89 Congress St
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bluespoonme.com/
- Phone: 2077731116
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: David Iovino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Blue Spoon
Perched at the top of Munjoy Hill in Portland’s East end, we are a chef-owned restaurant built on fresh market ingredients, friends, and family. Chef/owner David Iovino grew up in a family that valued coming together over food, and that tradition has carried forward as the foundation of Blue Spoon. We have fun in the kitchen, but we also couldn’t be more serious about what we do. That’s why we get our goods from the very best: Black Kettle Farm, Laughingstock Farm, Stone Cipher Farm, Fishbowl Farm, Freedom Farm, Valley View Farm eggs and meats, Wee Bit Farm beef and pork, Lankin’s Gorges Cheeses, Woolever Farm lamb, and Rick Tibbet’s mushrooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Blue Spoon - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Blue Spoon reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (33)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (12)special occasion (11)romantic (11)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Can improve on customer service.Mainefoodie2014Dined on 8/23/2014Took nearly an hour to get our food once we were seated. Service extremely slow. No automatic coffee refills unless we requested it. Waiter appeared disinterested in doing his job. Food was good but not worth the long wait.
- A friendly charmerChocolateloverDined on 8/19/2014A surprise, small, neighborhood spot. A perfect welcome to the current Portland culinary sceneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in PortlandkbnyVIPDined on 8/19/2014We loved this place! Definitely farm to table with fresh, fresh ingredients and lite "processing". Beet & cucumber salad just that - slices of cucumber fanned around a heap of sliced beets drizzled with the goat buttermilk dressing. Amazing! My daughter & I both had the pan fried flounder over beans & corn - simply delicious. The sticky toffee pudding was unusual - looked like pie - and also amazing, of course the mound if REAL whipped cream didn't hurt a bit! I would go back in a minute - except I live in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny but great foodyummyDined on 8/16/2014The place is very tiny but the food is excellent. From the bread/oliveoil to the dessert everything was first rate . The server was friendly and helpful. We came early and the "host " was not particularly welcoming - sending us away for 1/2 hour No room at the bar but there were open outside tables.Probably nit-picking but I think being welcoming is important .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we had a restaurant like thisneilcwVIPDined on 8/16/2014Normally, restaurant reviews have some qualifier in them. Like ... loved everything except ... know what I mean? Blue Spoon was outstanding from greeting to departure. It's a really small, charming place that takes the locally sourced concept to heart. Everything was exceptional. The blue cheese and spinach appetizer was amazing. On the recommendation of our server, I went with the bistro burger from wee bit farms, served with a delicious warm potato salad. We tried and loved all three desserts available that evening - if they have the lemon and blueberry cake, get it. I truly wish we had this restaurant like this in Columbus - already a great foodie town.Special Features:
- What a wonderful findRedfranVIPDined on 8/11/2014Blue Spoon is a tiny and intimate restaurant that we believe rates 5 very big stars. Everything about it is right...the restaurant is charming, the service was delightful and the food is over the top great. The very talented chef uses as many locally sourced ingredients as possible with an end result that is fresh and creative. If we get to Portland again you find us at the Blue Spoon.Special Features:
- Great brunch spot!sirbob85Dined on 8/9/2014Had the egg benedict there and it was amazing. Was on a potato cake which I had never had before, definitely recommend.Special Features:
- goldenretreatDined on 8/7/2014Great meal. Wonderful service. Would definitely go again
- Outstandingcamplaba2Dined on 8/5/2014Lunch was soooo good! The best grilled cheese with fig jam I had ever had. The broth with the mussels was delicious - did not overpower the mussels as it does in many restaurants. We will definitely come back for dinnerSpecial Features:
- lmo2012Dined on 8/1/2014pork with honey starter was outstanding, the baguette had the perfect amount of salt and butter!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- best brunchluv2whineDined on 7/26/2014wow--this brunch was fabulous. very friendly waitstaff casually gave us an awesome outdoor table for two and honored our request to bring food and caffeine as quickly as possible. eggs and potatoes were wonderful--got extra hash browns and home fries. the cinnamon chocolate toast was amazing. iced coffee was great. loved it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatMartinDined on 7/23/2014I've eaten at the Blue Spoon several times over the last few years, and it is always impeccable. Highest-quality food with inspired preparation =delicious. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!NonicknameDined on 7/18/2014Interesting and creative menu. Highly recommend this cute little place. It's tiny so make a reservation. Only drawback was the wine. I'm not picky but had 2 wines I did not care for at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findYummyVIPDined on 7/15/2014We found Blue Spoon on Opentable and really liked the food. The service was great and we would go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh foodHeiditDined on 7/12/2014The eggs were so fresh! The color of the yolk was vibrant! The goat cheese reminded us if the goat cheese we had in Venice Italy at Laconda orseolo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food poor ambience ser okrpfsrDined on 7/9/2014we felt like we were in the kitchen. to open. noise level made it difficult to talk. to small food excellent but would not go back due to ambiance. tables to close, hear other conversations. asked for a second glass of wine finished dinner and did not get it.
- Saturday lunchJS67Dined on 6/14/2014Disappointed that Saturday lunch menu was only brunch. Not everyone wants brunch on Saturday. In the past you could get a lovely glass of wine and lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchCorriVIPDined on 5/31/2014Two of my girlfriends came to visit me in Portland while I'm assigned here for work. I decided to take them to Blue Spoon for brunch, and we had a great meal! The corner window booth was very cozy, and I really appreciated not feeling rushed out of the restaurant--we took our time, chatted, and enjoyed our time together. The eggs benedict over sweet potato hash was a favorite of the table, by far. The kale and sausage hash was also yummy, but could've used more kale. It'd be nice if they offered espresso beverages for brunch. Overall a fun and delicious morning!Special Features:
- Nice FindWhalen189Dined on 5/17/2014Had no idea what we would find when we booked at Blue Spoon but we were pleasantly surprised at the quality and uniqueness of the food and the wonderful service. Definitely a place to return to.Special Features:
- AccommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2014Very little on the menu for vegetarian/vegan, but the staff was happy to work with us to whip up one of the best dinners I've had in a while!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!ReenyVIPDined on 5/10/2014Great food in a casual setting. I was looking for a casual restaurant to get a quick bite after my son's college graduation. I found Blue Spoon on OpenTable. After exploring the menu (I have many food sensitivities/allergies) I decided to give Blue Spoon a try. We were not disappointed. Three of us had the bistro burger and another had the egg/pork belly sandwich. Everything was excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Brunch2mainiacsDined on 5/10/2014Went with three generations for a Mother's Day celebration. The menu had changed since last year and we were a little disappointed with the appetizer choices but decided to split the grilled cheese sandwich as an appetizer to go with the fabulous Bloody Mary's. The sandwich arrived cut into four servings and we all enjoyed it. The Eggs Benedict on the sweet potato hash browns was excellent, the eggs were perfectly poached and the hollandaise really complemented the sweet potatoes. The Kale/Chorizo Hash was a treat and my granddaughter enjoyed her hamburger and was a fan of the warm potato salad. We would appreciate a better choice of appetizers to accompany a Bloody Mary or MimosaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticClaraDined on 5/9/2014We had a great time at Blue Spoon. Outstanding cocktails and food. My new favorite restaurant, can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Good but need plenty of timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2014Fun little restaurant. Appetizers were very good. We unfortunately ran out of time and had to take our entrees to go. Eating it after a show was hard to assess quality.Special Features:
- ToughtopleaseDined on 5/3/2014Menu was interesting but very limited. Food was good but with all the great restaurants in Portland I am sorry we chose this for our brief visit.Special Features:
- Great dinnerDinerPandaDined on 5/1/2014Creative dishes. Great happy hour wine deal. The take reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 108 reviews are from the Blue Spoon reviews archive.
- Potatoes to die forSisterVIPDined on 4/28/2014A rustic little place with casual energetic food - freshest salad, delicious burger and roasted poutine-like potatoes!Special Features:
- Special PlacejandsouttoeatDined on 4/26/2014This small (9 or so tables and a couple more outside on the sidewalk) neighborhood restaurant was recommended to us by a leading fish market owner in town - what a great tip! We've eaten there three times and each time the food has been outstanding, each item, from apps. to dessert was so tasty and unique? The place has a friendly, loose vibe and the service makes you feel like your eating at a good friends home.Special Features:
- Once upon a Blue SpoonTenaftertenVIPDined on 4/25/2014Went to Blue Spoon before a show. The seating was immediate although the restaurant was full, service as well. Great burgers and the appetizers were outstanding. Nice diverse menu. Small restaurant but well serviced. All in all a great experienceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014Eaten here several times before, so know that this visit was an anomaly. Everything was very good, except it took our main meals over hour to be served. We had an event to go to, so ran out without eating (meals in take out containers). They were very nice about it, but the wait for food was irritating (when those that came before us were served way before our main meal came out).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerCBY1PortlandDined on 4/14/2014How lucky we are to be able to walk five minutes to one of Portland's best restaurants. Blue Spoon offers remarkably creative delicious food, all prepared by Steve in a tiny kitchen. The service staff is efficient and friendly without being in your face. Bri, Katie and Kirk never fail to make us feel at home and welcome. The small plates are creative:beets, Brussels sprouts, fingerlings, eggplant and more prepared with herbs snd spices that are delicate and oh so good. Main plates amaze; the ragu is beyond remarkable, the mussels are Delish, the gush, chicken and beef are fabulous. The wine list is small but well thought out, dessert -coconut flan is a must. Overall, Blue Spoon offers great good and service, while reasonably priced.Special Features:
- This was our third diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014This was our third dining experience to the Blue Spoon. It was just as outstanding as the last. I particularly liked the warm cabbage salad and the beer selection. The service was excellent. Overall it was a great place to spend an evening with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food! I loved everyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014Fantastic Food! I loved every bit of it. The only thing I wish was different was that there was a little more light towards the end of the meal. If the lights were not so low or if there was additional candlelight it would literally have been perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No better lunch in PortlandJundelDined on 4/10/2014Always a treat. The best BLT to be had anywhere and, oh, the sticky pudding !!!!! Took 3 colleagues from out of town for lunch and everyone was delighted.Special Features:
- A Five Spoon GemVandJDined on 4/9/2014Six of us thoroughly enjoyed Blue Spoon last week. We all had different appetizers and entrees and every dish was rated as excellent by each person, and we're discriminating eaters. Our waitress was fun, personable, fully attentive and offered good suggestions. Atmosphere was good, just not fancy, and food was imaginative and delicious. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Fabulous!ClaraDined on 4/5/2014Met a friend there for brunch and we had a great time! Our meals were amazing, and her cocktail was incredible! We plan to go back on a day I don't have to hurry off to work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secret PlaceCraftsmanDined on 4/4/2014I was bit suprised by the small size/few tables which hleped make it feel like we had stumbled upon a well kept secret. The total experience was wonderful. The intimate setting allowed for a quiet experience that promoted conversation and relaxation. The menu was filled with familiar ingredients put together to provide appetizers, salads and entrees that were unexpected. I wanted to taste everything on the menu. Our choices did not dissappoint and left us wanting to return often enough to chose everything on the menu. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FAVORITEJSHKDined on 4/2/2014The Blue Spoon is one of my favorite restaurants in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh local comfortableVideoporterDined on 3/24/2014Really nice season appropriate menu. Wonderful sweet potato soup and root veggie starters. Perfectly prepared ribeye, the flounder tasted like they caught it today. This is an enjoy every bite place. Comfy room, attentive service, nice super casual vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch TimeGfBrDined on 3/22/2014Love having a great place to go to brunch on a Saturday. The food was great. Wait staff was great. Would definitely return. This was my third time for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.