Blue Water Grill
31 Union Square West at 16th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Water Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluewatergrillnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126759500
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
Monday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Join us for live music 7 nights a week starting at 6 pm nightly. A sure way to jazz up your dinner date!
- Special Events: Blue Water Grill is available for full restaurant buyouts, or partial buyouts in the Upper Mezzanine or either of two lower level dining rooms - the Jazz Room and the Bank Vault Room.
For more information about our event spaces, contact Special Events at 212-675-9500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
- Cross Street: 16th Street
- Public Transit: L, 4, 5, 6, N, R, Q & W trains to Union Square/14th Street. M14, M1, M2, M3, M6 & M7 buses to Union Square/14th Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public garage located on 16th Street between 5th Avenue and Union Square W Hotel. Street parking in area.
A word from Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill, a Zagat favorite year over year, is a seafood and sushi dining destination in the heart of Union Square. Loyal guests and visitors alike are drawn to the former Metropolitan Bank space with chandeliers that illuminate the bi-level dining room, a café perfect for people-watching and a lower level lounge and dining room with live music 7 nights a week. The menu highlights the freshest seafood daily, with innovative offerings at the Sushi Bar and composed dishes coming out of the kitchen. Blue Water Grill is also known for Sunday Brunch overlooking the Union Square Greenmarket.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Water Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
466 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (181)special occasion (176)great for outdoor dining (174)neighborhood gem (170)great for lunch (141)great for brunch (126)romantic (112)good for groups (110)hot spot (80)vibrant bar scene (56)notable wine list (54)late-night find (38)scenic view (19)kid-friendly (18)Show More
- foodieDined on 9/14/2014we have been many times - hence, the review that we like it! The bathrooms are located WAY downstairs - trouble negotiating steps would keep many folks away!!!!! BTW, on Sept. 14 at nite, I received a notice "we are confirming your reservation for brunch" - otherwise a wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodNinjaDined on 9/13/2014This was my wife's and I first time there and to sum it up we will go back many more times. Everything was great!Special Features:
- KuishinboDined on 9/13/2014My friends who have been there in the past said that the food was better in the past. I had seafood salad. Considering that this was a seafood restaurant, the seafood wasn't as fresh nor flavorful than expected. The waiter was very friendly. We were with a friend who was visiting from out of town so we were able to catch up in a quiet and non-aggressive service (the current, let me take your plate away while we are not finished just because we are talking).
- Fresh seafoodMaRKVIPDined on 9/12/2014The menu is fresh and good especially when you are looking for seafood. I like the atmosphere which is an old marble majestic bank building. The service is not serious, but relaxed and efficient. We have been many times and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brandon the waiter !!!Server85Dined on 9/11/2014Btw this is my first ever review that I'm writing anywhere about restaurants because usually when I don't like a restaurant i just don't go back there again but in this case I Been here before and I like the food & the place so I will go back again but this waiter Brandon gotta go.He had very poor approach and he seemed very irritated with his job.First of all I was ordering food and he was walking away from the table, he was picking stuff up from the floor while taking our order(& no it wasn't a pen)etc etc. I'm in the same business, yes it gets hectic I know but at least when a costumer leaves & tells you good night, it's nice to respond back and greet them back... P.S. Oh and by the way, I left him a 20% tip regardless of his effort!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014***************Always wonderful!********************Special Features:
- Only thing missing - ocean viewJG12Dined on 9/10/2014This place is spot on with attentive service, above average food and great ambiance.Special Features:
- Always a Great ChoiceYummyAllAroundDined on 9/10/2014Blue Water Grill is a great experience every time. Quality food. Quality service. Great atmosphere. Have never had a complaint.Special Features:
- Still goodShuttermanDined on 9/9/2014Have not been there in years but had the opportunity this week to meet a customer for lunch. Since I work midtown Union Square isn't a lunch location. BWG still got it. The staff is very nice and the service is top notch. More important my seafood salad which included crab meat, scallops, shrimp and avocado over greens was just terrific. It was cold, fresh and with just enough dressing to bring out the flavors of the food without being greasy. My guest who eats there often fully enjoyed his salmon and spinach. We were seated outside by our request which gave the business lunch more of a casual feel. I want to go back now for another crack at that salad!Special Features:
- DiPaganiDined on 9/8/2014Starters were very tasty. Main course was good, my Halibut needed some salt but was still tasty. My wife had the blackened Sword Fish which was very good. $20 Cabernet by the glass was also very good. Server was very friendly and accommodating. Ambiance was great also. I would return soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location and wonderful foodGaryWGVIPDined on 9/8/2014The location next to Union Square is very good. The food and service were outstanding. The noise level was moderate allowing for easy conversation and the tables were not on top of each other. We had a booth which was lovelySpecial Features:
- ShiraVIPDined on 9/6/2014Consistent good food as you'd expect. Waiter was excellent and food arrived quickly, which was great because we were starving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average and a bit noisy.CitydinerDined on 9/5/2014Waitress was a bit abrupt. It was often hard to hear one another talk. Menu was very basic and food was average.
- Great service, food but a bit hotfeldfamDined on 9/5/2014We really enjoyed our meal and evening. Service was great. Food great . But it was a hot night in NYC and the restaurant AC could not keep up. We had the misfortune of sitting in the upstairs and it was stifling !Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014We had fantastic experience at Blue Water. My cousin who is a local recommended it and I am not sure we would have found it without the rec. Service and food were exceptional. Our server, whose name I can't remember (from Slovakia), was extremely personable and detailed about the food. I would definitely recommend this restuarant to any travelers heading to NYC.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodfoodloverVIPDined on 8/31/2014The special sushi roll was delicious. We shared it as an appetizer. Each of our main courses were wonderful. We had the Arctic char; sea bass; and veal chop. We were all more than satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for seafood?NYFoodieDined on 8/31/2014Well prepared fish. Reasonable amount of options on the menu. You can order fish with fancy sauces/embellishments or plain. Waxed beans with almonds were yum, as were the French fries. We ate dinner there, would imagine the ambience perfect for brunch.
- marymargaretta1marymargareta1Dined on 8/31/2014we had lunch outside and let me tell you it was outstanding. the seafood tray was so fresh I can still taste the ocean in my mouth. blue water grill you rock and that is why we return time and time againSpecial Features:
- BeautifulCazzaDined on 8/31/2014This was my second visit here and it was just as good. Went for Sunday brunch and wax very good value as cocktails and coffee were included with the classic dishes. Beautiful food and impeccable service. Lovely surroundings. Put it on your lust if you haven't beenSpecial Features:
- DrLeeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Blue Water Grill is a first-class operation. Seafood is fresh (we had good, basic Lobsters). Liquor is classy, wine-choices pretty good for a place that does major tourist business. The interior (former bank) is pleasingly overdone, and the tables are not close together (except on the porch, which has other advantages) Servers are well-rained, pleasant, moderate-key. Desserts are a mild disappointment, but coming to this restaurant for dessert doesn't make a lot of sense. Good for a serious date even/especially if you've been married for 20 years. We ALWAYS have good vibes here...Special Features:
- Again the bestMouseVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have been here so many times and always a perfect experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent service, great food and ambience; highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely mealFrankOfBrooklynVIPDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I went to Blue Water Grill for a date. If you sit on the street side, despite the railing and because of the raised porch, you are sitting at eye level with passers by. It's a little disconcerting, but we enjoyed it. Our waiter was cheerful and charming. I had the octopus a la plancha, a mushroom special, and the hamako crudo. My wife got the kale salad and an arctic char special with "fairytale eggplants". Maybe it's me, but I couldn't taste anything about the hamako - just the lovely oil it was in and the cherries and celery leaf on it. The kale salad was delicious, but too heavily dressed. The fish and a special dessert were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is so inventive!108NYCDined on 8/28/2014Love that they have small plate choices. Some of them sushi and rolls (served cut up) with a very well seasoned sauce and of course soy sauce. I had the succulent lobster roll With a glass if sake-- again I was really empresses by the good selection. Hadn't been here for a long time and was delighted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodcfoodlvrDined on 8/27/2014Love this place. Awesome food, great service and on a nice night it can be just lovely for outdoor diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot has changedCTFoodiesDined on 8/27/2014When I come into NYC to see an old friend, we have been lunching at the Blue Water Grill and have always enjoyed it. This time, however, the menu had completely changed; gone were our favorites, Lobster Bisque and the shrimp spring rolls, and the serving of the lobster and shrimp in the lobster/shrimp roll had significantly decreased. The crab cake BLT was a bit charred on the bottom of the crab cake as well. While the food was good, it was no longer a treat. The exception was the shrimp dumplings. They were delicious with a spicy/sweet sauce. I did, however, feel that three dumplings was a bit scant for the price. The service has not changed and that was very good; quick and responsive to requests.Special Features:
- Can't go wrong.Ide1043Dined on 8/26/2014Great date spot. Excellent seafood,great service. The wine wS great. The outdoor seating is amazing. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014I've been a fan of BWG for years as a venue to indulge in quality seafood for a fair price. The ambiance is casually elegant, and the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANOTHER VISIT TO THE GRILLSHARPKNIFEVIPDined on 8/23/2014Out second visit to the Blue Water Grill was fine. The menu was a little limited but our dinner went well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marie GraceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014My salmon was pale and tasteless. My guests had the crabmeat benedict which they said was good. The AC was on and blowing cold air at our table which was uncomfortable. The manager said it was on a thermostat and could not be controlled. Overall disappointing!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Have lived in the area since 1989 then moved to Zeckendorf Towers seven years ago. The proximity makes it convenient, but convenience does not determine dining. My first choice was when Snapper was on the menu. This has not been available for a long time. Otherwise the my choice of "Stars" gives an answer. Suggest you should attract the Banking Executive crowd, but the noise level is too high. Regards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live2eatDined on 8/21/2014Great server. Didn't rush us. Delicious food: duver scallops and blackened fish. Table outside on a cool summer night. (That part was lucky timing.) Outside is better than in for noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with out of townersGourmantVIPDined on 8/20/2014Nice to have lunch. We were cordially greeted by hostess who seated us in the perfect it. Inside the doors but not in the heat outdoors. The sushi menu looked so good we all ordered suchi. Cool for a hot summer day. Love Blue Water ambiance as well. Nice anytime, but lunch and brunch are special. Great service, with a smile.
- Service is DeadJohnCastellanoDined on 8/20/2014Waiter was training another waiter. Slow to come to table, tried to constantly up-sell, no bread, not drinks, table next to us was seated and served before us. A restaurant can only survive so long on reputation, this restaurant has gone down hill. I will not be running back. Union Sq Café in same area- same issues...Special Features:
- NiceHoopsluvrDined on 8/17/2014Decent food, nice ambience. Waiter was professional. We haven't been back for a few years because of a prior issue and we weren't disappointed this time. Much better the 2nd time around. My wife loves seafood and it was my daughters birthday so we figured, why not? Food was decent. A little pricey, but not a everyday dine. A much better experience than last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marymargareta1Dined on 8/16/2014had the absolute best dinner thank you we are coming back for brunch in two weeksSpecial Features:
- Special OccasiontotallyimpressedDined on 8/15/2014Went to celebrate my niece's 21st birthday. The service and food were excellent and they went out of their way to make the dinner special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was edible, but will only be remembered for the fact that it could have been better. As we dined there the thought that recurred in my mind most was that this food was nothing that I could not have cooked at home with more flavor. I don't plan on returning, it was one of those nights when I wished I would have gone elsewhere!
- nancyVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was my 4th or 5th visit to Blue Water Grill and it was less pleasant than before. My friend had the Maine lobster and shrimp roll and I had the seafood Cobb salad. The lettuce in both dishes was extremely wilted. The ladies room in the basement was deplorable. When I entered at 3:30 there was paper on the floor, the waste paper container was overflowing, and the wash basin had rust stains at least 5 inches in diameter from the faucets. For restaurant of this caliber to allow a stain to develop to that size causes me to wonder what else is being ignored, especially in the kitchen sanitation department. Management, you need to replace that sink and faucet immediately and inspect the premises for other signs of neglect.
- FAB Food!!!TimOLimoDined on 8/15/2014Waiter was great! So busy that the wait was unreasonable a 1.5 hour lunch that should have been 50 mins. 30 plus mins till we were served apps.. every morsel was stupendous. i Will be going again have always loved this spot.I would recommend this to a friend.