89 Congress St
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bluespoonme.com/
- Phone: 2077731116
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: David Iovino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Blue Spoon
Perched at the top of Munjoy Hill in Portland’s East end, we are a chef-owned restaurant built on fresh market ingredients, friends, and family. Chef/owner David Iovino grew up in a family that valued coming together over food, and that tradition has carried forward as the foundation of Blue Spoon. We have fun in the kitchen, but we also couldn’t be more serious about what we do. That’s why we get our goods from the very best: Black Kettle Farm, Laughingstock Farm, Stone Cipher Farm, Fishbowl Farm, Freedom Farm, Valley View Farm eggs and meats, Wee Bit Farm beef and pork, Lankin’s Gorges Cheeses, Woolever Farm lamb, and Rick Tibbet’s mushrooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Blue Spoon - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Blue Spoon reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (41)great for outdoor dining (16)romantic (12)great for lunch (11)special occasion (10)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)good for groups (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Living right down the street from Blue Spoon, I can't believe this was the first time I went. Was joined by three friends and everything was delicious. It's a smaller space, so avoid groups of more than 4, but it's intimate, cozy dining room with a lovely bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunch before PMASBfoodie71VIPDined on 9/16/2014Small two person operation, but worth the relatively slow pace. Blue cheese toastie, "the salad" perfect. My partner very pleased with her mussels. Go there, if you are in no rush and can enjoy the creations by the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off night, questionable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/13/2014When we arrived to Blue Spoon, we were promptly seated and greeted; however, had to wait nearly 15 minutes just for our cocktails (with 3 foh staff working about 30 seats). There was a fly in my martini (unintentional, I'm sure), and the server quickly apologized and brought a fresh drink. It was a solid 1/2 hour before we received our appetizer (goose terrine - tasty, salad - very unappetizing - globs of aioli atop a rudimentary raw veg mixture). Our entrees came quickly after the apps, not allowing proper time to complete our first course. The burger was good, not spectacular, and my veg pasta entree was the same. We were comped dessert due to the fly incident - coconut flan - which was the highlight of the meal.
- Perfect!ChefWeaverDined on 9/11/2014We saw this cute place while driving by and booked a table for a few nights later. The food was fabulous, really nice. The waitstaff was excellent. I loved being greeted when we entered the door, big smiles. I am a Chef and prior owner of a Cafe; this place was the kind of place I am most comfortable in and what my place always aspired to be. Relaxed, cozy, nice people, delicious food and "home" made fresh. Thank you, we'll be back, again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014So good that we went back for lunch the next day! Superb seafood and saladsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy for our tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014We wanted a romantic meal to compliment the sunset from the Observatory. Like many restaurants these day, this one is too noisy. The house wine was very good and we liked the small plates.
- Worth the return trip!jnbraiderVIPDined on 8/30/2014Terrific on all counts. Staff was wonderful; meat tender; dessert heartwarming!Special Features:
- Excellent Meal and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Once again this place dazzles us with the menu selections, kitchen skills, and the service. Our party of 4 caught the last 30 minutes of wine time and it is really a must for any wine lover at $2.50/glass. We picked a variety of starters/ appetizers and they were all excellent. My terrine was total yum. Our entrees ran the gamut of the spaghetti, braising pot, fish chowder, and I had the bistro burger. All our meals were hits and my burger combination of goat cheese, bacon and a fried egg should be on any diners list here. This place is a hit every time we venture in and more restaurants should use this service. We love it here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and deliciousFineFoodAppreciatedDined on 8/29/2014We enjoy coming here for lunch and dinner. It's within walking distance of home; the food is always good and nicely presented. The menu is unique and offers a delicious combination of flavors with standard fare food. Fig jam with grilled cheese? Outstanding!Special Features:
- Fabulous dinnerbeckyqtooDined on 8/28/2014we enjoyed the freshest of the fresh ingredients....pasta, veggies, chicken all locally sourced and wonderfully prepared. Small gem on the hip east side of p-landSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItjessanneDined on 8/28/2014Went here on vacation, walked from our rental house with out 18 month old and sat outside. Great food, great service. Highly recommend :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Spoon findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/25/2014I was looking for an off the beaten. path restaurant in Portland, Me. I liked the location in a neighborhood on a hilltop - Munoz Hill. My waitress was excellent and knowledgeable. I had a lovely goat cheese salad, flounder w fingerling potatoes and green beans. They use local cuisine. I thought there could ha been a bit more spice but overall the food was great. I don't usually get dessert but tried the lemon, Blueberry cake that was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can improve on customer service.Mainefoodie2014Dined on 8/23/2014Took nearly an hour to get our food once we were seated. Service extremely slow. No automatic coffee refills unless we requested it. Waiter appeared disinterested in doing his job. Food was good but not worth the long wait.
- kdmacDined on 8/22/2014The menu was different and the food was very good. The staff was attentive.Special Features:
- A friendly charmerChocolateloverDined on 8/19/2014A surprise, small, neighborhood spot. A perfect welcome to the current Portland culinary sceneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in PortlandkbnyVIPDined on 8/19/2014We loved this place! Definitely farm to table with fresh, fresh ingredients and lite "processing". Beet & cucumber salad just that - slices of cucumber fanned around a heap of sliced beets drizzled with the goat buttermilk dressing. Amazing! My daughter & I both had the pan fried flounder over beans & corn - simply delicious. The sticky toffee pudding was unusual - looked like pie - and also amazing, of course the mound if REAL whipped cream didn't hurt a bit! I would go back in a minute - except I live in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny but great foodyummyDined on 8/16/2014The place is very tiny but the food is excellent. From the bread/oliveoil to the dessert everything was first rate . The server was friendly and helpful. We came early and the "host " was not particularly welcoming - sending us away for 1/2 hour No room at the bar but there were open outside tables.Probably nit-picking but I think being welcoming is important .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we had a restaurant like thisneilcwVIPDined on 8/16/2014Normally, restaurant reviews have some qualifier in them. Like ... loved everything except ... know what I mean? Blue Spoon was outstanding from greeting to departure. It's a really small, charming place that takes the locally sourced concept to heart. Everything was exceptional. The blue cheese and spinach appetizer was amazing. On the recommendation of our server, I went with the bistro burger from wee bit farms, served with a delicious warm potato salad. We tried and loved all three desserts available that evening - if they have the lemon and blueberry cake, get it. I truly wish we had this restaurant like this in Columbus - already a great foodie town.Special Features:
- What a wonderful findRedfranVIPDined on 8/11/2014Blue Spoon is a tiny and intimate restaurant that we believe rates 5 very big stars. Everything about it is right...the restaurant is charming, the service was delightful and the food is over the top great. The very talented chef uses as many locally sourced ingredients as possible with an end result that is fresh and creative. If we get to Portland again you find us at the Blue Spoon.Special Features:
- Great brunch spot!sirbob85Dined on 8/9/2014Had the egg benedict there and it was amazing. Was on a potato cake which I had never had before, definitely recommend.Special Features:
- goldenretreatDined on 8/7/2014Great meal. Wonderful service. Would definitely go again
- Outstandingcamplaba2Dined on 8/5/2014Lunch was soooo good! The best grilled cheese with fig jam I had ever had. The broth with the mussels was delicious - did not overpower the mussels as it does in many restaurants. We will definitely come back for dinnerSpecial Features:
- lmo2012Dined on 8/1/2014pork with honey starter was outstanding, the baguette had the perfect amount of salt and butter!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- best brunchluv2whineDined on 7/26/2014wow--this brunch was fabulous. very friendly waitstaff casually gave us an awesome outdoor table for two and honored our request to bring food and caffeine as quickly as possible. eggs and potatoes were wonderful--got extra hash browns and home fries. the cinnamon chocolate toast was amazing. iced coffee was great. loved it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatMartinDined on 7/23/2014I've eaten at the Blue Spoon several times over the last few years, and it is always impeccable. Highest-quality food with inspired preparation =delicious. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!NonicknameDined on 7/18/2014Interesting and creative menu. Highly recommend this cute little place. It's tiny so make a reservation. Only drawback was the wine. I'm not picky but had 2 wines I did not care for at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findYummyVIPDined on 7/15/2014We found Blue Spoon on Opentable and really liked the food. The service was great and we would go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh foodHeiditDined on 7/12/2014The eggs were so fresh! The color of the yolk was vibrant! The goat cheese reminded us if the goat cheese we had in Venice Italy at Laconda orseolo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food poor ambience ser okrpfsrDined on 7/9/2014we felt like we were in the kitchen. to open. noise level made it difficult to talk. to small food excellent but would not go back due to ambiance. tables to close, hear other conversations. asked for a second glass of wine finished dinner and did not get it.
- Saturday lunchJS67Dined on 6/14/2014Disappointed that Saturday lunch menu was only brunch. Not everyone wants brunch on Saturday. In the past you could get a lovely glass of wine and lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchCorriVIPDined on 5/31/2014Two of my girlfriends came to visit me in Portland while I'm assigned here for work. I decided to take them to Blue Spoon for brunch, and we had a great meal! The corner window booth was very cozy, and I really appreciated not feeling rushed out of the restaurant--we took our time, chatted, and enjoyed our time together. The eggs benedict over sweet potato hash was a favorite of the table, by far. The kale and sausage hash was also yummy, but could've used more kale. It'd be nice if they offered espresso beverages for brunch. Overall a fun and delicious morning!Special Features:
- The following 116 reviews are from the Blue Spoon reviews archive.
- Nice FindWhalen189Dined on 5/17/2014Had no idea what we would find when we booked at Blue Spoon but we were pleasantly surprised at the quality and uniqueness of the food and the wonderful service. Definitely a place to return to.Special Features:
- AccommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2014Very little on the menu for vegetarian/vegan, but the staff was happy to work with us to whip up one of the best dinners I've had in a while!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!ReenyVIPDined on 5/10/2014Great food in a casual setting. I was looking for a casual restaurant to get a quick bite after my son's college graduation. I found Blue Spoon on OpenTable. After exploring the menu (I have many food sensitivities/allergies) I decided to give Blue Spoon a try. We were not disappointed. Three of us had the bistro burger and another had the egg/pork belly sandwich. Everything was excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Brunch2mainiacsDined on 5/10/2014Went with three generations for a Mother's Day celebration. The menu had changed since last year and we were a little disappointed with the appetizer choices but decided to split the grilled cheese sandwich as an appetizer to go with the fabulous Bloody Mary's. The sandwich arrived cut into four servings and we all enjoyed it. The Eggs Benedict on the sweet potato hash browns was excellent, the eggs were perfectly poached and the hollandaise really complemented the sweet potatoes. The Kale/Chorizo Hash was a treat and my granddaughter enjoyed her hamburger and was a fan of the warm potato salad. We would appreciate a better choice of appetizers to accompany a Bloody Mary or MimosaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticClaraDined on 5/9/2014We had a great time at Blue Spoon. Outstanding cocktails and food. My new favorite restaurant, can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Good but need plenty of timeDebbieDined on 5/8/2014Fun little restaurant. Appetizers were very good. We unfortunately ran out of time and had to take our entrees to go. Eating it after a show was hard to assess quality.Special Features:
- ToughtopleaseDined on 5/3/2014Menu was interesting but very limited. Food was good but with all the great restaurants in Portland I am sorry we chose this for our brief visit.Special Features:
- Great dinnerDinerPandaDined on 5/1/2014Creative dishes. Great happy hour wine deal. The take reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potatoes to die forSisterVIPDined on 4/28/2014A rustic little place with casual energetic food - freshest salad, delicious burger and roasted poutine-like potatoes!Special Features: