Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen
35 Downing St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blueribbonrestaurants.com/rests_bakery_
- Phone: 2123370404
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday 4:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bruce & Eric Bromberg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Office lunch to-go orders and catering platters available for pick-up.
- Entertainment: Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen hosts Brick Oven wine and beer dinners throughout the year. Please check our website, sign up for our mailing list, or find us on Facebook to learn more.
A word from Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen
Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen is a West Village neighborhood favorite and destination restaurant. Restaurateurs Bruce and Eric Bromberg discovered in 1995 a 140 year-old wood burning brick oven and lovingly restored it and built Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen around it. We now proudly operate the only existing wood fired brick bread oven in New York City using methods learned from our time at Poilane Bakery in France, including challah, matzoh, and classic french baguettes. Our menu is eclectic and varied. Menu highlights include our award-winning Fried Chicken, Grilled Lamb Chops, Beef Marrow, locally caught fish and whole roasted pasture-to-table animals prepared in our brick oven, as well as a broad offering of lighter fare. At the heart of each Blue Ribbon Bakery experience is the wood-burning oven that sends the smell of freshly baked bread throughout the dining room. Don’t leave without walking downstairs to see the bakers in action.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (55)good for groups (23)romantic (22)special occasion (15)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- alexaVIPDined on 10/19/2014the bone marrow was fantastic coupled with the bacon bread; i was disappointed by the brussell sprouts. the delice de bourgogne cheese was my favorite part of the meal!Special Features:
- Off the Beaten Path in the VillageOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter was very knowledgable and helpful right from the start, helping me to decide between two cocktails (the one I got, a margarita, was very good). While I think I would've liked almost anything on the entire menu, the starters excited me more than the entrees. Therefore, I ordered three starters: Beef bone marrow with bacon toast and onion jam, garlic shrimp and chorizo, and baby artichokes with breadcrumbs and parmesan. They happened to be out of the artichokes, and the waiter promised me that the first two would be enough for a meal. They were, and they were both delicious and unique. We finished by sharing the "chocolate bruno", a mix between a flour less chocolate cake and a mousse, which was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Good atmosphere, interesting clientele, excellent service. Waiter was attentive, knowledgeable, friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- feel at home...chazDined on 10/17/2014The staff (from the barman to bus staff to the wait staff) are 100 percent in tune...they know their food & wine, they care about presentation, and are genuinely nice peope...I have been there 20 + times and have ALWAYS enjoyed the meal...check out the 175 yr old oven in the basement! it pre-dates the current building.Special Features:
- A good $18 hamburgerJohnDined on 10/13/2014Love the location tucked away on a side street in the West Village. Big windows let you watch people walk by. A hipster crowd within, in the cozy small room. Banquets make for comfortable conversation. Food is always pleasant and generous portions. You pay for all this. Prices are above what i'd expect to pay even for a hip sandwich joint in NYC. But I guess it's part of the Blue Ribbon brand and for a couple of extra bucks it's not really worth quibbling over.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/7/2014Been to many Blue Ribon Restaurants and they never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Positive ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014We show up about 10 minutes early but the restaurant already had our table ready - great first impression. Food is delicious and loved the complimentary half loaf of artisanal bread - definitely trumps the idea of an after dinner mint. Strongly Recommend.Special Features:
- Updated American food, the best ...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014We went twice - once to scope it out and the second time to bring our out of town friends. We eat out all the time and we are old enough to have already been everywhere and done almost everything. We live on the UWS so this was a subway ride downtown to the neighborhood where we went to NYU once upon a time. We received a nice friendly greeting, our servers were professional and amiable, and the food was great!! Salads are wonderfully fresh, specials very tasty, fried chicken fabulous (we got it both times!), big generous delicious desserts. It's so important that the food is good and the service is friendly! Very nice here.Special Features:
- One of the classicsToddySilverDined on 9/22/2014Set in the most charming neighborhood in Manhattan, this idyllic spot serves up the most amazing gourmet dishes! An NYC must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarvelouscathyeatsDined on 9/22/2014The staff went to great lengths to ensure that our large party of 10 were comfortably accommodated. The food was impeccable, the courses timed perfectly, and a terrific time was had by all (which NEVER happens!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandidinerDined on 9/21/2014We had a delicious meal. Notable was the fried chicken, catfish special, tomato salad and the bread pudding.Special Features:
- Polished service staffFoodstoogeDined on 9/20/2014Always well dressed and friendly, they pretended not to recognize me when I brought a different date. The menu is great, but limited, with seafood and the perennial burger, but their appetizers are always changing. Sardines or grilled avocado always hit the spot. And, since they are, after all, a bakery, nobody serves fresher bread than Blue Ribbon. On a chilly winter's night, one can eat in the basement by the fire of their ovens. So cozy and romantic…hubba hubba!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the corner of Bedford & DowningnycboyVIPDined on 9/20/2014What a nice location in the West Village and excellent food and service.Special Features:
- amazing fried chickenAM101brooklynDined on 9/19/2014so good! the waitstaff serving us did not seem very knowledgable about the menu (e.g., told us the clam chowder was manhattan style but it was really new england style, etc) but he kindly removed items from the check that he had incorrectly advised us on.Special Features:
- A Favorite RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014We met old friends who wish they had never left New York because they don't have restaurants like this in Sarasota! We had a delicious dinner; halibut, salmon and steak tartare; all beautifully prepared and presented. The halibut was served on mashed potatoes with greens which nicely complimented the fish. We all shared the fabulous French Fries. Our server was terrific; very helpful, but he could see that we were busy catching up with our friends and did not hurry us to make decisions. Of course we had the bread pudding dessert...a true splurge and worth it!Special Features:
- Excellent Meal!VG211Dined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful meal. We were a party of three and the service was excellent. All the servers were attentive and accommodating. We all had appetizer. The steamed clams were delicious. The special fennel and tomatoe salad was outstanding. The asparagus were perfect. Our entrees were terrific as well. The fried chicken with warm honey was phenomenal. The tuna special was cooked to perfection. The duck was succulent. We were full but had to end the meal with one order of creme bulee and one order of the bannnana bread with ice cream.Special Features:
- OMG The Chicken Burger is AMAZINGPenguinBenDined on 9/12/2014I eat a lot of beef, turkey and chicken burgers but the Chicken Burger at Blue Ribbon Bakery is like crack. I need my fix once a week. Try it and a little cheddar is that much better! I've only seen the fried chicken there but it looks amazing. Be warned: The prices for lunch are on the high side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for those who enjoy food..telethoughtVIPDined on 9/6/2014Everything about the experience was to perfection. The nicest treatment by all members of the staff. The most informed, helpful and pleasant server, Alex, and food that will stay in memory for a long time. The Fried Chicken alone is worth travelling any distance to have. The Roast Bone Marrow, the Steak Tartare, the Onion Soup... to name some of the wonderful choices to enjoy, were outstanding. A great cocktail list and some really nice wine choices. Like everything in the Blue Ribbon empire, this is another gem. Will be coming back many times and will bring friends and family!Special Features:
- Very nicejenycVIPDined on 8/31/2014The wait staff is very friendly and helpful. I've been here twice so far for special occasions. The fried chicken is ridiculously tasty and I really enjoy the marrow here. It's a lovely restaurant.Special Features:
- Best service ever!KellyDined on 8/24/2014I made a reservation for a farewell/bon voyage brunch. The group was 13 people. We were seated downstairs with a long table - perfect for large parties. The food was good but the service was amazing! Great host, great waiters. One of our tables were slightly wobbly, not too much of a nuisance and the team went above and beyond to stabilize it. Everyone was so friendly! Would highly recommend for food and service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014We all had their famous fried chicken, which was surprisingly light and delicious. Veggie side dishes excellent as well. They are very easy going about substitutions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious every time!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014Great menu that delivers every time. Less crowded than it used to be, which I view as a positive. Get the bread pudding for dessert.Special Features:
- Very pricey for what you getphoebeDined on 8/15/2014Helpful, friendly staff, but this place feels like a bar with expensive - and only decent - food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014The staff (and chef!) were all lovely and charming. They were apologetic about a very noisy group next to us. We had a tour in the bakery and chatted with the chef which was a highlight for me.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014The staff complied to my special request and I thank them for paying attention.Special Features:
- Great, intimate spotMackDined on 7/30/2014Food was great, they even split our food for us into separate plates. The service was outstanding and the ambience intimate without being to stuffy. Really glad I went and would go back.Special Features:
- ctltribecaVIPDined on 7/25/2014the lunch menu is expensive relative to other West Village destinations. Dinner is preferred, especially the fried chickenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysrepivDined on 7/18/2014perfection. great food and service. love the fried chicken and there was a delicious classic gazpacho special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLovetoeatVIPDined on 7/17/2014Fried Chicken & beef marrow are delish. I'll try other dish next time because they look very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Upscale Comfort Food!AHRESQVIPDined on 7/16/2014The food and service at this tiny neighborhood gem were terrific! Do not miss the fried chicken dinner - a perfect balance of crispy outside and moist/juicy and tender inside! The grilled avocado appetizer special was also delicious. Another winner from the folks behind the Blue Ribbon empire.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS!!!!lilamb718Dined on 7/13/2014STEAK TARTARE WAS SOOO GOOD! AND THE BREAD IS OUT OF THIS WORLD ! SERVICE WAS VERY NICE!!!Special Features:
- Always impressivebuckyfromSJDined on 7/12/2014Blue Ribbon Cafe is a MUST every time we are in New York. This year we brought our whole family and now we have made food snobs out of our 21 year old daughter and our two teenage sons. The wait staff is knowledgeable, freindly and first rate. The food is amazing...bone marrow with their amazing bacon bread toast with crispy parsley, steak tartare, grilled avacado with creme fresh. Our 13 year old loved his steak frits.Special Features:
- West Village Neighborhood VibeFoodlover1VIPDined on 7/12/2014This is a mix of old and new Village food and atmosphere. We had a light summer dinner, including a watermelon salad and grilled sardines. Very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2014This restaurant has very friendly staff and who couldn't love a place that offers you free loaves of its bread as you're leaving? I'm sure the latter offering is for late-night diners only, but the BRBK is worth a visit just for its welcoming, comfortable vibe. Our table was wild about the fried chicken and the delectable dessert offerings too.Special Features:
- SOLIDsolidDined on 6/27/2014This is one of my all-time NYC favorites. Service is top notch, and the food is always always excellent. Cocktails are all around super. I don't normally eat steak tartar, but I could eat a pound of BRB's. The bone marrow is among the best in the city, rivalled only by Blue Ribbon Brasserie's.Special Features:
- Great burgersNJfoodieDined on 6/27/2014Our party of 6 ended up ordering the burgers - 3 chicken, 2 beef. One holdout had the trout special. This may be the best burger I've ever had. We didn't go there expecting to order burgers but we were all pleased we did. And the holdout who ate the trout was also a happy camper. We started out with the grilled avocado appetizer special and that too was outstanding. Our waiter was excellent. He never hovered but always seemed to know what our needs were. He picked that were were celebrating a birthday and came over with a candle in our bread pudding, which was also excellent. But what would you expect when it's made of bread from the bakery? I'd definitely go back again. Great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebration dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/22/2014wanted to share this place with my boyfriend so took him on Sunday for dinner (it has always been a favorite but we never went there together)- so much more quiet than a super loud saturday night (sometimes it is so loud in there!)… world cup USA game playing at the bar. Staff was amazing as always (attentive, friendly, knowledgable) and the food was out of this world! Fresh pot of coffee brewed for us. That always goes a long way with me. All good!Special Features:
- emkayDined on 6/21/2014Congested and noisy space but interesting food. Grilled avocado waslisted as side but served as appetizer- amazing flavors. I would return just for that. Happy to see one of my fav wines on extensive wine list. Great lamb chops. I shared everything with my friend and the kitchen split it for us which was ver accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 154 reviews are from the Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen reviews archive.
- awesome!!!!michdVIPDined on 6/17/2014Food is outstanding!!!! The service was on the slow side, and they were out of certain dishes. That being said, they could not have been more gracious, and even gave us desserts on the house because of the inconvenience. I would go back there in a heartbeat!!!!Special Features:
- food was awesomefoodloversVIPDined on 6/1/2014great experience, everything we ate was amazing and service was excellent. can't wait to go back!Special Features: