was fresh, they were served with seaweed garnish, ponzu sauce, wasabi and ginger—a very flavorful combination. I ordered a palate-pleasing holiday meal with clam chowder, a nicely cooked rib eye steak, garlic potatoes, and steamed vegetables. My date ordered a moist and flavorful Chilean Sea Bass dinner with steamed vegetables and new potatoes. We finished with a tasty crème brulee large enough to share--although she only wanted ‘one bite’, she quickly changed her mind. Great food, prices and ambience--I will come back.Special Features:
- It was just the right spotBOS2SANVIPDined on 12/25/2012It was just the right spot for breakfast overlooking a marina. The service and server Robin, was excellent. While I had the eggs benedict (which had overcooked eggs) my husband had the regular 2 eggs, etc. The overcooked eggs were taken care of by our server. Excellent customer service in doing the right thing. We both enjoyed our meals and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Wonderful Find in San Diego, CAOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2012We made a reservation here from past reviews And convenience as we just came back from a 3 Hour Sail on the Ocean. This Wonderful New Found Favorite Of ours wil now be on our " Must Visits" when back to San Diego Ambiance at night in the Fall on deck was romantic With Heaters at your back for warmth ...Service was Impecable from greeting to Seating ordering and proffesional kindness from Wait Staff. The Food .... Wow!! We started with Crab Cakes .. while waiting we were served our Drinks and a bowl of Fresh Warm bread and Flavored Whipped Butter. We commented "we could just have warm Bread" YUM.;) Crab Cakes were served with Some salad Garnishes. very well made! Main Courses were the Seared Scallops and Chicken dish . DeliciSpecial Features:
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/19/2012Very average. Slow service and ok food. Steak was pretty poor but the desert was delicious.