Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen
35 Downing St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blueribbonrestaurants.com/rests_bakery_
- Phone: (212) 337-0404
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday 4:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bruce & Eric Bromberg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Office lunch to-go orders and catering platters available for pick-up.
- Entertainment: Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen hosts Brick Oven wine and beer dinners throughout the year. Please check our website, sign up for our mailing list, or find us on Facebook to learn more.
A word from Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen
Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen is a West Village neighborhood favorite and destination restaurant. Restaurateurs Bruce and Eric Bromberg discovered in 1995 a 140 year-old wood burning brick oven and lovingly restored it and built Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen around it. We now proudly operate the only existing wood fired brick bread oven in New York City using methods learned from our time at Poilane Bakery in France, including challah, matzoh, and classic french baguettes. Our menu is eclectic and varied. Menu highlights include our award-winning Fried Chicken, Grilled Lamb Chops, Beef Marrow, locally caught fish and whole roasted pasture-to-table animals prepared in our brick oven, as well as a broad offering of lighter fare. At the heart of each Blue Ribbon Bakery experience is the wood-burning oven that sends the smell of freshly baked bread throughout the dining room. Don’t leave without walking downstairs to see the bakers in action.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (52)romantic (22)good for groups (22)special occasion (17)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (15)notable wine list (11)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- ExcellentpuravidaVIPDined on 11/22/2014Every time we go it gets better and better. The food is always great, not heavy, well prepared...the service it's the nicest. And the drinks are fantastic. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect working lunchBklynwriterDined on 11/20/2014We shared a tomato soup, market salad and their blue Ruben sandwich. Nothing to fussy. All the ingredients were fresh and tasty. Soup was decadently creamy -- glad I was with a close colleague to share it. Eat the super thin fries as soon as they arrive before they cool down. Enough space on the table and plenty of midday light to write and share papers too. Wonderful, friendly staff was efficient. Food came out fast but staff never rushed us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/10/2014The before 7 fried chicken and beer dinner is an amazing deal. And, if it lasts, you select a loaf of Blue Ribbon bakery bread when you leave!Special Features:
- Exceptional Meal but Inefficient Bar StaffHKBoyDined on 11/8/2014This was my first visit to Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen but won't be my last. We had a great corner table with a fun "street scene" view. Our server was excellent- attentive, friendly, and provided good recommendations for food & wine pairings. All of our meals were outstanding! My only issue was with the bar while we waited for our table. There was only one bartender and he seemed overwhelmed (the bar was not packed). It took him 10+ minutes to make 3 Martinis. He kept starting each one, then would take a drink order from the restaurant, then take payment from another bar patron on their bill, come back to our drinks, then answer someone's question, etc., etc. A good bartender will focus on one order, finish it, then move to the next task. Or at least efficiently multitask and know priorities. It also appeared he had no bar back support. He lacked efficiency and task management skills. We just watched him in disbelief as he would make one drink for us, then fill another patron's wine glass, then go back to our drink, etc. That being said, it did not diminish our experience as our meal & server were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very mediocre for the price.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014Food was just ok. Very expenaive for what they are serving. Fried chicken for $24 not any better than Popeyes.
- The Chicken Burger is AMAZINGPenguinBenDined on 11/7/2014I've suggested the chicken burger to several fellow diners and now, like me, they are all addicted. I don't know what they put in that thing but it makes my mouth sing. Also, the table bread and butter shouldn't be missed (it will be worth the extra ten minute run)Special Features:
- Mmm yummy steakCJL78VIPDined on 11/5/2014We went here intentionally for the steak, remembering how tasty it was last time, and it didn't disappoint! I was surprised it was only half full at 9pm on a Wednesday and slightly more surprised that despite this the service was not super attentive and the food a little slow. But that tasty, juicy tender steak did hit the spot!Special Features:
- Perfect for brunch or dinner!AnnaDined on 11/2/2014The staff is super nice and helpful...and accommodating! we were a party of 6, had made a reservation and had a perfect spot for the whole family :) The food is not out of this world but you do get great quality...don't forget to have a chocolate Bruno for dessert!Special Features:
- FantasticNYCdudeDined on 10/29/2014Took a client for lunch the other day and every aspect of our experience was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bone marrow and bacon breadDinernatorDined on 10/25/2014Decadent and a celebration of fatty food. Not for the faint of heart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impecccable service AND great FoodMoodywordsmithVIPDined on 10/25/2014You know service is impeccable when the host approaches you about the temperature of your steak, mentions that he notices that its preparation is closer to rare than the medium that you ordered, apologizes profusely and offers to correct the cooking temp. Never experienced this before and will give Blue Ribbon 5 stars across the board for that 1 gesture alone. First class service, fantastic fare. Other restaurants should follow this model. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Ribbon Bakery!!!meatDined on 10/24/2014Consistently great. The bone marrow appetizer with bacon-chunk-encrusted toasted bread... OMG!Special Features:
- Great food, amateur serviceCaToDined on 10/21/2014I hadn't been to Blue Ribbon Bakery in a number of years, and was surprised to find how amateur the service had become for what you'd expect from a restaurant that takes such pride in its food. The waiter described a sweetbreads special, then admitted he had no idea what sweetbreads were. When we asked for a description of some of the cheeses, his answer was "sorry, I'm lactose intolerant." Are you kidding me? I'd expect this from any random restaurant that employs NYU students, but not from Blue Ribbon. The food, on the other hand, was excellent as always. The swordfish that evening was the best piece of fish I'd had in some time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- alexaVIPDined on 10/19/2014the bone marrow was fantastic coupled with the bacon bread; i was disappointed by the brussell sprouts. the delice de bourgogne cheese was my favorite part of the meal!Special Features:
- Off the Beaten Path in the Villageabc123VIPDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter was very knowledgable and helpful right from the start, helping me to decide between two cocktails (the one I got, a margarita, was very good). While I think I would've liked almost anything on the entire menu, the starters excited me more than the entrees. Therefore, I ordered three starters: Beef bone marrow with bacon toast and onion jam, garlic shrimp and chorizo, and baby artichokes with breadcrumbs and parmesan. They happened to be out of the artichokes, and the waiter promised me that the first two would be enough for a meal. They were, and they were both delicious and unique. We finished by sharing the "chocolate bruno", a mix between a flour less chocolate cake and a mousse, which was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Good atmosphere, interesting clientele, excellent service. Waiter was attentive, knowledgeable, friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- feel at home...chazDined on 10/17/2014The staff (from the barman to bus staff to the wait staff) are 100 percent in tune...they know their food & wine, they care about presentation, and are genuinely nice peope...I have been there 20 + times and have ALWAYS enjoyed the meal...check out the 175 yr old oven in the basement! it pre-dates the current building.Special Features:
- A good $18 hamburgerJohnVIPDined on 10/13/2014Love the location tucked away on a side street in the West Village. Big windows let you watch people walk by. A hipster crowd within, in the cozy small room. Banquets make for comfortable conversation. Food is always pleasant and generous portions. You pay for all this. Prices are above what i'd expect to pay even for a hip sandwich joint in NYC. But I guess it's part of the Blue Ribbon brand and for a couple of extra bucks it's not really worth quibbling over.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/7/2014Been to many Blue Ribon Restaurants and they never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Positive ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014We show up about 10 minutes early but the restaurant already had our table ready - great first impression. Food is delicious and loved the complimentary half loaf of artisanal bread - definitely trumps the idea of an after dinner mint. Strongly Recommend.Special Features:
- Updated American food, the best ...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014We went twice - once to scope it out and the second time to bring our out of town friends. We eat out all the time and we are old enough to have already been everywhere and done almost everything. We live on the UWS so this was a subway ride downtown to the neighborhood where we went to NYU once upon a time. We received a nice friendly greeting, our servers were professional and amiable, and the food was great!! Salads are wonderfully fresh, specials very tasty, fried chicken fabulous (we got it both times!), big generous delicious desserts. It's so important that the food is good and the service is friendly! Very nice here.Special Features:
- One of the classicsToddySilverDined on 9/22/2014Set in the most charming neighborhood in Manhattan, this idyllic spot serves up the most amazing gourmet dishes! An NYC must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarvelouscathyeatsDined on 9/22/2014The staff went to great lengths to ensure that our large party of 10 were comfortably accommodated. The food was impeccable, the courses timed perfectly, and a terrific time was had by all (which NEVER happens!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandidinerVIPDined on 9/21/2014We had a delicious meal. Notable was the fried chicken, catfish special, tomato salad and the bread pudding.Special Features:
- Polished service staffFoodstoogeDined on 9/20/2014Always well dressed and friendly, they pretended not to recognize me when I brought a different date. The menu is great, but limited, with seafood and the perennial burger, but their appetizers are always changing. Sardines or grilled avocado always hit the spot. And, since they are, after all, a bakery, nobody serves fresher bread than Blue Ribbon. On a chilly winter's night, one can eat in the basement by the fire of their ovens. So cozy and romantic…hubba hubba!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the corner of Bedford & DowningnycboyVIPDined on 9/20/2014What a nice location in the West Village and excellent food and service.Special Features:
- amazing fried chickenAM101brooklynDined on 9/19/2014so good! the waitstaff serving us did not seem very knowledgable about the menu (e.g., told us the clam chowder was manhattan style but it was really new england style, etc) but he kindly removed items from the check that he had incorrectly advised us on.Special Features:
- A Favorite RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014We met old friends who wish they had never left New York because they don't have restaurants like this in Sarasota! We had a delicious dinner; halibut, salmon and steak tartare; all beautifully prepared and presented. The halibut was served on mashed potatoes with greens which nicely complimented the fish. We all shared the fabulous French Fries. Our server was terrific; very helpful, but he could see that we were busy catching up with our friends and did not hurry us to make decisions. Of course we had the bread pudding dessert...a true splurge and worth it!Special Features:
- Excellent Meal!VG211Dined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful meal. We were a party of three and the service was excellent. All the servers were attentive and accommodating. We all had appetizer. The steamed clams were delicious. The special fennel and tomatoe salad was outstanding. The asparagus were perfect. Our entrees were terrific as well. The fried chicken with warm honey was phenomenal. The tuna special was cooked to perfection. The duck was succulent. We were full but had to end the meal with one order of creme bulee and one order of the bannnana bread with ice cream.Special Features:
- OMG The Chicken Burger is AMAZINGPenguinBenDined on 9/12/2014I eat a lot of beef, turkey and chicken burgers but the Chicken Burger at Blue Ribbon Bakery is like crack. I need my fix once a week. Try it and a little cheddar is that much better! I've only seen the fried chicken there but it looks amazing. Be warned: The prices for lunch are on the high side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for those who enjoy food..telethoughtVIPDined on 9/6/2014Everything about the experience was to perfection. The nicest treatment by all members of the staff. The most informed, helpful and pleasant server, Alex, and food that will stay in memory for a long time. The Fried Chicken alone is worth travelling any distance to have. The Roast Bone Marrow, the Steak Tartare, the Onion Soup... to name some of the wonderful choices to enjoy, were outstanding. A great cocktail list and some really nice wine choices. Like everything in the Blue Ribbon empire, this is another gem. Will be coming back many times and will bring friends and family!Special Features:
- Very nicejenycVIPDined on 8/31/2014The wait staff is very friendly and helpful. I've been here twice so far for special occasions. The fried chicken is ridiculously tasty and I really enjoy the marrow here. It's a lovely restaurant.Special Features:
- Best service ever!KellyDined on 8/24/2014I made a reservation for a farewell/bon voyage brunch. The group was 13 people. We were seated downstairs with a long table - perfect for large parties. The food was good but the service was amazing! Great host, great waiters. One of our tables were slightly wobbly, not too much of a nuisance and the team went above and beyond to stabilize it. Everyone was so friendly! Would highly recommend for food and service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014We all had their famous fried chicken, which was surprisingly light and delicious. Veggie side dishes excellent as well. They are very easy going about substitutions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious every time!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014Great menu that delivers every time. Less crowded than it used to be, which I view as a positive. Get the bread pudding for dessert.Special Features:
- Very pricey for what you getphoebeDined on 8/15/2014Helpful, friendly staff, but this place feels like a bar with expensive - and only decent - food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014The staff (and chef!) were all lovely and charming. They were apologetic about a very noisy group next to us. We had a tour in the bakery and chatted with the chef which was a highlight for me.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014The staff complied to my special request and I thank them for paying attention.Special Features:
- Great, intimate spotMackDined on 7/30/2014Food was great, they even split our food for us into separate plates. The service was outstanding and the ambience intimate without being to stuffy. Really glad I went and would go back.Special Features:
- The following 166 reviews are from the Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen reviews archive.
- ctltribecaVIPDined on 7/25/2014the lunch menu is expensive relative to other West Village destinations. Dinner is preferred, especially the fried chickenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.