Blue Point Coastal Cuisine
565 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/bluepoint
- Phone: 6192336623x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Group Lunches Only.
Dinner: Open at 5pm Daily.
Closed most holidays so please call ahead.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for details.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations 6192336623x
- Special Events: Inquire on the web at dinecrg.com/group-events
A word from Blue Point Coastal Cuisine
Blue Point is a 1940s style New York supper club featuring great martinis, the freshest seafood and prime aged beef. The dining room is lined with cherry wood and Frank Sinatra's music is common overhead.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)special occasion (62)romantic (43)great for outdoor dining (31)neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (24)hot spot (16)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Excellent DiningSheriVIPDined on 10/27/2014The interior is a classy booth setting. We started with a tuna tartare amuse bouche which was delicious as were all our fish entrees. Service was spot on and gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unwind & EnjoyGiovanniVIPDined on 10/24/2014I have been to the Blue Point several times over the past ten years; not once have I walked away disappointed. The food and service are exceptional as is the location. I would recommend this place to anyone looking to have a business dinner, gathering with friends, or romantic evening; all are well suited by this place.Special Features:
- EmmyEatsDined on 10/24/2014We sat on the patio, which made for good people watching on the street. I barely even went inside the restaurant, so I can't fairly rate the ambiance or noise level. Of course it was noisy where we ate; it was on the street :). I had the lobster bisque and then the filet ravioli (an appetizer) as my main Entreé. Was very pleased with both. We were approached by a homeless man during dinner who asked for food, but said thank you and walked away when we refused. Didn't cause any trouble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Point ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2014Everything was delicious and the service was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood!RedrockDined on 10/18/2014The Blue Point is a regular stop for me when in San Diego. Up-scale atmosphere, wonderful seafood, and great service.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent menu, delicious food, great service, but VERY noisy!Special Features:
- luvs2eatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014My husband and I had the Sunday Seafood Feast and all the seafood was perfectly cooked. The seafood boil seasoning was just right, not too much but you could really taste it. Food was very good but the service was outstanding. Attentive without being intrusive, our server saw us struggling with a too hard semifreddo and immediately offered to replace the dessert with another offering. We will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedTellurideRickDined on 10/10/2014There is better seafood in the area at more reasonable pricing. This restaurant survives on its ambiance.Special Features:
- NickNickVIPDined on 10/5/2014Zach was very attentive and his recommendations from the menu were 100% spot on. A great experience.Special Features:
- Special CelebrationLuv2dinedivaDined on 10/4/2014Well worth the drive from Temecula to San Diego for the evening. Food and service was great! Only thing that was a little disappointment was they allowed VERY casual dress code in the restaurant on a Saturday night and the website stated DRESSY. Had we known that, we would have gone casual and spent more time walking in the city after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014The Salmon was melt in your mouth but the grits it was served over was awful and didn't compliment the fish at all. I couldn't even remotely taste the bacon that was supposed to be in it. The Crab Crusted Halibut was a total disappointment. The crab was simply a pile on top of the fish and the Halibut was so dry I would have sent it back but my husband put up with it. We told the manager, he apologized but did nothing. The lobster bisque was very good but it was cold. The service was wonderful, our waitress was exceptional. But at $48 for a dish of dry Halibut...I won't return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/3/2014Blown away. Food was beyond excellent, service was outstanding. Will definitely return again ... A great special occasion or celebration place☺️Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters Oscar were terrific!LuvCfoodDined on 10/1/2014Everything was very good. We ordered the salmon and the scallops and both were perfectly cooked. The Oysters Oscar and bisque appetizer course was superb. Can't wait to return and try other menu items. An overall YUM rating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2dinersVIPDined on 9/30/2014Wonderful selection of seafood available. Our dinners were beautifully prepared and the service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Gem in the Gaslamp DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014Wow, it was hard to focus with so much going on around us. This restaurant is in the center of the Gaslamp District and the streets were crazy with people having fun and enjoying the night. I recommend eating outside to get the flavor of the neighborhood, and certainly the flavor of the food. The meal was excellent, and the service was top notch. Great location, great service and outstanding food mad for a very memorable dining experience. I recommend this to everyone, but if you want a quiet dinner you should go inside.Special Features:
- Lovely LunchDoslocosguysVIPDined on 9/22/2014Wonderful views and service...great food...extensive wine list-looking forward to coming back when in areaSpecial Features:
- DisappointedorppalaDined on 9/20/2014Several of my friends recommended Blue Point and we wanted to try something differed than our usual Oceannaire. Service was great and so was the quality of the food. However, we were disappointed with the lack of flavor. They lacked pizazz or that little something extra. The menu selection was smaller than I expected. Definitely won't return despite the good service. I guess it's hard to beat Oceannaire.
- JodyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Outrageously over priced! More than all 5 star restaurants in Sam Diego and La Jolla
- DudeVIPDined on 9/20/2014Very comfortable place with great service and food. Good date spot.Special Features:
- Excellent and consitent foodOldHRHitterDined on 9/20/2014Second time eating here. Excellent seafood and broad menu.Special Features:
- Blue Point is a DiamondggkarenelleDined on 9/18/2014Blue Point lives up to my SF Bay Area foodie expectations. It's a grown up restaurant in San Diego's gaslight. The interior, comfort, service and the food! It's beautifully prepared. Fresh and colorful and so delicious. I would buy the romesco sauce from my scallop dish by the gallon. From the unexpected tuna tartare served 1st, to our gazpacho and bisque, to our our entrees and desserts, it's the best I've had in this town. And I'm here every few months for business. I'll be back. It's evident they care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal - perfect food.JoanVIPDined on 9/18/2014We had a wonderful meal - with outstanding professional service and delicious food and wine. All of us had different fish dishes and each was exquisitely plated. My dish was perfectly cooked trout fillet with lemon risotto and a side of baby greens with just the right garnish of tart and sweet fruits. I started with the lobster bisque - really good. Our desert platter was a special treat - the creme brulee, hot chocolate cake with ice cream, fruit tart - all were beautiful. We wanted a reasonably quiet table and the large booth made it possible to have lively conversation with friends, which I also consider an important consideration for a pleasant dinner experience. Joan and PeterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just awesome!EvanVIPDined on 9/17/2014I haven't been to Blue Point for quite awhile. I shouldn't have waited so long. The service was awesome - Our main server was supported another server so everything came out quickly and any need we had was taken care of right away. We ordered scallops, salmon, and filet mignon ravioli. All of it was so delicious! I won't wait so long to go back next time.Special Features:
- Work DinnerIsabellaVIPDined on 9/17/2014In town for trade show and decided on this place per a coworkers recommendation. It was very good! We arrived a little early for our reservation and the restaurant doesn't open until 5pm - thankfully the area is a nice place to wander around.
- Yellow Fin Yum!DaveDined on 9/13/2014All the food was really good especially the yellow fin!Special Features:
- Perfect, except for the noise.whitewateradfDined on 9/10/2014The service was amazing, the food was exactly what we wanted, the wine was excellent and the perfect evening except we sat next to two large groups near the bar. I would recommend asking for a table near the windows. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lub009Dined on 9/10/2014Food was delicious, and the service was great. Our waiter Dave went above and beyond as we were celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure!chrisVIPDined on 9/5/2014Thank you, always a great experience. .Special Features:
- Best Lobster Bisque!gr8ramsesDined on 8/30/2014We found this place 14 years ago on our honeymoon. We hit it up every time we are in San Diego. They have great food plus the best lobster bisque!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceFrenchieDined on 8/24/2014I started with a wonderful drink called the French Elder. For an appetizer, we had the calamari. It was not the best calamar that I've had, but it was good. I had the sable fish, which was wonderful! My husband ordered the cheesecake for dessert...very good ending to a great meal. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Not Local FaireBiGMaCVIPDined on 8/23/2014Two things you should know.... The seafood is excellent, but is not local, expect somewhat exotic and eclectic options... And as superior as both the restaurant and it's offerings are, it is a bit overpriced, but of course San Diego in the summer is a resort and escape town, plus this restaurant is in the heart of this Gaslight District! The sashimi cuts were very good, the halibut and Thai dark fish were delights in taste and presentation. The wine list is excellent and extensive. Service was superior. If you're looking for a great meal and perfect service in a great location you can't miss at Blue Point Coastal Cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BashAussiesLovedItDined on 8/22/2014It was my honey's birthday, and we had a grand time. Seated near the front so we could enjoy the view up and down 5th, and interact with the hostess and wait staff. We had a really grand time, and it is a birthday my honey won't soon forget. We had two signature cocktails we had not experienced, a wonderful appetizer and a great dinner. Service was really good and we appreciated our waiter $ignificantly. Easy to find and easy to catch a cab back to the hotel. We will come again next year.Special Features:
- Appreciation DinnermjdriverDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I took another couple to dinner and theater as a thank you. We had known of the Kohn Family restaurants, dine at several, and choose this one due to the location and the reviews. We were greeted warmly and taken directly to our outside table. The service was prompt but not overbearing. The food was all I expected from the Kohn family, and the wine selection was very good. We enjoyed dinning at our sidewalk table with the activity of the street scene keeping the evening lively. An unexpected treat was a twosome of jazz musicians playing across the street which added to our incredible dinning experience.Special Features:
- Dissapointedlive2eatDined on 8/16/2014I think it's fair not to have high expectation when you walk in to any restaurant nowadays, obviously from the others reviews, everybody's experience is different when it comes to food and service, unfortunately ours were more negative than positive, although the service was nice, the food was disappointing when it came to taste and texture, but the worst thing about the whole restaurant is the awful smell when you walk by the kitchen on your way to the bathroom, they should do something about that, I wish I remember our waiter's name, but he was really nice and attentive.
- Always delicious!JaimiVIPDined on 8/9/2014We really love Blue Point. It's one of the those places you just can't go wrong with. The only criticism would be the price. The cost is the same as Eddy V's or Cowboy Star, and I'm not so sure the food, while very, very good, is up to those standards. We do enjoy the old school dinner house feel and will always go back. The martini's are especially good and may be why the bill is so high:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Very nice place but the food was hit and miss. The crab topped halibut was dry and the lobster wasn't cooked fully. However the steak fillet was excellent as was everything else. Service was too notch!Special Features:
- Wonderful seafoodveglasagnaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed our mules, salmon with cheese grits and excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Seafood and staff2fishyfoodiesDined on 8/2/2014ALWAYS excellent. Consistently perfectly prepared seafood. Professional & knowledgeable staff add to the pleasurable experience, with recommendations that are suited to our taste.Special Features:
- What a find!MikeVIPDined on 8/1/2014Brittany really helped us navigate a menu, in which absolutely everything looked good! She was very attentive without being overbearing. Kudos to the staff in the front and the back of the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurant in San DiegoLoliDined on 8/1/2014This is our new favorite for special occasions. From the moment we arrived, we were treated as though we were special guests. We were celebrating our son's 21st birthday, and we'll all remember the excellent service and the outstanding dishes and drinks. When we made our reservation we stated we have a guest with peanut allergy, and one with cinnamon allergy. Our server was already prepared for that, so she told us about the two or three dishes to avoid....that left us with many options. We all enjoyed tasting each other's choices. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.