Blue Point Coastal Cuisine
565 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/bluepoint
- Phone: 6192336623x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Group Lunches Only.
Dinner: Open at 5pm Daily.
Closed most holidays so please call ahead.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for details.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations 6192336623x
- Special Events: Inquire on the web at dinecrg.com/group-events
A word from Blue Point Coastal Cuisine
Blue Point is a 1940s style New York supper club featuring great martinis, the freshest seafood and prime aged beef. The dining room is lined with cherry wood and Frank Sinatra's music is common overhead.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (66)fit for foodies (55)romantic (44)great for outdoor dining (28)neighborhood gem (22)notable wine list (20)hot spot (13)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Blue Point is a DiamondggkarenelleDined on 9/18/2014Blue Point lives up to my SF Bay Area foodie expectations. It's a grown up restaurant in San Diego's gaslight. The interior, comfort, service and the food! It's beautifully prepared. Fresh and colorful and so delicious. I would buy the romesco sauce from my scallop dish by the gallon. From the unexpected tuna tartare served 1st, to our gazpacho and bisque, to our our entrees and desserts, it's the best I've had in this town. And I'm here every few months for business. I'll be back. It's evident they care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal - perfect food.JoanVIPDined on 9/18/2014We had a wonderful meal - with outstanding professional service and delicious food and wine. All of us had different fish dishes and each was exquisitely plated. My dish was perfectly cooked trout fillet with lemon risotto and a side of baby greens with just the right garnish of tart and sweet fruits. I started with the lobster bisque - really good. Our desert platter was a special treat - the creme brulee, hot chocolate cake with ice cream, fruit tart - all were beautiful. We wanted a reasonably quiet table and the large booth made it possible to have lively conversation with friends, which I also consider an important consideration for a pleasant dinner experience. Joan and PeterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just awesome!EvanVIPDined on 9/17/2014I haven't been to Blue Point for quite awhile. I shouldn't have waited so long. The service was awesome - Our main server was supported another server so everything came out quickly and any need we had was taken care of right away. We ordered scallops, salmon, and filet mignon ravioli. All of it was so delicious! I won't wait so long to go back next time.Special Features:
- Work DinnerIsabellaVIPDined on 9/17/2014In town for trade show and decided on this place per a coworkers recommendation. It was very good! We arrived a little early for our reservation and the restaurant doesn't open until 5pm - thankfully the area is a nice place to wander around.
- Yellow Fin Yum!DaveDined on 9/13/2014All the food was really good especially the yellow fin!Special Features:
- Perfect, except for the noise.whitewateradfDined on 9/10/2014The service was amazing, the food was exactly what we wanted, the wine was excellent and the perfect evening except we sat next to two large groups near the bar. I would recommend asking for a table near the windows. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lub009Dined on 9/10/2014Food was delicious, and the service was great. Our waiter Dave went above and beyond as we were celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure!chrisVIPDined on 9/5/2014Thank you, always a great experience. .Special Features:
- Best Lobster Bisque!gr8ramsesDined on 8/30/2014We found this place 14 years ago on our honeymoon. We hit it up every time we are in San Diego. They have great food plus the best lobster bisque!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceFrenchieDined on 8/24/2014I started with a wonderful drink called the French Elder. For an appetizer, we had the calamari. It was not the best calamar that I've had, but it was good. I had the sable fish, which was wonderful! My husband ordered the cheesecake for dessert...very good ending to a great meal. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Not Local FaireBiGMaCVIPDined on 8/23/2014Two things you should know.... The seafood is excellent, but is not local, expect somewhat exotic and eclectic options... And as superior as both the restaurant and it's offerings are, it is a bit overpriced, but of course San Diego in the summer is a resort and escape town, plus this restaurant is in the heart of this Gaslight District! The sashimi cuts were very good, the halibut and Thai dark fish were delights in taste and presentation. The wine list is excellent and extensive. Service was superior. If you're looking for a great meal and perfect service in a great location you can't miss at Blue Point Coastal Cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BashAussiesLovedItDined on 8/22/2014It was my honey's birthday, and we had a grand time. Seated near the front so we could enjoy the view up and down 5th, and interact with the hostess and wait staff. We had a really grand time, and it is a birthday my honey won't soon forget. We had two signature cocktails we had not experienced, a wonderful appetizer and a great dinner. Service was really good and we appreciated our waiter $ignificantly. Easy to find and easy to catch a cab back to the hotel. We will come again next year.Special Features:
- Appreciation DinnermjdriverDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I took another couple to dinner and theater as a thank you. We had known of the Kohn Family restaurants, dine at several, and choose this one due to the location and the reviews. We were greeted warmly and taken directly to our outside table. The service was prompt but not overbearing. The food was all I expected from the Kohn family, and the wine selection was very good. We enjoyed dinning at our sidewalk table with the activity of the street scene keeping the evening lively. An unexpected treat was a twosome of jazz musicians playing across the street which added to our incredible dinning experience.Special Features:
- Dissapointedlive2eatDined on 8/16/2014I think it's fair not to have high expectation when you walk in to any restaurant nowadays, obviously from the others reviews, everybody's experience is different when it comes to food and service, unfortunately ours were more negative than positive, although the service was nice, the food was disappointing when it came to taste and texture, but the worst thing about the whole restaurant is the awful smell when you walk by the kitchen on your way to the bathroom, they should do something about that, I wish I remember our waiter's name, but he was really nice and attentive.
- Always delicious!JaimiVIPDined on 8/9/2014We really love Blue Point. It's one of the those places you just can't go wrong with. The only criticism would be the price. The cost is the same as Eddy V's or Cowboy Star, and I'm not so sure the food, while very, very good, is up to those standards. We do enjoy the old school dinner house feel and will always go back. The martini's are especially good and may be why the bill is so high:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Very nice place but the food was hit and miss. The crab topped halibut was dry and the lobster wasn't cooked fully. However the steak fillet was excellent as was everything else. Service was too notch!Special Features:
- Wonderful seafoodveglasagnaDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed our mules, salmon with cheese grits and excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Seafood and staff2fishyfoodiesDined on 8/2/2014ALWAYS excellent. Consistently perfectly prepared seafood. Professional & knowledgeable staff add to the pleasurable experience, with recommendations that are suited to our taste.Special Features:
- What a find!MikeVIPDined on 8/1/2014Brittany really helped us navigate a menu, in which absolutely everything looked good! She was very attentive without being overbearing. Kudos to the staff in the front and the back of the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurant in San DiegoLoliDined on 8/1/2014This is our new favorite for special occasions. From the moment we arrived, we were treated as though we were special guests. We were celebrating our son's 21st birthday, and we'll all remember the excellent service and the outstanding dishes and drinks. When we made our reservation we stated we have a guest with peanut allergy, and one with cinnamon allergy. Our server was already prepared for that, so she told us about the two or three dishes to avoid....that left us with many options. We all enjoyed tasting each other's choices. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodHappyCamperDined on 7/27/2014You won't be disappointed at Blue Point Coastal Cuisine. The Halibut was the best I've ever had and the service was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Old School look/new school food=yumSusanSVIPDined on 7/27/2014For our first visit to San Diego, we were on business and looking for a really good restaurant near our hotel. Blue Coast came highly recommended on Open Table and did not disappoint. West Coast oysters were in need of NO enhancement, fresh, sweet and briny. My husband had the yellowfin with soba noodles and I had the sablefish (apparently butterfish? on the East Coast), both of which were delicious. The decor is deep red, leather banquettes, very comfortable. And the service was excellent. I hope there's another San Diego trip in my future.Special Features:
- SUBSTANDARD!amanda4882Dined on 7/25/2014Blue Point should be ashamed of themselves! First off, I came in on Friday at 5:30 for my reservation and there were 3 blonde girls standing at the hostess stand. No greeting, no hello, just staring as if I was a bother. I told them I had a reservation and was escorted to my seat of choice outside. Hostess walks away. Server comes up and asks for our drink order. I asked for the HH menu and the server seemed rather annoyed that we were ordering HH. I got my wine and it smelled like a dirty dish rag in the glass. I informed the server and they brought another glass of wine. Food came out and was terrible from the filet mignon ravioli to the caprese salad to the dumplings. All was really bad. No flavor and the ravioli was hard throughout.
- Highest quality protein that swimsLustForFoodDined on 7/21/2014Bottom line, high quality, fresh seafood. Skillfully prepared, served hot, almost every time I visit. New halibut entree a must try. Smoked salmon best I've had in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy from beginning to endCohnfanDined on 7/18/2014We started with fresh oysters and ended with dessert, sharing appetizer and entree in between -- definitely the way to go to taste several sections of the menu.Special Features:
- WAIT STAFF WOWED!GatirBearCADined on 7/15/2014The moment we walked into the restaurant the staff was warm and welcoming. After we were seated the great service continued. Our waiter was extremely friendly and treated us to a delicious amuse bouche. Our server also took the time to thoroughly explain the menu and highlight some of the restaurants best choices Our meal was scrumptious! Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiefiendDined on 7/11/2014Waiter forgot our oyster app. Then brought us the wrong one. But made it up with a free warm truffle chocolate cake. Great service recovery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood restaurantBobcDined on 7/11/2014I had the halibut, my wife had the linguine with shrimp and clams both were wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Unique seafood presentationJDRLVVIPDined on 7/10/2014I was in town for a meeting and wanted to eat some good seafood. I asked for advice from a server at the bar atop the Hyatt. She recommended the Blue Point just a short walk from the hotel. The recommendation was spot on. The ambience was understated elegance and complimented by Sinatra background music. The food was great. The oysters were large and incredibly fresh. For a main course I had the clam and shrimp linguini in pesto olive oil sauce. My wife had the butterfish. Both were beautifully prepare and uniquely presented. A good choice for a great seafood meal in the Gaslamp district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectFredDined on 7/8/2014This was an absolutely perfect meal. The farmer's salad was great, scallops were prepared to perfection, and the service was outstanding. I highly recommend this restaurant - one of my all time best meals.
- Delicious romantic dinnerFoodLoverDined on 7/3/2014The food was excellent. Highly recommend the scallops and swordfish. The wine choices were great as well. The servers are extremely attentive and great at giving recommendations. It was my birthday as well, and they brought me a scrumptious ganache chocolate cake. Would definitely go again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodPHilDined on 7/3/2014Had the Crab Crusted Halibut, it was amazing paired with teh Mac and Cheese which has to be on the all time best mac and cheese ever list, if that exists.Special Features:
- OceanicKarenDined on 6/27/2014We loved the oceanic theme, even though it's not on the water and the wait staff were exceptional! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not really worth the priceCJMGilbertDined on 6/26/2014We really like C Level and so decided to try another of the CRG offerings. I got the crab-crusted halibut. My wife and daughter got the salmon. I enjoyed the halibut, the crab crust had a nice lemony zing that made the whole dish- but was it worth $48? I've had tastier fish dishes for less. My wife and daughter's salmon was nothing special. My wife said the best thing on the plate was the barbeque sauce for the salmon. The grits were sub-par, the rainbow carrots were so completely al dente that we called it raw and CJMthe spinach was without flavor. We skipped dessert and went down the street to Chocolat.
- Great!JanieVIPDined on 6/22/2014I went with my mom and had a great time. The cocktail was terrific, the food incredibly tasty and the server warm and accommodating. I can't ask for much more. We will go back again.Special Features:
- San Diego Seafoodixlr8VIPDined on 6/18/2014There are so many great options for seafood in San Diego, granted. Blue Point can be described as your standby, where you know you are going to get, not only a great meal, top quality, and superior service, but a great location right in the heart of the Gas Lamp neighborhood for a tremendous dining experience, with access to everything downtown SD. We had the Scallops, Salmon, and the Sablefish. Octopus salad was also delightful (Caesar and Calamari were also part of the experience). Dining on the patio was questionable for some, but if you can tolerate all walks of life, it was actually quite entertaining; like dinner and a show! Add in a handful of great cocktails, and it was a perfect outing. Thank you Mark, outstanding service sir.Special Features:
- Martini Masters!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2014Awesome street-side gourmet dining and martinis to die for. An excellent experience for my out of town guests and a great recommendation for business meals near the convention center.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodBobndebDined on 6/10/2014Blue Point has become our favorite resturant in the Gaslamp. The seafood is fresh and cooked to perfection. We have always had outstanding service here. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carrieDined on 6/9/2014Central location, very good food and friendly servers! Really liked the wine menu. Whereas it may be a little old fashioned, it is always a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wines123VIPDined on 6/8/2014I really enjoyed the food. It was tasty and the fish was very fresh. I wish the menu had a more complex appetizers otherwise it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.