116 East 27th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluesmoke.com/
- Phone: (212) 447-7733
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:30am-10:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jean-Paul Bourgeois
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Be sure to check out Jazz Standard downstairs where there is live music 7 days a week. Shows are at 7:30pm & 9:30pm every night, with an additional 11:30pm show on Fridays and Saturdays.
A word from Blue Smoke
Widely credited as the founder of New York City’s barbecue movement, Blue Smoke celebrates the evolving American South while honoring its culinary traditions. Executive Chef Jean-Paul Bourgeois’ menu combines homestyle comfort with culinary finesse. Classic and specialty cocktails, an extensive American craft beer list, bourbon and American wines complete the experience.Continued
The flagship Blue Smoke, with the club Jazz Standard, is located on East 27th Street in New York City, and a second location opened in 2012 in NYC’s Battery Park City.
The flagship Blue Smoke, with the club Jazz Standard, is located on East 27th Street in New York City, and a second location opened in 2012 in NYC’s Battery Park City.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Blue Smoke - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Blue Smoke reviews from OpenTable diners
334 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (196)fit for foodies (113)great for lunch (104)kid-friendly (95)neighborhood gem (91)vibrant bar scene (70)hot spot (55)special occasion (36)late-night find (33)great for brunch (29)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (9)notable wine list (9)scenic view (2)Show More
- Authentic 'cueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014Danny Meyer has scored another home run. It's perfect pit barbecue, a tasty sauce, and terrific sides. The macaroni and cheese is sinfully creamy. The special cornbread madeleines with warm toffee butter is absolutely divine. Excellent food and efficient, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/24/2014The pastrami was good but a little too fatty. Also I miss the Texas & Memphis ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a little pricey but overall pretty goodMellDined on 11/22/2014Blue Smoke has a good setup with the bar in front and tables in the back and on the second floor over lookng the bar. The food was pretty good, but their sauces are a little heavy. Service was ok - I sat in a seat next to the cash register and heard a lot of complaints from the waitors and waitresses about working in this restaurant which made me not want to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is great ...DeputyAsst2ComishOfEatingDined on 11/21/2014It's pretty loud and where I was sitting a bit cramped (constantly had people - including servers - bumping into the back of my chair) but I didn't go for the atmosphere or service. It's bbq/southern food and it's done really well - great ribs, mac n cheese, biscuits. Can't go wrong with the food. Bring your appetite and go to town ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best BBQ joints in NY!HoudiniDined on 11/20/2014Blue Smoke never disappoints. Although the menu has changed somewhat, the food is always excellent. This is clearly one of the best BBQ joints in NY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the fried chicken and biscuits!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Blue smoke is a restaurant I always go to when I'm in NYC. Single diners like myself can sit up on the balcony, which I like - good view, and I don't feel out of the way, plus I can read a book. The food is excellent (I missed the mash though!), and the music is at an appropriate level for middle-aged ears.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Barbecue Joint in the CityOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2014Blue Smoke offers a lively atmosphere in which to enjoy a good range of southern barbecued food (it does offer other type of food for those not wanting barbecue). The atmosphere is very lively and enjoyable, with a great bar serving a wide variety of bourbon and good microbrewery beer. The food is good, although not as great as when first sampled a couple of years ago, which may reflect the change of chef a few months back. Perhaps this will pick up as things settle down. For our party, the chicken wings and the ribs were excellent, but the salad starter and brisket entree were less successful. Recommended for a fun night out, especially if you are going to The Jazz Standard club downstairs, where our server obtained an excellent table for us and made our transfer a seamless process e.g. bringing our drinks downstairs for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedVIPDined on 11/14/2014I have been here several times before. Last night the place was not at its best, the service was lackadaisical , they were out of beer glasses, bar-b-q sauce, pulled pork sauce. . .it was still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for larger groups. great for sharing food.shrecchiDined on 11/14/2014Great food and cocktail list. Definitely menu is great for sharing with friends and family. little disappointment that no discount whatsoever if you decide to go downstairs jazz club. Its $30 admission fee..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in town!SunCynDined on 11/10/2014For great BBQ in NYC, you can't beat Blue Smoke! However, on this occasion, I opted to try something different. Instead of BBQ, I ordered one of the new Cajun dishes - Court Boullion (Coo-Bee-Yon). From the first bite to the last, my taste buds were tickled! I savored every delicious bite. If you prefer fish to BBQ, I urge you to try this dish with a south Louisiana flair! For dessert I had the bread pudding. OH MY! You haven't lived til you've tasted this bread pudding. Just for fun I ordered a special cocktail - the "gussied up!" It was the perfect addition to a great dinner. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. Blue Smoke is always fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They Had Me with the SidesMCIDNYDined on 11/10/2014Although there are more and more authentic BBQ restaurants popping up around the city, the side dishes really set Blue Smoke apart from the rest. Don't get me wrong, the BBQ is top notch, but paired with delicious tasting sides, you can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed BBQ spot near FlatironPhilipJVIPDined on 11/9/2014Good brunch spotto meet with friends and kids. Relaxed ambience and good food. Order family-style or you'll have a mountain of food! Service was rather chaotic and the side dishes never arrived - the bill was corrected and apologies received. Feels like a bit more attention to detail and food quality could easily move this experience from good to great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet Southern BBQwondertot3Dined on 11/8/2014We had 4 adults and two kids and there was something for everyone. The TV sports occupied our 11 yr old and there were kids' meals for them. Our waiter couldn't have been more accomodating, water glasses filled without asking, and because we had a birthday celebration we were given a birthday dessert without even requesting it. It is truly a well run place. Although most of us had baby back ribs, the fried chicken the birthday guy had was really terrific. Desserts are super and we had banana cream pie and key lime pie, both the best we've ever had. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner with 4 friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014all good food and service. Fun atmosphere. We sat in the back so it was just the right noise level. It was better than I remembered! We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ribs, but...BobbyDined on 11/5/2014Not fall-off-the-bone as I expected or have had at other places. Great flavor though. Overall, I would recommend.Special Features:
- Blue Smoke for Blueshirts NationblueshirtdinerDined on 11/5/2014Took my wife and 11 year old son here before the Rangers game and we all had a really enjoyable time. Great, always consistent BBQ at reasonable prices. A really nice unexpected surprise is that they do a great job catering to children - they have a nice kids menu and they even let the kids design their own cookie to bake and take with them as a parting gift.Special Features:
- Disappointed with changesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2014I have been to Blue Smoke many times and have always loved it! Especially as a vegetarian with carnivore friends and family, there have always been many delicious choices for everybody. Recently Blue Smoke revamped their entire menu, slashing the choices so now it is a one page card. They got rid of many favorites such as the beef ribs and sweet potato wedges. No more roasted Brussel sprouts! Guys come on- this is a BBQ restaurant- how do you get rid of dishes like this??!! The server we had was very nice and tried to help us to make choices where our favorites had been eliminated. The bill was pretty high, and especially considering I didnt get the meal I had anticpating, I dont think I'll be going back there anytime soon.
- wedding anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014we had a wonderful time the food was excellent we tried a little bit of everything brought plenty of food home for the next meal our server was phenomenal she also bought us a cocktail for our anniversary I thought that was very sweet the entire wait staff even the other customers extremely friendly and everyone talks about what are you having we were seated around a lot of first timers such a good vibe there and it was just a friendly very good food with an interesting spin share some plates and try a little bit of everything. I would suggest this for anyone with children if you get there before 7pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCarlosCTJDined on 10/29/2014Having read Danny Meyer's Setting the Table I wanted to experience his "enlightened hospitality" first hand. Was NOT disappointed the service (Madison) was only exceeded by the food which is the best I've ever had (the pulled pork and smoked sausage are crazy good).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backGMarcusDined on 10/29/2014Took my small department out to lunch, and everyone was satisfied with their meals! Three of us ordered the burger, and the other three ordered the brisket sandwich. We've been to places for lunch before, but everyone asked how I found this gem!Special Features:
- Always a good stopLenMDined on 10/28/2014Blue Smoke is already renowned but even that they have amended their menu options, you still can't beat their food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-concert dinnerVadimDined on 10/23/2014We prefer to have dinner in Blue Smoke than go for it in Jazz Standard downstairs while they share the same kitchen and menu. I hate to have my very smelly spare ribs while people on the stage play outstanding jazz. For many years we go to Blue Smoke for a nice relaxed dinner and then go to Jazz Standard for desert and wine. Beignets are absolutely fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerWith StuDinnerWithStuDined on 10/22/2014I went to lunch today, I had never stopped in for lunch. The wings were good, the baby back ribs were delicious. The beer that was recommended by the waiter was very good as well.Special Features:
- Jazz and BarbacuetwallDined on 10/20/2014Decided to dine here before going to the first session of the Mingus Big Band I'm glad we did I enjoyed the food more and was able see what I was eating. Overall a great nite of food and entertainment you cant beat that.Special Features:
- Wonderful BBQ!EnjoyEatingVIPDined on 10/19/2014Everything was top notch -- food, service, etc. Went there with my 4 sisters and 91 year old mother. We were a little early for our reservation but they took us right away. My mother had a walker and they quickly came over to check it so that it would not be in our way. The cornbread madelines melt in your mouth! We each had something difference and everything was very tasty. My mother can't stop talking about this place!Special Features:
- Great ServicetefireviewtimeDined on 10/18/2014Our waitress was so sweet. the food was OKAY, the brisket was WAY too fatty and the broccoli was really watery. But the waitress was so attentive and the ambiance was fun.Special Features:
- too bad its changed!manhattancuit208VIPDined on 10/18/2014Menu has been changed and does not have the selection choices of the old menu. The new menu focuses more on southern cooking a la New Orleans rather than barbecue and the chef uses way too much salt in dishes.Special Features:
- Warning: The Menu has Changed!DrDiningVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have been a patron of Blue Smoke for years and was very disappointed that the menu has completely changed! Almost all appetizers and most main courses are different (and more limited). Honestly, it has become a much more expensive place to dine (as now everything is 'a la carte' AND they have raised their prices). It no longer has the menu that used to make me come in several times per month. I really hope that they expand/fix the current menu offerings and bring back more of what they once had- I was very disappointed. One good new thing: The Hostesses are all new and much, much friendlier!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best ...PodsnapVIPDined on 10/14/2014Alas, as much as I admire and like Danny Meyer's restaurants this is the runt of the bunch. The staff is relatively untrained (filling wine glasses almost to the brim), the BBQ uninspired at best. Go elsewhere.
- Blue Smoke BluesKadiDined on 10/13/2014I had lived in the area for 33 years and was a frequent diner. I even had a special birthday here only two years ago. Since I moved away, when I had a visitor from Ca., I wanted to go back to one of my favorite spots. Unfortunately, the ribs were not very meaty, the spicy broccoli was overcooked and burnt-tasting, and my only savior was the original banana creme pie but the portion was smaller than usual. Also, they changed the menu to a seasonal menu and my old favorites(sweet potato fries, and caesar salad w/chicken) were gone. Go back to your old menu and since you have a new chef, get a quick course!Special Features:
- BBQ in the CityladythatlunchesVIPDined on 10/12/2014Who knew that you could get good barbeque in NYC? We decided to go with two platters of mixed meats as a kind of tasting menu. Two for three was enough to take home some. The Test: Chicken. The barbeque chicken was smoky AND moist. Delicious, it passed the test. The pulled pork had just a hint of vinegar so it was just right and the ribs were deeply varnished with smoke and sauce. They made good eats. Also tried the pimento cheese and sausage, surprisingly good and the mac & cheese, which had the gooey texture and over-cheesed flavor of an old fashioned Velveta-style mac & cheese. That is a good thing. The biscuits, although flaky, were a little disappointing. Overall, "finger lickin' good".Special Features:
- Not Bad, but no CowgirlMarkNYC64VIPDined on 10/12/2014Blue Smoke was pretty good. Can't say how the BBQ was since I had a shrimp po boy...and it was NOT the best shrimp po boy I've ever had, but it was okay. Probably won't be my go-to place in Manhattan for BBQ though. Menu was extremely limited. Service could've been better. Not a bad experience but things were lacking that I noticed, so...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beMsMichelleVIPDined on 10/11/2014Blue Smoke is definitely not what it used to be. I have been here many times before with the old chef and it was always wonderful. You can count on a good time. This time though, the service was slow and not good. On top of that, the portions were small and it took about an hour and a half to get our food.
- Good man's mealRobert009Dined on 10/10/2014Excellent bar-b-que. Very tasty. Dessert (key lime) was very average, but overall excellent meal.Special Features:
- Great BBQReliableVIPDined on 10/10/2014I enjoy getting the variety plate - and you can substitute an item - for example I substituted the brisket for the chicken. The meat does not come with BBQ sauce on it (thankfully) - they provide two types of homemade BBQ sauce on the side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/9/2014I used to adore Blue Smoke, but they recently changed their menu and removed some of my favorite dishes and cocktails. Additionally, the brisket was surprisingly dry and they no longer have the sauces that I love on the table. I used to go to Blue Smoke at least once a month, but now I have no reason to go back.
- On the declineRomeoBravoDined on 10/6/2014I've been going to Blue Smoke for years. Every year I take my buddy here for his bday along with anytime I crave BBQ. The restaurant was very empty and they sat us right by the kitchen & drink station. Waitress comes by and doesn't even introduce herself - takes our drink order and heads off to the bar. In the mean time, they seat groups on each side of us.. with plenty of other open two/four tops available. These tables are so close you cannot ignore your dining neighbors.. The bright side is the food is still good. Historically they've always done something special for bud's bday. Whether it was an app or desert, not even a happy bday from any staff. Yes it was in the open table reservation notes. Not the norm for a Danny Meyer rest.
- great southern foodlovebirdsfromNYCDined on 10/4/2014Great southern food, but somewhat lacking in southern hospitality. I suppose that is expected in a New York restaurant. Overall, still a good experience. Food and drinks came out quickly and was delicious! My 7 pepper rub brisket and my husband's variety meat platter (can't recall the cute name they had for it) had us reminiscing about our old aventures in San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's changed but still deliciousLillethVIPDined on 10/3/2014We were looking forward to the rib sampler that they used to have. But when we got there and noticed the sauce caddy was no longer there, we knew things changed. The ribs are still delicious. I had the Shrimp boil which had the perfect amount of spiciness. We ordered so many appetizers and side dishes that we were really really full so no room for dessert. Service was spectacular. It's different than before but still delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brisket but ok ribsEastsideLeeVIPDined on 10/3/2014The 7 pepper rubbed brisket was to die for but the baby back ribs were very dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.