Blue Ribbon Brooklyn
280 5th Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11215Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Ribbon Brooklyn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blueribbonrestaurants.com/rests_brass_b
- Phone: 7188400404
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, <
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Bruce & Eric Bromberg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
A word from Blue Ribbon Brooklyn
At Blue Ribbon Brooklyn you will find a warm, knowledgeable and friendly staff, an extensive wine, sake and specialty drinks list, and a something for everyone menu, including steaks, chops, seafood, raw bar and a full sushi bar. We have received awards for "Best Restaurant in Brooklyn," “Best Sushi in New York,” “Best Fried Chicken,” and "Best Kid Friendly Restaurant in NY” among other awards. Blue Ribbon Brooklyn is perfect for a special occasion or any night of the week. A Brooklyn original in Park Slope, near the new Barclay’s Center and Brooklyn Academy of Music cultural district.Continued
Blue Ribbon Brooklyn is open 7 days a week for dinner.
Blue Ribbon Brooklyn is open 7 days a week for dinner.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Blue Ribbon Brooklyn - Best Restaurants in Downtown Brooklyn ›
Blue Ribbon Brooklyn reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (25)romantic (22)kid-friendly (22)good for groups (15)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (11)notable wine list (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Blue Ribbon Brooklyn is wonderful- the food is excellent as is the service. I would recommend to all my friends. Certainly kid-friendly without feeling like a romper room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationRednose63Dined on 10/24/2014Took my family here for dinner on Friday night for a birthday celebration. Appetizers and dinner were amazing. I had the scallops with pumpkin purée special for dinner and it was fantastic. We will definitely be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceColorMeNYDined on 10/23/2014We came here for my boyfriends birthday .. Really cute and romantic and great food, sangria, dessert and service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodBklynCanadianDined on 10/17/2014Everything is perfect, It has to be perfect: to forget how long we have to look for parking. The Canadian oysters, OMG !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service did not match the foodjaoren99VIPDined on 10/3/2014The entire experience was sullied by the sub-par service. Waiter was nice enough but seemed harried and slightly green. He asked if we wanted bread, we told him we did, but never got it, and it was a challenge to flag him down. Each course took a long time to come out and the waiter didn't check on us, nor did he preemptively tell us where the food was. The fried chicken is second to none, as are the desserts, but for what we are spending, we expect better service.Special Features:
- CheeseDined on 10/1/2014My wife and I went there to celebrate our twenty eighth wedding anniversary and could not have been more pleased , we arrived early and sat at the bar for a drink and the staff was so nice and helpfull and very friendly we could have stayed there all night. We were seated exactly at eight pm and the manager was one of the highlights of our evening, he was kind and gracious and made us feel like we were family. When our dessert arrived he had candles placed in them and gave us two glasses of dessert wine to enjoy with it. We will be going back on October 28th for my birthday and any other occasion I can think of even if it's just to have dinner and drinks at the bar. Thanks to the entire staff for a wonderful and memorable anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date-night satisfactionsoldierdoctoreatDined on 10/1/2014"Date night" for a couple married 10 years. Wanted a nice environment to talk and laugh, drink and eat. BR delivered. Gracious not cloying service, excellent cocktails, nice surroundings. The food -- oh. My wife loved her seafood, but . . . my BBQ pulled pork, served "open-faced" on a sliver of crispy bread with mashed potatoes and corn-heavy succotash. Oh. I have to say this: if only I could, I want pulled pork PRECISELY like this every time for the rest of my life; ridiculously tasty and satisfying. Chef sent out a special dessert of fromage blanc and vermouth-soaked pears that was to die for. In short, a wonderful meal on our first date night. Thanks, guys. We'll be back.Special Features:
- I love this PlacefellowshipDined on 9/25/2014I have gone to Blue Ribbon many times and I will definitely return. I love this place. They are very attentive and aim to please. I have gone there many times and always choose it as the spot for mini reunions with my friends from high school and college. We always gave a great time.Special Features:
- Marvelous FindBertVIPDined on 9/16/2014We came to celebrate a very happy occasion with my family and we were very pleasantly surprised by not only the extensive menu, the superior service, but the accommodations they make for special dietary needs. The serving staff did not rush us, but the food was timed nicely so that we could actually "dine" without being rushed. The waiter happily told us his recommendations and he was right on. Very good food. Definitely worth our trip in from NJ.Special Features:
- Delicious & AttentiveursalaDined on 9/11/2014First time at Blue Ribbon and food did not disappoint! Especially good were Kale salad and Chocolate bread pudding. While these are on many menus both were done with a delicious twist. Attentive service- waiter was good and nice to see the maître d' /manager also check on customers satisfaction. All said, still expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOthelloDined on 9/6/2014Service was wonderful, along with the staff. All our needs were met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LLL3Dined on 9/6/2014I took my daughter and we had a wonderful evening. The food and service was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SERVICE WAS SURPRISINGLY LACKINGNYCFOODIEDined on 8/30/2014When my mind draws a blank of where to eat, any Blue Ribbon Restaurant is usually a trustworthy option. Food is usually consistently good at any Blue Ribbon Restaurant as is service. The bone marrow and oxtail fried rice were stand-out dishes, which I would certainly order again. However, our server was quite rude, being short with us when we asked questions and behaving as though we were an inconvenience to her. It's a shame that our overall experience could have been great had the service been better. But hopefully, this was just a one-time occurrence that won't happen again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014It was everything i expected. Except they did not take notice of my birthday request. Ive noticed that Open Table and the establishment NEVER read or at least never acknowledge the "special notes" section. there was also one guy that kept coming by our table every 5 min, look down at us, and ask us if everything was ok. Appreciate the concern, but his demeanor was imposing and it was way too frequent to feel comfortable. Created a bit of awkwardness.Special Features:
- Old ReliablesouthsloperDined on 8/13/20144.5 stars. Blue Ribbon is the most consistently superb resto in the Slope, the place to beat. The only drawback is that it can sometimes be a tad loud, but I might just be oversensitive. But the relevant point is that its menu is just so appealing: eclectic, creative dishes in the American vein. My favorite dish might be the oxtail fried rice, but the fried chicken is a real indulgence. The oysters are curated with great care. And while no one would accuse Blue Ribbon of being cheap eats, you absolutely get your money's worth. The burgers, risottos, pasta specials, and paella are all terrific spins on comfort food; the braised beef brisket is an ample helping of heaven. And I've never had an unsatisfying soup here.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014One of my best dining experiences ever. The staff is very attentive. I highly appreciated they went above and beyond my request to have a happy birthday card placed on my table for my fiance, prior to arrival. Without a doubt, I'd recommend this restaurant for anyone to try. Great food and fantastic service.Special Features:
- Still as good but with lessjboyeeeeeeeeDined on 8/9/2014As a customer of Blue Ribbon Brooklyn for the past 8 or 9 years I was disappointed when I sat down and looked at the menu. The sushi bar is comepletly gone as are a number of other items. A once large menu sized down considerably. However, the food has not suffered at all. As usual the daily specials are outstanding (recently had a mushroom risotto, mmm) as well as a particularly lightly whipped cream cheese cake that was ridonkulous. Oh....and the pierogies app, sooooooo nom nom nom. We got half steamed, half fried. Fried ones were the best, doi. Only ding is most of the shell fish in the paella, save the shrimp, were over-cooked....but that dish is so darn good at baseline that it wasn't a BFD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumLizzieDined on 8/1/2014The oysters were heavenly: delicious and fresh. I had the red trout, which was perfect; my husband had a pork sandwich, which he loved. A great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't miss!PizzaSavantDined on 7/26/2014Blue Ribbon achieves a great balance for the seafood-type and steak-type. Go after 8pm when the families clear out for a nice romantic evening. The food is quality every time and a can't miss!Special Features:
- BerniemacDined on 7/24/2014I thought this was a really good experience. The service was very attentive. We had a bunch of appetizers and two dinners for kids. Overall the food was great. Love the extensive kids menuSpecial Features:
- Delicious!GGGGDined on 7/19/2014Have been wanting to try Blue Ribbon for some time now...although pricey, the food is great and service was very accommodating. I love that they have a kids menu that isn't just chicken fingers and french fries, rather they include "adult" type options as well. I'll definitely be making another trip to Blue Ribbon!Special Features:
- VyneDined on 7/12/2014We had a great dinner as we celebrated our anniversary. The food was delicious-the oxtail/bone marrow appetizer was as appetizing as the review we saw on a food show on TV. Great service; the waiters/waitresses were professional and friendly and offered some good tips on wine selection. Very nice ambiance...we felt at home..will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our night. Good food, drinks, and service...a little noisy but had an overall fun vibe. Certainly would recommend.Special Features:
- It's changedBenwahVIPDined on 7/3/2014I used to love blue-ribbon when it first opened. The menu has changed quite a bit though and lots of the old classics are gone. The prices are just as high as they used to be however now the fare is closer to food suitable for a bowling alley. It's refreshing when you are at Brooklyn Bowl, but a disappointment when you expect a fine dining experience. The service was also blah. That said, the food we did order was well executed - oysters on the half shell, steak tar tar, and paella. It just seemed like those were the only appealing options left on the menu.Special Features:
- The following 52 reviews are from the Blue Ribbon Brooklyn reviews archive.
- OkayJonLeviDined on 6/26/2014The server's English was a spot off. He didn't mention that the crab cocktail was 86'd until after we ordered. The food runner asked us if we wanted hot sauce for our oysters. When we said yes he never brought it. The food was great. Beat oysters I've had in a while. The service was lacking.Special Features:
- overall great foodannjDined on 6/21/2014Everything we ordered was great. Oysters, fried chicken, grilled whole fish, and mango and lemon sorbet. However, contrary to all the hype about their bone marrow, it was just so-so. If you're a person sensitive to texture, their bone marrow may be too gelatinous for you. The service was excellent -- very attentive w/o being overbearing.Special Features:
- steveDined on 6/14/201418.50 Hamburger? Really! Food is good but I believe this place is overpriced with a very basic menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Food was outstanding. Waiter was very personal and friendly. Beer cold. Perfect.Special Features:
- Oh man.irachDined on 6/7/2014I would eat here once a week if I could afford it. The oysters were not just impeccable in flavor, but also the shucking was pristine. Not a hint of grit or shell anywhere. The entrees were delicious, though not the most creative thing in the world.Special Features:
- At least my wallet is lighterStuffyDined on 6/5/2014Do love the place and want to remain loyal but could not believe how much BR raised menu prices across the board since my last visit. It seems like entrees went up 15.00 each. Nothing on menu should be over 30.00, especially fried chicken. Left me feeling this couldn't go on forever this way. Our waiter was ok I guess but off-putting. Bring back the BR we know and love and quit the greedy corporate mentality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- baj2Dined on 6/5/2014Great selection of food and good quality. However prices are a bit high. Gourmet prices for what I consider regular dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedeatbrooklynDined on 5/24/2014A friend recommended this restaurant. I'm not sure if it was ever any better. I had the brisket, my girlfriend had the ribs. Both were bland or less than special in a city with many good bbqs. The brisket was of course not bbq, but just had nothing going for it. If you want to slow-cook meat in great spices and wine, great. Do that. Don't cut corners. The vegetables with the brisket were better than the meat. The asparagus side my girlfriend ordered with the ribs was simply steamed asparagus. Nothing on it at all. If you like that, then great, but the worst thing for all this is that it is on the expensive side. You're paying $28-30 for really mediocre meat with few or no vegetables unless you pay for them. Add wine, which was horrible & ..
- suprisingly goodsuezq1013Dined on 5/23/2014I was impressed with my fish dish. It might have been the best fish dish I have had in a restaurant. The hake was cooked perfectly and the tahini sauce was perfect.Special Features:
- Overpriced and overratedPaddlerDined on 5/5/2014This is a less than mediocre place, which is completely overrated and overpriced. The food is not good (neither in taste no in appeal). They "pretended" to understand what "gluten-free" was but then completely screwed it up and eventually came up with plain dish, which looked more like a canteen meal. The "wine by the glass" postion looked more like a shot. Don't go there.
- Something for everyoneLizaDined on 5/2/2014We had three kids and four adults, and everyone was happy. The kids' menu is huge, the staff is totally child-friendly, and the food is very good. It's a little pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- I prefer the one in sohoPelax41Dined on 4/19/2014The ambient is not as warm as soho, But no complain about! Food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brooklyns BestBrooklynLJDined on 4/17/2014It was my first time and I heard great reviews of this place so I thought I'd check it out.The food was delicious, but dinner can get a bit pricey. The ambiance was fabulous yet one of the few things I disliked is that the place can get pretty noisy, I found myself screaming across the table. This might be because everyone is so crammed next to each other. Literally waiters have to move tables for you to get in and out thats how close the tables were. If your looking for a quiet lovely place, this isn't the place to go. I couldn't help but hear everyone conversations, and found that the tables were too small and so close together. Yet the food was delicious and mouth watering. Defiantly would go back, but not for the dinner rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience sub parTerriAshDined on 4/12/2014First time that I dined here I fell in love, not only with the ambiance but overall experience. Saturday night when going there for dinner my standards were not met. The waiter forgot things we requested quiet often, the staff would constantly interrupt our conversation to clean and move tables around us. The bill came before being asked if I would like dessert or another drink. Also, it was a bit noisy well maybe because it was a saturday. I usually enjoy my experience but this particular night I was not impressed, and this being my place of choice to take my boyfriend for his birthday, left me a bit embarrassed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014i've been to this restaurant several times before because it's nice and the food is solid. the beef marrow and oxtail marmalade is amazing and one of my favorites! we also got oysters, fried chicken, and BBQ pulled pork. everything was delicious. i'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again...TwoGerdysDined on 4/3/2014Our waiter was just awful and beyond preoccupied. Our food was mediocre at best. Our drinks were slow in getting to us on a night when the bar was barely full. The manager, not knowing of our dissatisfaction, approached our table to apologize for the kitchen being slow due to a computer issue. However he did little to acknowledge our disappointment when we told him of the above....we thought he might comp us a dessert or two, or send over our coffee on the house.....NOTHING! We did run after us as we were leaving with a "good night ladies see you again soon", to which some of us replied, "no you won't", but again he wasn't concerned with knowing why.