Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya
187 Orchard St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blueribbonrestaurants.com/rests_sushi_i
- Phone: 2124660404x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 12:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Bruce & Eric Bromberg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: East Houston & Stanton
- Public Transit: F Train - Second Avenue Stop (Allen Street Exit)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is a lot of street parking surrounding Blue RIbbon Sushi Izakaya on both Orchard and Allen Streets between E Houston and Rivington Street. There is a Delancey & Essex Municiple Parking Garage: 107 Essex Street (between Delancey St & Rivington St) Manhattan, NY 10002
A word from Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya
Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya is the newest restaurant created by Chefs Bruce and Eric Bromberg and their partner Toshi Ueki. Located on the bustling Lower East Side, Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya offers an eclectic menu, including a sushi bar with fresh fish flown in daily from Japan, award-winning Fried Chicken, Japanese small plates, and innovative entrees. Offering a full bar and extensive wine and sake list, Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya brings the party for the Late-Night crowd.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (46)fit for foodies (45)special occasion (29)hot spot (27)neighborhood gem (17)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (15)romantic (14)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OmakaseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014Enough said. The omakase was a delicious experience.Special Features:
- Pretty goodtwoturtlesDined on 9/22/2014The fish itself was not that flavorful but the other foods (veggies etc) were outstanding. We saw giant platters of sushi that looked very fun for large groups.Special Features:
- Great findAshotDined on 9/14/2014Nice decor with average food.the service was good , they were attentive to our needs. This place was a late night find opened until 12 midnight on a Sunday which was great .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereBeautifulVIPDined on 9/11/2014Super good sushi and food. No ginger beer for cocktails was a let down but would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Excellent food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Beatiful location and the food is just perfect. Very tastefulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic sushi, on the pricy sidelbovVIPDined on 8/27/2014The sushi and sashimi were absolutely amazing and I was truly impressed by the spicy tuna roll. Usually restaurants cover the rolls in crispy bites and numerous sauces which completely mask the taste of the fish and I was extremely pleased to find that Blue Ribbon was the complete opposite. When a good sushi meal can get up to several hundred dollars per person, blue ribbon is definitely better priced and fantastic to eat at! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Upscale SushiBdgreene13Dined on 8/17/2014Everything is very good at the new Blue Ribbon; just below great. A little overpriced though. Anyways, the filet and truffle app was amazing. Fair warning, if you ask for the Blue Ribbon Sushi Platter for 2 instead of the normal 4, you just get more variety instead of half the sushi. Not sure how that makes any sense, but that's how it goes. Luckily the management was great and fixed the bill promptly.
- NotForMeServiceIsKeyDined on 8/13/2014Maybe I am getting old but this place is just not all it's cracked up to be... At least not for my wife and me. Went here for dinner on a Wednesday night and it was just way too loud. We couldn't hear each other talk. The ambience is definitely not for the romantic. The sushi was just ok... Nothing spectacular and the service was average. Nothing really good or bad to say... Just wasn't our speed. From what we observed, this seemed like a great spot for young, single professionals shooting te breeze.
- Very good sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Very friendly, hot spot location and fantastic sushiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingElaineVIPDined on 8/11/2014I had high expectations but found the food overall disappointing or at best irregular in taste. I wouldn't go back. There was a lovely lounge area so perhaps to meet friends for cocktails.
- Sushi ParadiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014This restaurant will exceed your expectations. The menu is diverse and all-encompassing and the magical dishes that come to your table are beyond anything you've ever experienced. This sushi heaven will be a future destination for us every time we are in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingJiffipopDined on 8/3/2014Very lackluster sushi. For the money spent, you would expect more than just the regular sushi take out fare, but that's exactly what you get. Definite pass. There are much better choices for the cost.
- Good but pretensousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I took my wife here for our anniversary and even with open table table reservation s, we were seated in the bar area, not the main Dining room. The noise level was a bit annoying and the ambience was not romantic. That being said, the food was outstanding. The Shrimp Shumai were the best I ever tasted. Next time I will try Toshi's choice, if there is a next time.
- Great food, a bit too trendyJeffDined on 7/28/2014Really good, fresh sushi served in slightly smaller portions than a real Japanese sushi restaurant and with many western influences thrown in. Non-sushi dishes are available. Ambience is more drinking lounge than serious restaurant; the volume is quite loud, partly from the music and partly from the drunken crowd of mostly yuppies and hipsters. Try the filet mignon sushi - it's quite different (seared, but yes, mostly raw), but extremely tasty. For dessert, the green tea creme brulee is only bested by Sakagura's black sesame creme brulee - my two favorite desserts in Manhattan. Prices seem reasonable initially but get stratospheric quickly as you work to create a full meal from the small portions.Special Features:
- Great mealNelsonnycDined on 7/15/2014Make sure you get an order of the marrow and oxtail fried rice. Not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely food-centric diningpickyeaterDined on 7/13/2014Looking for a cool, quiet room to chill after a hot muggy day, we made a reservation before a movie and were delighted to enter the dark, mystery that is Blue Ribbon Sushi. We spent a lot of money but had incredible cocktails, sake, and ordered tons of small plates to share among five people. The Japan-centric members of our crew were very impressed and even the fish-hater enjoyed her meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome SushiNYCFoodieDined on 7/13/2014My classmate suggested that we get together for sushi since we have not seen each other for 38 years. We have so many things to catch up and this was a great place on a Sunday brunch. I guess everyone was watching the Soccer finals and it was great that we could hear ourselves without any noise from other customers. The service was excellent and the waiter made some suggestion. I will come back here again with the family and will try out the french toast brunch special.Special Features:
- OmakaseLindaVIPDined on 7/7/2014Sat up sushi bar by myself and enjoy every bite that the sushi chef prepared for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/3/2014what a disappointment...came for the BLUE RIBBON name and the "sushi'...instead found ourselves in an over-sized bar with the dance music kicked up to 110 decibels. even the waiter had to yell to be heard. he offered to turn it down but it went back up after five minutes. unnerving . had 3 -4 soused group parties going on so yelling seemed to be the norm. as for the food, sushi was of take out supermarket variety - rice was dry and with several rolls scattered over the plate ( not adhering to the rolls). squid ink rice was dry and tasteless. tea watered down. we were a party of 5 , spent about $70 a head. big mistake, if you are looking for sushi stick to their original blue ribbon sushi resto.Special Features:
- super sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014The simplicity of the dishes coupled with the novelty and freshness of their contents was a real treat. The service could be faster and more efficient. The noise level lower with less raucous music during dining hours. But the food makes up for it all. An amazing encore was found in the warm gingerbread pudding with vanilla ice cream. The sake and beer assortment was well appreciated.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014Found this place when looking for sushi places in this area. Food was very good- to excellent. Service was great. Expansive Sake selection. High quality sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service everJuliaTDined on 6/26/2014Best service, great sake options, delicious rolls. My boyfriend and I just loved it. If you go there I hope you're lucky and have Raymond as your waiter!Special Features:
- cool spot OK foodNSDASPDined on 6/25/2014expensive for average quality food/fish....even for NY. Nice scene. $20 for one piece of 'special' tuna...should be pretty amazing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014Great scene and décor -- the place had a good vibe especially as it filled in through the evening. The starters and specials where interesting, unique -- very, very good. Would definitely recommend -- classics like tofu and seaweed but with a twist and a clear cut above normal. The sushi was good -- but maybe not outstanding relative to other choices in price range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, a bit expensive thoughdhkjhgjaihVIPDined on 6/21/2014I threw a little party for a friend here. The food was great, very good quality sushi and the warm plates were also very good. The service was good, the drinks were very good as well. My only real issue was that the price was a bit high for what you get. Also, I'm surprised the omakase only includes sushi/sashimi and not any warm plates as well, especially for a restaurant that seems as high caliber as this and already has warm food on the menu. A good omakase will usually have grilled foods, soup, etc. So instead we were left to order a la carte. And realistically if you are ordering as much as we were, a la carte salmon shouldn't be $5 a piece...so I definitely need to knock a point off for price.Special Features:
- Great Sushi!EastsiderDined on 6/9/2014Super fresh fish! Service is delivered by knowledgeable staff, sometimes not always available.Special Features:
- Just a normal sushi restaurantmoreyritaDined on 6/7/2014Just a common sushi. Not bad, but not a place to remember, really far, far away from a 4 stars restaurant as I saw, and decided me to attend this place.
- Attentive & High Quality ExperiencedindinDined on 6/7/2014The service was lovely on a Saturday Evening. We sat at an nice booth. Attentive to refilling our water, bringing drink, apps, and entree in a nicely timed sequence. The salmon was excellent & high quality and we truly enjoed the evening.Special Features:
- The following 107 reviews are from the Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya reviews archive.
- Well doneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2014As a native Japanese foodie, I did appreciate the details of the restaurant, being on the second floor was very Japanese and well done in my opinion (another one; Sakagura is in the basement of an office building.) Sushi was fresh and good despite being Tuesday night. House Sake was amazing (little pricy but worth it). Service was great. Not a thing I can complain. Would have been a weekly place if the price was right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but expensiveGregVIPDined on 5/27/2014I enjoyed the meal, but it was overpriced for what it is. This applies to the appetizer as well as the entrée.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud and mediocre2dis2cDined on 5/10/2014There are many better places in NYC. The quality of the fish was ok, but nothing really popped. Could not find anything to love, food, decor or otherwise. Shame.
- Great FoodwasabiDined on 5/10/2014The food and service were great. This is definitely one of notable sushi places in New York. The space is large and beautiful. The only thing that was ruining the ambience was a loud house music. My preference is not to feel like I am in a club while dining.Special Features:
- good food expensiveToisyDined on 5/9/2014It was our wedding anniversary and we wanted something special and different from good Italian (Maiolino) and French restaurants we love in the city, so decided to try this. We made a res. 1 wk in advance, were seated across from the bar, very noisy(should have asked for a different table when we arrived) and a standing crowd gathered right by our table laughing and loud. We ordered Toshis choice $85 each and than waited 30 minutes before any food arrived. The food was impressive, interesting and very good, but the wait and the atmosphere certainly detracted from our enjoyment.Special Features:
- Awesome sushi and non-sushi jointSuzyVIPDined on 5/1/2014We live in Miami Beach, where there are many good sushi places so I wasn't originally interested in having sushi in NY. I am glad I changed my mind! Not only did Blue Ribbon have great sushi, but the chicken liver spread on toasted challah was excellent as was the bone marrow. I also absolutely recommend the Hamachi collar. Top notch! Open a Blue Ribbon in Miami Beach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would Not returnpab2025VIPDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant is super expensive and the value for money is terrible. We had NO alcohol and ended up paying over $60/head for 4 small starters and 7 sushi rolls for mains. The Sushi rolls were only 4 or 6 pieces each and super small. This was not stated on the menu. I was hungry when I left. Their house special roll is $26+ which turns out to be about $30 when you add tax and tip and was tiny and not great. I am a fan of the other blue ribbon restaurants/bars, but this was just not up to scratch.
- good sushifdnyVIPDined on 4/24/2014pricey but it's good sushi. and a cool, if trendy environment. i liked the vegetable assortment (spinach, bean sprouts, spicy cucumber and heart of palm) ... rock shrimp tempura was nice/good sauce ... yuzu drink was interesting ... and mochi was really good -- we tried the green tea, and the vanilla mochiSpecial Features:
- Overall great experience!littletinkercityDined on 4/18/2014My wife and I were looking for a very late dinner but wanted it to be a foodie experience with great ambiance. Izakaya did a great job of providing just that. As with Blue Ribbon in Soho, one could easily miss the door if you didn't look carefully enough as you pass it on Orchard St. The sushi and cocktails complimented each other really well and we were fortunate enough to sit next to a great couple who we started to chat with. They had a bottle of Sake they couldn't finish on their own - catalyst for great conversation which led to a few recommendations for what we should do next that night! Definitely worth the visit if you're out as a group or on a date - or even on your own. :)Special Features:
- Decadent and EXPENSIVEMrSushiLovaDined on 4/17/2014We went all out and spared no expense and had a great meal. But we paid for it. Would not be good on a budget.Special Features:
- Very Fresh SashimiLisbonDined on 4/14/2014Great tasting fresh sashimi and sushi! Nice service too, a birthday candle on top of desert for my daughter at the last minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!YadiDined on 4/12/2014Well priced- Fresh and delicious!!! We ordered the Sushi and Sashimi specials .... really an amazing selection of fish. We arrived a little late but the happily accommodated us even though it was a Saturday night! Definitely recommend this place !!Special Features: