3218 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://blueplatesf.com/
- Phone: 4152826777x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Cory Obenour
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Full restaurant buyouts are available.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Trenam 8884533463
- Cross Street: Valencia St.
- Public Transit: The Blue Plate is located at the stop for the following bus lines: 14, 49 and 67.
Bart riders should get off on the 24th and Mission station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The parking lot at the Bank of America is open for a flat fee of $10. Otherwise, street parking is available.
A word from Blue Plate
The Blue Plate opened in 1999 as a casual spot where friends and neighbors can enjoy the best ingredients our seasons have to offer. Owners Cory Obenour and Jeff Trenam have created a space that feels like a home, with three distinct dining rooms each appointed with the work of local artists. In the back, a lush, night-fragrant garden offers an exotic retreat from the bustle of the city. The kitchen stays committed to using the highest quality local produce and meats in classic American and rustic Mediterranean dishes. Through a working friendship with Bay Area farmers, the Blue Plate is expanding the notion of "the blue plate special" to include dining that is casual, affordable, delicious and responsible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Blue Plate - Best Restaurants in Bernal Heights ›
Blue Plate reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (102)fit for foodies (90)special occasion (53)romantic (41)notable wine list (30)great for outdoor dining (30)hot spot (24)good for groups (18)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- OUR NEW FAVORITEOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/19/2014There were five of us. We ordered five different first courses [plus one more "for the table"] and five different entrees [plus one more "for the table"] and four different desserts. We gave each other tastes of our food and all five of us agreed that EVERYTHING was delicious. No miss-steps. Very original ingredient pairings and beautifully plated. Our waitress couldn't have been more delightful, friendly and efficient. We sat in the back room overlooking the trees in back and it was charming. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Consistently outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I eat here once a month or so and have never had a bad experience. When we went this last time, we actually booked the reservation while we were out to dinner and what was supposed to be one of the best places in Half Moon Bay. Other than the view of the ocean, there was nothing about that place that even came close to being on par w/ the Blue Plate. Whether you get the meatloaf or fried chicken which are always on the menu, or get one of the more seasonally changing items, you wont be disappointed. Also - order the Sean Thackery wine. Its worth the price.Special Features:
- It has never missed the mark.ChickenWaffles2Dined on 8/16/2014I think Blue Plate continues to invent dishes which are familiar yet unique. There is no other place in the city which has reached such a high level and yet remained true to it's roots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbRM82Dined on 8/16/2014Best meal we've had in the area for ages, wonderful mix of quite sophisticated flavors in the peach and tomato salad to one of the best slabs of meatloaf I've had. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FavoriteJaneDined on 8/15/2014I love this restaurant! I have been coming here for years and it is always consistent. Even though I usually order the same thing… I try to mix it up by trying various dishes. The people who work at the restaurant are fun and the service is always great. I recommend getting there early and sitting at the counter so you can watch the chefs make the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice mix of foodPacificaJayVIPDined on 8/15/2014The menu has simple stuff for the hard to please (meat loaf) and more intricate dishes. Great tasting food all around. My sirloin was the best steak I've had in a long time. Our waitress was pleasant and patient with us. She also recommended a nice wine which worked well with our dinners. Overall, though no child menu, we found it was a good place to take our kids and my Dad who is a little older. We made a point to go early, which is always a good call with young kids, especially a hot spot like this one. Our window table was ready and waiting when we got there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantAmymDined on 8/12/2014I'm never disappointed when I eat here and our server Sarah was the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service, Food and AtmosphereSFRichDined on 8/9/2014WE had a wonderful evening enjoying a relaxing, delicious meal served by friendly and knowledgeable people. Some people do not realize that at the back of the main part of the restaurant is a smaller "porch" area with a wall of windows overlooking a peaceful citrus garden: a perfect quiet area to speak without having to shout. The selection of small plates was varied and all sounded very tasty. I ordered slow cooked pork belly with crudites which were wonderful: balanced flavors that enhanced the taste of the pork belly pieces without overwhelming it. The large plates had good sized portions. This is a perfect place to go for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Great serversDanteVIPDined on 8/8/2014Friendly attentive staff who are very enthusiastic. It was refreshing. However, the sirloin needed a vascular surgeon to make it edible. Vines galore. That particular piece of meet should have never been served.Special Features:
- yuuuuummmmm!internationalfanDined on 8/8/2014In the 6+ years I've been coming here I have always been amazed by their dishes! From amazing presentation, small plates variety, unexpected flavor combinations, and traditional fares that are simply delectable to their outstanding service and homey environment- it's a must go restaurant in San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My constant favorite GO To placeWhydine777Dined on 8/4/2014Every meal is fantastic. Whether I am entertaining a friend out of town, a romantic dinner (wine flight anniversary celebration), special good meal with my son I tend to gravitate towards Blue Plate. From the greeting at the door, the greeting at the table asking for water preference to the first taste of scrumptious focaccia bread - just sets the tone for a great dining adventure. The specials incorporate seasonal ingredients are innovative; delightful in taste, balanced in spices and presented with care. The staff is attentive and knowledgable. My favorites (chicken with mashed potatoes) can be counted upon as my comfort food offering consistency and quality with every morsel. To polish off the meal - butterscotch pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SF ExperiencePkanterVIPDined on 8/3/2014Blue Plate is one of my top picks for dining in San Francisco. Food & service are always top notch. Don't miss the fried chicken. Parking lot Blue Plate eliminates tough street parking in the MissionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing & FabulousPlantGeekDined on 8/2/2014This was our first visit; it was fantastic!! Fried chicken was the best ever. I had visited the farmer's market earlier in the day & all the items on the menu where in prime season. My out-of-town guest was very impressedSpecial Features:
- waiter kept forgetting about usroseyjenDined on 8/1/2014good fabulous. everything we ordered was done to perfection, even the steak and my husband is a steak snob so to impress him is tough. we ordered wine when we sat down - which seemed to be picked off the vine as our appetizers were at the table first. our waiter just kept leaving and not coming back for very long periods of time. other staff kicked in and apologigized for our main - saying she was stuck 'upstairs'. we were 2 people, simple orders. should've just switched waiters so we felt attended to. all in all - highly recco food and ambience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentBernaliteDined on 7/31/2014Have never had a disappointing, or even "pretty good" meal - always excellent. Staff are always friendly and on top of all our needs.Special Features:
- Perfect!AnonymousDined on 7/30/2014From giving us the specific table we requested in our reservation to serving the best meatloaf I've ever eaten and one of the best macaroni and cheese dishes -again-. the experience was perfect. Through the years, it has always been perfect. It still is.Special Features:
- Lucky to be served by Alissa againHansDined on 7/28/2014I went back to Blue Plate the other night as a friend was in town. Made an appointment for 8pm, but got there 15 minutes early and was able to get a table right away (It was a Monday, which is a bit slower). Surprised that we had Alissa as our waitress again; she was our waitress a few weekends ago for my friend's birthday party. The fried chicken & mac & cheese were excellent as usual, and my friend really enjoyed her salmon. I'll be back again soon!Special Features:
- Excellent food!!MarcelleDined on 7/28/2014Wonderful service, beautifully presented dishes. Only drawback was that we were seated in the front room. The noise level was much to loud to have a pleasant conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulsprinklesDined on 7/26/2014We had a wonderful night at Blue Plate. The staff was fantastic and friendly and explained dishes without being pretentious. The food was delicious and fresh and just great. I highly recommend Blue Plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Dining Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/24/2014The best Salmon I have EVER eaten in an SF restaurant!! WOW.Special Features:
- Love it...but!!!DanremanDined on 7/24/2014Excellent food...excellent service. Sat outside on patio...perfect. Tried about everything on menu. Steak, salmon, chicken, meatloaf and pasta. Blue cheese saleplad, early girl tomato salad, chicken liver pate, fish carpaccio, deviled eggs. Excellent flavors and presentation. Some of the best food I have had in 'the city. Here is why it does not get five stars. I bought a bottle of red and a bottle of white. And a bottle of sparking cider. They charged me $20 corkage for all THREE. I do not mind paying a corkage fee. But $20---get real. They also charged a 10$ cake cut fee and I bought my own plates. I tipped 20 percent. Had I known about the corkage fee...I would hace reduced the rip by 25$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and foodEricVIPDined on 7/23/2014This is my second time at Blue Plate. The menu is not extensive, but the dishes are very interesting. I found this time that I wasn't sure what to expect when I ordered a dish and then it shows up and is phenomenal. We got off to a rocky start service wise, then they completely recovered. The white wine options are disappointing, so I had a red, which was very nice. A great neighborhood joint to go to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definition of blue platenurealamDined on 7/22/2014I found that the two under-40s that we took with us to the Blue Plate had never heard the expression "blue plate" before. Maybe the restaurant should include the definition/etymological history on its menu. Indeed it was good, straightforward American food with many of today's trendy culinary notes included (tahini, cocoa in the corn soup; basil blossom on the salmon--you get the picture). But it was very solid food. Fried chicken; salmon; bass carpaccio; octopus and ham; aforementioned corn soup: all very good. Interesting, extensive for a restaurant this size, reasonably priced wine list (a biggie plus). Impeccable service. Parking is not difficult (weekday evening). Noise level energetic but manageable tho the restaurant was not full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night..OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/18/2014Aside from our entrees arriving 10 minutes (not exaggerating) apart from each other. Everything was wonderful. Probably would have offered a free dessert instead of just apologizing... but that's me :) Food was excellent, as always. I had the meatloaf, my friend had the sirloin - we split a side of mac n cheese and the salad that had blue cheese... can't remember the name.Special Features:
- Interesting food perfectly cookedFoggyEthanVIPDined on 7/12/2014We had two starters, two mains (salmon and steak), and a side. All the dishes had interesting and tasty combinations of ingredients. The salmon and steak were cooked perfectly. Plus the wine was excellent, as it always is. A great meal.Special Features:
- surprise!!Mission13Dined on 7/5/2014I had walked past this place many times and thought it just a coffee shop. We had a group of six and got a last minute reservation. the food is great but the view from the back of the room was wonderful. I just did not expect itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love me some Blue Plate!scmavenVIPDined on 7/5/2014The meatloaf is one of the best things on the planet. Mushroom and onion strudel with nettles and figs. YUM! The only bummer about the night was the loud toddler at the nearby table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/28/2014Amazing as always. Never been disappointed with anything here, and hope I never will be! Outstanding food and a great wine list!
- Blue-Plate is a must-do!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Farro Appetizer. Deviled Eggs. Meat Loaf. Fried Chicken. Chocolate Cake. Key Lime Pie. Enough Said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent!cageyVIPDined on 6/11/2014Service and food are always fantastic at Blue Plate. One of our favorites!
- Everything outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/7/2014We we're amazed in that appetizer, entree, & dessert were all really outstanding. One of our best meals in SF in past year( & we dine all many times/week). The combination of tastes was phenomenal. And of course the bread was soooooo good. Service was very good & friendly. So happy to have Blue Plate a ten minute walk away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after 15 years.ZzzzzzVIPDined on 6/4/2014Food is still creative and delicious. Meatloaf still rocks. Our service was a bit slow the most recent visit but overall still a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Fantastic!breadfish82Dined on 5/29/2014I went with my husband for an anniversary for the first time. The ambiance was lovely and cozy, and waitstaff was laid back and professional. The wine list was superb (I started with a rose bubbly) and we tried a starter, salad, entree and side. Everything was wonderful, we each had a difficult time picking the best dish. I heartily recommend Blue Plate and I am already looking forward to going again. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2014This is one of my favorite spots! Food and service is consistently great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blue plate is definitely great eatspunkpointDined on 5/22/2014you can blindfold anyone and choose plates at random. it'll all be amazing, trust me. can't wait for my next experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beDoraDined on 5/22/2014We have been going to the Blue Plate for years and our last few times here have been disappointing. The menu has changed dramatically (new Chef?) and overall it suggests a feeling of trying too hard. The swordfish with lovage, yoghurt and chili oil was dry and bland and the nettle panisse was interesting but not to be ordered again. Where is the grilled romaine with bacon, the awesome lamb rib lets with raitia and so forth. We are taking a break from our old neighborhood gem.
- Great Local SpotClaudiaDined on 5/16/2014Comfort food at it's best! Excellent service. Servers allowed us to taste different wines before making a decision. Friendly, courteous and comfortable.Special Features:
- Exciting and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/15/2014Chef Sean Thomas pushes the envelope on suprises with his delicious and beautiful food and to enjoy it overlooking the back garden of the Blue Plate makes for a perfect evening. I've been coming here for 15 years and it never gets old, also fresh and wonderful.Special Features:
- as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014as usual Blue Place surprises you with a great new menu!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- finallyfinallyDined on 5/8/2014great service and delish food - i was thrilled to have finally made itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.