Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata
739 East Lake Street
Wayzata, MN 55391Neighborhood:
Wayzata / Long Lake
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bluepointrestaurantandbar.com/
- Phone: (952) 475-3636
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Patrick Donelan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Blue Point accommodates parties of up to 40 in Wine Room or Key West Room
- Private Party Contact: Kristen Nelson 9524753636x
A word from Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata
The Blue Point, established in 1987, is an upscale fresh seafood restaurant located in quaint and beautiful Wayzata across the street from Lake Minnetonka, the metro area's largest lake. We are dedicated to providing the freshest seafood brought in daily from the coasts, it is creatively prepared and coupled with friendly, knowledgeable service and a colorful extensive selection of fine wines. We have had a Wine Spectator award-winning wine list for the past ten years and continue to be committed to upholding this caliber of selection as well as our culinary excellence. We offer a range of comfortable dining atmospheres, ranging from the white table-clothed Wine Room, Key West and Main dining rooms, to the more casual Oyster Bar with tables draped in green-checkered cloths. Our menu offers a variety of unique, delectable entrees and side dishes, featuring an array of seafood, salads, homemade soups and non-seafood options, as well as our famous Key Lime Pie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata - Best Restaurants in Wayzata / Long Lake ›
Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (33)fit for foodies (26)romantic (25)notable wine list (24)vibrant bar scene (13)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Blue Point Is Blue ChipBillDined on 11/14/2014Blue Point is one of the best seafood restaurants of my acquaintance, and I have dined in many such restaurants in many cities. I highly recommend it to anyone seeking a special evening of fine dining and exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HnakDined on 11/8/2014Great food and atmosphere. Would recommend for sea food.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/20144 people - $300 - included in that was a bottle of wine and a couple of cocktails. Had the seafood gumbo which was cool on the sides, warm on top, hot on the bottom - obviously had been microwaved - not acceptable for the price. Ordered the bacon-wrapped scallops - received three scallops - $30. Again, too much for what was served. All in all, disappointing. Plus, server disappeared during the middle and had to wave down anot6her server to refill water glasses.Special Features:
- Special dinnerenjoyyourfoodVIPDined on 11/1/2014Everything was fabulous! Our server was knowledgeable and made great recommendations. I was glad that the menu has changed and they have added some new entrees and salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencemandelion17Dined on 11/1/2014My boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Blue Point. The service was wonderful, the food was excellent, and the portions were appropriate. We chose Blue Point for a special occasion and were not disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014We had the duck with scallops. The duck was dry. The mashed potatoes with onion rings were common. Our guests had the blackened swordfish. There was nothing to rave about here either. Very disappointing fare for a special event for us.
- Everything done rightBulldogDined on 10/24/2014The restaurant feels like an East coast Cape Cod restaurant with its wooden floors and decor. Service is seamless and subtle. Every course was perfectly done. The three of us each loved our fish servings. Salmon and halibut were perfectly cooked and fresh. There are no down sides here. Blue Point been here for 20+ years with the same owners, and their touch on each part of the dining experience shows.Special Features:
- AwfulQCCoinDined on 10/10/2014Overcooked, cold & flavorless. Outdated menu & decor
- Great Dinner experiencebetsyDined on 9/27/2014Went to Blue Point to celebrate a birthday and had an outstanding experience. We had excellent service and the food was exceptional. We ordered scallops as an appetizer and they were absolutely delicious. The Alaskan halibut was also cooked to perfection. In addition, a piece of key lime pie was given to the birthday person complimentary. All in all, it was a great experience and I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatlengVIPDined on 9/19/2014I want to love this place because I love fish and seafood and it's close to home, but I feel like it's just okay for the price. I've had appetizers in the past that were pretty good, but the entrees have been nothing special and this time was no exception. I had salmon on a tomato salad (which seems like a somewhat strange combination and was). At this time of the year I would expect the tomatoes to be fabulous but they weren't. The salmon was good, but nothing special.
- We will NEVER go backVIPReviewerVIPDined on 9/19/2014My wife has Nut allergies. We ordered a salad and asked to make sure there were no nuts on it. Well to our surprise, there were nuts hidden in the bottom and my wife accidentally ate one of them. We also had a bottle of wine that was just opened for $105. After she ate the nut, the panic set in. We raced to find the server to get whatever bill we should have paid and race to the hospital. The manager asked if we wanted to cork the wine and take it with us. We just raced out of there because the clock was ticking after I injected her with the Epi Pen. I was so angry that we had to spend our night in the hospital and then I was furious that we had to pay for a bottle of wine that we did not drink AND pay for the hospital bill.
- Rgbiv22Dined on 9/19/2014We have dined at the Blue Point in Bloomington and had an outstanding dining experience, and we were expecting the same at the Wayzata location....wow, were we wrong. Upon being seated at the restaurant, we waited 10 minutes before we were approached by the wait staff. The first person to arrive just brought us water, and then it was another 10 to 15 minutes before the server came over to take our drink order, which waited another 15 minutes for. We were pretty much ignored by the wait staff the entire evening, unless we were able to flag them down to get them to come to our table. We were willing to overlook the poor service in the hopes (and expectation) that the food would be amazing. Again, we were wrong.
- Great local restaurant!mspfoodieDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I had dinner Saturday evening. Our reservation was at 6:30pm and by time we got there, it was already lively with diners. It was nice to see Wayzata was busy, the sun was shining and so the bar was filling up too. We had a tough time deciding what to order as many items on the menu sounded delicious! I was torn between the duck, lobster, gulf shrimp, finally settling on the Alaskan Halibut which just melted in your mouth. Not only great food but several of my favorite chardonnay's were also on the wine list which could be ordered by the glass or bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotboatfolksDined on 9/12/2014Always enjoy dinner at Blue Point. Food is consistently excellent.Special Features:
- outstanding as usual!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We have eaten at the Blue Point many times and have never been disappointed. The food is prepared to perfection, the service is outstanding. I would highly recommend it to anyone in NW Minneapolis area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014Just average - A little pricy for the meal. Had salmon that should have been brought to the table a little quicker. It could have been warmer. The meal did have flavor but overall presentation was lacking...
- Good food,expensive for what u get!10YrsMarriedDined on 9/5/2014Food was yummy but not the serving sizes were very small for the prices they charge. Our waiter was great, noise level comfortable, place could use dusting & an updated ceiling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck and scallops were great but...lifeisgoodDined on 9/5/2014the fish in parchment paper recommended by the server was disappointing. Seemed like the fish was not fresh. The flavor was flat and not at all what I have experienced from similarly prepared dishes. Also rather sad that when we booked on Open Table for this dinner, I mentioned in comment box that we were celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary and that we had gotten engaged at this restaurant 28 years ago. Not even a "happy anniversary" wish was given. :(Special Features:
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014We love Blue Point and have been going there for 10+ years. Our most recent experience was not very good; the featured soft shell crab (which 2 in our party of 4 ordered) was mushy and smelled awful. We chose not to make a fuss, so I can't comment on the restaurant's recovery, but we were pretty disappointed that a restaurant this nice was featuring food that seemed to have gone bad. In contrast, the other items we ordered (seared tuna and steak) were excellent. We will be back, but not probably not as soon as in the past.
- Too old school in a bad wayBakerBakerDined on 8/21/2014I opted to take my boyfriend here for his birthday because of his positive memories of the food and location. Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. The items we wanted were all sold out by 7:30 and the replacements we picked were overcooked. If you want to be a seafood restaurant you can't over cook shrimp. Let alone not having enough stock of fish to even serve most of your dinner customers. I would go back to try again if they promise to hire a chef who can teach his line cooks how to work with seafood. Please also help me understand why the lobster was $60? One of the few dining experiences I've had that involved a large check with buyer's remorse. Should have one back to Piccolo for that price.Special Features:
- Long WaitGrumpyVIPDined on 8/21/2014Fortunately, the food quality made up for the unnecessarily long wait at check-in and the slow service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood & outdoor patioJamesDined on 8/15/2014Blue Point had consistently great seafood at fair prices. Dinner on the patio on a beautiful evening was a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate hereTrvlgurlDined on 8/11/2014This has always been a top "go to" for us to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, etc.Special Features:
- Chefs, not cooks.SpunderdogDined on 8/11/2014New to the neighborhood and were looking for a special birthday dining place - a bit above normal. Have learned to take reviews with a grain of salt. Happy people do not review as often as motivated disparaging ones do. We were a bit tentative about this place but were pleasantly surprised. Monday at 4:30 pm, no one else in the dining room. Bar was already hopping but that is in a separate area. No problem. Waiter was excellent. Just the right amount of care, not too much hassle and never wanting for refills. Started to get busy at 5:00 pm but service never wavered. I had the duck/scallops. Best duck I've had. Wife had the linguine/seafood with marinara. She also found it to be as good as her previous best found in Stillwater at Marx's. :))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodCouple2Dined on 8/8/2014The food, service and atmosphere were very good for our special birthday dinner. It's also the first restaurant that we've been to in a long time that didn't freeze us out with air conditioning. We'll go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent, service sub-parNightfallDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I had a "date night"at Blue Point that was very nice, food was excellent, ambiance charming (we sat outside on the back patio), Scotch selection was solid, etc. However, we were disappointed in our waiter. He wasn't awful, he just wasn't very engaging and proactive for a restaurant of this caliber (and price). He came to our table and just said, "what do you want." No overview, highlight of specials or favorites, questions, recommendations, or dialog. He was just going through the motions and that attitude continued through the evening. I think that while Blue Point is a quaint locale, it will find a strong challenge with CōV now open across the street for our seafood dollars if they can't at least offer top notch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pacingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014we wanted a quiet slow dinner for 2 and our waiter did a great job of helping with our food selections and providing the perfect atmosphere for our 45th anniversary dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently High QualityboatfolksDined on 7/29/2014Blue Point is a "go to" place for us. Reliably good and always enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The food is always excellent. The oyster selection is great. Really appreciate having a place to get great fresh seafood!Special Features:
- The following 638 reviews are from the Blue Point Restaurant - Wayzata reviews archive.
- Hip SpotlovedeannaVIPDined on 7/22/2014Went to dinner recently and was blown away by how good this place was. Sat outside and enjoyed a delicious and quiet dinner with my wife. No mosquitos and did not have to shoot across the table. Very romantic. Highly recommended for small parties of 2-4. PS would have liked to see a fun cocktail list of drinks new and old in sections of spirits ie gin drinks, rum, vodka, whiskey, etc... Overall a 10! Thanks Blue Point! We loved your place and will return ASAP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marred by Indifferent ServiceBeSpoiledDined on 7/15/2014Good food, inspired flavor combinations, but the dining experience was marred by very indifferent service. We'll go back, but if the level of service doesn't improve, it will be our last time.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerEMacDined on 7/7/2014My husband and I had a late dinner here for our anniversary and the food was outstanding! Everything we ate was amazing and the wine list was even better. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Decent but inconsistentMagnetDined on 7/5/2014The seafood was quite good but the simple burgers were off the Mark. The server was on top of the service but the cooks missed many things. If you don't customize your ride this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service on 6/28/14JeffSSDined on 6/28/2014Unfortunately we did not have a very good experience, as we were celebrating anniversary's. The food and atmosphere were good, but the service was not. Among the issues, one meal was 15 minn's late due to being dropped before it was delivered to our table. We sat and waited, with little or no communication to help the situation. The service issues were brought to managements attention, and still did not get any urgency to help remedy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014The blackened fish tasted burnt. Awful! The other 3 entrees were good. Will never order blackened anything at Blue Point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Blue Point always has great food and the service is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, disappointing service!UnrealVIPDined on 6/27/2014For the most part the food was very good with the exception of the gumbo soup which had a crusty layer on top like old pudding. The shrimp was excellent as was the salmon. For a Friday night service was horrible one server for the entire bar, which has 8 tables. She couldn't handle it things were coming and going haphazardly not in any order. I may go back but not soon.
- Heard this place was fancy...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/24/2014Upon arrival at the host stand we were asked "How can I help you".....wait- are we at McDonald's?!? That set a poor first impression. I asked a question about the menu and the waitress used the word "obviously" in her explanation. Obviously- it was not obvious, hence the question. Way to make your guests feel stupid. The scallop dish was so salty we could not eat it. Halibut was extremely over cooked- also unedible. The bread was great. The semi-freddo was rock solid frozen. Creme Brulee was good. It was nice that the waitress comped our entire meal since we didn't eat it. Surprised a manager never stopped out. Was our Wedding Anniversary- left hungry and disappointed.
- Excellent ExperienceTechWillyDined on 6/24/2014Great seafood. The softshell crab was fantastic! This restaurant lives up to its reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint-impressed the out of townersgardengirlDined on 6/20/2014I was looking for a great "local color" restaurant west of the Twin Cities for dinner for some old friends from Houston. Blue Point was the perfect place. Dinner was not cheap, but also not crazy expensive ($30 range). Everyone at the table got something different for their main dish and quite pleased with their dinner choices. I had the the Corvina in parchment with artichoke, tomato, and capers and it was amazing. We also wished we had had our nightcap there as they had a large selection of port.Special Features: