Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata
739 East Lake Street
Wayzata, MN 55391Neighborhood:
Wayzata / Long Lake
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bluepointrestaurantandbar.com/
- Phone: 9524753636x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Patrick Donelan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Blue Point accommodates parties of up to 40 in Wine Room or Key West Room
- Private Party Contact: Kristen Nelson 9524753636x
A word from Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata
The Blue Point, established in 1987, is an upscale fresh seafood restaurant located in quaint and beautiful Wayzata across the street from Lake Minnetonka, the metro area's largest lake. We are dedicated to providing the freshest seafood brought in daily from the coasts, it is creatively prepared and coupled with friendly, knowledgeable service and a colorful extensive selection of fine wines. We have had a Wine Spectator award-winning wine list for the past ten years and continue to be committed to upholding this caliber of selection as well as our culinary excellence. We offer a range of comfortable dining atmospheres, ranging from the white table-clothed Wine Room, Key West and Main dining rooms, to the more casual Oyster Bar with tables draped in green-checkered cloths. Our menu offers a variety of unique, delectable entrees and side dishes, featuring an array of seafood, salads, homemade soups and non-seafood options, as well as our famous Key Lime Pie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata - Best Restaurants in Wayzata / Long Lake ›
Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (33)notable wine list (28)romantic (19)vibrant bar scene (12)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (8)scenic view (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014We love Blue Point and have been going there for 10+ years. Our most recent experience was not very good; the featured soft shell crab (which 2 in our party of 4 ordered) was mushy and smelled awful. We chose not to make a fuss, so I can't comment on the restaurant's recovery, but we were pretty disappointed that a restaurant this nice was featuring food that seemed to have gone bad. In contrast, the other items we ordered (seared tuna and steak) were excellent. We will be back, but not probably not as soon as in the past.
- Too old school in a bad wayBakerBakerDined on 8/21/2014I opted to take my boyfriend here for his birthday because of his positive memories of the food and location. Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. The items we wanted were all sold out by 7:30 and the replacements we picked were overcooked. If you want to be a seafood restaurant you can't over cook shrimp. Let alone not having enough stock of fish to even serve most of your dinner customers. I would go back to try again if they promise to hire a chef who can teach his line cooks how to work with seafood. Please also help me understand why the lobster was $60? One of the few dining experiences I've had that involved a large check with buyer's remorse. Should have one back to Piccolo for that price.Special Features:
- Long WaitGrumpyVIPDined on 8/21/2014Fortunately, the food quality made up for the unnecessarily long wait at check-in and the slow service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood & outdoor patioJamesDined on 8/15/2014Blue Point had consistently great seafood at fair prices. Dinner on the patio on a beautiful evening was a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate hereTrvlgurlDined on 8/11/2014This has always been a top "go to" for us to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, etc.Special Features:
- Chefs, not cooks.SpunderdogDined on 8/11/2014New to the neighborhood and were looking for a special birthday dining place - a bit above normal. Have learned to take reviews with a grain of salt. Happy people do not review as often as motivated disparaging ones do. We were a bit tentative about this place but were pleasantly surprised. Monday at 4:30 pm, no one else in the dining room. Bar was already hopping but that is in a separate area. No problem. Waiter was excellent. Just the right amount of care, not too much hassle and never wanting for refills. Started to get busy at 5:00 pm but service never wavered. I had the duck/scallops. Best duck I've had. Wife had the linguine/seafood with marinara. She also found it to be as good as her previous best found in Stillwater at Marx's. :))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodCouple2Dined on 8/8/2014The food, service and atmosphere were very good for our special birthday dinner. It's also the first restaurant that we've been to in a long time that didn't freeze us out with air conditioning. We'll go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent, service sub-parNightfallDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I had a "date night"at Blue Point that was very nice, food was excellent, ambiance charming (we sat outside on the back patio), Scotch selection was solid, etc. However, we were disappointed in our waiter. He wasn't awful, he just wasn't very engaging and proactive for a restaurant of this caliber (and price). He came to our table and just said, "what do you want." No overview, highlight of specials or favorites, questions, recommendations, or dialog. He was just going through the motions and that attitude continued through the evening. I think that while Blue Point is a quaint locale, it will find a strong challenge with CōV now open across the street for our seafood dollars if they can't at least offer top notch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pacingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014we wanted a quiet slow dinner for 2 and our waiter did a great job of helping with our food selections and providing the perfect atmosphere for our 45th anniversary dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently High QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014Blue Point is a "go to" place for us. Reliably good and always enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014The food is always excellent. The oyster selection is great. Really appreciate having a place to get great fresh seafood!Special Features:
- Hip SpotlovedeannaVIPDined on 7/22/2014Went to dinner recently and was blown away by how good this place was. Sat outside and enjoyed a delicious and quiet dinner with my wife. No mosquitos and did not have to shoot across the table. Very romantic. Highly recommended for small parties of 2-4. PS would have liked to see a fun cocktail list of drinks new and old in sections of spirits ie gin drinks, rum, vodka, whiskey, etc... Overall a 10! Thanks Blue Point! We loved your place and will return ASAP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marred by Indifferent ServiceBeSpoiledDined on 7/15/2014Good food, inspired flavor combinations, but the dining experience was marred by very indifferent service. We'll go back, but if the level of service doesn't improve, it will be our last time.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerEMacDined on 7/7/2014My husband and I had a late dinner here for our anniversary and the food was outstanding! Everything we ate was amazing and the wine list was even better. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Decent but inconsistentMagnetDined on 7/5/2014The seafood was quite good but the simple burgers were off the Mark. The server was on top of the service but the cooks missed many things. If you don't customize your ride this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service on 6/28/14JeffSSDined on 6/28/2014Unfortunately we did not have a very good experience, as we were celebrating anniversary's. The food and atmosphere were good, but the service was not. Among the issues, one meal was 15 minn's late due to being dropped before it was delivered to our table. We sat and waited, with little or no communication to help the situation. The service issues were brought to managements attention, and still did not get any urgency to help remedy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014The blackened fish tasted burnt. Awful! The other 3 entrees were good. Will never order blackened anything at Blue Point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Blue Point always has great food and the service is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, disappointing service!UnrealVIPDined on 6/27/2014For the most part the food was very good with the exception of the gumbo soup which had a crusty layer on top like old pudding. The shrimp was excellent as was the salmon. For a Friday night service was horrible one server for the entire bar, which has 8 tables. She couldn't handle it things were coming and going haphazardly not in any order. I may go back but not soon.
- Heard this place was fancy...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/24/2014Upon arrival at the host stand we were asked "How can I help you".....wait- are we at McDonald's?!? That set a poor first impression. I asked a question about the menu and the waitress used the word "obviously" in her explanation. Obviously- it was not obvious, hence the question. Way to make your guests feel stupid. The scallop dish was so salty we could not eat it. Halibut was extremely over cooked- also unedible. The bread was great. The semi-freddo was rock solid frozen. Creme Brulee was good. It was nice that the waitress comped our entire meal since we didn't eat it. Surprised a manager never stopped out. Was our Wedding Anniversary- left hungry and disappointed.
- Excellent ExperienceTechWillyDined on 6/24/2014Great seafood. The softshell crab was fantastic! This restaurant lives up to its reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint-impressed the out of townersgardengirlDined on 6/20/2014I was looking for a great "local color" restaurant west of the Twin Cities for dinner for some old friends from Houston. Blue Point was the perfect place. Dinner was not cheap, but also not crazy expensive ($30 range). Everyone at the table got something different for their main dish and quite pleased with their dinner choices. I had the the Corvina in parchment with artichoke, tomato, and capers and it was amazing. We also wished we had had our nightcap there as they had a large selection of port.Special Features:
- Wonderful!shawbadVIPDined on 6/14/2014we live nearby, but sometimes forget about Blue Point! We made a last minute reservation on a Saturday night and were able to get in. It was already pretty busy, but the service was attentive. The food was fabulous and the wine list extensive. Wasn't difficult to find exactly what we wanted.Special Features:
- Fine Dining in WayzataBigDogVIPDined on 6/14/2014Blue Point offers a classical continental dining experience with an emphasis on fresh seafood. The service is excellent and the also have an extensive though pricey wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafood in Western SuburbsHappydinerVIPDined on 6/11/2014The duck and scallops were very good. Scallop appetizer is very good as an entree. Gumbo seemed to be missing something. Oysters were very good. Service goodSpecial Features:
- Good spotDBRADYDined on 6/9/2014...went on a quiet Monday night and sat in the sidewalk window... We actually had 5 appetizers instead of entrees and the food was pretty good. Excellent oysters and crabcakes as well. The wine list is phenomenal. The service and management is excellent and definitely adds to the customer experience.Special Features:
- Absolutely exceptionalAnnhfDined on 6/7/2014Best oysters and friendliest service in the Twin Cities! Exceptional dining experience. Great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lacking in atmosphereYumyumDined on 6/5/2014Food was very good. Service was average. Bar is dark and too small. Restaurant needs updating.Special Features:
- BirthdayBLONDIEVIPDined on 5/23/2014I have not had a bad meal here! just a special place for special occasions Love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2014We had a very rude waiter .......my drink was wrong, he had to get another, after he brought, he never returned to offer us anything nor did he make eye contact. Completely avoided our tableSpecial Features:
- kelseadadDined on 5/20/2014Food and service was great. Not inexpensive but worth the money spent for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Point always scoresOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014My favorite haunt when I visit Minneapolis is the Blue Point in Wayzetta...always lives up to my fond memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well prepared seafoodP2LenDined on 5/17/2014Arrived bout 15 minutes after our reservation but still seated promptly. Bit noisy, but helps that the bar is separated from the restaurant. Great wine.Blue crab cakes very good, Pan fried oysters not good- too spicy, coarse crust overwhelmed the delicate oyster texture/taste. Coconut curry fish stew was great- a really unique taste combo. Fish gumbo was OK, mostly tomato sauce and okra with rice. Main course : Marlin very good, but overcooked. Granted, cooking firm fish like swordfish and marlin is difficult, but for the price , it should have been better. Monkfish was cooked well, but overwhelmed by a too pungent tomato sauce which I scraped off. Key lime pie for desert was very good. Overall a nice seafood eatery for the Midwest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great... Then why 3 stars?UnrealVIPDined on 5/11/2014The food was excellent, the service was horrible! One thing I hate at restaurants more than anything is when they have runners tat aren't allowed to do anything but run the food out of the kitchen. Our food was brought out to a collapsible stand and left there, a mere 6 feet from our table, for all to look at and wait. We thought it was ours but not quite sure. If we had known I would have gotten up and served it myself. The food sat there for 15 minutes. No I understand that things happen, But this went on all night for every table, including bread! One last thing. Kids under X shouldn't be allowed in the bar, it's a quiet bar and these 2 children ages 5 just ran around and screamed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood haven!HEIDIANNEDined on 5/11/2014Our group of three ordered the Halibut, Scallops and Salmon and each dish was cooked to perfection. It had been a very long time since I had thick scrumptious Halibut like this. The bread basket was filled with inviting treats. It was a memorable Mother's Day.Special Features:
- Happy Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014On Mother's Day I spent 196 dollars only to be served cold inedible food in a room full of five screaming toddlers.Special Features:
- ExcellentluvswineDined on 5/10/2014We've been at Blue Point before and had high expectations for this past Saturday night. We were not disappointed; the food and service were excellent. We stopped in the bar area after dinner to have an after dinner drink and were once again treated to a high level of friendly customer service.Special Features:
- One of our FavoritesSkier1VIPDined on 5/9/2014We love Blue Point! It's our go-to restaurant for date night. Their specialty is very fresh seafood & it looks like it belongs on the East Coast. (A list of featured seafood is on the board when you walk in & the menus change according to what is fresh.) Though not on the water, it is on the main street of Wayzata, across from Lake Minnetonka. A perfect location for a stroll along the water after dinner. Lots of parking both on the street & behind the restaurant. The crowd is made up of families, couples as well as business diners. The service is always attentive, but not intrusive. They have a very good wine list & they make my specially requested martini perfectly every time. The food is consistently good. We always enjoy Blue Point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2014We usually eat at Blue Point 2 or 3 times a year. Absolutely the worst service we've had at Blue Point; slow and unfriendly. One meal was "late" because it was over looked, either by the kitchen or waitress. Everyone was done eating when it arrived. Total diner time was 2 1/2 hours. Overall, the food was good but service level has been declining over the years.
- The following 610 reviews are from the Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata reviews archive.
- New England's Best Brought to MNMuhsnMinnDined on 4/18/2014We were looking to make Good Friday a little more special for the four of us, and Blue Point in Wayzata did just that! The mussels in white wine were amazing and very plentiful. The blackened swordfish was meaty and tender. The monkfish lived up to it's nickname as the poor man's lobster, really flavorful. And the crab claws were abundant and made easy to enjoy. We enjoyed some amazing wines by the glass. Plenty to choose from. We also shared the fresh mango sherbet and a super creamy creme brule. The service was attentive without being distractive. And the ambiance has a little of that old world feel you would want to match the full New England experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.