Blue Sushi Sake Grill
1616 16th St.
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Blue Sushi Sake Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluesushisakegrill.com/locations/
- Phone: 3036403655
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brandon Kalfut
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Blue Sushi Sake Grill
Blue Sushi gives traditional sushi an American attitude. Do you like your sashimi, nigiri and maki straight up? No problem. Want something a little different? We’ll entertain your palate with something unexpected, such as our signature edamame hummus or black tuna.Continued
Blue also offers Asian-inspired cold plates, hot plates, entrees, soups, salads and desserts.
Blue also offers Asian-inspired cold plates, hot plates, entrees, soups, salads and desserts.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Sushi Sake Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Lodo SushiLuluDined on 4/26/2014Good sushi, friendly servers, easy parking (across street) and lively atmosphere make for a pleasant dining experience. Close enough to Pepsi Center for a pre-event meal. Seasonal, outdoor sidewalk seating. Inside of restaurant can be cool, due to AC. Getting the bill may also take a while, so ask well before you're ready to leave. I recommend the restaurant and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Happy Hour MenuMicahDined on 4/6/2014Went on a Sunday at 6pm and happy hour lasted until 8pm; there were many appetizer, drink, and sushi choices on the happy hour menu that were very affordable. Our table of 4 had a lot of fun and the service was very friendly. The sushi looked and tasted good. Get the Blue Crunchy or whatever, that was my favorite. I'll probably be back for a fun date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for all taste budsSS220VIPDined on 4/3/2014We are vegetarian and they have a great selection of unique and tasty vegetarian sushi as well as other options. They also have an expansive selection of sake.Special Features:
- Sushi perfection!Rivott41Dined on 4/3/2014Great menu,happy hour specials and sushi. The crowd on the night I went was diverse. Great atmosphere for small or large gatherings. The only thing I didn't care for was the film of fish playing on loop and the small aquarium next to the bar. I find that a little sadistic .Special Features:
- Great happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2014Blue Sushi is our go to spot for sushi. The happy hour menu is expansive and well worth the effort of heading downtown. We tend to gravitate towards the appetizers and nigiri (cherry bomb is the best!), but the rolls are pretty good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great time!mountaingrlDined on 3/28/2014we had a great time! service and food was great and they were very accommodating to our large group! next time we are in Denver and want sushi we will defiantly return!!Special Features:
- Happy Hour DelightMendozaVIPDined on 3/22/2014Great place for Happy Hour. HH menu is a scaled down version of their main menu, so you can definitely make a meal out of it. Recommend HH is you are looking for reasonably priced sushi and with a friendly wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi with a twistFkybDined on 3/21/2014Not your standard sushi place, but good. The rolls were interesting and tasty as were the drinks. We came in early (530) for happy hour with 2 tween kids. It was comfortable for our family but still on the hip side. Happy hour was a great deal and the servers were super nice and helpful. Probably wouldnt bring kids there after 7 as it was more bar-ish.Special Features:
- This place is not a traditionalFoodinistaVIPDined on 3/19/2014This place is not a traditional sushi restaurant -- the focus is on rolls rather than nigiri. It's fine; nothing special. If you want high-quality, more traditional sushi, there are better options.
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014I have walked by this place several times but I've never actually stopped by until now. I read the reviews online, looked at some photos, and decided to reserve a table for my friend's Bachelorette Party. It was perfect! The waitress was very friendly and accommodating. She even split our checks without any hassle! The food was good and the drinks were fabulous! Everyone was really impressed and had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a sushi fanSandymanDined on 3/8/2014So most everyone in our party of 8 is a sushi lover...Needless to say they LOVED it! My wife said some of the best sushi she's ever had. The two non sushi lovers..myself included weren't happy. Our meals were small and not filling. I ordered the Ceviche as a meal and it was small. Another (petite woman) ordered some chicken and found herself ordering an extra portion to fill up. Once again the sushi was apparently excellent so it's hard to complain but figure I'd make it known for the non sushi fans. Btw....I made the reservation for party of 6 instead of 8 on accident and they were very accomodating. No complaints. ..just work on your non sushi menu and I'll return! Otherwise great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I were givenHlg1234VIPDined on 3/8/2014My husband and I were given a gift card to Blue Sushi and had been told it was good...and it was just that. Nothing to write home about. We say at a terrible two top table basically in the middle of a hallway. We have other sushi restaurants that we would prefer to go to.
- Wonderful ExperienceGinaDined on 3/7/2014We decided to go to Blue Sushi after reading the Yelp reviews. I eat sushi all across the US and have to say this was a great spot. The nigiri pieces were very fresh, the sushi roll selection was great as not everyone in the party was wanting raw selections. The service was spot on. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to others. We'll be coming back next time we are in downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!NFrankDined on 3/7/2014I enjoyed the entire evening at Blue! The service was excellent, the food was amazing. Only ate off the sushi menu with the exception of the hot peppers appetizer, but our server made excellent recommendations. I cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Birthday treat venueMootieDined on 3/1/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated our birthdays here with my daughter and boyfriend. Food and service were great . Overall it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I tried BlueGLEEVIPDined on 2/25/2014My husband and I tried Blue Sushi Sake Grill during Denver Restaurant week so we had the price fixed menu. I started with a sake sangria which was awesome and my husband started with a Sapporo followed by some hot sake later. The edamame hummus appetizer was good, however, the crositini they served with it was way too hard to eat, so much so that I was concerned about breaking a tooth so we passed on the bread and ate the veggies with the hummus. My sea bass entree was delicious and my husband and I shared some of the maki which was also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good once weOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/24/2014Food was very good once we were served--slow service for 3 of 4 rolls ordered--1 roll prepared incorrectly--manager corrected and gave discountSpecial Features:
- Love This Place!MyLuvsDined on 2/23/2014It was my second time here and we stopped on a Sunday during Happy Hour. The drink and food specials were out of this world. For $30, I got an appetizer, salad, 3 drinks, and 3 plates of Maki - with tons to take home! This place is so fantastic - I cannot say enough how much I loved it and how my friends and I will be coming back AGAIN and AGAIN!Special Features:
- Great Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014We had a great night with great service. We highly recommend the tuna tower on the appetizer menu.Special Features:
- peppers!!KbouDined on 2/22/2014OMG the pepper appetizer is to die for! great atmosphere and good sushi! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Quite possibly the best margaritaLoganVIPDined on 2/22/2014Quite possibly the best margarita I have ever had + the spicy edamame is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi and Sea Bass!spinlatesDined on 2/15/2014Sushi was amazing. Beautiful presentation. The sea bass was delectable. Loved my lemon drop martini. Would definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and ExcellentdiscjockzoDined on 2/14/2014Completely different sushi experience than I've ever had experienced before. I went here with my boyfriend for a Valentine's date dinner and we were both very impressed. Very trendy and classy decor inside. Most of the menu is a nontraditional but far from disappointing. We went with previous Yelper's recommendations and had the Itchy Salmon, Black Dragon rolls and the Black Tuna Sashimi. All amazing and delicious!! But we are both light eaters and were quite satisfied so you might want to order more sushi than what we ate. We'll definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only problem I had wasRestaurantweekDined on 2/14/2014The only problem I had was a slow drink delivery and a server who spoke so quietly I had to ask her to repeat almost everything she said. The food was fantastic, and so pretty, that we took pictures of our plates. We will be back. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- omgOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014This place was incredible, grest food, great service, great prices, great everything! !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!luv2dineVIPDined on 2/13/2014Always a great dining experience!! Awesome Happy Hour. Great service, great, food, great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love their lunch specials,downtownconciergeVIPDined on 2/6/2014I love their lunch specials, and it's a decent spot with a fun atmosphere. Service is hit-or-miss, but I've had a server there a couple of times who is incredibly attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!sarmonkey17Dined on 2/6/2014Fantastic sushi, great ambiance and friendly service. I recommend the Hawaiian roll. Our server even sang an opera happy birthday to a girl!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much rice & not much fishOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/31/2014Just moved to Denver and had a big sushi craving......the sushi was not the best. Rolls were inventive, but taste was bleh!
- Great food, pretty good serviceMelissaVIPDined on 1/28/2014The food here is so amazing. Their house salad with a wasabi vinaigrette is one of my favorite tastes in Denver. The sushi is creative and delicious. Like many restaurants in downtown Denver, they don't really do well with the lunch rush at noon. The service is friendly and professional, but they don't quite have all their dance moves down. That said, I highly recommend this place. I take folks here from work all the time.Special Features:
- Great ServiceJenkgiantDined on 1/25/2014We arrived a few minutes late for our 7:30 reservation for 2 (Blue is no longer offering Valet service which I used on my 1st visit here well over a year ago). We were seated right away at a very small table for 2 near the sushi bar. The place was bustling & there were a couple of different birthday celebrations that evening. It took a few minutes for our server to greet us & bring water (with thin cucumber slices - love!) but after that, service was very attentive with other services picking up empty plates, refilling water, etc. We ordered a newer Veggie roll but weren't informed they were out of a main ingredient until most of the way through our meal so we took the suggestion of the server for a substitute that was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue IIOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/23/2014Great service, great food, great atmosphere! Waiter and manager went out of their to make it an enjoyable visit. Can't wait to visit again! The river rock beef tenderloin preparation and presentation were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LONG LunchprincessfabDined on 1/20/2014Went for lunch on MLK Day and there was no one in the room we sat in, but it still took 10 minutes to get the menu and about 30 to get our sushi rolls. Our waitress was awful; she never checked on us and never was visible. Luckily another checked on us and we were able to let her know that we'd been waiting a long time. Food was passable, but after the wait, it wasn't worth the great price. Won't go back.
- Good sushiHML33Dined on 1/9/2014Service was great. Friendly, knowledgeable wait staff. Good selection and specialty rolls. The seared albacore was amazing. The octopus roll had good flavor but was a bit rubbery. I would return and try different nigiri and load up on seared albacore.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Awesome!!luv2dineVIPDined on 1/5/2014Braved the snowstorm since we had a sushi craving. Tried the Tako Yaki Tori, Hamachi with Pop Rocks, Steamed Sapporo Mussels, and an assortment of maki. All very, very delicious. One of my favorite places for sushi. Amy our server, was extremely professional, friendly, efficient and gave great suggestions!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Sushi FavoriteamferreroDined on 12/31/2013We thought we had a favorite spot for sushi--until we found Blue, however. This place was recommended by a friend from Omaha and we are so glad we tried it. The sushi was fresh, very tasty, creatively prepared, and unique. We had a basic Seattle roll, a Philly Bomb, and the Tidal Wave; the Seattle was anything but basic--really the best tasting simple roll we've had. The other two rolls were unique but the flavors and fish worked quite well together. The menu offers many other items, including excellent appetizers and dinner plated items, and the bar menu is extensive and drinks are wonderful. If it were possible, we would request our server, Nicholaus, every time we went! He was knowledgeable, friendly, attentive, and quick.Special Features:
- Lots of interesting rollsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013The menu is really extensive, with lots of unique rolls to choose from. If you're looking for "traditional" sushi, I wouldn't recommend it, as the sushi rice was not great. If you're looking for some new kinds of rolls, it's great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!VellutiniDined on 12/7/2013Best sushi around, the Blue Balls are amazing! Service is great!Special Features:
- Great sushi on 16th StreetSemantixVIPDined on 11/22/2013Blue Sushi Sake Grill has all the familiar sushi you'll find elsewhere, along with some very creative twists that work very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We got there before happycher80221Dined on 11/20/2013We got there before happy hour was over andwhat a surprise. Normally, happy hour has a limited menu and not good choices, but not true at Blue! The hostess that greeted us was friendly and make me feel like we were part of the place. The waitstaff were all friendly and lots of smiles!. For sure, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.