Blue Point Coastal Cuisine
565 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bluepointsd.com/
- Phone: 6192336623
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Group Lunches Only.
Dinner: Open at 5pm Daily.
Closed most holidays so please call ahead.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for details.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations 6192336623x
- Special Events: Inquire on the web at dinecrg.com/group-events
A word from Blue Point Coastal Cuisine
Blue Point is a 1940s style New York supper club featuring great martinis, the freshest seafood and prime aged beef. The dining room is lined with cherry wood and Frank Sinatra's music is common overhead.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since April 2 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (59)fit for foodies (56)romantic (41)neighborhood gem (30)great for outdoor dining (22)notable wine list (18)hot spot (12)late-night find (9)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (8)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great SeafoodHappyCamperDined on 7/27/2014You won't be disappointed at Blue Point Coastal Cuisine. The Halibut was the best I've ever had and the service was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Old School look/new school food=yumSusanSVIPDined on 7/27/2014For our first visit to San Diego, we were on business and looking for a really good restaurant near our hotel. Blue Coast came highly recommended on Open Table and did not disappoint. West Coast oysters were in need of NO enhancement, fresh, sweet and briny. My husband had the yellowfin with soba noodles and I had the sablefish (apparently butterfish? on the East Coast), both of which were delicious. The decor is deep red, leather banquettes, very comfortable. And the service was excellent. I hope there's another San Diego trip in my future.Special Features:
- SUBSTANDARD!amanda4882Dined on 7/25/2014Blue Point should be ashamed of themselves! First off, I came in on Friday at 5:30 for my reservation and there were 3 blonde girls standing at the hostess stand. No greeting, no hello, just staring as if I was a bother. I told them I had a reservation and was escorted to my seat of choice outside. Hostess walks away. Server comes up and asks for our drink order. I asked for the HH menu and the server seemed rather annoyed that we were ordering HH. I got my wine and it smelled like a dirty dish rag in the glass. I informed the server and they brought another glass of wine. Food came out and was terrible from the filet mignon ravioli to the caprese salad to the dumplings. All was really bad. No flavor and the ravioli was hard throughout.
- Highest quality protein that swimsLustForFoodDined on 7/21/2014Bottom line, high quality, fresh seafood. Skillfully prepared, served hot, almost every time I visit. New halibut entree a must try. Smoked salmon best I've had in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy from beginning to endCohnfanDined on 7/18/2014We started with fresh oysters and ended with dessert, sharing appetizer and entree in between -- definitely the way to go to taste several sections of the menu.Special Features:
- WAIT STAFF WOWED!GatirBearCADined on 7/15/2014The moment we walked into the restaurant the staff was warm and welcoming. After we were seated the great service continued. Our waiter was extremely friendly and treated us to a delicious amuse bouche. Our server also took the time to thoroughly explain the menu and highlight some of the restaurants best choices Our meal was scrumptious! Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiefiendDined on 7/11/2014Waiter forgot our oyster app. Then brought us the wrong one. But made it up with a free warm truffle chocolate cake. Great service recovery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood restaurantBobcDined on 7/11/2014I had the halibut, my wife had the linguine with shrimp and clams both were wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Unique seafood presentationJDRLVVIPDined on 7/10/2014I was in town for a meeting and wanted to eat some good seafood. I asked for advice from a server at the bar atop the Hyatt. She recommended the Blue Point just a short walk from the hotel. The recommendation was spot on. The ambience was understated elegance and complimented by Sinatra background music. The food was great. The oysters were large and incredibly fresh. For a main course I had the clam and shrimp linguini in pesto olive oil sauce. My wife had the butterfish. Both were beautifully prepare and uniquely presented. A good choice for a great seafood meal in the Gaslamp district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectFredDined on 7/8/2014This was an absolutely perfect meal. The farmer's salad was great, scallops were prepared to perfection, and the service was outstanding. I highly recommend this restaurant - one of my all time best meals.
- Delicious romantic dinnerFoodLoverDined on 7/3/2014The food was excellent. Highly recommend the scallops and swordfish. The wine choices were great as well. The servers are extremely attentive and great at giving recommendations. It was my birthday as well, and they brought me a scrumptious ganache chocolate cake. Would definitely go again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodPHilDined on 7/3/2014Had the Crab Crusted Halibut, it was amazing paired with teh Mac and Cheese which has to be on the all time best mac and cheese ever list, if that exists.Special Features:
- OceanicKarenDined on 6/27/2014We loved the oceanic theme, even though it's not on the water and the wait staff were exceptional! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not really worth the priceCJMGilbertDined on 6/26/2014We really like C Level and so decided to try another of the CRG offerings. I got the crab-crusted halibut. My wife and daughter got the salmon. I enjoyed the halibut, the crab crust had a nice lemony zing that made the whole dish- but was it worth $48? I've had tastier fish dishes for less. My wife and daughter's salmon was nothing special. My wife said the best thing on the plate was the barbeque sauce for the salmon. The grits were sub-par, the rainbow carrots were so completely al dente that we called it raw and CJMthe spinach was without flavor. We skipped dessert and went down the street to Chocolat.
- Great!JanieVIPDined on 6/22/2014I went with my mom and had a great time. The cocktail was terrific, the food incredibly tasty and the server warm and accommodating. I can't ask for much more. We will go back again.Special Features:
- San Diego Seafoodixlr8VIPDined on 6/18/2014There are so many great options for seafood in San Diego, granted. Blue Point can be described as your standby, where you know you are going to get, not only a great meal, top quality, and superior service, but a great location right in the heart of the Gas Lamp neighborhood for a tremendous dining experience, with access to everything downtown SD. We had the Scallops, Salmon, and the Sablefish. Octopus salad was also delightful (Caesar and Calamari were also part of the experience). Dining on the patio was questionable for some, but if you can tolerate all walks of life, it was actually quite entertaining; like dinner and a show! Add in a handful of great cocktails, and it was a perfect outing. Thank you Mark, outstanding service sir.Special Features:
- Martini Masters!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2014Awesome street-side gourmet dining and martinis to die for. An excellent experience for my out of town guests and a great recommendation for business meals near the convention center.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodBobndebDined on 6/10/2014Blue Point has become our favorite resturant in the Gaslamp. The seafood is fresh and cooked to perfection. We have always had outstanding service here. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carrieDined on 6/9/2014Central location, very good food and friendly servers! Really liked the wine menu. Whereas it may be a little old fashioned, it is always a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wines123VIPDined on 6/8/2014I really enjoyed the food. It was tasty and the fish was very fresh. I wish the menu had a more complex appetizers otherwise it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Delicious FoodMuschDined on 6/7/2014Blue Point Coastal Cuisine's food is consistently good. I have been there three times and it has never disappointed. The service is efficient and professional. The menu is diverse enough to please all palates and there is an extensive selection of wines. If you are visiting San Diego, if you have lived here all your life, or if you are entertaining a guest, be sure to take the time to go to this restaurant; you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal, once againnenaDined on 6/6/2014Blue Point consistently meets high standards. We enjoyed our experience from the moment we walked in. The hostess was friendly, not minding that we arrived very early for our reservation. The waiter and bus boy were both friendly and knowledgeable, making it a comfortable and still elegant evening. And yes, the FOOD was FABULOUS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just okMBDB2014VIPDined on 5/31/2014The halibut was dry, the haricot vert were overcooked. I expected better for a $48 dish. The service was incredible.Special Features:
- steals burnt to a crispchrisDined on 5/29/2014Sadly my husband ordered a med steak that wad double well done. Mine was median well and was way over cooked. It was pretty bad
- Terrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/27/2014I normally like this place, but it went with my father and my 2 uncles. I wanted to take them somewhere nice, but all of our food was terrible. Very disappointing especially since they drove two hours to see me and to go to dinner.
- Great seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Everything with seafood in it was delicious - skip the mushroom and beef ravioli, the pasta was tough and the insides were dry. The drinks are LARGE, they give you extra on the side. Had a great evening and left very well fed.
- Great food, outstanding serviceDJM1Dined on 5/23/2014Great food, outstanding service. What's not to like.Special Features:
- Excellenthaal1Dined on 5/16/2014We had a fabulous time. Our waiter was great and the food was fit for foodies. As a matter of fact I said that we were eating things that looked like what we see on Top Chef challenges.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's Day BrunchhappyDined on 5/11/2014The Mother's Day Brunch was delicious and I had the crab stuffed whole trout was AMAZING and very tasty. The steaks were perfectly cooked and my mom ate for free as a gift of the restaurant for all mothers and she loved her spinach ravioli with shrimp in a light cream sauce. It is in a great location in the Gas Lamp and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014I had eaten at Blue Point before and enjoyed their food so I took my sister there for Mothers Day lunch. To our surprise they paid for our entrees. How nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smg46Dined on 5/11/2014Excellent service... Fantastic scallops.. so welcoming on Mother's day.Special Features:
- Very nice, but ...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/7/2014Food was good, but short of great. Would likely have been happier with it had the prices not been so outrageous. Ate at Top of the Market the next night, liked both food and ambience better, and spent less. Should try to do something about the fishy smell on entry to the restaurant. Not all fish seafood restaurants smell that way!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backsmeredithsVIPDined on 5/4/2014We started with the lobster bisque and sashimi. Both were excellent and very flavorful. Our entrees were the albacore and the Faroe salmon. Our cleared plates were completely clean. The sides included with each entree were wonderful and tastefully plated. Our server, Erica, was extremely attentive, but not in a bothersome way. Our drinks were quickly refreshed and we left feeling full. Can't wait to return and try other fish entrees. This lives up to the rest of the Cohn restaurants we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood -- Impeccable ServiceFood4thoughtDined on 5/3/2014Any time we're in San Diego, my husband and I eat at Blue Point. We have never been disappointed. Great, fresh seafood, a great ambiance, great location in the center of the city's energetic Gaslamp Quarter--and a truly professional waitstaff (our waiter on Our last visit had been there for 15 years) that know how to be attentive without being intrusive. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great People WatchingmhkolmanVIPDined on 5/2/2014We sat outside and got to enjoy the people watching but through a glass screen that made our dinner very private and quiet. The food was excellent. We both had fish and each enjoyed it a great deal. Fish was fresh and well prepared. Our server was attentive without being intrusive. It was a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, except for birthdaysrpsjensenVIPDined on 5/2/2014I put a note in reservation that it's dinner for my wife's birthday. Not once was it acknowledged and instead was offered to get dessert if we pay. So we went to a different Gaslamp restaurant the following day where she was treated special the whole evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularRegularVIPDined on 4/21/2014Always one back here when in SD. Great steak, oysters and drinks.Special Features:
- IanScratDined on 4/12/2014Great experience at OysterFest! Party of 5: Beef and Reef, Whole Trout, Faroe Salmon, Lobster Bisque, Soup of the Day (a Saffron concoction), Shrimp Pasta. Rated excellent by my dining companions. I did 2 oyster servings- excellent! Drinks well done. And how about the dessert sampler! It is to die for! Do not pass up this treat. Everything is made in-house. The butterscotch is heavenly. Waitstaff professional, well-trained. Food delivery timed perfectly. No hovering, no annoyances. Downside: ambiance was noisy, high ceilings, open venue, full house created a loud atmosphere. Romance? Quieter mid-week visit, let the reservation hostess do seating. This is not a paid review. I live in San Diego.Special Features:
- A wonderful birtrhday evening!emlakeDined on 4/11/2014We've always enjoyed Blue Point, though haven't visited very often. But as it was my birthday, it was a gem we thought would be a special treat. We were slightly late due to traffic problems, but as soon as we walked in our table was waiting for us. Our server, Brittany (sp) was not only attentive, she was friendly, smart & so well versed in our menu selections. The 2 soup we chose, the saffron shrimp & lobster bisque were perfection. Our entrees, Lobster & steak were cooked exactly as we desired. We also enjoyed the complimentary chocolate cake for my birthday. Everything was wonderful. We'll definitely visit more often than just special occasions! Fine dining that makes you feel at home. What could be better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great late night spotSanDiego1Dined on 4/9/2014Arrived for a late dinner, and had a great meal. Wine list is good, the service was great. I ate inside but the outside space looked great.Special Features: