Blue Water Grill
31 Union Square West at 16th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Water Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluewatergrillnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126759500
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
Monday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Join us for live music 7 nights a week starting at 6 pm nightly. A sure way to jazz up your dinner date!
- Special Events: Blue Water Grill is available for full restaurant buyouts, or partial buyouts in the Upper Mezzanine or either of two lower level dining rooms - the Jazz Room and the Bank Vault Room.
For more information about our event spaces, contact Special Events at 212-675-9500 or email email@example.com.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
- Cross Street: 16th Street
- Public Transit: L, 4, 5, 6, N, R, Q & W trains to Union Square/14th Street. M14, M1, M2, M3, M6 & M7 buses to Union Square/14th Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public garage located on 16th Street between 5th Avenue and Union Square W Hotel. Street parking in area.
A word from Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill, a Zagat favorite year over year, is a seafood and sushi dining destination in the heart of Union Square. Loyal guests and visitors alike are drawn to the former Metropolitan Bank space with chandeliers that illuminate the bi-level dining room, a café perfect for people-watching and a lower level lounge and dining room with live music 7 nights a week. The menu highlights the freshest seafood daily, with innovative offerings at the Sushi Bar and composed dishes coming out of the kitchen. Blue Water Grill is also known for Sunday Brunch overlooking the Union Square Greenmarket.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Water Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
466 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (189)neighborhood gem (181)special occasion (178)great for outdoor dining (175)great for lunch (136)good for groups (132)great for brunch (120)romantic (115)hot spot (97)notable wine list (64)vibrant bar scene (63)late-night find (38)scenic view (23)kid-friendly (19)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014As good as always. Fresh, on time with great service
- sustained greatnessLarryBVIPDined on 10/16/2014This restaurant has been around for years yet still maintains the feel of a newer trendy place. The space, housed in what was formerly a bank, is replete with fine architectural details. The upstairs is relatively quiet, great if you like to converse. Food was very good, drinks were great (passion fruit cosmos) and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Night in NYCbrasildanDined on 10/11/2014If you are looking for a great meal and do not mind spending a bit of money this place is well worth it. The food is perfectly prepared and they have a variety of cocktails and wine. This place is not cheap on the portions either. It is a classy and sophisticated spot in the bustling area of 14th Street and Union Sq. If you want an elegant meal full of flavor and an ambiance to match check this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious EscapeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014Blue Water Grill is a great place to venture to when you need an oasis from the bustling city. We had the deviled eggs taken to another level with the addition of lobster meat. The shrimp dumplings accompanied by a sake-plum sauce was enough to stave our ravenous hunger...for just a few moments. My Ginger-Soy Lacquered Chilean Sea Bass was exactly what I'd been craving without knowing. Go there. Now! Your tastebuds will thank you!Special Features:
- Great dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Blue Water Grill is always fantastic. Though the only wrinkle this time was that they were out of my first two choices for Champagne. Otherwise they're excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Water Grill is amazingsfo112Dined on 10/9/2014Everything about the Blue Water Grill was perfect -- service, ambiance and especially food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!operafan141VIPDined on 10/8/2014Whether a business lunch or an after theater dinner with friends, Blue Water Grill is a great choice. Their food is always well prepared, innovative and delicious. The service is polished and extremely helpful - everyone goes above and beyond to make dining an enjoyable experience. And it is truly wonderful to have a meal with friends where you do not find yourself shouting at one another over an abusive sound system! We will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around enjoyableKatrielVIPDined on 10/8/2014Outstanding, gracious service--from the moment we walked in the door. Grilled mushroom appetizer was a remarkable study in contrasts; the halibut was tender and perfectly rendered. They honored my request for a quiet table, and it was a rare pleasure to be able to actually see and hear my dining companion while enjoying a first-rate meal.Special Features:
- Good Service and Food ...LaureneDined on 10/5/2014We've been in NYC for 3 weeks and have enjoyed many delicious meals in the $$$ to $$$$ price range. We'd highly recommend Blue Water Grill (Union Square). As a converted bank the architecture is interesting but comfortable (marble and great details), but most notable was the service and outstanding seafood. We started with the Shellfish Tower and moved on to salmon and red snapper. The entrees were moist and seasoned well. The sweet potato 'hash' was my favorite (amazing). No room for dessert ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch, as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/5/2014Although when we first arrived at noon, the staff didn't seem to quite have their act together (maybe someone called out), it quickly improved, and as usual, they were more than accomodating. Every request was met, they were friendly and welcoming, and we loved being able to enjoy a cool but sunny day on the outdoor balcony under the heat lamps! Brunch was delicious!Special Features:
- ConsistentlouiseDined on 10/4/2014Always delicious and great service! Like dining outdoors under the heat lamps.... Quieter so you can hear dinner conversation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurantAngieDined on 10/4/2014Renovated bank so the place is very nicely decorated. The food was delicious with the fish being very fresh. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious MealfoodlovinlizzyDined on 10/3/2014Blue Water Grill is consistently delicious. The seafood is always delicious, and the Chilean sea bass is always one of my favorite dishes of any restaurant in NY.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Disappointed with physical space- low ceilings and tight tables. Disappointed with Baked Scallop sushi roll. Sweet potatoe hash was cold and lacked seasoning. Tuna loin was four inches long and 1 inch think- more an app than main course- and lots more bread. But please ask the staff to put on two clothes.
- Special placedeGislainVIPDined on 9/29/2014It is a special restaurant with great atmosphere and a wonderful "sea bass" dish. The service is friendly and efficient. It is difficult not to enjoy a meal at the Blue Water Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/29/2014Ordered the shrimp cocktail and didn't feel it was very good. There were four shrimp that were small and seemed previously frozen...and too expensive at $16. Kale in the Kale Ceasar Salad was a little tough. Miso sea bass was delicious.
- It's AlrightmeekaVIPDined on 9/28/2014Good spot to have brunch/lunch on weekends. Our waiter brandon was such a sweetheart he made sure everything we asked for we got it , whether it was him bringing it or someone elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alfresco TreatMarkushaDined on 9/28/2014The outdoor dining is at it's best on Union Square, watching the scene at the Diner across the street, and the Farmer's market. We had Brunch on Sunday morning, and had to wait until noon for our drinks to be served, claiming NY Blue Laws. By the time the drinks came, food was done and we were ready to leave. Plan your Brunch timing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great food, really nice service and enjoyed eating outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014The food was good but we didn't see a bite for the entire first hour.Special Features:
- DisappointingBethNYVIPDined on 9/23/2014I've been to the restaurant before, but we went this time due to BR Guest email for oyster special. Second time these email advertisements were 'bait & switch'. Food took an hour to arrive (ps we didn't even get bread until waiter brought our food). Sushi roll not great. Usually a great restaurant.
- Good food, great serviceoperafan141VIPDined on 9/23/2014We enjoyed a very long lunch at Blue Water Grill and never for a moment were we made to feel that we had overstayed our welcome. The food was wonderful - the aroncini and shrimp dumplings are great, the Seafood Salad is delicious, and the deserts (a peach sorbet and the robiola cheesecake) were fabulous.Special Features:
- Green Market Neighbor Has PotentialFun2eatDined on 9/23/2014This seafood restaurant is next to the Union Sq. green market and an ocean: I look forward to inventive and interesting vegetarian options. Union Square Cafe never got right. Blue Water can do better. Non animal meals should be priced accordingly.Special Features:
- Still Love It!Luv2eatVIPDined on 9/21/2014The Blue Water Grill is still my favorite restaurant for Sunday Brunch. The staff, from the bartenders to the servers really go out of their way to make sure you are enjoying yourself. Last Sunday, I tried the French Toast for the first time. It was delicious! My husband had the Chicken Cobb which he enjoyed also. Our server, Richard was excellent. He was attentive, answered all of our questions about the menu and made sure we were happy with our meals when they arrived. As always, the wine list is quite impressive. Now, if they would just bring back the Fried Calamari........Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014i have attened all of steve hanson's resturants through out the city starting with park avalon. blue water grill is a wonderful resturant that i use to frequent regularly when i worked in the grammacy park area. we went there last weekend to celebrate my sister's birthday and my upcoming brithday. we enjoyed our brunch very much. all was prepared as ordered and all the dishes were very tasty. i am sorry i am retired now so i don't get a chance to be at the blue water grill more often. i will definityly try to go the next time i am in the big apple.Special Features:
- Great experience overallbugsviewsDined on 9/20/2014I read great reviews about this restaurant and decided to give it a try for dinner with friends from out of town. The food was great and the ambience is excellent. The call-in reservation worked well at first but when I called to push the time back one hour there was nothing available until 9:15 p.m. I went online and reserved a table in the main dining room at 7:45 p.m. We arrived on time and waited about 10 minutes to be seated. Our waitress was a tad rude, responding to a question by pointing at the menu and saying, "it comes with what's written there." Thankfully another waitress who was waiting other tables went above and beyond and cheerfully helped us while Ms.Rude was nowhere to be found. We tipped Ms.Rude accordingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectGRUBBDined on 9/19/2014We had a splendid dinner. The waiter was informative, attentive and sociable. The food was impressive throughout the meal, and the wine pairing couldn't have been better. Recommended to all.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperiencepriscillajaneVIPDined on 9/18/2014We sat outside along the sidewalk and it was flawless as far as being able to enjoy the feeling of sitting outside but also catching the energy of the restaurant. Our server was just the right level of present. Food was excellent. Really looking forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is fresh and good.InTheNabeDined on 9/18/2014All of the fish is fresh and simply, but thoughtfully, prepared. You can be indulgent or have a healthy meal and either will be tasty.Special Features:
- Excellent SeafoodChrisDined on 9/18/2014The seafood variety is exquisite. The portion is just right and the service is wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 9/14/2014we have been many times - hence, the review that we like it! The bathrooms are located WAY downstairs - trouble negotiating steps would keep many folks away!!!!! BTW, on Sept. 14 at nite, I received a notice "we are confirming your reservation for brunch" - otherwise a wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodNinjaDined on 9/13/2014This was my wife's and I first time there and to sum it up we will go back many more times. Everything was great!Special Features:
- KuishinboDined on 9/13/2014My friends who have been there in the past said that the food was better in the past. I had seafood salad. Considering that this was a seafood restaurant, the seafood wasn't as fresh nor flavorful than expected. The waiter was very friendly. We were with a friend who was visiting from out of town so we were able to catch up in a quiet and non-aggressive service (the current, let me take your plate away while we are not finished just because we are talking).
- Fresh seafoodMaRKVIPDined on 9/12/2014The menu is fresh and good especially when you are looking for seafood. I like the atmosphere which is an old marble majestic bank building. The service is not serious, but relaxed and efficient. We have been many times and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brandon the waiter !!!Server85Dined on 9/11/2014Btw this is my first ever review that I'm writing anywhere about restaurants because usually when I don't like a restaurant i just don't go back there again but in this case I Been here before and I like the food & the place so I will go back again but this waiter Brandon gotta go.He had very poor approach and he seemed very irritated with his job.First of all I was ordering food and he was walking away from the table, he was picking stuff up from the floor while taking our order(& no it wasn't a pen)etc etc. I'm in the same business, yes it gets hectic I know but at least when a costumer leaves & tells you good night, it's nice to respond back and greet them back... P.S. Oh and by the way, I left him a 20% tip regardless of his effort!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014***************Always wonderful!********************Special Features:
- Only thing missing - ocean viewJG12Dined on 9/10/2014This place is spot on with attentive service, above average food and great ambiance.Special Features:
- Always a Great ChoiceYummyAllAroundDined on 9/10/2014Blue Water Grill is a great experience every time. Quality food. Quality service. Great atmosphere. Have never had a complaint.Special Features:
- Still goodShuttermanDined on 9/9/2014Have not been there in years but had the opportunity this week to meet a customer for lunch. Since I work midtown Union Square isn't a lunch location. BWG still got it. The staff is very nice and the service is top notch. More important my seafood salad which included crab meat, scallops, shrimp and avocado over greens was just terrific. It was cold, fresh and with just enough dressing to bring out the flavors of the food without being greasy. My guest who eats there often fully enjoyed his salmon and spinach. We were seated outside by our request which gave the business lunch more of a casual feel. I want to go back now for another crack at that salad!Special Features:
- DiPaganiDined on 9/8/2014Starters were very tasty. Main course was good, my Halibut needed some salt but was still tasty. My wife had the blackened Sword Fish which was very good. $20 Cabernet by the glass was also very good. Server was very friendly and accommodating. Ambiance was great also. I would return soon.I would recommend this to a friend.