Blue Water Grill
31 Union Square West at 16th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Water Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluewatergrillnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126759500
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
Monday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Join us for live music 7 nights a week starting at 6 pm nightly. A sure way to jazz up your dinner date!
- Special Events: Blue Water Grill is available for full restaurant buyouts, or partial buyouts in the Upper Mezzanine or either of two lower level dining rooms - the Jazz Room and the Bank Vault Room.
For more information about our event spaces, contact Special Events at 212-675-9500 or email email@example.com.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
- Cross Street: 16th Street
- Public Transit: L, 4, 5, 6, N, R, Q & W trains to Union Square/14th Street. M14, M1, M2, M3, M6 & M7 buses to Union Square/14th Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public garage located on 16th Street between 5th Avenue and Union Square W Hotel. Street parking in area.
A word from Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill, a Zagat favorite year over year, is a seafood and sushi dining destination in the heart of Union Square. Loyal guests and visitors alike are drawn to the former Metropolitan Bank space with chandeliers that illuminate the bi-level dining room, a café perfect for people-watching and a lower level lounge and dining room with live music 7 nights a week. The menu highlights the freshest seafood daily, with innovative offerings at the Sushi Bar and composed dishes coming out of the kitchen. Blue Water Grill is also known for Sunday Brunch overlooking the Union Square Greenmarket.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Water Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
471 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (182)special occasion (181)neighborhood gem (174)great for outdoor dining (172)great for lunch (151)great for brunch (135)good for groups (114)romantic (111)hot spot (76)vibrant bar scene (60)notable wine list (57)late-night find (40)kid-friendly (21)scenic view (20)Show More
- Can't go wrong.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Great date spot. Excellent seafood,great service. The wine wS great. The outdoor seating is amazing. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014I've been a fan of BWG for years as a venue to indulge in quality seafood for a fair price. The ambiance is casually elegant, and the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANOTHER VISIT TO THE GRILLSHARPKNIFEVIPDined on 8/23/2014Out second visit to the Blue Water Grill was fine. The menu was a little limited but our dinner went well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marie GraceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014My salmon was pale and tasteless. My guests had the crabmeat benedict which they said was good. The AC was on and blowing cold air at our table which was uncomfortable. The manager said it was on a thermostat and could not be controlled. Overall disappointing!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Have lived in the area since 1989 then moved to Zeckendorf Towers seven years ago. The proximity makes it convenient, but convenience does not determine dining. My first choice was when Snapper was on the menu. This has not been available for a long time. Otherwise the my choice of "Stars" gives an answer. Suggest you should attract the Banking Executive crowd, but the noise level is too high. Regards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live2eatDined on 8/21/2014Great server. Didn't rush us. Delicious food: duver scallops and blackened fish. Table outside on a cool summer night. (That part was lucky timing.) Outside is better than in for noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with out of townersGourmantVIPDined on 8/20/2014Nice to have lunch. We were cordially greeted by hostess who seated us in the perfect it. Inside the doors but not in the heat outdoors. The sushi menu looked so good we all ordered suchi. Cool for a hot summer day. Love Blue Water ambiance as well. Nice anytime, but lunch and brunch are special. Great service, with a smile.
- Service is DeadJohnCastellanoDined on 8/20/2014Waiter was training another waiter. Slow to come to table, tried to constantly up-sell, no bread, not drinks, table next to us was seated and served before us. A restaurant can only survive so long on reputation, this restaurant has gone down hill. I will not be running back. Union Sq Café in same area- same issues...Special Features:
- NiceHoopsluvrDined on 8/17/2014Decent food, nice ambience. Waiter was professional. We haven't been back for a few years because of a prior issue and we weren't disappointed this time. Much better the 2nd time around. My wife loves seafood and it was my daughters birthday so we figured, why not? Food was decent. A little pricey, but not a everyday dine. A much better experience than last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marymargareta1Dined on 8/16/2014had the absolute best dinner thank you we are coming back for brunch in two weeksSpecial Features:
- Special OccasiontotallyimpressedDined on 8/15/2014Went to celebrate my niece's 21st birthday. The service and food were excellent and they went out of their way to make the dinner special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was edible, but will only be remembered for the fact that it could have been better. As we dined there the thought that recurred in my mind most was that this food was nothing that I could not have cooked at home with more flavor. I don't plan on returning, it was one of those nights when I wished I would have gone elsewhere!
- nancyVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was my 4th or 5th visit to Blue Water Grill and it was less pleasant than before. My friend had the Maine lobster and shrimp roll and I had the seafood Cobb salad. The lettuce in both dishes was extremely wilted. The ladies room in the basement was deplorable. When I entered at 3:30 there was paper on the floor, the waste paper container was overflowing, and the wash basin had rust stains at least 5 inches in diameter from the faucets. For restaurant of this caliber to allow a stain to develop to that size causes me to wonder what else is being ignored, especially in the kitchen sanitation department. Management, you need to replace that sink and faucet immediately and inspect the premises for other signs of neglect.
- FAB Food!!!TimOLimoDined on 8/15/2014Waiter was great! So busy that the wait was unreasonable a 1.5 hour lunch that should have been 50 mins. 30 plus mins till we were served apps.. every morsel was stupendous. i Will be going again have always loved this spot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LunchAnnHDined on 8/15/20143 friends who had a lot to talk about, met over a delicious lunch. The restaurant week menu was excellent, diverse & ample. Service was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient and we all enjoyed our dishes. It was agreed as we left the restaurant, Blue Water Grill was a great choice (mine) and our lunch was all we hoped it would be.Special Features:
- Really disappointing.VillageRegularDined on 8/15/2014I brought guests from another country here for a business lunch, and the service was terrible. The staff behaved as though we were being unreasonable to expect decent, well-paced service. There was a broken wine glass on the table; the wine took 20 minutes; taking our order took 30; the captain put in all our food together without asking us so that the starters and the main arrived at once; it took another 45 minutes to get any food at all, and we were repeatedly told it was on its way up when it clearly wasn't. My seafood cobb salad had old lettuce and was mediocre. The server clearing the table bumped the diners with the dirty plates. Coffee was another 20 minutes. Barely an apology. At least comp the wine! Never again.
- The food was goodDrewVIPDined on 8/14/2014The service was not that great I actually consulted a manager because it took so long for drinks to arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue is the real dealLoveFoodDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant week made it possible for me to try this spot. The hostess, wait staff were very attentive even though the place was full. My food came to the table with the right temperature which made experiencing the food even better. The wait was very forthcoming with recommendations that did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST RESTAURANT!nycrestaurantluvrDined on 8/14/2014This is by far one of my favorite restaurants in NYC! The service was more unbelievable than one could imagine. Even while I was walking to the restroom, the staff would smile at meet and say hello. The host made sure I found my table when I was leaving the restroom without even asking. I was having trouble deciding what to order and I had said to the waiter (Hunter) can I have a few more minutes to decide. He was so kind and patient and asked if he can help me in any way. He made recommendations based on my preferences and what I ordered could not have been better. The atmosphere in the restaurant is beautiful and the staff could not have been kinder. I can't wait to go back to the Blue Water Grill! Thank you so much for such a nice lunch!Special Features:
- DisappointmentDisappointingDined on 8/14/2014We went to Blue Water Grill during NY Restaurant Week and with high expectations and anticipation and were greatly disappointed on a lll fronts. Food was totally unoriginal, not well seasoned, and all similar offerings. Additionally it was ALL room temperature. The service was friendly but so lightening fast that we didn't dare put down our forks. Also our waitress removed plates before we were finished. Would not return at any priceSpecial Features:
- Fantastic food and serviceaas395Dined on 8/13/2014Went here for a restaurant week dinner this week and was impressed with both the food and the service. I had the pork chop and my date had the snapper, and both were absolutely delicious. We also had a seat near a fairly busy intersection for the waitstaff and I couldn't help but notice how professional and efficient they were at all times. I'm a big fan. I hope to come back again soon.Special Features:
- DisappointinggeeshoreVIPDined on 8/12/2014We sat outside because the inside of the restaurant was noisy and cold. Most women seated inside were wearing sweaters, despite it being a warm humid night. The salmon entree was very petite and over cooked, despite my request for it to be cooked medium rare. The Halibut entree was also overcooked, but at least the portion was a bit more generous. The clams on the half shell were fresh and tasty. This restaurant appears to have gone downhill since I had last eaten here several years ago.
- Mediocre service - disappointeddeGislainVIPDined on 8/12/2014The service was mediocre. There were too few waiters upstairs and they did not seem happy to be working the late hours (8:30 pm). Appetizers did not come together and the only excuse we got was to blame the "kitchen". Just based on the service I would not come back even though the sea bass if always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014We sat outside and I would definitely recommend it. Blue Water Grill continues to be my go to restaurant for a great dinner and special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all around expirienceMrLuv2dineDined on 8/12/2014We where trying to find a nice seafood restaurant before the show and we're glad we found this one. Great ambiance, very good food and presentation of the dishes, nice jazz band playing at the right volume and friendly professional service. The host that checked us in was a little dry but still it was a overall great experience.Special Features:
- NancyDined on 8/12/2014Food and service excellent, but too noisy. Loud voices, clatter and music too much, making it difficult to hear and talk.
- GREAT Restaurant Week lunchMaestraKKVIPDined on 8/12/2014I was happy to see several choices offered. Delicious fresh peach salad (from the market, the wait person said), and really good trout (it was between the two fish on the menu). The cauliflower puree around the fish (more like cauliflower cream) was heavenly -- I could have eaten a whole bowl of that! They were kind enough to give me my dessert to go -- decided to just skip plating it and eating one or two bites before asking to take it with. It was the lemon ricotta cake, again with a wonderful sauce, and lots of fresh berries -- it was terrific at 10 that night after my show when I was actually hungry again. Glad I got to experience this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish Fish FishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Great fish. Good wine list. For all the head-sets, I found the service to be a little spotty as the night wore on. Signature cocktail great.Special Features:
- pretty place...MrsLBDined on 8/11/2014The place is beautiful. The food was okay, I was not wowed by anything but maybe it was because I was getting the restaurant week special. The dessert was underwhelming. I did try oysters for the first time and I would try them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodgreatcatchDined on 8/11/2014Blue Water Grill had a great Restaurant week menu and I enjoyed each item. I also appreciate it accommodating my 9 month old niece as well. My whole family had a great experience.Special Features:
- So-soLongtimeDined on 8/11/2014The portions were small. The price was more than I anticipated, but not by much. This has been one off favorite NYC restaurants for 20years, but I won't rush back. The cost did not accurately reflect the experience.
- Wonderful ServiceVFieldingVIPDined on 8/10/2014Went for early brunch, our waiter was wonderful, even as the restaurant became busy, he and the others were very attentive. Loved that they made a drink for me--the Rye Smash--that was no longer on the menu but the bartender made it anyway and it was perfection. Going back first chance we get.Special Features:
- awesome shrimp dumplinglivetotasteDined on 8/9/2014Got a seat right away..and waiter took our order without rushing us. The shrimp dumplings are simply amazing.. I would have ordered that alone and wine. Didn't care for the macaroni and cheese dish..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible serviceweekendbrunchDined on 8/8/2014had a very disappointing evening here. I shared my concerns (quite a number of them) with the manager and I am awaiting an email response.Special Features:
- Great choiceFineDinerDined on 8/8/2014I had an early dinner with a friend at Blue Water Grill. I arrived early and was greeted pleasantly and ushered to an outdoor seating area even though my friend wasn't with me yet. That was really so nice. I ate off of the Restaurant week Menu, which was terrific. Service was great, and the outdoor seating offered a nice outdoor experience and view of Union Square Park. It was terrific, and I was sorry when we were done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week LunchjfoodieDined on 8/8/2014We had lunch at the Blue Water Grill during Restaurant Week. The meal was wonderful and the waitress and staff were excellent. The ingredients were of high quality. The food was delicious. The dishes were a bit inventive, which was refreshing, and the subtle mix of somewhat unusual combinations of ingredients worked very well. For a prix fixe lunch at a well known restaurant, the portions were very generous. Overall, it was a highly enjoyable experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- longtimefanDined on 8/7/2014Although the food was good I did not find it amazing. The service was okay but not amazing. The restaurant, as usual, was noisy and chaotic but overall the atmosphere is energetic and fun and I still enjoy coming to dine here.Special Features:
- buenprovechoVIPDined on 8/7/2014great service, fresh and fanciful seafood and top nothc drinks. BWG just gets better with age!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeShortyluv25Dined on 8/7/2014Have been wanting to try this place for a while so I took advantage of restuarnt week. Had some type of pork chop and it was ehh the maki roll and shrimp tasted decent, service was real nice don't know if I'd return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/7/2014Food was terrific--the fried swordfish maki was the best I have ever eatenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.