Blue Point Restaurant - Bloomington
4400 West 78th St
Bloomington, MN 55435Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Point Restaurant - Bloomington
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bluepointrestaurantandbar.com/
- Phone: (952) 767-9711
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday 11-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday through Thursday 4:00 - 9:00 and Friday and Saturday 4:00 - 10:00
Happy Hour: Monday through Friday 2:30-6pm, Saturday 4-6pm
We are closed on Sundays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wilson Saltos
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Lunch catering for up to 100 available.
A word from Blue Point Restaurant - Bloomington
The Blue Point is an upscale, fresh-only seafood restaurant, offering creatively prepared, chef-driven food in a contemporary atmosphere. We pride ourselves on our personable and attentive service, the freshness and quality of our food, and our award-winning wine selection. In addition, we have the best happy hour in town, boasting great deals on oysters and our sixteen ever-changing craft beers on tap. Stop in for a business lunch, family dinner or call to book your next large group function.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Point Restaurant - Bloomington reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)special occasion (24)notable wine list (15)good for groups (13)great for lunch (10)romantic (9)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Dinner at Bluepoint Resturant, Bloomington, MNOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014I met a friend at the restaurant for dinner. Got there at 5:30 and was immediately seated. We were greeted by our server, Lea. She was awesome! Very energetic, helpful and engaging! The restaurant was rather quiet which was great for conversation without having to strain in order to hear. The food was excellent. The fish was fresh and cooked to perfection. I would recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchChezDined on 11/18/2014I had the salmon and salad. It was probably the best prepared salmon I have ever had. A bit pricey for lunch. Will definitely go back. Our server was very attentive. Never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food quality not meeting price levelussohioDined on 11/15/2014We went to Blue Point for our anniversary. At this price level, I expect far better food and service than your neighborhood Applebees. Blue Point delivered adequate food and adequate service, but it was more appropriate to a restaurant a couple of price levels down. - Maryland Blue Lump Crab Cake: good, not fabulous. - Spring Salad: My wife enjoyed this. - New England Clam Chowder: At the advice of our server, I ordered this. It should be called potato chowder, because there was exactly one 1/4" by 1/4" piece of clam in my chowder, and no clam flavor. For a restaurant highlighting their clams, this was highly disappointing. The chowder tasted very starchy & needed a significant amount of pepper to quash the starch flavor. - Gulf White Shrimp and Maine Scallop Risotto: My wife ordered this. It was very well prepared, and I sampled the shrimp, risotto, and part of a scallop. My wife loved the preparation, and I found it quite good. The scallops were especially tasty. - Mexican Red Grouper: The blackened grouper was quite tasty. The rest of the plate was subpar. The soba noodles were drenched in soy sauce (not mentioned in the menu), making an awful taste combination with the grouper. The shiitake mushrooms? Three slices of mushrooms. Why mention the few mushrooms on the menu and not the 1/2 cup of soy sauce? - Flourless Dark Chocolate Cake: The cake was okay, but a bit dry (like a brownie that had been sitting in an uncovered pan all day). - Service: The server seemed to be only interested in pushing a higher bill. We asked for wine suggestions, and she (conveniently) suggested the highest price white & red wines. She was visibly disappointed that we ordered a single desert to split, rather than one desert each. She also didn't bring a spoon for my soup until I asked. It wasn't busy that night, either. - Price: For $90/person, I expect great food and great service. I've had better at Applebees. Overall, I'd skip Blue Point and find an alternative.
- We were disappointed this trip to Blue Point.NancyetcVIPDined on 11/15/2014Two people had appetizers - I heard that clam chowder didn't have any clams in it. The oysters were just okay. All of us had a cesear salad. And, if you requested no anchovies all the salad amounted to was lettuce, croutons and pretty boring dressing. We all had fish entrees and were not overly impressed. Halibut, swordfish, and one other was had by our group - I can't remember the other fish. Key lime pie was okay. I don't think any of us will be going back any time soon.
- BusinessdinnerDined on 11/11/2014Had a great time with great food. I dont have anything left to say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Very attentive staff. Excellent customer service. Super location with nice parking. The menu needs work. There isn't enough value in the food items we ordered for our lunch, case in point, if you are paying over $10 for a blt sandwich, there should be much more than just a few thin strips of bacon on it. Everything else was just fine. I do appreciate the staff. Great work.Special Features:
- So-soJillyinmnVIPDined on 11/1/2014We went for the advertised prime rib special, there were four of us. We were told she would have to reserve them because they had a limited quantity. We also brought a couple of bottles of wine to have with dinner, our serer told us that they have a rule about byob and it is only one table per party. WEIRD rule, first time I had ever heard of it. The prime rib was bland, nothing special at all. For nice expensive dinner out, we will stick to our go-to's Ruths Chris, Pittsburgh Blue and Capital Grill.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Totally bummed out as they advertised Stone Crabs by email and two days later -we ate Sat evening early- They were out and told us after we sat and ordered wine and the meal. Then they said they were out. That was the specific reason we decided to eat there. They could have said something at the door or before we had the other wine and bread plate. Terribly disappointed. Lousy chef ordering if they don't last three days.Special Features:
- Great AnniversaryAnniversaryDined on 10/22/2014We enjoyed the Shrimp Cocktail and the meal which incorporated squash - Fantastic! The service has always been wonderful and I like the location - easy in & easy out. Perfect for our anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerriTerriDined on 10/13/2014Great food and service! Will recommend for sure! Leah our server was just great. Her knowledge and reccomendations were impressive........ And oh so friendly! Wine list was good. Kudos to the chef for the mixture of spices to the fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect special occasionNoshaboutownDined on 10/11/2014Our message had gotten through to staff about special occasion and they took excellent care of us. Wait staff attentive and all of us very happy with our dishes. Prime rib special was excellent. Appreciated that the noise level wasn't so loud that we could have conversation with out raising our voices, making for a an intimate celebration with friends. Nice selection of wines and our wait-person recommended a now new favorite, Educated Guess.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Shrimp gumbo had few shrimp and tasted more like a pasty, floury Creole vegie mixture. However, the service was excellent. Next time, we'll just stop for fresh oysters and beer or wine at the bar and go elsewhere for our dinner.
- Great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014The restaurant was not too busy, we had a great waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the fishHatetocookDined on 10/1/2014Great experience for a special birthday with my husband. The food and service were wondeful. However, with a bad knee and a cane I didn't appreciate the long walk to a building lobby restroom because there isn't one inside the restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and roomyMNDinerDined on 9/17/2014We really enjoyed our family birthday celebration at Blue Point. The food was great along with the service. We need handicapped accessibility and Blue Point was the perfect venue. No stairs or threshold problems and plenty of room between the tables and other fixtures.Special Features:
- my overall experience.markDined on 9/16/2014The food was good but a bit too artsy for my taste. Not enough basic entrees as it seemed everything had to be over the top. For example my wife had the tuna and it was sushi like and overly spicy. Too over the top. My duck with scallops was very good but what i would have really liked was a simple offering of steak and scallops, or a seafood prepared well with nice accoutrement like a basic baked potato. The service was very good. Wine liat impressive. Expensive though so don't be shocked. I think if they toned down their zeal a bit they would fit more what most minnesotans would like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Seafood RestaurantSteveofoto1VIPDined on 9/12/2014Not nearly as busy as the Wayzata location. Same good food and service. Excellent drinks and wine list.Special Features:
- Fantastic Seafoodt6flyerDined on 8/30/2014This was our first time dining here. A friend recommended it. The food was all excellent and delicious. Our server was attentive and efficient. I plan on returning with more family to have another enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT CHOICECharlestonlocalVIPDined on 8/27/2014The halibut offered was extraordinary: super fresh, extremely well prepared, beautiful presentation -- delicious!Everyone in our party of 5 enjoyed their meeal, and we all were impressed with the service. Beautiful place, too.Special Features:
- a wee over cookedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014We had the Saturday lobster special and a New York Strip. The lobster was over cooked and chewy. The steak, although tasty, came medium. It was ordered medium rare. Dessert was comp'd. Key Lime and Crème Brulee were excellent.
- Far from the expectedtivnetDined on 8/12/20141. They have 6 or 7 types of oysters there. I am not that big expert, so I do not know all the names. When I started asking about all the names, I expected the waiter to a) know "who is who" and b) show me how the oysters look (large, small, thin, thick and so on). I made the choice, and got 4 "something". Only one was good. 3 others I'd skip. Still do not know which was the good one. Anyway, do not order the $2 one and take only the $3.75. 2. There was absolutely no taste in any dish we ordered (party of 6, and each one ordered something else). The fish was prepared with absolutely no "chef's talent". Just a fish. And, on top of it - tons of SOY SAUCE! That's all. That's a shame for a "seafood" restaurant. 3. "Out of" soft shell crab. Boo!
- Truly excellent!JackJodellVIPDined on 8/8/2014From John at the door to the very friendly Mary and Corrie as our servers, to the superb shrimp cocktail to the unsurpassably exquisite Oysters Rockefeller to the scrumptious Maryland soft crab, THIS is definitely THE place for consistently good, FRESH seafood! I try to go there as often as I can, and I am never disappointed! Hats off to all of this establishment'sSpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceREW62Dined on 8/1/2014Had friends coming from out of town and wanted them to have a great experience dining so brought them to Blue Point. We had a great time, the food was wonderful, cocktails excellent, great selection of wine and near perfect service.Special Features:
- Always a great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Best Twin Cities seafood, bar none (unless it's Blue Point Wayzata)! Attentive waitstaff, fun and lively bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 478 reviews are from the Blue Point Restaurant - Bloomington reviews archive.
- Great lunchJhmndVIPDined on 7/21/2014Wonderful menu with great variety. Had a business meeting. Quiet but upbeat environment. New menu from my last lunch. Impressive.Special Features:
- SurprisedadminDined on 7/19/2014We eat out often at high end restaurants. We expected a much better meal at Blue Point. Compared to some of our favorite restaurants, Blue Point didn't come close. We had lobster and salmon. Both meals were just okay - expensive for the quality and presentation. The waitress spilled water and left over melted butter on my plate. I had eaten about half my meal. I was given another small portion of salmon, but potatoes and veggies were not replaced. The restaurant was quiet for 7:00 pm, that should have given us a clue as to its popularity. We will not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014The food was great once we got it. Two servings of crab cakes and a bowl of soup had to be sent back because they were lukewarm. Not good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrokeDadDined on 7/5/2014Food and service were very good. However it was more expensive than we anticipated, it was listed as "$$" but realistically should be "$$$"Special Features:
- A Hidden GemNYaklichVIPDined on 6/27/2014We've never been disappointed here. A great hidden gem on the north frontage road of 494 just beyond France.Special Features:
- Not what I remembered from WayzataxxxxDined on 6/26/2014Made a reservation and with plenty of other seats, everyone seemed to be seated along a bank of booths next to kitchen. Kitchen noise made conversation difficult. Had a seafood stew. While flavorful, I wouldn't say it was spicy given claim of server. Serving was small considering price and mussels were minute. Glad I didn't order the bowl of mussels. I haven't been to Wayzata location in awhile but I had very good meals there. This was disappointing even though I was hoping to frequent this location. Service was attentive.
- Eh, I've had bettereastbankDined on 6/11/2014Was really excited to try this place out. Overall the food was good and the service even better. However, for the price, the food should be of a much higher caliber.
- DisappointingdisappointedDined on 6/7/2014food was not the same quality as our last visit. The service however was exceptionl
- Blue PointPepeDavidDined on 5/29/2014Blue Point is a consistently good restaurant. They cook their fish very well and the restaurant appears clean. A great lunch spot, I will need to try it for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 5/23/2014The food is very fresh and quite good and the service was, by and large, pretty good. We had to wait a while for someone to come to our table, and she didn't stop by very often, but overall it was just fine. Our biggest disappointment was how empty the restaurant was on a Friday night. At most, 1/4 of the tables were filled for a 7 p.m. reservation. There wasn't much vibe here and that detracted from our experience.
- Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2014We had an excellent dinner with a respectful waiter who did not interrupt us as we were talking business. The service was efficient and the food and beverages were very good. This is the third time I have been there and each time has been a very consistent experience. The fish is outstanding and the pairings with each meal were very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fish placemikeDined on 5/12/2014Enjoyed several seafood items:oysters Rockefeller,claim chowder(delicious with noteable sherry flavor),Halibut on pureed yams as well as some great vodka martinis. Bread was made on site and was just like homemade -raisin rye and white !!All items were well presented and tasty.Reasonable portions and price seemed about right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day dinner at Blue PointOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We enjoyed an excellent quiet mother's day dinner at Blue Point in Bloomington. Mussels were excellent. Server was relaxed, pleasant and knowledgeable. Food was excellent and arrived quickly. Very good wine selections. Moderate priced entrees. Quiet atmosphere made conversation easy and spacing of tables kept it private as well. Overall very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was as great as recommendedMonkeyBillDined on 5/10/2014I had heard nothing but good stuff about this restaurant and they did not fail to meet every standard. My wife and in-laws are very knowledgeable when it comes to wine and thought this was one of the most diverse wine lists in the Twin Cities. Would definitively return for any occasion.Special Features:
- Saturday nights rock!NanamissBVIPDined on 5/3/2014I did not know about the Saturday night special so I was surprised and delighted. We loved it and will go back often even though it is a drive of 25 minutes for us. Worth it!Special Features:
- Fun BirthdayEatsouttoomuchDined on 5/2/2014First time here. Bar was fun and very inviting. Bar tender was cool and quite chatty. He picked a great Chardonnay for me! Dinner was quote good. Selection was just right. Was a little pricey, but overall the experience met my expectations. Blue Point is on my top five list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.