3218 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://blueplatesf.com/
- Phone: 4152826777x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Cory Obenour
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Full restaurant buyouts are available.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Trenam 8884533463
- Cross Street: Valencia St.
- Public Transit: The Blue Plate is located at the stop for the following bus lines: 14, 49 and 67.
Bart riders should get off on the 24th and Mission station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The parking lot at the Bank of America is open for a flat fee of $10. Otherwise, street parking is available.
A word from Blue Plate
The Blue Plate opened in 1999 as a casual spot where friends and neighbors can enjoy the best ingredients our seasons have to offer. Owners Cory Obenour and Jeff Trenam have created a space that feels like a home, with three distinct dining rooms each appointed with the work of local artists. In the back, a lush, night-fragrant garden offers an exotic retreat from the bustle of the city. The kitchen stays committed to using the highest quality local produce and meats in classic American and rustic Mediterranean dishes. Through a working friendship with Bay Area farmers, the Blue Plate is expanding the notion of "the blue plate special" to include dining that is casual, affordable, delicious and responsible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Blue Plate - Best Restaurants in Bernal Heights ›
Blue Plate reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (122)fit for foodies (111)special occasion (61)romantic (41)notable wine list (29)hot spot (28)great for outdoor dining (28)good for groups (22)late-night find (11)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Tasty hidden gemmegrecoVIPDined on 10/26/2014We were visiting the city and relying heavily on opentable and this place lived up to all the reviews. Delicious food and funky atmosphere--never would have found it without the appSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Plaisant eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We enjoyed a very good meal in a plaisant place. The waitress was elegant and very smiley. And we chose a very good wine. A very plaisant evening !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garden seatingDinerSFVIPDined on 10/24/2014They have seating out back in the garden and they have food that is delicious! Really like this place and really like the food that equals the space. Go here and have some good octopus, mac and cheese, and other yummy stuff...all with some good and unique wines!Special Features:
- Loved the food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/22/2014Great food, good vibe, nice personnel - really enjoyed our girls' dinner at Blue Plate. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Plate has Good FoodGFOODVIPDined on 10/19/2014We really enjoyed the Blue Plate restaurant. They have some great dishes. The salmon was well prepared, but a small portion. The pumpkin soup was superb! Mashed potatoes were a little too fluffy for my taste. But the bean dish was very good and the wine was great, too, for a reasonable price. It's a small restaurant that looks like it was once a residential house. It's cozy and the service it great with an open kitchen. Parking can be tough in that area of Mission St. I would definitely go back to the Blue Plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!Loves2eatDined on 10/16/2014We had a FABULOUS meal at Blue Plate on a busy Wed night--so glad we had reservations!! My daughter now lives in SF, and we were visiting from central NY, and she has wanted to go to this spot for a long time!! We choose to sit in the front, so we could watch these really creative chefs at work--FUN!! The food was great from start to finish--soup especially excellent!! Loved the pappardelle, fried chicken, and meatloaf--go figure!! All was prepared perfectly, and the service was wonderful! Thanks for the very enjoyable evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 15 yearsTrentDined on 10/12/201415 years and still serving great food ----------------------------------------------------Special Features:
- OutstandingHappyDinerDined on 10/11/2014Consistently excellent! Quite possibly the best fried chicken I've ever had. Everything on the menu is thoughtfully well-balanced and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAnnieDined on 10/8/2014Delicious food and lovely service. we will be back again and again! Love the fried chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh my!NancePHVIPDined on 10/8/2014I'd not been to Blue Plate in many years, maybe 10. Needed a local place to celebrate my birthday and rediscovered it when searching OpenTable. Was really impressed with the menu preview I found online. And the one during my dinner was terrific. Our server was fabulous-very attentive yet not intrusive. Excellent energy and very knowledgeable. The food was great. And the atmosphere very appealing: of course it seemed filled with like minded people. By the time we left, the joint was hopping on a Wednesday night. This says something. I shall return much sooner.Special Features:
- Great food with friendly serviceRaymondVIPDined on 10/4/2014This is my go to restaurant for that special occasion because they always have inventive food coupled with non-attitude service that's genuine. They've survived over 10 years in SF which is a testament to them in this fickle SF food climate.Special Features:
- an 'off' night?OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/30/2014We had a disappointing dinner. I apologized to my companions who I enthusiastically brought to the Blue Plate for their first time. The menu was surprisingly limited to dishes heavy in carbohydrates, although they were willing to alter them. We repeatedly had to remind our server of items ordered that were forgotten or brought in error. We had a little difficulty getting the attention of a server when needed, the restaurant seemed to be understaffed. Some great food, but our dishes were not consistently good. (Bland macaroni salad, and a very uninspired green salad.)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014I would recommend this place for the outdoor backyard, the service and the desserts. The food however wasn't that memorable and always seemed to be missing seasoning element to make it perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meatloaf!Eggplant8Dined on 9/23/2014For the second time we had a table in the back part of the restaurant what I really liked because it's light and not so noisy there. Food was very good (especially the meatloaf), except the pork chop got too much salt. Waitress was very helpful to find a wine that goes with all our meals (meat and fish), we could even sample some wines. I didn't like the espresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- comfort food done rightcariokaDined on 9/22/2014a savory meatloaf, the creamiest mashed spuds i ever met, perfectly crisp green beans... oh, and the teeniest little most scrumptious roasted peppers ever. yum yum yum :-)Special Features:
- It has everythingAAeatsVIPDined on 9/21/2014From the greeting at the door, to bringing you a quick glass of wine, their own sparkling water, to moving you to the bar or front room because of a loud patron on the back porch, to the "you have to taste this" complimentary plate of yum, to the thoughtful dealing with food allergies (me), all with such a delicious flavor! Heirloom tomatoes and peaches, the smoked sunflower seed paste on the tuna Carpaccio, basic, but thoughtful food preparation. You just can't go wrong. 15 years of goodness!Special Features:
- great food, very noisyeeeeeee0VIPDined on 9/20/2014Blue plate was wonderful - especially the appetizers. We enjoyed ourselves tremendously, though the noise level was a bit loud.Special Features:
- Truly fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014The Wagyu sirloin is the best steak I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- Blue Plate ROCKS!!AliceDined on 9/18/2014Service and food was spectacular!! We love this great neighborhood place and it is always a great experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner food done SF stylestudentinthemissionDined on 9/18/2014really tasty, original takes on diner-esque food. fried chicken with jalapeño smoked buttermilk was top notch. cool scene too with the counter and the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentdatenighterDined on 9/11/2014I've been coming here for 15 years - having been there when the back deck was nothing more than a rickety porch on which to drink cans of Olympia. We've come for our anniversaries, date nights, showing friends the best of the city. So glad it's still serves great food and remains authentic.Special Features:
- rich!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/9/2014dont go there hungry! - because you will order a lot - and the food is dense here - thank god they had underberg - great personable service - smart eclectic wine list food is really good - if maybe on some items tries a bit to hard / to hipster - that onion chimichurri was REALLY smoked - overpowering the perfectly seared sirloinSpecial Features:
- Delicious FindInTheBusinessDined on 9/7/2014Tucked away on Mission Street is Blue Plate -- a tasty Southern-inspired restaurant with fantastic menu choices. I recommend sharing an assortment of dishes -- our trio sampled five small plates (the pork belly is divine; peach and heirloom salad is a refreshing summer treat) and two main entrees (the fried chicken is cooked perfectly and accompanied with a creamy jalapeno buttermilk dressing and macaroni salad) -- service was great (waitress was never too intrusive, yet she was available when we needed her).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014Fabulous food and fantastic service! A lovely little restaurant with a cozy feel, and you are very well cared for.Special Features:
- IsabellaDined on 9/6/2014Food was excellent, we had the smoked trout deviled eggs (ap), octopus with tomatoes and bluberries (ap), wagyu (entree) salmon (entree) and key lime pie (dessert). For beverage we had the Spanish wine flight - we let the wine manager pick our wines based on the meal we ordered and were very please with what we ended up with. One last note is that my partner has nut allergies. The staff was very attentive and accommodating and well informed and we felt very comfortable with our meal.Special Features:
- More highs than lowsPaigeVIPDined on 9/6/2014We went to Blue Plate based on a review of the fried chicken, but will be back for so much more. They feature truly fresh, in season ingredients in new and interesting ways, and the service was outstanding. The fried chicken (boneless, but ended up being a non-issue and actually easier to eat) was super crispy, moist and not at all greasy. The mashed potatoes were fluffy clouds of incredible goodness. And my heirloom tomato and stone fruit salad with a greek yogurt sauce...amazing and enough reason on it's own to return. The only disappointment was the pork belly with the cheese fondue. The pork was kind of dry and not rendered...no crispy edges at all. And the cheese sauce was bland and flavorless - couldn't believe I had to add salt!Special Features:
- We Love Blue Plate123456abcdefDined on 8/31/2014Being from the South, we're quite picky when it comes to our southern dishes. Blue Plate blew us away. If you want to taste heaven, order their meatloaf!Special Features:
- The Cady's Nite OutcarbcountersDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I are NOT foodies so can only review on visceral reactions alone. In a word, the dishes (chicken, meatloaf) were outstanding. I should mention that my wife is from Minnesota so perhaps she is a meatloaf expert - it was moist and the mash potatoes were completely lump-free. The chicken was wonderful and I even liked the macaroni salad, not usually a big favorite of mine. The noise level was perhaps a bit higher than we would wish - I suspect that if we had been sitting in the back rather than the front near the door, this would have improved. Still and all, a notable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood spotkziowaDined on 8/28/2014Great feel to the place, delicious food, especially the salads (I'm a veggie), creative veggie dishes. My meat eating friends love it too. Staff is friendly, very good at service. The focacia bread while you wait for your order is out of this world. Excellent chef. Cool vibe.Special Features:
- Surprise on Mission StreetsfnativeDined on 8/25/2014The exterior of this restaurant was completely misleading after we experienced the wonderful food and service at Blue Plate. Our waitress was very attentive with a warm smile and extremely polite. The small plates seemed to overpower the entrees in complexity, taste, and options. Not sure if this was on purpose or supposed to be an alternative to a main dish but next time I think I would prefer to just eat the small dishes. The ambiance was lovely, felt like eating in someone's warm home in Bernal. Overall a very positive experience with a comfortable vibe.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014We tried a few appetizers and entrees, and all of the food was super delicious! Our server was also great. I am a vegetarian and didn't mention it to her, but she was able to pick up on the fact based on the items I was ordering. We had ordered the farro and she let me know it was made with chicken stock, but that they could make it vegetarian. I was very pleased with her attention to detail and level of service. I highly recommend this restaurant and will go back myself!Special Features:
- restaurant revueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Dining was quite cozy and would have been better without the cackling woman to my right who seemed unaware she sounded like the wicked witch of the west. The food was terrific, most notably the small plates. Will absolutely refer to other foodie friends as a don't miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUR NEW FAVORITEGwendolynDined on 8/19/2014There were five of us. We ordered five different first courses [plus one more "for the table"] and five different entrees [plus one more "for the table"] and four different desserts. We gave each other tastes of our food and all five of us agreed that EVERYTHING was delicious. No miss-steps. Very original ingredient pairings and beautifully plated. Our waitress couldn't have been more delightful, friendly and efficient. We sat in the back room overlooking the trees in back and it was charming. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Consistently outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I eat here once a month or so and have never had a bad experience. When we went this last time, we actually booked the reservation while we were out to dinner and what was supposed to be one of the best places in Half Moon Bay. Other than the view of the ocean, there was nothing about that place that even came close to being on par w/ the Blue Plate. Whether you get the meatloaf or fried chicken which are always on the menu, or get one of the more seasonally changing items, you wont be disappointed. Also - order the Sean Thackery wine. Its worth the price.Special Features:
- It has never missed the mark.ChickenWaffles2Dined on 8/16/2014I think Blue Plate continues to invent dishes which are familiar yet unique. There is no other place in the city which has reached such a high level and yet remained true to it's roots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbRM82Dined on 8/16/2014Best meal we've had in the area for ages, wonderful mix of quite sophisticated flavors in the peach and tomato salad to one of the best slabs of meatloaf I've had. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FavoriteJaneDined on 8/15/2014I love this restaurant! I have been coming here for years and it is always consistent. Even though I usually order the same thing… I try to mix it up by trying various dishes. The people who work at the restaurant are fun and the service is always great. I recommend getting there early and sitting at the counter so you can watch the chefs make the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice mix of foodPacificaJayVIPDined on 8/15/2014The menu has simple stuff for the hard to please (meat loaf) and more intricate dishes. Great tasting food all around. My sirloin was the best steak I've had in a long time. Our waitress was pleasant and patient with us. She also recommended a nice wine which worked well with our dinners. Overall, though no child menu, we found it was a good place to take our kids and my Dad who is a little older. We made a point to go early, which is always a good call with young kids, especially a hot spot like this one. Our window table was ready and waiting when we got there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantAmymDined on 8/12/2014I'm never disappointed when I eat here and our server Sarah was the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service, Food and AtmosphereSFRichDined on 8/9/2014WE had a wonderful evening enjoying a relaxing, delicious meal served by friendly and knowledgeable people. Some people do not realize that at the back of the main part of the restaurant is a smaller "porch" area with a wall of windows overlooking a peaceful citrus garden: a perfect quiet area to speak without having to shout. The selection of small plates was varied and all sounded very tasty. I ordered slow cooked pork belly with crudites which were wonderful: balanced flavors that enhanced the taste of the pork belly pieces without overwhelming it. The large plates had good sized portions. This is a perfect place to go for a special occasionSpecial Features: