116 East 27th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluesmoke.com/
- Phone: 2124477733x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:30am-10:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jean-Paul Bourgeois
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Be sure to check out Jazz Standard downstairs where there is live music 7 days a week. Shows are at 7:30pm & 9:30pm every night, with an additional 11:30pm show on Fridays and Saturdays.
A word from Blue Smoke
Widely credited as the founder of New York City’s barbecue movement, Blue Smoke celebrates the evolving American South while honoring its culinary traditions. Executive Chef Jean-Paul Bourgeois’ menu combines homestyle comfort with culinary finesse. Classic and specialty cocktails, an extensive American craft beer list, bourbon and American wines complete the experience.Continued
The flagship Blue Smoke, with the club Jazz Standard, is located on East 27th Street in New York City, and a second location opened in 2012 in NYC’s Battery Park City.
The flagship Blue Smoke, with the club Jazz Standard, is located on East 27th Street in New York City, and a second location opened in 2012 in NYC’s Battery Park City.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Blue Smoke - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Blue Smoke reviews from OpenTable diners
343 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (197)great for lunch (124)fit for foodies (113)neighborhood gem (109)kid-friendly (102)vibrant bar scene (83)hot spot (64)special occasion (43)great for brunch (42)late-night find (37)romantic (15)great for outdoor dining (10)notable wine list (9)scenic view (2)Show More
- Warning: The Menu has Changed!DrDiningVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have been a patron of Blue Smoke for years and was very disappointed that the menu has completely changed! Almost all appetizers and most main courses are different (and more limited). Honestly, it has become a much more expensive place to dine (as now everything is 'a la carte' AND they have raised their prices). It no longer has the menu that used to make me come in several times per month. I really hope that they expand/fix the current menu offerings and bring back more of what they once had- I was very disappointed. One good new thing: The Hostesses are all new and much, much friendlier!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Smoke BluesKadiDined on 10/13/2014I had lived in the area for 33 years and was a frequent diner. I even had a special birthday here only two years ago. Since I moved away, when I had a visitor from Ca., I wanted to go back to one of my favorite spots. Unfortunately, the ribs were not very meaty, the spicy broccoli was overcooked and burnt-tasting, and my only savior was the original banana creme pie but the portion was smaller than usual. Also, they changed the menu to a seasonal menu and my old favorites(sweet potato fries, and caesar salad w/chicken) were gone. Go back to your old menu and since you have a new chef, get a quick course!Special Features:
- BBQ in the CityladythatlunchesVIPDined on 10/12/2014Who knew that you could get good barbeque in NYC? We decided to go with two platters of mixed meats as a kind of tasting menu. Two for three was enough to take home some. The Test: Chicken. The barbeque chicken was smoky AND moist. Delicious, it passed the test. The pulled pork had just a hint of vinegar so it was just right and the ribs were deeply varnished with smoke and sauce. They made good eats. Also tried the pimento cheese and sausage, surprisingly good and the mac & cheese, which had the gooey texture and over-cheesed flavor of an old fashioned Velveta-style mac & cheese. That is a good thing. The biscuits, although flaky, were a little disappointing. Overall, "finger lickin' good".Special Features:
- Not Bad, but no CowgirlMarkNYC64VIPDined on 10/12/2014Blue Smoke was pretty good. Can't say how the BBQ was since I had a shrimp po boy...and it was NOT the best shrimp po boy I've ever had, but it was okay. Probably won't be my go-to place in Manhattan for BBQ though. Menu was extremely limited. Service could've been better. Not a bad experience but things were lacking that I noticed, so...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beMsMichelleVIPDined on 10/11/2014Blue Smoke is definitely not what it used to be. I have been here many times before with the old chef and it was always wonderful. You can count on a good time. This time though, the service was slow and not good. On top of that, the portions were small and it took about an hour and a half to get our food.
- Good man's mealRobert009Dined on 10/10/2014Excellent bar-b-que. Very tasty. Dessert (key lime) was very average, but overall excellent meal.Special Features:
- Great BBQReliableVIPDined on 10/10/2014I enjoy getting the variety plate - and you can substitute an item - for example I substituted the brisket for the chicken. The meat does not come with BBQ sauce on it (thankfully) - they provide two types of homemade BBQ sauce on the side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/9/2014I used to adore Blue Smoke, but they recently changed their menu and removed some of my favorite dishes and cocktails. Additionally, the brisket was surprisingly dry and they no longer have the sauces that I love on the table. I used to go to Blue Smoke at least once a month, but now I have no reason to go back.
- On the declineRomeoBravoDined on 10/6/2014I've been going to Blue Smoke for years. Every year I take my buddy here for his bday along with anytime I crave BBQ. The restaurant was very empty and they sat us right by the kitchen & drink station. Waitress comes by and doesn't even introduce herself - takes our drink order and heads off to the bar. In the mean time, they seat groups on each side of us.. with plenty of other open two/four tops available. These tables are so close you cannot ignore your dining neighbors.. The bright side is the food is still good. Historically they've always done something special for bud's bday. Whether it was an app or desert, not even a happy bday from any staff. Yes it was in the open table reservation notes. Not the norm for a Danny Meyer rest.
- great southern foodlovebirdsfromNYCDined on 10/4/2014Great southern food, but somewhat lacking in southern hospitality. I suppose that is expected in a New York restaurant. Overall, still a good experience. Food and drinks came out quickly and was delicious! My 7 pepper rub brisket and my husband's variety meat platter (can't recall the cute name they had for it) had us reminiscing about our old aventures in San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's changed but still deliciousLillethVIPDined on 10/3/2014We were looking forward to the rib sampler that they used to have. But when we got there and noticed the sauce caddy was no longer there, we knew things changed. The ribs are still delicious. I had the Shrimp boil which had the perfect amount of spiciness. We ordered so many appetizers and side dishes that we were really really full so no room for dessert. Service was spectacular. It's different than before but still delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brisket but ok ribsEastsideLeeVIPDined on 10/3/2014The 7 pepper rubbed brisket was to die for but the baby back ribs were very dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunshineVIPDined on 10/1/2014Still enjoying the food after an absence of some time. The menu is good although the portions seem somewhat smaller now while the prices aren't. Our waitress couldn't have been more helpful and courteous which enhanced our experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Danny Meyer gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/30/2014Fabulous b-b-q with just the right mix of casual and serious atmosphere. You can't ask for better or more knowledgeable staff Table always ready at your reservation time, no one rushes you and the selection of foods is terrific. Particularly liked the baked oysters and the pulled pork. Great place for a couple or a crowd. They never miss a detail. Highly recommended. Thank you - we had delicious fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as the first timemeatloverDined on 9/30/2014The chicken wings and the ribs were too hard and dry. Juicier would be better.Special Features:
- geat experiencedrewDined on 9/29/2014had great time. pulled pork was amazing and I am from NC. Added bonus is jazz show downstairs in the Jazz StandardSpecial Features:
- Missed the markOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014Had been looking forward to trying Blue Smoke for a long time, but was thoroughly disappointed with my first experience. The first thing I noticed, was the prices - way too high for what they are offering. Secondly, everything is a la carte.. $20+ for a plate with meat a piece of cheap white bread a 2 slices of pickles is not what I call a meal. So if you want to add a starch or vegetable, be prepared to spend about $9 per side! We ordered the mac n' cheese, expecting it to be amazing.. It tasted like Velveta that had hardened into a coagulated brick. Did not taste "premium" or even homemade. The "heirloom" tomatoes where mushy and they added cherry tomatoes (a cheap filler) to the dish.
- LunchWalkingDunnDined on 9/28/2014Pulled pork was delicious, Mac n cheese was creamy and delightful, you have to have the deviled eggs and chips! The Blue Smoke Pale Ale was great and the house bourbon was smooth and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Gem.sarahxtinaDined on 9/27/2014The food was great, the hush puppies were addicting the mac and cheese was creamy and buttery the ambiance was fantastic it's was lively and the service was friendly and speedy not to mention the extensive drink list. This place is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mac cheeseTeganDined on 9/27/2014A real smokehouse atmosphere and good food. Generous on the portion size too do make sure your eyes are not bigger a than your belly at this place. Note, it was essential to book on SaturdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 9/27/2014Blue Smoke has a new chef who has trimmed the menu, altered a few old stand-by dishes, and added several new ones. But he has neither raised nor lowered the restaurant's quality. It's still very good, if not quite fantastic. Both the service and the ambiance are as convivial and welcoming as ever. Blue Smoke is reliable, casual fun.Special Features:
- Always excellentSharcatDined on 9/24/2014Ours was a work lunch (group of 6) and everyone at the table commented on how delicious their main course was - presses beef with pimento cheese sandwich was raved about and brisket is always out if this world. Loved fried bread and deviled eggs appetizers, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and menu has been betterbmeyersDined on 9/23/2014Ate at Blue Smoke on a Tuesday Night. I remember the menu being more substantial, with a selection of types of ribs, and more variety. The selection of sides was disappointing. Food was good, but has been better. Too many better BBQ places to go back.Special Features:
- Excellent foodCg77Dined on 9/23/2014We had food from the lunch menu and it was all excellent and reasonably pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meat lover's delightnyctouristsDined on 9/21/2014We were disappointed to find that there were no sides with the meat entree, and our server didn't tell us that. Otherwise we would have ordered additional food to go with the main dish.
- Food was good but service was slowOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014If you live near by, go for the take out. Otherwise, it may not be worth your time. 30 minute wait with reservations - they forgot we were there. We asked again and the empty table behind us was provided immediately... Servers are a bit slow and aloof. Food was good though.
- RanjiDined on 9/20/2014Watermelon salad was extremely flavorful. Rack of Ribs under done. Pulled pork not flavored or pulled into smaller stringsSpecial Features:
- Blue Smoke 2.0OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Not a fan of the revamped menu. Gone are the different sauce options and some of the great sides (sweet potato wedges). The meats felt abit to spicy this time around. The desserts (bourbon pecan pie) was dry and the key lime was frozen...This is probably coming off our rotation of places to eat out at, which is sad.
- Sub-par BBQMKindVIPDined on 9/17/2014Blue smoke tends to re-heat their cue, which means dry brisket and rubbery ribs. I've been there many times and had the same experience. Their one saving menu item (Beef ribs) was recently removed from the menu, as were specialty sauces from the table. This place has turned into a proper tourist trap.Special Features:
- Blue smoke bdayEmilyDined on 9/16/2014We had a great time at blue smoke! We were celebrating my brothers birthday and the food was great, servers were very accommodating. Definitely would go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better and improvingRickLVIPDined on 9/16/2014I use Blue Smoke as my go to restaurant for 3 things; Fried Chicken, BBQ chips with blue cheese/bacon dressing and bourbon. With time the selection, changes and consistency just keeps getting better. Danny Meyers just won't sit still will he; good for us!Special Features:
- HelenVIPDined on 9/16/2014Excellent, as always. We were a party of 4 - shared chips with dip, slaw & corn dish. Short ribs were great as were the hamburgers. We often meet there for late lunch. Perfect ambiance, relaxing and delicious food.Special Features:
- Surly waiter needs to lighten up!Keelie52Dined on 9/15/2014I know this place is trying to appeal to the blokier end of town, but our waiter didn't crack a smile once! For me this really detracted from our night out with a couple of friends. Food was tasty enough and portions are generous, but I wouldn't go back because of the lack of friendly service.Special Features:
- Eccellente bbqPazzainterDined on 9/12/2014I and my family Washington at blu smoke in friday 12 sep. The rapsody bbq is recommended. Superbs ribs chicken and shoulder. Weforyou@email.we was so satisfated test we returned on Saturday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mor hype than hopeJustGoodFoodLoverDined on 9/12/20141. Wait staff - professional but not overly accommodating. 2. Atmosphere - Crowded, noisy and not enough intimate space. 3. Food - Spare ribs were dry. Portions were generous. Macaroni and cheese was good but had not baked crustiness. 4. I didn't get a down home feel and I cannot recommend it for true barbecue fans. -Sorry, Nate "BBQ Lover"
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/12/2014Overall the food and service were very good...all the sides were delicious!Special Features:
- Still good after all these yearsPastafarianDined on 9/11/2014I first went to Blue Smoke the day after it opened and really enjoyed the ribs -- BBQ was a novelty in NYC at the time, and there weren't too many options. I dined there many times in the early '00's (lunch and dinner)and always had a great meal. I haven't worked in that neighborhood for many years so Blue Smoke fell off my radar - until a few weeks ago. I met a friend there for dinner, had a great time and went back again for lunch last week. It's still good, although it can get noisy in the evening. If you love BBQ and have never been, it's worth the trip. If you haven't been back there for a while, it's worth a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Balanced Menu NeededMjj1289Dined on 9/9/2014I was somewhat disappointed that the entree didn't automically come with sides. The brisket was delicious, but I would have loved a small salad or fries to come with it. Regarding the sides, there are no vegetables. Brussel sprouts, brocolli, spinach - something - would have been nice. There is maque choux, but who knows what that is? Finally, don't order the cole slaw. It's a really lame way to add $5 to the bill. It's nothing but chopped cabbage bathed in vinegar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite the same but goodepoh4Dined on 9/8/2014It has been a while since I was last at Blue Smoke. The menu has changed and there is no longer collard greens or any type of "green" side dish on it. (I miss this!) In fact any BBQ order comes meat solo or just with slices of white bread. Adding sides (i.e. $9 for mac'n cheese??) ups the price substantially for a "complete meal" - but hey, my smoked brisket (fatty) was REALLY DELICIOUS! And the beers on tap were good and pretty cheap $6.50. Staff was friendly, and efficient. Dining room got really noisy as it filled. So you weigh things...Special Features:
- Great ribsfredsturDined on 9/8/2014Excellent St. Louis style spare ribs and milkshake. Fun place to eat and drink with friends. Definitely would return.Special Features: