116 East 27th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluesmoke.com/
- Phone: 2124477733x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:30am-10:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jean-Paul Bourgeois
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Be sure to check out Jazz Standard downstairs where there is live music 7 days a week. Shows are at 7:30pm & 9:30pm every night, with an additional 11:30pm show on Fridays and Saturdays.
A word from Blue Smoke
Widely credited as the founder of New York City’s barbecue movement, Blue Smoke celebrates the evolving American South while honoring its culinary traditions. Executive Chef Jean-Paul Bourgeois’ menu combines homestyle comfort with culinary finesse. Classic and specialty cocktails, an extensive American craft beer list, bourbon and American wines complete the experience.Continued
The flagship Blue Smoke, with the club Jazz Standard, is located on East 27th Street in New York City, and a second location opened in 2012 in NYC’s Battery Park City.
The flagship Blue Smoke, with the club Jazz Standard, is located on East 27th Street in New York City, and a second location opened in 2012 in NYC’s Battery Park City.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Blue Smoke - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Blue Smoke reviews from OpenTable diners
319 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (179)great for lunch (117)fit for foodies (112)neighborhood gem (100)kid-friendly (97)hot spot (73)vibrant bar scene (69)special occasion (43)great for brunch (42)late-night find (28)romantic (16)notable wine list (8)great for outdoor dining (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- Eccellente bbqOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I and my family Washington at blu smoke in friday 12 sep. The rapsody bbq is recommended. Superbs ribs chicken and shoulder. Weforyou@email.we was so satisfated test we returned on Saturday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/12/2014Overall the food and service were very good...all the sides were delicious!Special Features:
- Still good after all these yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I first went to Blue Smoke the day after it opened and really enjoyed the ribs -- BBQ was a novelty in NYC at the time, and there weren't too many options. I dined there many times in the early '00's (lunch and dinner)and always had a great meal. I haven't worked in that neighborhood for many years so Blue Smoke fell off my radar - until a few weeks ago. I met a friend there for dinner, had a great time and went back again for lunch last week. It's still good, although it can get noisy in the evening. If you love BBQ and have never been, it's worth the trip. If you haven't been back there for a while, it's worth a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Balanced Menu NeededMjj1289Dined on 9/9/2014I was somewhat disappointed that the entree didn't automically come with sides. The brisket was delicious, but I would have loved a small salad or fries to come with it. Regarding the sides, there are no vegetables. Brussel sprouts, brocolli, spinach - something - would have been nice. There is maque choux, but who knows what that is? Finally, don't order the cole slaw. It's a really lame way to add $5 to the bill. It's nothing but chopped cabbage bathed in vinegar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite the same but goodepoh4Dined on 9/8/2014It has been a while since I was last at Blue Smoke. The menu has changed and there is no longer collard greens or any type of "green" side dish on it. (I miss this!) In fact any BBQ order comes meat solo or just with slices of white bread. Adding sides (i.e. $9 for mac'n cheese??) ups the price substantially for a "complete meal" - but hey, my smoked brisket (fatty) was REALLY DELICIOUS! And the beers on tap were good and pretty cheap $6.50. Staff was friendly, and efficient. Dining room got really noisy as it filled. So you weigh things...Special Features:
- Great ribsfredsturDined on 9/8/2014Excellent St. Louis style spare ribs and milkshake. Fun place to eat and drink with friends. Definitely would return.Special Features:
- Fun, fun, funOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2014It was a great birthday celebration for our son. Definitely a repeat visit. Limited menu selections but enough choices.Special Features:
- Great foodmel24Dined on 9/6/2014The food and the service here were excellent and we would definitely recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance...Great Food!Luv2DineNYCDined on 9/4/2014I love going to this restaurant, the food selection never disappoint. Southern inspired dishes bring the heat and appeals to the tastebuds. It is a wonderful venue to entertain clients and to hang out with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/4/2014It seems like they have revamped the menu and have taken all my favorite dishes off like the sweet potato fries and their veggy burger etc... I was there for lunch and didn't see anything i was interested in so ordered their signature Blue Smoke burger. I asked for medium but it tasted overdone. This place is not cheap and this burger was one of the worst burgers i have ever had. (The bun and the fries were ok though)
- RibsluvribsDined on 9/2/2014Was not impressed with the ribs. Expected better. Bar was geat.Special Features:
- Great food for visitorsAllyGDined on 8/31/2014We are from London, UK and this is our first trip to NYC. As there our so many eating establishments it is difficult to know what is good or bad. This restaurant is great for visitors. A taste of America at a reasonable price, good service and atmosphere. If there was a Blue Smoke in London We would be regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bar-BQSharkeyDined on 8/26/2014Outstanding food, great service. We come here every time we're in NYC for the US Open and we will continue to do so! You will need to make reservations as this place is so good that lot's of people want to be here!Special Features:
- love the foodmeatloverDined on 8/26/2014will definitely come back! I recommend the baby back ribs, pulled pork shoulder, chicken wings and the veggie salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the calories!onthesideVIPDined on 8/26/2014Went with the family. Absolutely delicious. Couldn't decide between the baby back ribs or the brisket so we got both and split them. So tender and although sauce is on the table, it was not needed. Perfectly moist as is. We added on sides of mac & cheese and hush puppies. Like I said, not a low calorie meal but worth the splurge. My one minor complaint is that if you want bread, you have to pay for it. Nothing complimentary so we ordered corn bread - $4 for two small pieces. (Management - Little things like a nice bread basket to start go a long way.) But otherwise, loved the food and the ambience. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for FoodiesbeerandwinefoodieDined on 8/25/2014The Salt and Pepper ribs are meaty and the macaroni and cheese is the cheesiest. If I was a big eater I would go down the menu to try everything. To add to the list the Chipotle wings are another must have. Great place to go and have good barbecue and to top it all off with fresh baked cookies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions. High PricesNotg8VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have eaten here several times. The portions were big, took food home. Now the prices have jumped and the portions have disappeared. Service was slow.Special Features:
- Great time at Blue Smoke!wildriceDined on 8/21/2014We had dinner upstairs and the food and service were superb! Ribs were excellent (house standard), one of us had a vegetarian dish (risotto based with divine veggies..), and their mac an cheese was truly to die for! Wow! Pork chop was thick and delicious and the strip steak was consumed in nearly a heartbeat! Afterward, we went downstairs for the jazz and the whole evening was so fun...for us Minnesotans...to have great food and a great night in a true jazz nightclub! thanks so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who minds noise?!SpongetoffeeDined on 8/20/2014I have been going to Blue Smoke for about ten years now whenever I come to New York. However, I don't know if it is my age but I can't take the noise anymore. Love the frybread, but if you can't hear your friends talking what is the point?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue smoke a DisappointmentBarbaraVIPDined on 8/19/2014Having loved Blue smoke when it first opened, we were so disappointed this past week night when dining there. Good service is nice, but we were seated at 6:30 and had the bill in hand at 7:10. No one asked if we wanted a second drink or anything. The food came out of the kitchen as soon as the waiter brought the order into it. My ribs were not hot and the meat certainly did not fall off the bone as any good barbecue should. This place must be living off its reputation.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceAndyDined on 8/16/2014We came for lunch late in the afternoon to avoid crowds and noise. Just as we expected. Quiet but good ambience, very kind server, food came fast and as usual, delicious.Special Features:
- Food Okay...Service ExcellentShak1Dined on 8/15/2014The food was lack luster on flavor in my opinion only....But Our waitress and waiter were phenomenal very attentive and efficient ...And drinks were delicious.Special Features:
- Lenore S.gratifood84Dined on 8/15/2014I've dined at Blue Smoke n the past and always enjoyed the food. The ambiance is a bit noisy for me - but by arriving earlier for dinner, it eased it a bit. I found the Restaurant week menu O.K. - but did not think it worth the $38. Also I found the food on the regular menu superior. I had an adequate Ceaser salad - a fair amount of baby back ribs - good but as if they were prepared well in advance. A small amount of cole slaw and a few slices of pickle. A rather small thin slice of Key Lime Pie. I'l never do Restaurant Week there again - A la Carte would have cost me less for just a salad and an order of baby backs!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- munchieDined on 8/15/2014Thought the ribs were overdone and definitely not "fall off the bone" disappointed.Special Features:
- itpelawVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was terrific, with generous portions for the Restaurant Week menu. (One quibble: Just wish they would have allowed substitutions on side dishes on the Restaurant Week entrees, although I can understand why they didn't.) We'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blue smoke experiencecolombia76Dined on 8/15/2014My husband and I visited Blue Smoke the other day for the start of his 40th birthday celebration! The rib platter and north Carolina pulled pork sandwich were awesome!! The service was great as well. We definitely would go back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & FoodGreatDined on 8/14/2014I surprised my wife for her birthday here because she loves the deviled eggs and food. The food was great and they made a delicious chocolate birthday cake with cheese cream icing. I would definitely recommend the food and cake to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceNYCTechnochicDined on 8/14/2014The wait staff was very attentive and accommodate us although we were an hour ahead of our reservation. My guest had ribs which he enjoyed and I had hush puppies, veggie burger and mac and cheese..very tasty. It was very empty when we arrived but we were seated right next to the kitchen, which wasn't ideal, but the wait staff took good care of us and didn't make us feel rushed although the restaurant filled up quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedGrandhipoobahDined on 8/13/2014I wasn't so disappointed with the portion sizes being so small as the food was just ok. Not sure why they supplied such an impressive steak knife. They cut up the brisket before it even got to the table. Next time please let me know if the Resturant Week Special is really the kiddy menu. Don't know why I said next time.
- Loved around the WorldAlwaysGREATDined on 8/13/2014WONDERFUL as always! Staff was especially great this time. Brought friends from Shanghai, China - two children (ages 12 & 15) with their parents. Even tho they are unfamiliar with western food everyone found something to eat, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the food. From appetizers to desert - not a bit was left. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place to go with nut allergies!FoodallergymomDined on 8/13/2014My son has life threatening food allergies to nuts. We always go to Blue Smoke when we are in NYC because it's the only restaurant he feels confident and comfortable eating at. Plus it's BBQ, which is his favorite. The staff are super friendly and very good about his food allergies. The menu is easy to figure out as far as what is nut free. The food and ambience are excellent and it's very reasonably priced. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- What a great experience!!!!JaymoDined on 8/13/2014Blue Smoke is an awesome spot to go to if you're in the mood for some good American BBQ in NYC!!! The restaurant itself is nice, spacious and moderately quiet (it was 5:30 PM). Service was friendly and well timed. Hands down their best app has to be their Chipotle Chicken Wangs!!! Lol. Will visit again soon....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RibKatoDined on 8/12/2014I have been to this restaurant for a couple of times. Every time I am impressed with tasty foods they offer. Those dishes come quickly. I love their Kansas City barbeque ribs so as their Texas salt and pepper ribs.Special Features:
- Amazing BBQ n the cityrmf223Dined on 8/12/2014I tried Blue Smoke for the first time this past week. The food and service were excellent: decadent mac and cheese, and tasty ribs. We couldn't choose between dessert options, so our fabulous waitress had us try the new cheesecake with the cherry compote on the house in addition to the amazing banana cream pie we ordered. Thank you!Special Features:
- Ideal for group partiesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Service was excellent;waitstaff very attentive.I felt special. The best part:the give-away bag of granola for Restaurant Week patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/11/2014Solid though somewhat unexciting barbecue. Prices definitely reasonable. Fried chicken surprisingly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week Dinner!LaurenB13Dined on 8/10/2014We came for restaurant week and were very pleased. The portions were big (usually for restaurant week I find they skimp a bit on portion size!) and the waiters were all friendly, as opposed to many begrudging waiters who I know hate restaurant week. Everything we had was delicious. We did have a bit of a wait between our appetizer and main course but we were content with our beers and to people watch. At the end we were presented with a bag of house-made granola as appreciation for dining there during Restaurant Week. An excellent touch, which I know Danny Meyer is known for. We had it for breakfast the next morning with yogurt and it was delicious! We would definitely recommend to a friend and will return again. Thanks for a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week dinnerMommaFDined on 8/10/2014Blue Smoke has an upbeat vibe and a big bar. The food was fine but you could get the same anywhere. I found our waiter intrusive even though he kept apologizing for interrupting us. It was noisy and I had trouble hearing my friends. With all the places in New York I would see no reason to return .Special Features:
- Great BBQST1068Dined on 8/10/2014Very good food - I am now obsessed with their macaroni and cheese the meats (we all had something different so we could all try each other’s food) were so tender and juicy and their BBQ sauce was so good! After our meal the waiter brought us each little take home bags of granola, we were all too full to try it but the next day when we did we were blown away by the smoky granola and the sweet dried fruits and the coconut pieces in there was the icing on the cake. Great place will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- special lunchbbqfanaticDined on 8/10/2014The service was excellent. About 5 people participated in serving us thru out the meal. Each one was very friendly.The timing was perfect.The portions were generous. The ribs fell off the bone. The brisket was a little dry. I wasn't a fan of the coleslaw(chopped and plain). The chicken wings were plumper than I like where the skin is fatty but the sauce was good. I'm still craving the banana cream pie. We were given little bags of delicous granola. It was a great added touch. I would definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.