Blue Water Grill
31 Union Square West at 16th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Water Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluewatergrillnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 675-9500
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
Monday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Join us for live music 7 nights a week starting at 6 pm nightly. A sure way to jazz up your dinner date!
- Special Events: Blue Water Grill is available for full restaurant buyouts, or partial buyouts in the Upper Mezzanine or either of two lower level dining rooms - the Jazz Room and the Bank Vault Room.
For more information about our event spaces, contact Special Events at 212-675-9500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
- Cross Street: 16th Street
- Public Transit: L, 4, 5, 6, N, R, Q & W trains to Union Square/14th Street. M14, M1, M2, M3, M6 & M7 buses to Union Square/14th Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public garage located on 16th Street between 5th Avenue and Union Square W Hotel. Street parking in area.
A word from Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill, a Zagat favorite year over year, is a seafood and sushi dining destination in the heart of Union Square. Loyal guests and visitors alike are drawn to the former Metropolitan Bank space with chandeliers that illuminate the bi-level dining room, a café perfect for people-watching and a lower level lounge and dining room with live music 7 nights a week. The menu highlights the freshest seafood daily, with innovative offerings at the Sushi Bar and composed dishes coming out of the kitchen. Blue Water Grill is also known for Sunday Brunch overlooking the Union Square Greenmarket.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Water Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
429 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (185)neighborhood gem (175)special occasion (168)great for outdoor dining (145)good for groups (135)great for brunch (109)romantic (104)great for lunch (102)hot spot (87)notable wine list (59)vibrant bar scene (53)late-night find (29)kid-friendly (18)scenic view (18)Show More
- Been going for over 10 years-never had a bad meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/27/2014Great restaurant, I've sent many people here over the years and everyone is always pleased with the food! Always prefer the 3rd floor the Jazz room as expected can get very loud hard to chat. The food is well priced for what it is; for being such a huge restaurant the staff is very attentive. Enjoy! My family and I have for many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classy diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/26/2014Had dinner with friends from California. They were impressed with the ambience and food. The waitress doesn't seem to be having a nice evening though for some reason. She wasn't smiling at all. Anyways, the pricing is on the high side. Definitely, a place for a special occasion or celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RediscoveredOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2014I last went to Blue Water Grill 8 years ago and had a memory of a great evening in a great space with terrific food. Happy to say that last night the same things were all true. The appetizers (special,tempura sushi, special scallops, and a mushroom dish that my friend ordered) were all delicious and we received excellent ordering recommendations from our server. Main courses (sea bass, swordfish, salmon and a chichen dish) were equally tasty and throughout the meal we were served with exactly the right amount of attention. I don't know why I left it so long!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and service, festive atmosphereevelynVIPDined on 11/22/2014Decor is bold and noise level above average, but there is a celebratory mood about the place that is appealing. You can also find a relatively quiet spot where the noise is not intrusive. The food was excellent from the supremely fresh and beautifully seasoned raw tuna appetizer to the crisp-skinned salmon on bok choy and the swordfish entrees. The flour-less chocolate cake was a treat. Service was prompt and attentive. We plan to visit again the next time we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.albanelly1900Dined on 11/22/2014Had not been there in a couple of years. Glad to have returned. Loved it. It was very is to make a reservation online. We were greeted very nicely at the entrance and seated promptly. Food and service was great. Nice environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tres bien je recommande!FafaDined on 11/19/2014je suis allée deux fois dans ce restaurant lors de mon sejour a NY la nourriture est res bien nous etions 6 la premiere fois sushis en entrée et un plat chacun vins de grande qualité. La seconde fois nous avons mangé en sous sol il y a vait un groupe de jazz c 'etait tres sympa par contre nous avions choisi des sushis en plat direct et c était un peu epicé mais de bonne qualité. Je vous le recommande !!Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/19/2014Bland, institutional food that's nothing special and a dining room that could do with a refresh, including a lick of paint and perhaps a little cleaning. Service is pleasant. The downstairs room is more appealing. Upstairs, it's business, bridge and tunnel, and bachelorettes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip the dessert courseIlTenoreVIPDined on 11/18/2014... and order more appetizers. We were celebrating a special event and remembered Blue Water Grill from several past brunches. Servers were delightful, and we dined on appetizers and small plates (deviled egg with lobster, arancini, butternut squash soup, beef tartare, spiced butternut squash soup, sweet potato hash with crabmeat), all delicious. Also split a half bottle of Krug to celebrate, and it was priced fairly. We pushed our luck, feeling festive, and tried dessert. The "signature" pumpkin cheesecake was okay, but wasn't enhanced by the mincemeat topping. And the gelato was simply awful; I would have sent it back, but my partner is too polite -- he just chopped it up and left it, instead. Hard balls of iced-through gelato, clearly scooped and held well in advance; flavors impossible to confirm. Enjoy their seafood-themed menu, and skip the sweets. I'd have given another star if not for the desserts, which were both fails.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely surprise!karenedeeDined on 11/15/2014The raw oyster selection was the reason I chose this restaurant. I was very pleasantly surprised by the other menu items, ie. crab toasts and market greens salad. I expected the typical field greens and was very impressed by the combination of greens, farmer's market vegetables, and a dressing that complimented the ingredients. Great location to union square, walking distance from several hotels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem of a WaiterBarbLDined on 11/15/2014Not our first visit to Blue Water....and certainly not out last. Our Waiter Jordan was outstanding, knowledgeable, sincere, appropriately funny...he's a keeper and a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening!shs81alumDined on 11/15/2014We loved everything about our dining experience - the food, the service, and the ambiance! The tuna ceviche was the best I've ever had, and the filet mignon melted in our mouths. Topping everything off - our banana tower dessert was awesome! We can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great and our server was outstanding.MYHDLDined on 11/14/2014My husband and I truly enjoyed the food, the outstanding service, the ambiance and the "above and beyond" customer service.Special Features:
- Will definitely be back!LeslieDined on 11/14/2014Went to BWG before a show so we arrived early on a Friday night. Were immediately seated, service was excellent. Shared some oysters, and an octopus appetizer that was delish. Had the blackened swordfish and halibut for entrees and both were excellent. Decor was festive (already set up for Christmas) and very elegant. Can't wait to go back. When we left the restaurant at 7:30, there was quite a line to get in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureRedLeilaDined on 11/14/2014The food and service at this restaurant continue to impress. I asked for a table big enough to spread papers on for a lunchtime meeting, and was given a booth upstairs by a window that could have been held for a party of four, very much appreciated. Impeccable sushi, faultless seafood salad, both perfect. Not rushed, no trying to upsell, just courteous, warm, professional service. As ever. How do they maintain such consistency?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Portions A La Carteluv2dineDined on 11/11/2014This was our first time in NYC and the referral came from a banker-friend. I knew the price tags would be high; however, I did not know that the portions would be so small. Our service was impeccable! The upstairs' dining was recommended to get away from the noise, but the heat factor was greater. I swore that the wine I received after being given two taste tests was NOT the wine I chose AND it was $5 more per glass ($16.00). Our server could not tell me if she saw it being poured out of the same bottle. She was gracious enough to send it back, but not without making me feel like I was the nutty one...not to mention that I was also the one spending $ 250 on dinner! If you like hoighty-toighty restaurants...this is the one for you!Special Features:
- Consistently enjoyableNYCtravVIPDined on 11/10/2014The formula works with good food, atmosphere and service. Sushi adds to the choices of fresh seafood prepared with knowledge of how best to enhance each fish.Special Features:
- DisappointinggingerDined on 11/9/2014After passing Blue Water Grill many times, and loving the name, the blue awnings, and outdoor tables, we invited friends for brunch on a chilly day that required us to go inside. The restaurant is beautiful. The noise level is very high. The servers seemed a bit disinterested, as if in need of table turn-over. The food was average. I paid in cash in large bills, the waiter took what amounted to a 30% tip and disappeared without asking if I wanted change, which was fine, but I would have liked the choice. An okay place, but no better than any of the other spots around Union Square.
- perfect settingJanetDined on 11/9/2014I was taking out a former beloved employee and her mom who came in from Ireland. Blue Water Grill was the perfect setting for Sunday morning brunch. it had the right amount of patrons, excellent service and good food. I will certainly come back again.Special Features:
- As always great seafoodTirianVIPDined on 11/7/2014I come here a handful of times per year and I have always received fantastic service and great seafood at good prices. Their wine list could use a little bit of a re-haul but you'll always find something.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014Always consistently high quality seafood. Warm and friendly service!Special Features:
- Reliable as ever for good seafoodQuentinDined on 11/6/2014Excellent sushi and sashimi but miss the great variety of fish Excellent, attentive service from a charming waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experiencegastrotouristVIPDined on 11/2/2014We were hungry for fish.So glad we chose the Blue Water Grill with great oysters, fish and seafood. The winter salad was outstanding- -escarole, radicchio with thinly sliced root vegetables lightly but flavorably dressed. Someone put a lot of thought into sourcing and composing that salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BMWBev65Dined on 11/2/2014Always awesome! The sushi was amazing! It is one of my favorite places in Manhattan and the prices are so reasonable.Special Features:
- Always on pointJoechDined on 11/1/2014The food is always delicious and fresh! I have never had a bad meal at Blue Water. All I have is good things to say about this restaurant. I will see you again soon. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceEnriqueDined on 11/1/2014Excellent food and service - Overall very good experience! This was our first visit there, but will certainly go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good bye, NYCflgrlDined on 10/28/2014I chose Blue Water Grill for my last night in NYC. I invited my cousins - everyone had a different dish and all was scrumptous!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lion1Lion1Dined on 10/27/2014Everything was excellent. We arrived 45 minutes early and were taken care of immediately. The meal was not rushed at all. We were allowed to spend a considerable amount of time with our drinks when we indicated we wanted to have some time before ordering. We ordered swordfish and halibut and bot were excellent. The banana tower that was recommended for dessert was outstanding. The moderate priced wine that had been recommended was right on target for our meal. I have always enjoyed this restaurant and this last visit showed that the high standards I am used to have certainly been maintained.iSpecial Features:
- Excellent!ChewyDined on 10/27/2014Love the mashed sweet potatoes with lump crabmeat! Our server was fabulous. A very enjoyable dinner!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portionsloti1512Dined on 10/26/2014I enjoy the food and ambience ay blue water, espe ially inside near the windows. However the service the last two. Times I was there was spotty. Compared to other fish restaurants in the city the portionds of fish are small.
- sunday family get togetherFRANNYDined on 10/26/2014we were a group of 6 and everyone was happy. The service,drink and food were all outstanding.Special Features:
- ServiceFluffyDined on 10/26/2014Our server could not have been more friendlier, knowledgeable and accommodating. He was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationDougalDined on 10/25/2014Had wonderful crispy skin Scottish salmon and the best mashed potatoes!Special Features:
- There was no lobsterUnionSquareEaterDined on 10/25/2014The lobster and shrimp roll was grossly over priced and just plain bad. There was no lobster at all. It tasted like cold shrimp. But at least I didn't have to worry much about its distaste because there were only four bites, the rest was just big pieces of lettuce and the roll.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Appetizers were not served prior to entrees, but manager apologized, served along with meal free of charge, and also compted wine. Food was delicious. We were pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table for 4MarshaVIPDined on 10/22/2014Perhaps because I am an Open Table VIP they gave me a table for four, even though there were only two of this. I greatly appreciated this. That is the real way a restaurant can make you feel welcome. The food is great, except the hamachi, and it can get a little loud. But for the overall feeling of the evening, the generosity with the table on a rainy night made it fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok....OakesyDined on 10/21/2014Booked a long time in advance for a 'special occasion' meal with my family. Very disappointed to be seated right next to the door to the terrace therefore getting blasted with cold air every few seconds. Seafood stack was good but the service was very slow and inattentive. Expensive for what we had. Not very special at all.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTEXCELLENTDined on 10/19/2014EXCELLENT IN EVERY CONCEIVABLE CATEGORY OF RESTAURANT EVALUATION.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceSeafoodieDined on 10/19/2014Everything qaa perfect. Attentive staff and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the jazz room!NotableVIPDined on 10/18/2014We ate in the jazz room, always loved Blue Water and decided last minute with my husband & son. They are always prepared with a children's menu! My husband had filet minion and I had the sea bass which has always been good! We were a little disappointed with some menu changes, always loved the ceaser but they changed it to Kale ceaser which I dislike and don't feel they need to be trendy with that and they should stick to some classics. Also the lobster bisque was changed to butternut squash, being that they are a seafood restaurant they should always have that as a staple item even if they decide to bring in a seasonal soup. Loved the Florida sushi roll that was taken off the menu as well. The band and the cozy ambiance made the night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too CrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014For the amount of people that they pack into tight spaces, one would think the food would be stellar. Instead, it was only ok and my girlfriend's salmon was undercooked.